Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simple solution to appease the divisive crowd

agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
I think what we really need is an option to choose what life stages and which life states we want to have in our game. It would certainly put an end to the toddler vs no toddler argument forever, and it would appease anti supernaturals like me whilst allowing others to have what makes them happy.

Comments

• More_MooreMore_Moore Posts: 408 Member
    agent_bev wrote: »
    I think what we really need is an option to choose what life stages and which life states we want to have in our game. It would certainly put an end to the toddler vs no toddler argument forever, and it would appease anti supernaturals like me whilst allowing others to have what makes them happy.

I was about to suggest that. A game where you can toggle what ages/states appear and not. ^_^
    Simmer since day one. Owns every Expansion and extras. Even the console games. XD

Feel free to chat me (I like games/RPGs, game dev, and animu/anime)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Options to have or not have all or certain lifestates would be wonderful. I'd love it in particular per save game, or at least a prompt or reminder to chose your options if you go between games (and at the very least the ability to remember to change it manually without a prompt). I'd also like difficulty setting for game play and random event occurrences.
    egTcBMc.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2016
    There is always another option. Stop buying when it's something you don't want when that EP is expressively so about that very thing.
    But I will go with toggles but I want a whole list of toggles now so I can play my evil, murdering, sadistic Sims.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member
    I certainly appreciated the toggles they patched into Sims3 regarding certain life forms. @Cinebar, I purposely by-passed the Supernatural EP, because I was uninterested in those life forms. You can imagine how happy I was that the Devs put aliens into Seasons, instead, or I would have been in a real fix. However, vampires were already in the game with LN.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • More_MooreMore_Moore Posts: 408 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    There is always another option. Stop buying when it's something you don't want when that EP is expressively so about that very thing.
    But I will go with toggles but I want a whole list of toggles now so I can play my evil, murdering, sadistic Sims.

The problem is that certain EPs even based around certain things, come with certain other things (objects, a world, etc.) players may really want?
    Simmer since day one. Owns every Expansion and extras. Even the console games. XD

Feel free to chat me (I like games/RPGs, game dev, and animu/anime)
  • ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    I keep suggestion a free optional download. We have Christmas stuff as a free optional download that we can choose to download if we want it in the game, its free and by choice.
    Just do the same for the toddlers :)
    More_Moore wrote: »

The problem is that certain EPs even based around certain things, come with certain other things (objects, a world, etc.) players may really want?

I doubt they will continue to add any other life state to EP like they did for nineteen of them as a tradition which they said wasn't meant to be a tradition. Anyway, if an EP says Supernaturals on it I don't understand why someone would demand Maxis take them out or remove them so they can buy the 'stuff' and toggle out the very subject the EP is about. But you all need toggles that is evident.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    I certainly appreciated the toggles they patched into Sims3 regarding certain life forms. @Cinebar, I purposely by-passed the Supernatural EP, because I was uninterested in those life forms. You can imagine how happy I was that the Devs put aliens into Seasons, instead, or I would have been in a real fix. However, vampires were already in the game with LN.

I understand but was anybody demanding toggles in Makin' Magic or did people simply skip it or just not play with the magic part? I don't recall these sort of divisive topics back in the day. I think I'm pretty sure I skipped Pets in TS3 because I didn't want pets again. And I skipped several things no matter what was in it if something else was going to annoy me more. Nobody has to eat the whole cake.
  • LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited May 2016

I didn't want most of the supernaturals in Sims 3, so I didn't buy it right away.
    (I liked witches & vampires, mostly. But I got tired of my witch always conjuring apples..to the extreme.)
    But then my daughter insisted on buying it for me, not too long later - at full price, no less. :s
    So when we were able to go in options - uncheck some boxes, and not have certain types wander around town, I was happy.
    Because, for me, I like to have most of the buy/build mode items for my games.

It's not always about the theme of the packs, sometimes it's the items it comes with... :*
    That does not make my game preferences wrong...
    But I also don't make any threads demanding anything.
    ESPECIALLY demanding not to have a life-stage.
    I really miss the old EA saying : *Challenge everything*... :'(
  • SimulanceSimulance Posts: 313 Member
    The problem is, making a life stage optional (either to download or just to turn off) will likely have further ramifications than we're aware of. Think about the way the game functions and is programmed, it's why a lot of major features are patched in instead of just coming with an EP. This could also effect updates and add-ons/DLC. There is no reason that toddlers should not be added, regardless if some people do not want them. They can simply age them up.

latest?cb=20150220233403
    I'm selling a pack about vampires. Great I'm getting it said one hundred people.
    Ten others I want the coffee mug but hate vampires.

Producer, but the pack is about vampires, and all the myths and animations. The mug is not the EP.

But I want the mug said ten people. Take out the vampires so I can buy the mug.

Producer: But we spent all this time on vampires, and turning vampires, and how to kill and cure vampires. And we have some wonderful animations and stories for you to tell about the life of a vampire. 99.999999 is about vampires.

Ten people: I don't care take them out, give me the mug.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

Have you actually seen the complexity of some of these options and toggles that people suggest? If I remember correctly toggles didn't stop the complaints. Yes there were toggles in Supernatural to determine what life states to have but then people complained about the zombies. There were people who only wanted the build buy items and complained about any hint of a Supernatural already living in Moonlight Falls ...........and they had just bought a pack called....wait for it......Supernatural.

What I'd like to see is absolutely everything missing is added to the game. Toggle or not. I'll either not buy the pack or play around it.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    I'm selling a pack about vampires. Great I'm getting it said one hundred people.

Producer, but the pack is about vampires, and all the myths and animations. The mug is not the EP.

Producer: But we spent all this time on vampires, and turning vampires, and how to kill and cure vampires. And we have some wonderful animations and stories for you to tell about the life of a vampire. 99.999999 is about vampires.

But I <3 coffee mugs ! o:)
    (and have a RL collection so huge - for hot & iced drinks - my family thinks I'm a bit nuts :* )

What I NOW do, is wait for a sale, then buy it for what I DO want it for, and ignore what I don't like.
    For example, I HATE having aliens for 90 % of my save games, but I wanted the items it came with.
    And, of course, I might comment on what I prefer, or don't like, but I WILL NEVER demand or make THREADS complaining.
    (hate the clown in game, but plan on ignoring it)

I have noticed, there will always be bits & pieces we don't like, or want. SO I just try to make the most of what it DOES have. :D
    (esp since I literally have over 300 videos games between consoles, handhelds, & PC versions, collected & played from the past 16 yrs.)
    And I don't put down others, for liking things I don't.
    It doesn't make anyone more right, or wrong.
    It's just preferences, & games... :)

• ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member

(and have a RL collection so huge - for hot & iced drinks - my family thinks I'm a bit nuts :* )

What I NOW do, is wait for a sale, then buy it for what I DO want it for, and ignore what I don't like.
    For example, I HATE having aliens for 90 % of my save games, but I wanted the items it came with.
    And, of course, I might comment on what I prefer, or don't like, but I WILL NEVER demand or make THREADS complaining.

I have noticed, there will always be bits & pieces we don't like, or want. SO I just try to make the most of what it DOES have. :D
    (esp since I literally have over 300 videos games between consoles, handhelds, & PC versions, collected & played from the past 16 yrs.)
    I am the same. There are stuff I never use in the game because I don't like it (mostly items) That is why I loved the Sims 3 Store, you could buy what you wanted and leave the rest.

Yes, like in TS2 people got sick of seeing the idle animations for those hobbies. Like a Sim who liked cooking always rubbing their stomach. Soooo, moddlers added a hack to remove those idles. Instead of demanding Maxis change their entire concept and patch it out.
  • iAnimeFreakiAnimeFreak Posts: 66 Member
    I honestly think there will be no way to sate this argument.

OMG............a sensible person. Really....you're great.

It's just like in TS3's Late Night. I absolutely hated the celebrity system. I didn't uninstall the pack...I played around the celebrities.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

I will have to disagree with you about the toddlers, too. I did not become a kid overnight, and it's true games don't have to have everything. But to me it's a nonsensical argument to say they shouldn't be added when someone can simply age one up as soon as it morphs.
  • BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member

Or you know, people can just age up their sim as soon as it hits the age they don't like?
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited May 2016

What about EPs like Late Night that included vampires even though that wasn't the main purpose of the EP? An option to turn them off is useful.

Adding an option to turn these things off, isn't exactly hard, or harmful to anyone. I have absolutely no idea why it bothers you so much.
    I honestly think there will be no way to sate this argument.

Maybe I'm dating myself with this explanation.....but .........My mother used to fix dinner and didn't check with everyone in the house. If you didn't like what was put on the table you didn't have dinner or you fixed something you did like yourself. She didn't have time to cater individually to six different people.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2016
    I agree and filters for the unisex too. I think we just need a compromise like this or the free download to work for everyone. Tags @SimGuruDrake about this since I was going to bug her anyway about it, plus I'm curious if it is doable or not for the Gurus to do.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2016

Here is the solution for you: BUY A 🐸🐸🐸🐸 CAKE OR MAKE ONE. Simple :) It's not like we haven't discussed this before, it's not a breakthrough it's not a revolution, just bake a cake and blow it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

OMG............a sensible person. Really....you're great.

It's just like in TS3's Late Night. I absolutely hated the celebrity system. I didn't uninstall the pack...I played around the celebrities.

I kept my Sims away from the celebs so they wouldn't turn into one, too. Unless I wanted them to be a celeb. Same as in Superstar. I don't play the parts I'm not interested in. And in TS2 if I didn't want a vampire I didn't go hunting for the count.