Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Religion/Spirituality in Sims 4

Comments

• EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    @sooozeeebeee I'm wondering if the Lot Trait "Private Dwelling" will make lots No Visitors unless invited there. As they can be added/removed on the fly, that would be great for parties at venues.
  • sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    @sooozeeebeee I'm wondering if the Lot Trait "Private Dwelling" will make lots No Visitors unless invited there. As they can be added/removed on the fly, that would be great for parties at venues.

That sounds like maybe something for residential lots? If it can be put on a community lot that might work. Having weddings on a residential lot should not be the only way to have a wedding with no party crashers. Anyway, going to have another wedding in game soon, and I am going to try and do a non prestige event and see if I have more lot options. I have never tried going to a generic lot. Maybe they have less random people showing up. I liked the feature "no visitors allowed" that we could toggle on or off on community lots in The Sims 3. That would solve lots of problems if we had that.

Weddings may be a topic of their own, but for me weddings mean churches, which we dont have, and churches are a part of Religion/Spirituality, so I guess I'm still on topic?
    EmmaVane wrote: »

That sounds like maybe something for residential lots? If it can be put on a community lot that might work. Having weddings on a residential lot should not be the only way to have a wedding with no party crashers. Anyway, going to have another wedding in game soon, and I am going to try and do a non prestige event and see if I have more lot options. I have never tried going to a generic lot. Maybe they have less random people showing up. I liked the feature "no visitors allowed" that we could toggle on or off on community lots in The Sims 3. That would solve lots of problems if we had that.

Weddings may be a topic of their own, but for me weddings mean churches, which we dont have, and churches are a part of Religion/Spirituality, so I guess I'm still on topic?

They said lot traits can be used on most lots including venues. If all it does is stop autonomous visitors, then it would work on both.
  • HarrisonHarrison Posts: 315 Member
    I know this is off topic but for some reason its no longer letting me post threads. (I already made some)
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I love the idea of having a Lot Trait like "Calm Place". You could use it for "worship" type lots but also for so many other things, like someone mentioned a cosy house, or a spa, or a tranquil park.

I remember reading in another thread somewhere (or was it early on here?) that it would be have been cool to have an "Enlightenment" aspiration added with Spa Day. Maybe an Aspiration would be another way to incorporate spirituality into the game. I play a lot of hippie characters for whom this would match well - I got a little sick of everyone choosing Freelance Botanist, haha.

Also, to people who keep repeating that the Jacobans represent Catholics and the Peterans represent Protestants - this is not true. The Jacobans represent secular Catholic clergy and the Peterans represent regular Catholic clergy. (Please note that "secular" and "regular" are technical religious terms when describing Catholicism - "secular" means part of the diocesan structure, whether it be bishop/priest/Pope, and "regular" means following a religious rule, like monks or friars.) There were no Protestants in medieval Christianity. If you want more details you can go back to my previous posts in this thread.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited September 2016
    JasonRMJ wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    there's like 1.1 billion atheist in the world and maybe the numbers are higher than I thought.
    It seems to me that people are leaving it for good....

I hope this thread gets closed and be forgotten it's really controversial to talk about it...

1 billion atheists leaves 6 billion religious. Why do you want to discriminate against such an overwhelming majority?

majority? of different religions?
    dude have you ever step outside of reality?

There's a massive number of variants(denomination) of Christianity that don't agree to each other because of a different belief of the religion itself, which causes separation not unification.
    not only that Islam has around four known denomination that is S'hia,Sunni,Ahmadiyya, & khawarij. Three of them are extremely narrow- minded, except for the Ahmadiyyas(Ahmadis) they are extremely tolerant and liberal minded but are highly discriminated by Sunnis which is really sad.
    For Judaism all I can say is that it actually discriminates all non-jews because they(Jews) believe that they're the chosen people of God,more separation at humanity.

have you not read any news about Myanmar buddhist attacking Rohingya muslims because the Rohingya's are not citizen of the country, they(rohingya) are treated like outcast and have limited rights.It astounds me to see that a peaceful religion/philosophy(Buddhism) that the Myanmar's has practice generation to generation are still blinded by hate.

honestly you're living in La La Land thinking that all religion are peaceful when in fact they're intolerant to each other even themselves.It irks me to see people trying to mix two/three/four etc religion together in hopes of making them coexist and ultimately fails at it, It's like mixing water and oil and they're(religions) belligerent to do so.

I'm not discriminating them they're discriminating themselves, they're so blinded by their religion, that they're truly selfish enough to segregate humanity...

This thread needs to get closed. too controversial to talk in this T rated game....

Please do not discuss real world religions here nor lump them all together. Some Unitarian Universalists are secular humanists, but are willing to band together with others with diverse beliefs to accomplish common goals like social justice or environmentalism or family support that they could not do as well alone. Criticizing others beliefs does not unite the community.

I absolutely forgot about Unitarian Universalist, they have a wonderful religion that are more accepting and open minded.
    also so that means I can't criticize others beliefs that's discriminating another belief?

Correct - criticizing others' beliefs divides the community rather than uniting it. Besides, this thread is not to criticize others' beliefs. It is to discuss features that could be used for multiple purposes - so that they could be interpreted for religious or secular beliefs, or interpreted for something completely unrelated to beliefs, but perhaps even related to politics. Politics tears people apart too, but it is possible to contemplate what sort of political system the Sims might have without discussing real-world politics. If someone wanted to put real-world politics in their game, they would have to create Sims that resembled real-life political figures, and possibly clubs with political interactions resembling some interactions taken by political groups, and add symbols to their game from real-life political groups. (Political groups tend to Evangelize too.) There could also be new interactions added like say a Protest interaction, or a table with a Start Petition interaction, or Sign Petition interaction. There could also be political objects, like voting booths, or the throne in Sims Medieval. So you see some similarities already.
    Post edited by SimsILikeSims on
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    Terra wrote: »
    I love the idea of having a Lot Trait like "Calm Place". You could use it for "worship" type lots but also for so many other things, like someone mentioned a cosy house, or a spa, or a tranquil park.

I remember reading in another thread somewhere (or was it early on here?) that it would be have been cool to have an "Enlightenment" aspiration added with Spa Day. Maybe an Aspiration would be another way to incorporate spirituality into the game. I play a lot of hippie characters for whom this would match well - I got a little sick of everyone choosing Freelance Botanist, haha.

Also, to people who keep repeating that the Jacobans represent Catholics and the Peterans represent Protestants - this is not true. The Jacobans represent secular Catholic clergy and the Peterans represent regular Catholic clergy. (Please note that "secular" and "regular" are technical religious terms when describing Catholicism - "secular" means part of the diocesan structure, whether it be bishop/priest/Pope, and "regular" means following a religious rule, like monks or friars.) There were no Protestants in medieval Christianity. If you want more details you can go back to my previous posts in this thread.

I love the idea of a "Calm Place" lot trait - would it make Sims inspired, happy, or focused when on the lot? Or would it just remove any negative moodlets, and calm down Hysterical or Mortified Sims? Would it humble "Very confident" Sims? What would it do to Energized Sims? Or Flirty Sims (perhaps Flirty Sims could have a Romantic Place lot trait - the Dine Out restaurants seem to have this already)? When Sims are having a wedding, if the Flirty mood is reduced, this could be an issue. It should definitely remove Tense moodlets. I could totally see this Lot trait applied to spas. Museums already tend to have an inspired vibe to them.

I think it is better not to discuss and compare RL religions to Sims Medieval religions. Everyone has their own opinion, though I can understand comparing RL religions that were dominant in medieval times to Sims Medieval religions, I think it is better not to do here.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,227 Member
    edited September 2016
    Calm place ? Sanctum !

Spiritual elevation and get rid of all their problems (uncomfortable, tense, sad, angry, bored and dazed).
  • SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    I like the idea, but I can't help feel like this will just cause more drama to the sims. I personally am a religious person, and to have that in my Sims game would connect me to it more. Although, I do think that the option should be able to be shut off as it seems society today isn't too accepting of this.
    giphy.gif
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited September 2016
    Terra wrote: »

I love the idea of a "Calm Place" lot trait - would it make Sims inspired, happy, or focused when on the lot? Or would it just remove any negative moodlets, and calm down Hysterical or Mortified Sims? Would it humble "Very confident" Sims? What would it do to Energized Sims? Or Flirty Sims (perhaps Flirty Sims could have a Romantic Place lot trait - the Dine Out restaurants seem to have this already)? When Sims are having a wedding, if the Flirty mood is reduced, this could be an issue. It should definitely remove Tense moodlets. I could totally see this Lot trait applied to spas. Museums already tend to have an inspired vibe to them.

I think it is better not to discuss and compare RL religions to Sims Medieval religions. Everyone has their own opinion, though I can understand comparing RL religions that were dominant in medieval times to Sims Medieval religions, I think it is better not to do here.

With TSM it's a matter of historical reality rather than an opinion. But I completely agree that RL religions shouldn't be seriously implemented into TS4 so I won't go on about it here - I just get annoyed when I see this historical inaccuracy being perpetuated since I've been studying medieval church history for years now and get a bit tired of it being misrepresented.

I really like all of your ideas for a "Calm Place" lot trait. You could use it in so many ways. For example, even if your Sim lived in a very stressful neighbourhood, like an apartment full of crazy people, their own space which they decorate to their own taste could be designated a "Calm Place" since it's their own private oasis from the chaos. I wonder whether we'll be able to give Lot Traits to vacation lots? You could also give some of those attributes to places in Granite Falls.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    The game is already on the way to cthulhuism, having a tenticled monster under the bed and all. :p

Why choose the lesser evil? Amirite.
    Well, there was an alter in with the Day Of The Dead stuff. It would have been nice to have a solid white as one of the color choices, but I guess it's something, and it's a start.
    edited September 2016
    Well, there was an alter in with the Day Of The Dead stuff. It would have been nice to have a solid white as one of the color choices, but I guess it's something, and it's a start.

It's just a regular console table with a table cloth.

If you want a solid stone one, there is a marble one in Dine Out.

5dd978914b.jpg
    @EmmaVane I never noticed that one before.
  • TheoriesOfHappinessTheoriesOfHappiness Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited September 2016
    i would love to see this implemented, but from a coding perspective, i'm not sure how they could properly implement polytheism and monotheism without making it more of a "club-based" system, and having to appoint a "leader" to each religion, if that makes sense?

i loved the religion in TSM, because it was clearly a false religion but still gave that faith aspect to the sims (they even had moodlets that affected sims positively and negatively when they were agnostic or aligned with a specific faith), but i agree with some others in the thread that i would like a polytheistic religion option as well.
  • hotkakihotkaki Posts: 119 Member
    Here's my idea for religions in the sims, a religion system could work nice in the game but only if it is JUST a little bit based on real life religions and not more than that. We could have a religion that is based on both Judaism&Christianity&Islam (since they're all monotheistic religions) They could be called Llama Lovers or something like that and pray to the Llama god, ask him for things,be angry at him some times if like somebody they love died or they get cheated on,maybe see a vision of him when they wake up after sleeping sometimes if they have the "insane" trait,go to a "church looking like" lot with a Llama logo instead of a cross, and their pastor could be dressed as an i don't know, maybe latin Llama farmer like in peru?\or have a robe with llama faces on it :D(ofcourse they could get married in these types of lots and the "pastor" type npc will marry them. Also there should be a religion based on the Eastern religions like hinduism and buddaism, which could go well with Wellness skill and meditation but maybe a bit different so it could be exclusive to it, they would also pray but in a different way,and have ceremonies. Maybe both religion followers sims wouldn't eat certain food, and maybe there will be new foods in game exclusive to the religions and maybe a "spiritual" music station (just one, not for each religion, it would be general spiritual).Also A "voodoo" type religion could be nice. Maybe all three religions could believe in like three different animal lords or creatures that the sims team will create, that would be cool and cute and not offensive to any one. Also all sims should be born without a religion and choose one only if they want to as teens. Of course anyone can always leave or change a religion. and maybe we could get new traits such as spiritual- that feels happy and peaceful once following a religion, and maybe a trait that makes sims hate religion and feel stressed when being in a religion group and in religion lots. Also maybe a one new career similar to a pastor but would be called something else of course, and it would have 3 different paths based on what religion you're in. What do you guys think?
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    What do you guys think?

I think if it were ever implemented in the game the players should get the tools, and only the tools, to create what they want and Maxis should stay out of the rest.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
    What do you guys think?

I think if it were ever implemented in the game the players should get the tools, and only the tools, to create what they want and Maxis should stay out of the rest.
    What do you mean? explain please
    hotkaki wrote: »
    What do you guys think?

Let's say the player wanted to create their own Llama Lovers religious club. The Llama costume would be one tool. Or perhaps modders could create CAS clothing that would match what you wanted. Modders could create the Llama logo and put it on a sign. That would be easy to do. Or, EA/Maxis could put the Llama logo on a sign with object information indicating it is for a stadium or bar. If the logo was controversial, it should be left up to modders to do. A create-your-own-sign tool would be very cool - the player could do what currently only modders do: pick a picture with certain specifics (file type, size of picture, resolution of picture) and incorporate it into a wall hanging with a frame. I remember we had a tool like that for Sims 1. (I probably have it backed up on CD somewhere, or maybe CTO Sims has a copy). Build tools that could make a lot look like a church/cathedral/temple would be cool. As to marriage, the wedding arch in Sims 2 was a good way to go: it could be placed indoors or outside. As to funerals, perhaps there could be a "look in coffin" interaction on a coffin object (for funerals with open coffin). The podium object could be interpreted multiple ways - sermons, speeches, services, and lectures. As to not eating certain foods, the return of the Vegetarian trait would be welcomed. If religions in the Sims were set up like clubs, the player could choose what ages could be included - teen and older, young adult and older, or children and older. A "Speak together" interaction would have multiple purposes, as would a "sing together" interaction, or even a "kneel together" interaction. Also, single objects with kneel interactions could be used. Those objects could be modded to look like anything you want them to look like. I remember in Sims 1, there were objects like this that used the "Plea with Grim Reaper" animations. I believe they were created by modders. An alternative would be a "Kneeling Mat", a rug basically that Sims kneel on. A new venue, called perhaps a "Clubhouse Venue" would be useful. A "spiritual" trait would probably be too controversial: modders already can make custom traits, so this would probably be one for the modders to tackle. Creating specific deities for Sims by EA would also be too controversial. Which deities the Sims should worship should be left up to the players. A "Custom" radio station like Sims 3 had, only in addition to the stations Sims 4 already has, could be used just the same as a religious music radio station, only without having to call it that. The player can already add their own mp3's to the game's existing radio stations.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I dont think thats a good idea implement religion might make people not want to buy it
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    hotkaki wrote: »
    What do you guys think?

Let's say the player wanted to create their own Llama Lovers religious club. The Llama costume would be one tool. Or perhaps modders could create CAS clothing that would match what you wanted. Modders could create the Llama logo and put it on a sign. That would be easy to do. Or, EA/Maxis could put the Llama logo on a sign with object information indicating it is for a stadium or bar. If the logo was controversial, it should be left up to modders to do. A create-your-own-sign tool would be very cool - the player could do what currently only modders do: pick a picture with certain specifics (file type, size of picture, resolution of picture) and incorporate it into a wall hanging with a frame. I remember we had a tool like that for Sims 1. (I probably have it backed up on CD somewhere, or maybe CTO Sims has a copy). Build tools that could make a lot look like a church/cathedral/temple would be cool. As to marriage, the wedding arch in Sims 2 was a good way to go: it could be placed indoors or outside. As to funerals, perhaps there could be a "look in coffin" interaction on a coffin object (for funerals with open coffin). The podium object could be interpreted multiple ways - sermons, speeches, services, and lectures. As to not eating certain foods, the return of the Vegetarian trait would be welcomed. If religions in the Sims were set up like clubs, the player could choose what ages could be included - teen and older, young adult and older, or children and older. A "Speak together" interaction would have multiple purposes, as would a "sing together" interaction, or even a "kneel together" interaction. Also, single objects with kneel interactions could be used. Those objects could be modded to look like anything you want them to look like. I remember in Sims 1, there were objects like this that used the "Plea with Grim Reaper" animations. I believe they were created by modders. An alternative would be a "Kneeling Mat", a rug basically that Sims kneel on. A new venue, called perhaps a "Clubhouse Venue" would be useful. A "spiritual" trait would probably be too controversial: modders already can make custom traits, so this would probably be one for the modders to tackle. Creating specific deities for Sims by EA would also be too controversial. Which deities the Sims should worship should be left up to the players. A "Custom" radio station like Sims 3 had, only in addition to the stations Sims 4 already has, could be used just the same as a religious music radio station, only without having to call it that. The player can already add their own mp3's to the game's existing radio stations.
    But I kinda feel that something like a religion is too big of a thing and complicated to work the same as the get together clubs. I mean it would be a little weird to have like 10 religions around my town that each one includes like 6 or five people.it would just be groups and not a religion . Also I feel like it should not really be customizable because it's would be a complicated system that would include a full lifestyle and new interactions and not just being exclusive by doing 5 general things you can choose and not doing 5 general things. (No shade to the get together clubs system, I love it. But I would not love it if religions worked like it)
    There should be in my opinion only two or three big maxis made up religions that would similar to the religions in the sims medieval.
    From screenshots I've seen it looks like there is a kneeling animation coming with the Day of the Dead event.

Sims kneel down to lay an offering at graves.

I'm sure modders will make use of it.
  • EternalRoseEternalRose Posts: 763 Member
    I think it would be great, I want my game to be more realistic, but keep the Sim's sense of humor so it's still fun to play. I know EA could pull this off. I think it would be a great addition, especially with the new City Life EP that is coming out soon. It would make the game even more complex & diverse adding religions.

It would be good if they decide to do it to have a button in game options that allows you to turn it on/off for the people that don't want it in their game. ;)

I would love it in mine, it would be cool if our sims could have more traditional (All the cultures around the world, like Catholic, Jewish, African, etc.) weddings. :) And stuff like daily devotion & church one Sunday, or other days of the week depending on the religion.

I think it could also be a good learning tool, for those of us that want to learn more about other cultures, their views on the world & their religious/ spiritual beliefs. I love to learn about other cultures so, I think this is a great idea. ;)
  • auramarisauramaris Posts: 154 Member
    It'd be okay if the religion was fictional and not inspired by one religion system only.
    From what I'm seeing here some people want similar objects/lots christians use and I don't think it's a good idea to implement one type of religion in the game. We already have some christian representation with the christmas set, easter eggs etc. This game is played worldwide and they would have to represent all of the belief systems of those players with an addition like that which would take a lot of time and effort.

I don't think sims is a game to implement real life religions and I wouldn't play with that but some people here said they already play with religion as they're sending their families to church, having wedding ceremonies there etc. and that's how sims is meant to be played, by using your imagination in subjects like these.

And to be honest, there are more crucial stuff to be added in the game before religions.