Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

can't get the sims 4 icon to close, computer won't shut down

When i go to exit from my Sims 4 game, everything is fine it closes, but the icon for the sims 4 stays in my bar on my mac. Ive tried force quitting it and it will not work. When i click restart or shut down on my mac, it closes all windows that are open but does not actual preform the act. If i try to open another window during this (ex. safari) the window closes immediately and i get a message saying the computer is shutting down blah blah blah, but still does not shut down. The only way i have been able to make the sims 4 icon and game fully turn off is by forcing my mac to shut off, which i do not like doing. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. I've taken my sims4 folder out of documents and onto my desktop to try and see if maybe its mods/CC but still same thing happens. I'm not really sure what else to do. The game its self works perfectly fine and i can do everything but even though the game looks like its exited, it doesn't seem to have actually done so. If i press f3 on my mac and bring up my different window choices, it shows the sims 4 game is still there but its just a black screen. If i drag that onto my desktop to close it, the icon still stays in my bar and my computer still won't restart. I would like to play my game but do not want to have to force quit my laptop every time. please help!

Comments

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Sounds like perhaps you have something interfering with the game itself. Do you use CC or mods? And have you tried to repair Sims 4 on Origin? Just asking a few opening questions so we can help you out.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • erikachristineerikachristine Posts: 15 Member
    Sounds like perhaps you have something interfering with the game itself. Do you use CC or mods? And have you tried to repair Sims 4 on Origin? Just asking a few opening questions so we can help you out.

Hi,

I said above that i took the mods/CC out of play to see if that was the issue and i also uninstalled and reinstalled the sims 4.
    So im not really sure what else to do :\
    Log into Sims 4 through Origin, but don't start up the game immediately. Hover the pointer over the game "cover" and right click on your mouse to bring up a list of options. One of those should be "Repair Game". Try that and see if that helps.
  • katie2899katie2899 Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi,

I would like to just say that I am too having the same problem as erikachristine, but I haven’t had any luck fixing the problem. :'(

I have tried Repairing the game, just like Tremayne4260 suggests…but nothing… The only way that I can exit the game is to first save, and then instead of exiting via the sims menu, I open up force quit window and force quit the sims 4…I don’t like doing it this way but it’s the only way that I can avoid force shutting it down.

I have never had any problems with my sims 4…this is the only time…I can only assume that this problem has occurred since the last update.

If anyone does come up with a solution please do tell!! ;)

Katie :)
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Can you disable Origin in game for Sims 4? Hover over the game in your games library and click on i. Then click on Game Properties and check the box next to Disable Origin in game for this game.
    apple-signature.png
    Log into Sims 4 through Origin, but don't start up the game immediately. Hover the pointer over the game "cover" and right click on your mouse to bring up a list of options. One of those should be "Repair Game". Try that and see if that helps.

It didn't work, icon still in my doc, still can't force quit and still can't shutdown my computer without forcing it to shutdown :(
    Can you disable Origin in game for Sims 4? Hover over the game in your games library and click on i. Then click on Game Properties and check the box next to Disable Origin in game for this game.

This didn't work either :(

katie2899 wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to just say that I am too having the same problem as erikachristine, but I haven’t had any luck fixing the problem. :'(

I have tried Repairing the game, just like Tremayne4260 suggests…but nothing… The only way that I can exit the game is to first save, and then instead of exiting via the sims menu, I open up force quit window and force quit the sims 4…I don’t like doing it this way but it’s the only way that I can avoid force shutting it down.

I have never had any problems with my sims 4…this is the only time…I can only assume that this problem has occurred since the last update.

If anyone does come up with a solution please do tell!! ;)

I can exit out of my sims 4, the icon just doesn't leave my dock on my mac book and i can't shutdown my computer, i have to force shutdown my computer not my game.
    Is Origin still open when this happens? When you try to shut down have you gone to Force Quit and it says 'program not responding' or similar in red?
    apple-signature.png
    Is Origin still open when this happens? When you try to shut down have you gone to Force Quit and it says 'program not responding' or similar in red?

Tried that. currently it seems the only way i can make it officially exit is if i force quit the game instead of exiting the game. If i exit the game like normal and try to force quit it doesn't say anything, it just says "are you sure you want to force quite etc.." and i click force quit but nothing happens.
    I tried to exit origin with the game open but it says i can't close origin if the sims 4 in running.
    Ok. Can you try resetting Origin? This is a great tool that EA have made available for Mac users and can fix a myriad of issues with the game - http://help.ea.com/uk/article/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

apple-signature.png
  • kenz0105kenz0105 Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm having this exact same problem. I've tried resetting Origin, but I still have the problem.
    Try simply saving the game first. Then exit. Never save and exit at the same time. It can cause your game to become corrupt.
    Anybody having any luck with this issue? I thought that after the update it might fix it, but I’m still having the same problem… :'(
    Seen quite a few of these posts now. Please could you all post what Macs you have and what version of OS X you're using? Also, what game packs you have installed.
    apple-signature.png
    I have a iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011), with OS X El Captitan, Version 10.11.5.

The game packs I have installed are
    • The Sims 4 - Digital Delux
    • Get to Work
    • Spa Day
    • Outdoor Retreat

If you require any more information, just let me know.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
    processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

OS X El Captitan, Version 10.11.5

The sims 4 deluxe edition with get to work and outdoor retreat
    tried resetting origin. Didn't work. current if i save the game and force quit it while in play, it goes away.
    I've started an info request thread over on AHQ if anyone is registered and would like to post their details - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/INFO-REQUEST-Sims-4-not-quitting/m-p/5382646#U5382646

It would really help me if people posted there and the info would get to EA quicker than over here :)
    apple-signature.png
    @katie2899 please could you provide more info on your Mac? Like the specific processor and graphics card and how much RAM you have installed. Thanks :)

@erikachristine how much RAM do you have installed?
    apple-signature.png
    @katie2899 please could you provide more info on your Mac? Like the specific processor and graphics card and how much RAM you have installed. Thanks :)

apple-signature.png
    edited June 2016
    Urgh, double post :angry:
    apple-signature.png

Sorry for being slow getting back to you…

My Mac info:

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)
    Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Please let me know if you require any more info. :)

Thanks again!