Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will I be able to put my saved sims 3 game onto a new computer?

I'm going computer shopping in a few days and I also have a memory stick. I heard that I will just need to copy the saved folder etc and put it on my stick, then put the folders in the same location on the new laptop. Wouldn't hurt to try I guess. My game is also registered and with Origin.

Comments

• cameonet1950cameonet1950 Posts: 2,138 Member
    I bookmarked this because I'm wondering the same since I have to get a new PC too. My son is loaning me his external hard-drive to backup my important folders/files so I hope someone has the answer and SOON!
    TS3Siggy.jpg
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I copied over my entire Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder to another hard drive when I reinstalled everything onto a new SSD, and later when I installed Win 10 from scratch. I just copied it back after reinstalling TS3 and it works fine (both times).

Backing up just the Saves folder should work too. I'd also keep the Library folder, Downloads folder, Mods folder if you have one, Collections folder if you have any custom collections, and SavedSims folder.
  • napoleonwrassenapoleonwrasse Posts: 310 Member
    I would save your whole folder. If you don't I would save what TreyNutz said and your DCache as it has all your store content and CC installed as simpacks.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Some players have found that their installed store content did not work when the entire game folder was transferred over and they ended up having to use the Launcher to redo all of it. I did not have this problem the one time I moved things to a new system (several years and patch levels ago). Ongoing saved games should always be fine on a new system, provided one has the required EPs installed and enough of their content brought over to make them playable.

But you do have to actually install TS3 and its EP/SPs on a new system, with or without Origin. The programs themselves cannot be moved in any way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Thank you SO much, @igazor! Yeah, it's going to take a LONG time to backup everything on an external HD, reinstall all of the games, etc. I'm not looking forward to this but ALL of the "Electronic GODS" are forcing me/us to upgrade. Someone told me that Microsoft no longer services/supports Windows 7 so I guess I'm looking at Windows 10 now. GAG! Wish me luck!
    TS3Siggy.jpg
    edited May 2016
    Support from MS for Win 7 runs out in January 2020, it's Vista that is going out of support next. The tricky part for a non-corporate customer might be purchasing a new computer with Win 7 pre-installed on it. It shouldn't be impossible, though. But by now there shouldn't be much wrong with a new computer that starts out with Win 10 in the beginning as opposed to being upgraded to it.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    Support from MS for Win 7 runs out in January 2020, it's Vista that is going out of support next. The tricky part for a non-corporate customer might be purchasing a new computer with Win 7 pre-installed on it. It shouldn't be impossible, though. But by now there shouldn't be much wrong with a new computer that starts out with Win 10 in the beginning as opposed to being upgraded to it.

6-19-16: Wow! I've been meaning to THANK YOU but got caught up in the "doings" on my new kick-A$$ PC. I'm sure you know THAT drill. Much to my astonishment, all of the TS3 re-installs from Origin and transfers from backed up folders saved on an external hard-drive worked swimmingly! Admittedly, it was scary but I did it. B) My son built this amazing PC himself and was sure to get what was needed for hard-core gamers. We opted for Windows 7 since there were too many negative reports about Windows 10. So far, the game is running better than it EVER has...knock on wood. Thanks again! <3
    TS3Siggy.jpg
    @cameonet1950 - You are very welcome, glad I could help in some small way. Enjoy your game on its new home. You now have a computer that can probably run circles around the best I've got without even trying. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    @cameonet1950 - You are very welcome, glad I could help in some small way. Enjoy your game on its new home. You now have a computer that can probably run circles around the best I've got without even trying. :)

SMALL way? Are you kidding? This was MAJOR help! Huge BEAR HUG and many kisses all OVER your face! <3
    TS3Siggy.jpg