Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Art Commune Reading Circle

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    1) What do you think was a defining moment (or moments) for Rachel in Generation 1?

The Interview: Rachel seems so innocent going into her interview with Mayor Silver Rackett--then, it's all downhill from there! I really loved the chapters where Rachel was working for Silver--it was so interesting to get to see how Rachel's mind worked and to watch as her allegiances shifted as she began to calculate what was most to her advantage.

In terms of the writing, once the story moves to WordPress, it becomes novel-like. I really enjoyed this WordPress chapter: Eager Appetites. Something about seeing that big block of text right after the first screenshot made my heart sing, and I felt myself settle into the joy of reading--all that anticipation of hours of immersion! :)

Hornet on the Loose defined Rachel's personality: She's not afraid to make enemies. Then, of course, this continues with Tragic Theatrics. At first, I was rooting for Rachel's unconventional lifestyle and her willingness to dispense with all the social conventions of the town. But in retrospect, I see that this was the beginning of her isolation: All she has are the Racketts, and they're hardly able to provide her with any type of emotional support or healthy interactions. She rose in political power, but she gave up any chance at having a healthy life for it.

The chapters with Lolly getting tutored by Sinbad are defining for Lolly and Sinbad (those are some of my favorite chapters of the generation).

Silver's Swim definitely stands out as a break-away chapter, really defining the entire family.

Max's Threat is one of those chapters that seals so many fates--After this chapter, there's no turning back.

For Bill, Bill's Drinking Buddy stands as a defining moment. We learn so much about him here.

Because the story is so well constructed, all of the dramatic moments in Part 4 come out of the defining moments of the previous parts (particularly those I've mentioned above--at least in my reading of this). So when we get to the Part 4 drama, it brings satisfying resolution--everything's been building to it.

This generation is such an accomplishment of writing--it holds together beautifully!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    'Nother day, 'nother question! :D

2) What do you think were some of the other characters' defining moments (i.e. Shark, Lolly, Sinbad, Bill, Dennis, etc)?

Oops! I think I touched upon this above!

With Shark
    It's definitely the time when his grand-dad paid for his "birthday present." That was so sick. And what makes it even more iconic is that something really similar happens in @InfraGreen and @rednenemon 's worlds! Poor Shark. There's just something about his vulnerability that makes him such an epic icon.

For Lolly, the trip to Roaring Heights seems significant.

For Sinbad, to me, it's those last few chapters! Yay for owning up to feelings! :)

For Bill... definitely Bill's Drinking Buddy. And then, the shift he experiences after the hits and the birth of his second child feel significant. Also, that snowy chapter where
    he saves Hope from their burning home... I love that chapter in so many ways. The writing feels understated, beautifully, because it's obvious that so much is happening. And then I love the screenshots and the contrast of the white with all the awfulness in the human environment.

With Dennis, Silver's Swim seemed very significant to me as a reader--I'm not sure it's that significant of an event for him as a character, but for me as reader, that chapter let me understand him and his marriage. Heart-breaking.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    Sorry for being so absent, guys! I'm hoping I can be around more next week. I don't know what free time is anymore. :astonished:

Anyway, I see @CathyTea has already given really good answers to @AdamsEve1231 's questions, and I agree with pretty much everything Cathy has said about CFT. :)

I think for me, the really defining moment for Rachel was when she started planning on either getting a better position than the Rackets around her, and especially when she decided to try to take down Max and the criminal business. Those moments really proved that she's an iron-willed woman ready to do pretty much anything it takes to fulfil her ambitious goals.

For the other characters... well, poor Shark and his "birthday present". Yikes. It was also one of the defining moments for Max. And Dennis... the first time he showed he wasn't quite as crooked as the rest of the Rackets. I can't remember specifically what that moment was, because Dennis has so many awesome moments. :) Oh, and Marigold being friendly towards Rachel while also giving the impression that her past is also dark.

Sorry for being so vague. I have to run to do some more schoolwork in a few minutes, so I don't have time to check the chapters. :( But I really wanted to say something about this story here.

As for favourite character... I like pretty much all of them, but I have to say my favourite is Dennis. He's my favourite in @rednenemon 's Chronicles too, so that carried over to CFT a bit, but even without taking that to account, I love the not-bad-but-complicated character who's stuck in a bad situation but also tries to be as decent as he can. The way he takes care of his family even when his own life is so messed up and even when most of his family isn't grateful about it, is just awesome (though not very healthy for him).

I really also like Sinbad. He's just a lot of fun, with plenty of layers to him. He's kind of a sweetheart, but also really rough around the edges.

Also I can't really say that the next one's my favourite, because I really, REALLY don't like him as a person, but I think Max had such an impact on the story, and his scenes were always fascinatingly disgusting and/or creepy that I have to mention him.

And I have to mention Marigold too! She was such an endearing lady, and she was very interesting with her crooked backstory that she couldn't remember.

I have to get back to the rest of the questions later. I'll try to drop by every now and then. Have a lovely time! :)
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @CathyTea and @RipuAncestor Thank you for your answers. I really appreciate it. I wanted some feedback to affirm that Generation 1 was actually okay despite my switch in focus a few times. I have a strange love-hate relationship with Rachel. Sometimes I want to smack her and sometimes I want to hug her. Haha... she was an intriguing and complex character to write, as were all the Rackets.
    I did not read far enough in Eight Cicadas or Racket Rotter Chronicles to really know about Shark's similar situations so I'm surprised to hear you @CathyTea say that, but it's interesting to know. Poor guy. That was a really hard chapter for me to write. And the later more recent chapters with him. I hope to give him some semblance of happiness in the future.

I'm glad you both enjoyed reading, and again, thanks for the positive feedback. :)
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Forgive the horrible lateness of this - Are you feeling better, @friendsfan367?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Hey everyone, we should have a birthday party for @rednenemon. I'll have time this evening... but for now, let's start with a puppy hug fest and whatever baked good you like best, @rednenemon. Let me know. I bake almost everything.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Hey everyone, we should have a birthday party for @rednenemon. I'll have time this evening... but for now, let's start with a puppy hug fest and whatever baked good you like best, @rednenemon. Let me know. I bake almost everything.

Happy birthday , Senna ! Tea? Coffee? Strawberries ? I'll bring flowers from the garden !

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

Happy birthday , Senna ! Tea? Coffee? Strawberries ? I'll bring flowers from the garden !

happy birthday.

yeah one less confusion . both senna and trip have posted on my wp. but i kept wondering who was who after a while asking is kind of weird.
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    Happy birthday, @rednenemon ! Partyyyyyy! :sunglasses:
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member

I am strangely partial to carbonated beverages myself. :p
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    rednenemon wrote: »

How about old-fashioned root beer? Or... sarsaparilla? Or good old-fashioned cream soda? Yum! With vanilla flavoring!

• Options
    @rednenemon

here's the flowers from the garden for you! :)
    04161702.jpg

• Options
    rednenemon wrote: »

How about old-fashioned root beer? Or... sarsaparilla? Or good old-fashioned cream soda? Yum! With vanilla flavoring!

whats saparilla again. i had it a long time ago at knotts berry farm but can't remember.
  • Options
    @rednenemon

04161702.jpg

i alllergic to outside. i mean that literally. what are those?
  • Options
    @rednenemon

04161702.jpg

i meant the names i know there flowers.
  • Options
    @rednenemon

04161702.jpg

Ummm.... the blue is Victoria Blue Salvia. The pink are Gerbera daisies. Violas are the little purple-white ones in the left. :) Thank you for asking! I love to talk about my garden! :)

• Options
    @rednenemon

04161702.jpg

Ummm.... the blue is Victoria Blue Salvia. The pink are Gerbera daisies. Violas are the little purple-white ones in the left. :) Thank you for asking! I love to talk about my garden! :)

your welcome. yeah i'm alergic to oustside well grass dust and pollen so i rely on you for names of nature things. i love hearing about your garden.
  • Options
    Since we're talking about carbonated beverages... and root beer... :) How about root beer cupcakes with chocolate frosting? I made them once. I don't have a picture of mine, but here's what they look like...
    IMG_3797-3.jpg
    Hope you had a wonderful day, @rednenemon!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @rednenemon

04161702.jpg

Oh beautiful flowers, @CathyTea! Thanks for sharing! Tell us more about your garden... I love gardening too.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Oh and puppy hug fest as promised... tee hee hee... :)
    This is too cute... right? It's not my own image,
    but it's adorable so I had to share. 31087A6B00000578-0-image-a-129_1455052073085.jpg

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    I've made 901 posts on my blog! :o