Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Invisible Sims 4 Players Exist?

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member

Are they the ones keeping the game afloat?

From an article on a gaming site:
The Invisible Gamers

I grill my friends relentlessly about their gaming habits.

I have a pretty good network of close friends and acquaintances, and they share many traits that make them attractive to the gaming industry. Most are in their mid-30s, and they have a pretty good disposable income. They may game for an hour or two a night after the kids go to sleep. They upgrade their PCs every few years, and buy two games or so a month.

And they're completely invisible to the industry outside of their gaming purchases.

HOW MANY OF THEM ARE THERE?
It's tricky to track the number of these "invisible gamers," but my gut says there are way more of them than there are of us. And by "us," I mean people who read gaming news on a daily basis, and talk about games on our social networks. We read reviews the day they come out and argue about review scores. We may post comments on articles like this one, and talk to developers on Twitter.

We're loud; everyone knows we're here.

Many people I know, on the other hand, just play games. They may look up a review or two when a new game comes out, but they look at commenting on articles or arguing about review scores the same way most of us look at our parents talking to the TV when a presidential candidate they don't like is on.

This is the gamer that companies try to reach by running trailers in movie theaters, because the reach of gaming media is much more limited than we like to admit. We speak to the people who are engaged in the hobby enough to care about the day-to-day news of gaming, but these invisible gamers aren't reading many articles about the games they buy. They don't interact with the hobby on a regular basis outside of their purchases and actual play time.

They may even see the maelstrom of controversy over a review score as something actively keeping them from interacting more directly with the hobby. I often talk to people about the daily arguments in gaming, and they look at me like I'm making stuff up. They're adults who don't really care about the Metacritic score of a game; they just want something that's fun that they can play with their friends, or a game they can spend some time with alone at the end of the day.

They fascinate me because I don't reach them, outside of my personal friends sometimes reading my columns to be polite. And there are millions of people like them, who will see my N7 hoodie and ask if there's ever going to be a new Mass Effect, and I'll tell them what's going on with the release date. They're the ones who play Call of Duty without watching every trailer, and go into retail stores just to browse and see what's new.

The invisible gamers are the reason I'm leery of calling the number of dislikes on a trailer any indication of actual consumer behavior. The majority of the people who will buy either the new Call of Duty or Battlefield game are likely unaware that a movement for likes or dislikes on YouTube exists for either game, and they may not have even seen the trailers yet.

THEY DON'T INTERACT WITH THE HOBBY ON A REGULAR BASIS OUTSIDE OF THEIR PURCHASES AND ACTUAL PLAY TIME

I asked my Twitter followers if they thought that the like-to-dislike ratio on these games meant that Battlefield was going to outsell Call of Duty this year, and next to no one said yes. Fans may post stats about each trailer as evidence that one will do better than the other, but the person making funny memes about Activision isn't speaking for a large movement of gamers in relation to the size of the market. We're all throwing pebbles into the ocean and pretending the ripples are waves.

The vocal gamers are the visible upper crust of the hobby, but those who move silently hold most of the power, simply due to their buying habits. Publishers don't really care if we don't like them on Twitter or argue about them on the forums; they care where people spend their money.

So I grilled my friends, who are a limited and self-selected representative of the silent majority of people who just buy and enjoy games. How did they hear about Stellaris? Apparently, many people on their Steam friends list were playing, and they looked up the trailer and liked what they saw, so they bought it. How did they get hooked on Overwatch? It was promoted on Battle.net and they saw it when they logged in to play Diablo. If they're bored, they may just look at the new and top-selling games on Steam and pick something to buy on a whim.

But they don't interact with sites like this one, they're not leaving comments on trailers, and they're certainly not arguing on Twitter. They're living their lives and playing games in their spare time. For me, and for much of the industry, they're completely invisible until they interact via purchases.

It's important to know that they're out there, and that those of us who are loud about our habits and interact vocally with the industry may not match them in size or importance. We don't speak for what could be the silent majority of gamers, and likely never will. Marketing budgets in the millions are spent trying to reach them, and the vocal minority of gamers may understate their own importance simply due to the fact these silent folks don't exist in a meaningful way outside of our real-life social circles.

Whatever controversy boils up today, these invisible gamers may be completely ignorant of it, and are likely happier with the hobby due to that fact. The tempest may feel big, but the teapot may be much smaller in relation to the actual market than we like to admit.

The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Polygon as an organization.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/11/11656126/the-invisible-gamers

Comments

• Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited May 2016
    I think that it's all Simmers registered or non-registered that keeps this The Sims Franchise going. A video game franchise only keeps going so long as there enough people out there that are willing to buy, and play the game. That's whom I think that keeps The Sims Franchise going. ;)
    Post edited by sunman502 on
  • Options
    I think he makes a valid point. The simmers on the forum, and Facebook, and Twitter could account for a small fraction of the Sims 4 sales and the majority of those purchasing have no knowledge of the discontent and probably don't care.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2016
    I was one before I joined forums. Hard to tell actually. Usually we kept quiet for years for a reason because online community can be overwhelming. Thank goodness forums are small. I don't think I could have handled being around a lot of Simmers at first. It's scary especially with all the "sides" fights to even get involved with the Sims 4 community. Online community still scares me sometimes. I felt like I was going to have a social anxiety panic attack just trying Twitch for the first time. XD Thank goodness SimGuruGraham and SimGuruSteve were so nice to me. Helped adjusting to a new environment. I remember SimGuruAzure, SimGuruDaniel, and SimGuruBChick were really kind towards me when I joined forums and tried the Ask the Guru sessions for the first time.

My brother stopped playing the Sims with the Sims 2. My sister stopped playing with the Sims 3. So my siblings were also invisible players.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    I think he makes a valid point. The simmers on the forum, and Facebook, and Twitter could account for a small fraction of the Sims 4 sales and the majority of those purchasing have no knowledge of the discontent and probably don't care.
    The Simmers that aren't registered to any Sims based site doesn't care. Or doesn't have the time to join a community site because they might play The Sims for an hour or two. Then either play another video game, or go to work or school, depending on the time where they are.

• Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    I was an invisible gamer for years. Changed just before TS4 was released because of these forums, actually. I came on here to give feedback on the CAS Demo and ended up staying. And then I made friends on here and started playing games with them. Now I tend to play more MP and coop games than SP games these days. But for TS2 and TS3, I never came to the forums or chatted with other simmers. I just played my game, bought the packs I wanted and enjoyed the games and never knew there were discussions, arguments or debates on the forums over the various features that were and weren't included.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Oh they know sometimes. There are news blogs and ways to keep up with what is happening with the Sims without visiting forums or social media, but you are right, most don't care enough to comment about it. I kind of miss my Sims hermit days.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    ebuchala wrote: »
    I was an invisible gamer for years. Changed just before TS4 was released because of these forums, actually. I came on here to give feedback on the CAS Demo and ended up staying. And then I made friends on here and started playing games with them. Now I tend to play more MP and coop games than SP games these days. But for TS2 and TS3, I never came to the forums or chatted with other simmers. I just played my game, bought the packs I wanted and enjoyed the games and never knew there were discussions, arguments or debates on the forums over the various features that were and weren't included.
    I too started out as an invisible Simmer during The Sims 1 years, and part of The Sims 2 years. I had joined the community under another name about a year or so into Sims 2's run. And then I had stayed in the shadows until about a year into Sims 3's run. And then I had became more active in The Sims Community after that. :)

• Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    Oh they know sometimes. There are news blogs and ways to keep up with what is happening with the Sims without visiting forums or social media, but you are right, most don't care enough to comment about it. I kind of miss my Sims hermit days.

Well, as a former invisible gamer (not just Sims, though they were part of it), I can say for me I never looked at news blogs or anything like that. I looked at games, read the descriptions, watched preview videos (not usually let's plays or anything like that because I didn't want to spoil the game), and every once in awhile I might read a gaming magazine or look at reviews. So, controversies and discontent weren't usually that obvious to me. Though, the ME3 ending controversy did actually filter into my awareness because it was so volatile and, well, I was pretty unhappy with the endings myself. But that's really more of a one-off regarding the types of games I mostly played back then.

The Sims 3, for instance, is a good example of my perspective. I found the zombie overpopulation annoying but it never occurred to me that this was a big complaint other players had. Or the celebrity system and paparazzi issues. I had no idea that other people thought the ice cream truck was super creepy, too or found Island Paradise as buggy as I did. Because I never interacted with other simmers and hardly read or saw any info related to the game. I used to see most games simply from my perspective--my likes, my dislikes, my annoyances, the bugs I couldn't stand and the ones that I lived with. If I had major bug issues with a game (or pack in Sims, for instance), I just stopped playing with it rather than figuring out how to fix it.

In a way, things were a lot simpler for me back then. :D If I liked something, I played it all the way through. If I didn't like something, I never finished it. If it looked good, I bought it. It never occurred to me to come online and find a place to tell the devs what I like and dislike or what I do and don't want in the game. I just bought what was available and played it if I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    My estimate is around 6 billion. B)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    I've been part of a forum since the release of The Sims. For me its part of my whole simming experience. But its intriguing to wonder about those who play the sims and really have no idea that such community forums and platforms exist. Or those who are aware but not interested,
  • Options
    HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member

I'm pretty similar to you. I played Sims 1 on PC, played a bunch of Sims console games, never played Sims 2 (honestly I didn't even know it existed for a while), played Sims 3, and just started becoming active on the forums after Sims 4 started. Before Sims 4 I was basically in my own little world...I bought what I wanted purely because it looked good to me, and not because of reviews or ratings.

However I am changing with Sims 4. Now that I am more active on the forums, I see so many POV that it actually has changed me a little. I research and watch more videos/LPs and think more before my purchases. I was definitely invisible before, but not as much anymore.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Well, as a former invisible gamer (not just Sims, though they were part of it), I can say for me I never looked at news blogs or anything like that. I looked at games, read the descriptions, watched preview videos (not usually let's plays or anything like that because I didn't want to spoil the game), and every once in awhile I might read a gaming magazine or look at reviews. So, controversies and discontent weren't usually that obvious to me. Though, the ME3 ending controversy did actually filter into my awareness because it was so volatile and, well, I was pretty unhappy with the endings myself. But that's really more of a one-off regarding the types of games I mostly played back then.

The Sims 3, for instance, is a good example of my perspective. I found the zombie overpopulation annoying but it never occurred to me that this was a big complaint other players had. Or the celebrity system and paparazzi issues. I had no idea that other people thought the ice cream truck was super creepy, too or found Island Paradise as buggy as I did. Because I never interacted with other simmers and hardly read or saw any info related to the game. I used to see most games simply from my perspective--my likes, my dislikes, my annoyances, the bugs I couldn't stand and the ones that I lived with. If I had major bug issues with a game (or pack in Sims, for instance), I just stopped playing with it rather than figuring out how to fix it.

In a way, things were a lot simpler for me back then. :D If I liked something, I played it all the way through. If I didn't like something, I never finished it. If it looked good, I bought it. It never occurred to me to come online and find a place to tell the devs what I like and dislike or what I do and don't want in the game. I just bought what was available and played it if I enjoyed it.
    True, I don't think I started reading the news until the Sims 3. Sims 1 and 2, I just read the leaflets. How I knew which products were around and tv trailers. Now either are rare. I really don't think the Sims 4 is marketed that well to the invisible gamers. No way for them to know about new packs now other than seeing them at stores. So much for the DLC products. Probably why the Sims 4 is tied to Origin now. Cheaper to market games through there.

I didn't know zombies was a big complaint either until I joined forums for this game. Same with the other issues you mentioned too. I miss the simpler times too. I had no idea people even hated life stages or supernaturals back then.
  • Options

True, I don't think I started reading the news until the Sims 3. Sims 1 and 2, I just read the leaflets. How I knew which products were around and tv trailers. Now either are rare. I really don't think the Sims 4 is marketed that well to the invisible gamers. No way for them to know about new packs now other than seeing them at stores. So much for the DLC products. Probably why the Sims 4 is tied to Origin now. Cheaper to market games through there.

I didn't know zombies was a big complaint either until I joined forums for this game. Same with the other issues you mentioned too. I miss the simpler times too.

Or like the author said they're bored and go on Origin or Steam to see what's new.
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I still consider myself an invisible gamer. I'll post screenshots from The Sims 4 and Project CARS on my Twitter account, but otherwise I don't participate in any other gaming forums other than this one. I've found them to be hostile and not worth my time or energy. At least here I can find some nice Off Topic threads and pitch in once in awhile in the Tech Support ones.

I don't buy everything because I'm blind. I buy it because I love it.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited May 2016
    sunman502 wrote: »
    The Simmers that aren't registered to any Sims based site doesn't care. Or doesn't have the time to join a community site because they might play The Sims for an hour or two. Then either play another video game, or go to work or school, depending on the time where they are.

Not entirely true. I was a silent player for many years because when I enjoy a game, I have little reason to leave my game to chat it up with other players. That's why I've been pretty quiet lately. I've been playing a game and enjoying it. Silent players are not always casual players. Silent players can be quite the opposite. I only have time to chat when I'm at work, because the game I'm playing isn't keeping me occupied and breaks are pretty boring. *throws that theory out the window*
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options

I didn't know zombies was a big complaint either until I joined forums for this game. Same with the other issues you mentioned too. I miss the simpler times too.

Or like the author said they're bored and go on Origin or Steam to see what's new.

That's how it worked for me, for the most part. I'd finish a game and be looking for something new. Or, more common for me with the Sims, I used to binge play it. I'd play it exclusively for a couple of months and then put it down for a couple of months while I played something else. Then I'd start thinking about playing it again and just check to see if anything new was out.
  • Options
    Yeah the hardest thing about being a part of the online community I'm finding now is having someone pass away. :bawling: Like losing someone I thought like my little brother on forums. I do think as an invisible player you get into your own little world with the Sims. I still have a hard time sharing pictures of my Sims. Like I want them to stay mine which may sound strange. It is like how do you share your experience with other Simmers or get to know other Simmers? I still feel like an invisible player in a lot of ways. I don't know my way around or who is who sometimes. I'm just fumbling around trying to figure out how things work still. It's a strange and new experience and point of view. I don't know if I quite feel comfortable with it yet or not. I feel like an alien in a new environment.
  • Options
    Yeah the hardest thing about being a part of the online community I'm finding now is having someone pass away. :bawling: Like losing someone I thought like my little brother on forums. I do think as an invisible player you get into your own little world with the Sims. I still have a hard time sharing pictures of my Sims. Like I want them to stay mine which may sound strange. It is like how do you share your experience with other Simmers or get to know other Simmers? I still feel like an invisible player in a lot of ways. I don't know my way around or who is who sometimes. I'm just fumbling around trying to figure out how things work still. It's a strange and new experience and point of view. I don't know if I quite feel comfortable with it yet or not. I feel like an alien in a new environment.

Heh. I'm very similar. I also have a hard time sharing my creations. My gameplay is very private and I get so into it that I don't even think of taking pictures or sharing my experiences. I'm having fun. I don't feel like I need to share it. I only tend to be vocal when I'm bored—we may differ that way.
  • Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Heh. I'm very similar. I also have a hard time sharing my creations. My gameplay is very private and I get so into it that I don't even think of taking pictures or sharing my experiences. I'm having fun. I don't feel like I need to share it. I only tend to be vocal when I'm bored—we may differ that way.
    I still struggle with it and yeah sometimes it is just nice playing and not worrying about pictures. I have to remind myself to take a picture for the family thread because usually I don't. Yeah sometimes forums are more entertaining than the Sims 4. I'm really having a hard time with the news of Sennie. Darn forums, making me care about people and getting to know them.
  • Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    sunman502 wrote: »

Not entirely true. I was a silent player for many years because when I enjoy a game, I have little reason to leave my game to chat it up with other players. That's why I've been pretty quiet lately. I've been playing a game and enjoying it. Silent players are not always casual players. Silent players can be quite the opposite. I only have time to chat when I'm at work, because the game I'm playing isn't keeping me occupied and breaks are pretty boring. *throws that theory out the window*
    I was merely stating that there are several reasons why a Simmer that's invisible might not join a community site. And yes there are some of us who have joined a community site but remain quiet. And I use to be one of them. And even today, there will be periods of time where I'm not on here at all. In fact, I just gone through a period like that about a week or so ago.

• Options
    I still struggle with it and yeah sometimes it is just nice playing and not worrying about pictures. I have to remind myself to take a picture for the family thread because usually I don't. Yeah sometimes forums are more entertaining than the Sims 4. I'm really having a hard time with the news of Sennie. Darn forums, making me care about people and getting to know them.

Yeah. Some people play for the stories. That's too much work for me :) It actually sucks the fun out of it if I'm focussing on taking the 'right' pic. I'm more about telling my own story to myself. I enjoy what I enjoy. It doesn't matter what others think of it.
  • Options
    I think one of the main point of the article though is that these simmers are invisible to us but are contributing to the game's bottom line. It would be interesting to know what percentage of simmers they are.
  • Options
    I think one of the main point of the article though is that these simmers are invisible to us but are contributing to the game's bottom line. It would be interesting to know what percentage of simmers they are.

They're the silent majority. We may never know the numbers. Rest assured, they are most-likely the ones that matter most on the profit-margin. Some are casual. Some are die-hard. Many don't feel the need to communicate their experiences at all. Others are the buy-it, play-it, leave-it type. So many variables come into play, but the vocal minority has always been just that—a minority.

We'll never know how the majority feels or what percentage they make up.
  • Options
    I too sometimes wonder just how many of us Simmer there are out there, both invisible and visible. It was right around 2010 or 2011 that this community site saw a total of just over a million Simmer online on just that day alone. It was an all time record for this site, and I'm pretty certain that that record still stands today.

• Options
    I admit I joined forums intentionally for the Sims 4 to be around a smaller community. I knew based on the online negative reviews there wouldn't be a lot of people on forums. So it was an easier transition for me. Plus with the SimCity backlash, I wanted to join while there still was an online community around. I got scared there wouldn't even be a community around anymore. :( A lot easier to talk to a few dozen Simmers at once than thousands of Simmers at once. That would overwhelm me too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top