Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Familiar & Fresh

cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
This will be the official thread for Reading Circle F. I'm thinking of calling it Familiar & Fresh to note that it's a mix of new and established SimsLit writers.

You can find the original Reading Circles thread here.

Pithy is not my strong suit, so feel free to offer alternative names!

In this circle for now is myself @cecerose0208, @BlackBDeath, @CitizenErased14, @remi_narrow, and @ThePlumbob

I was thinking we could start by answering the following questions, sort of as an ice breaker.

1) What name do you want us to refer to you by?

2) What is/are the name(s) of your SimsLit story or stories?

3) Location (ex: blog website, forum thread, etc.)?

4) Give a brief synopsis of what we'll be reading.

5) Tell us something about yourself to help us get to know you.
Post edited by cecerose0208 on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Weekly In-Depth Chapter Discussion List

June 13, 2016
    @remi_narrow - General questions about her entire story and the future of generation 2

June 20, 2016
    @CitizenErased14 - General questions about the characters and story of Generation 3

June 27, 2016
    @cecerose0208 - General Questions about The Epstein Family

July 11, 2016
    @BlackBDeath - Character Motivation Questions about the first four chapters

July 18, 2016 - July 31, 2016
    free weeks

August 15, 2016
    @ThePlumbob - Story - Chapter
    Post edited by cecerose0208 on
  • Options
    remi_narrowremi_narrow Posts: 478 Member
    Hey! @cecerose0208 So cool you took the time to make this thread! Thanks!! I guess the name of our circle fits perfectly and I couldn't come up with a better name, so in my opinion we should stick with Familiar & Fresh! B)

As for the questions, I'll answer them in a bit! So excited for this! :blush:
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    That's a super cute name haha I love it! Thanks for setting up the thread @cecerose0208 :blush:

I will answer the questions a little later when I have more time! :) Can't wait to start reading too! Definitely by the end of the weekend (I'm a little busy these next couple of days)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    Okay so here it is...

What is/are the name(s) of your SimsLit story or stories?
    The McDougal Legacy

Location (ex: blog website, forum thread, etc.)?
    Blog: The McDougal Legacy
    Forum thread: McDougal Legacy (Comic-Strip style!)

Give a brief synopsis of what we'll be reading.
    So the story, though called a legacy is not based on any of the legacy challenge rules. It's a simple saga, following the lives of the McDougal household. I'll be going up to 5 generations only, as opposed to the popular 10 generation trend. This is probably because a. I feel 10 generations would get too monotonous and tiring after a while and b. I'll be creating a spin-off of this story so I want to start working on that as soon as this legacy ends, which is why I don't plan on taking this legacy too far!

The McDougal Legacy is inspired by soap operas, so you'll find a lot of drama (sometimes melodrama) in it! :lol: I love creating havoc in the lives of my characters! *evil laugh*

I also add dialogues to the screenshots whenever the characters are having a conversation. That's something unique about my story and I'm sure you'll have fun reading it! I mean, who doesn't love comic strips?!

Tell us something about yourself to help us get to know you.
    Well, I'm from India. I live in a city that's popular for Bollywood (that's the Indian version of Hollywood haha) Bollywood is well known for colorful shimmery outfits and particularly for the songs and unique dance moves! I'll share some with y'all!

This is a dance from a vintage Bollywood movie:
    NYfh2IVVgZDK8.gif

These are more recent dance moves:
    tumblr_m4uqahP5Ue1qcmjw7.gif

tumblr_lhv5v2YpYg1qdvraco1_500.gif

tumblr_likiltpis51qdvraco1_500.gif

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Sorry I got a little off track. Alrighty, so coming back...

I'm in my third year at university, studying literature. I plan to do my masters and then teach! I love connecting with people and meeting new ones! Despite being out-going, I'm equally shy when it comes to 'making the first move'.

I consider myself to be a bit of a geek, since I've always been into video-games. As a child, I had a gaming console that you had to connect to a tv! It looked something like this LOL

3194498234_4c52dc295c.jpg?v=0

And I would spend hours playing arcade games like Mario, Contra and other sports games :joy:

I was introduced to The Sims 4 only recently through some let's plays on YT and I fell in love with it almost instantly! As I mentioned in my acceptance post of the Spirit Animal Award, I never considered myself to be a writer, but I've realized my true potential only after I published this story and was encouraged by y'all to keep going! It's definitely true what they say, you'll never know until you try!

I guess that's all! :) Now I can't wait to know about you guys!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I loved your answers @remi_narrow ! I'm very excited to read your legacy... Definitely sounds like my style ;) and how cool that you are from India! I have never seen a Bollywood film, but I've heard of them before and would love to watch one someday!

Here are my answers :)

What name do you want us to refer to you as?
    Most people call me "Citizen", and that's fine! :) My real name is Amanda and I also do not mind being called that :blush:

I have a completed SimLit story called Dust to Dust.

My two current stories are Ashes to Ashes (which is updated multiple times a week) and (Para)Normal Neighborhood (which is on a bit of a hiatus but I am planning on resuming updates in the summer!)

Here are links for my two current stories:

Blog: Ashes to Ashes: A Legacy
    Forum thread: Ashes to Ashes: A Legacy

Blog: (Para)Normal Neighborhood
    Forum thread: (Para)Normal Neighborhood

Ashes to Ashes is something of a sequel to Dust to Dust, though it stands alone as its own story (minus the occasional D2D reference :tongue:). It follows the lives of the Rosebrook family as they deal with various trials and hardships.

It is going to be a legacy, though I do not comply with all of Pinstars rules and may not even make it all the way to ten generations, we'll see! I'm very much playing this by ear.

A2A is a highly dramatic story told through a mixture of journal entries and third-person interludes. There is some strong language as well as non-explicit sexual references in my story. Thought that might be worth mentioning!

(Para)Normal Neighborhood is very different from my other SimLit stories. It is a light hearted comedy about a clueless young woman named Juniper who moves into a neighborhood that's anything but normal ;)

I love this story, but I find it much more difficult to write than A2A! It's taken a backseat the past couple of months, but I have not given up on it! I have the next 15 chapters all planned :) I just need to find the time to continue it (hopefully next month!

I am in my late-20s, live in the US, and work as a Spanish Teacher to middle school (ages 10-14) students. :)

I am obsessed with the bands Muse and Arctic Monkeys and my favorite hobby is traveling around to see them in concert (when they're touring!). I am also a huge "geek" about Disney, Harry Potter, Broadway Musicals, Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire, and The Walking Dead. :tongue:

I love video games. My favorite video game series is Mass Effect (minus the ending of 3), followed closely by Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. :) I also love The Sims, of course! I've been playing ever since the original Sims game came out when I was 11 years old :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    BlackBDeathBlackBDeath Posts: 134 Member

@cecerose0208
    It's a pretty cool name! Way better than I could have done.
    It's been pretty cool reading @CitizenErased14 and @remi_narrow Glad to see we have diversity in the group!
    Here are my answers...

What name do you want us to refer to you by?
    You guys call me by BlackBDeath, Gazi, or Ash. Whichever is easier and comfortable to you.

The Roseland Family
    It is my very first committed story (Which I only started a week before :D )

Apparently I can't post links here
    I'm sure it'll be pretty easy to find it's sims4roseland.wordpress.com

It'll be following two sisters and their growing families. I was inspired to start this because of watching YT videos and since I'm not big on talking, a blog is the best thing. I plan on trying to keep playing the same family and see how far I can get them in their lives. I know that it may get tiring really quick so I plan on doing little challenges with each generation. Examples are The Hotel Challenge, The 4 Immortal Sisters, and etc. Someday I'll end the story and make another one, hopefully, improved.

The story will not be the best as this is my first blog and I haven't written a story in a long time. My writing style is a bit different from everyone else's also. I spent years of roleplaying with my friend which inspired my writing style. I also come to learned that when I come to write stories at least one character is always transformed into one of roleplaying characters because they're very innocent-like. People may like it some will not.

I'm still pretty young, I'm only 15. I live in the USA in the Mt. Rushmore state. It's a pretty small state considering I live in a town of only 47 people, and I barely know half of them. Pretty sad lol. The only thing we have is the Longbranch (A bar) and the first outdoor pool in the state, but sadly now it's closed down because it cost too much money to keep open.

Despite being younger, I have an idea on where I want my life to be heading. I love doing anything that involves Fine Arts. I can't imagine my life without singing, cooking, drawing, and etc. I plan on getting a game design or programming degree in college and in my free time I get to draw. My favorite subject in school is history, learning about the battles of Europa and everything about the countries. My favorite country to learn about is Prussia although they never teach it in school, I learn about it in my free time. Because of my passion for history, I am enthralled with an idea of traveling to Europe. And in the next year, I'll have a chance too! I currently am learning languages like Italian and I know a little bit of German and Japanese. But certainly not enough to hold a conversation!

This part is actually getting very long :D But I'll just finish it off by saying my favorite bands are The Beatles, Muse, and all those cool bands. I have a lot of games to pick for my favorite XD but I suppose Fire Emblem Awakening and Fire Emblem Fates are my favorite.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @BlackBDeath Muse is my favorite too! :blush: I'm sure you saw that! I also am very big into roleplay, so that's very cool too!

I am sorry to go into teacher-mode right now, so forgive me :lol: But I do feel that my legacy story may not be entirely appropriate for a 15 year old. I label it as a "strong PG-13" but it's a tricky one... But (Para)Normal Neighborhood definitely is, and Dust to Dust should be okay too! :blush:

I look forward to reading your story!
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    @CitizenErased14 Oh awesome! I'm crazy about Game of Thrones, too! :love:

And I love A2A! Especially the format you've used to write it! I'm thinking of doing a story in the form of letters and emails something similar to 'Where Rainbows End' by Cecelia Ahern! I love that book and I'd recommend it to you if you're really into some hardcore chicklit :lol: That book is phenomenal!

Also, if you do plan on watching any bollywood movie, I'd recommend three movies: Queen, 3 Idiots and Taare Zameen Par. These are meaningful and sensible (unlike most other bollywood movies that are all melodramatic and have really dumb plot lines :joy:)
    However, if you wish to watch the bollywood movies most Indians love, I'd recommend these: Kuch kuch hota hai and Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gam. These movies are loaded with songs and dances and big fat Indian weddings and colorful outfits and all the masala (literally: spice/ what it means here: melodrama) that you'll typically find in any Bollywood film!

Oh and I do have a question for you! Is Spanish your native tongue? Or is it German? Or is it something else? :tongue:

And finally... I forgot to answer the first question. Oops...
    Remi Narrow is just my pen name since RN are my initials in real! I guess you could call me Remi, since it's such a small name, easy to pronounce, simple to type :tongue: But you could call me absolutely anything!
  • Options
    @remi_narrow Hahahaha my native language is English! :) All the German in A2A is thanks to @Julyvee94 :blush:

I will totally have to take a look at your movie recommendations (and book recommendation too!) :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    @BlackBDeath Hey there! I was looking forward to meeting you and I'd been waiting for your reply on this thread!

I loved history, too back in school! But I decided to opt for psychology in college because we had a choice between these two subjects and I was really intrigued and also curious to learn this new subject! I'm glad I went with psychology because I learnt so many things I wouldn't have known otherwise!

It's awesome that how you know 3 languages! I can speak French. I learnt it in school and then in college. It must've been almost six years! I'm really passionated about the language and I also plan to teach it once I graduate (which will be this year!) Italian and Spanish intrigue me and I want to learn those languages so bad! But I want to be able to speak French fluently and master it before I jump to any other language. Because I don't wanna be Jack of all trades and master of none! Haha

Finally, I feel it's really amazing how you've planned out your future at such a young age! Wish you all the best!
    giphy.gif

And I'm really excited to read your story!
  • Options
    @CitizenErased14 Oh is it! :frowning: Cool! I thought you were German at first Lol :lol: I aspire to be a French teacher someday! :grimace:

And yes those movies are my personal favorites! And the book, too! There's actually a movie adaptation of the book called 'Love, Rosie' But I liked the book better! The books are always better! Haha :wink:
  • Options
    I think it's so awesome that you want to be a French teacher @remi_narrow ! I love being a language teacher :heart:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    @CitizenErased14 Yeah! I love learning new languages! It just introduces you to a whole new world! There's so much you get to learn about their culture, their people, their food, their lifetsyle... And I've heard you also think differently in different languages! How effing cool is that! :smiley:
  • Options

Thanks @CitizenErased14 for warning me of the rating of your story! But I immediately went to read your A2A yesterday and I fell in love with it! I loved the plot and the pictures. I'm pretty sure I was fangirling at the end of G2. Although, I'm not the most comfortable with adult-themed references, but yours didn't go too far and I must admit after years of role-playing there were many references that go as far as yours did and I got comfortable. Besides, I always thought that stories that have a little bit in it make the creator have even more ways to expand the plot. :)

Hey @remi_narrow, Thanks for the wishes! Next year I'll be in a French class and I got excited when you said you wanted to teach French! Our French teacher is the coolest and everybody loves her! Maybe sometime next year I get to ask you French questions :D Next year there is even going to be a new club entering our school called HOSA, it's a medical club. I'll be doing physical therapy mostly because of my mom going to college for it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @BlackBDeath Wow, you read fast! I'm really glad that you enjoyed it, and that the adult stuff wasn't too much for you! I have a couple of chapters planned in the 4th gen that are gonna push the adult-ness a little more than I have so far, but I'm gonna put warnings on those chapters for sure. :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options

@CitizenErased14 I also loved how you took the pictures. The characters always had the right emotion and the placing of the sims is amazing. I then noticed that you never had a plumbot show up in any of your pictures, mind telling me how you did that? I try to put the control on a different sim in the shot but sometimes I forget and when I check the pictures it's too late!
  • Options
    @CitizenErased14 I also loved how you took the pictures. The characters always had the right emotion and the placing of the sims is amazing. I then noticed that you never had a plumbot show up in any of your pictures, mind telling me how you did that? I try to put the control on a different sim in the shot but sometimes I forget and when I check the pictures it's too late!

@BlackBDeath I used to do what you do (selecting a different sim in the household) but I now know there's a cheat called "headlineeffects off". It takes away the plumbobs! :smiley: When you want them back, you do "headlineeffects on" :blush:

As for emotions and placing the sims, I use mods that allow me to manipulate my sims' emotions and I also use a teleportation mod and a pose player mod. It's a lot of work and very time-consuming :lol: But I do love how the final product looks :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    Hey everyone! I'm typing this for the second time because I spilled a glass of wine on my other laptop. I rinsed it with water and am currently fanning it dry in the hopes that everything isn't ruined...

Anyway...

I'm glad you all are enjoying this new thread! I'm excited to learn much more about you all that I never knew before. Having insight into the writers behind the stories is going to be great, I just know it. This was a really great idea that CathyTea had.

Here are my answers to my questions:

1) What name do you want us to refer to you by?
    Chicago or CeCe is great.

I unfortunately have different usernames on Google+, wordpress, and these forums. So you'll see my comments on your blogs under different names depending on I'm reading on my phone, tablet, or computer.

2) What is/are the name(s) of your SimsLit story or stories?
    Dreams & Drama Neighborhood Rotation

3) Location (ex: blog website, forum thread, etc.)?
    Blog: Dreams & Drama Blog

Forum: Dreams & Drama Neighborhood Rotation Thread

4) Give a brief synopsis of what we'll be reading.
    I'll be playing my neighborhood rotation in a legacy style, at least that's the plan for now. I've got four main families, and I'm designing them after a soap opera I grew up watching, All My Children. As the children grow up, I'll pick an heir and continue the household's story.

I'm leaving aging on for everyone, and playing a long lifespan. That works out because a long lifespan is about 4 times longer than normal, and I play with basically equal time for each family.

I'm also using MCC, with risky woohoo and affairs allowed. My first couple of chapters for each household is just to introduce them, and the drama will be starting soon. Since the families progress even when they're my active lot, I'm already getting some unexpected twists to write about in the upcoming chapters.

5) Tell us something about yourself to help us get to know you.
    I'm born and raised in Chicago, which is where I met my husband who's also from Chicago. He's a jazz musician, and he announced he wanted to move to New York City for his career. I do organ & tissue donation, which can literally be done anywhere on the planet. And I'm a good wife, so I found a job here, and moved 3 summers ago.

We live in a brownstone in Brooklyn with our two cats who have waaaay too much personality. My current hobbies are blogging, television and movies, and yoga. Now in my early 30s, I've decided to start taking better care of myself for the long haul. To me, that means making my own body butter. And making my own hair butter when I take care of my dreadlocs. It also means a lot more home cooking and less processed foods. And it means a lot more exercising, which is where the yoga comes in.

I love my family, I love food, I love music, and I love my friends. My parents are my favorite family, they're just really awesome people. My favorite food is anything with potatoes or fruit. My favorite music is 90's R&B, particularly subgenre New Jack Swing, but my first love is live music, particularly live jazz, rock, or soul.

I'm considering going back to school to get my MBA for career purposes, but I'm waiting until my husband finishes his degree this fall. There is no way we want to be in school at the same time!

Okay, this is getting long, so I'll stop here, lol.
  • Options

Hey, @cecerose0208 glad to get to know you better! Being in a small town, I can't picture living in a huge city :D. It's great to hear trying your best to taking better care of yourself while others can't keep it up (Including me). I wish you the best of luck for you and your husband on getting your degrees!
  • Options
    Now that we've all introduced ourselves, I think we should turn our attention to our stories.

I'm caught up on The Skinner Saga, Ashes to Ashes, and The McDougall Legacy.

Roseland Family Story and (Para)Normal Neighborhood are brand new to me, so I'll need some time to catch up.

How are you all doing on starting everyone's stories?
  • Options
    Now that we've all introduced ourselves, I think we should turn our attention to our stories.

Roseland Family Story and (Para)Normal Neighborhood are brand new to me, so I'll need some time to catch up.

@cecerose0208 Oh no, don't remind me how horribly behind I am :lol: This weekend I am hoping to catch up with everyone's stories... Except The Skinner Saga. I don't think that will happen for a while. But I will start it! :smiley:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options

@cecerose0208 Oh no, don't remind me how horribly behind I am :lol: This weekend I am hoping to catch up with everyone's stories... Except The Skinner Saga. I don't think that will happen for a while. But I will start it! :smiley:

Lol, I don't want to remind you of being behind! I think we can allow everyone some time to catch up, especially for the longer stories. I'm off work this weekend, so I'll start the stories I haven't read. No promises that I'll finish this weekend. It's Memorial Day weekend and I've got BBQ prep to do.
  • Options
    @BlackBDeath Oui! I would love to answer your questions and clarify your doubts :)
  • Options
    @cecerose0208 Awesome! I'll start reading your story very soon! :)

I'm caught up on @CitizenErased14's A2A and @BlackBDeath's legacy. So I still have two more to go , which includes your neighborhood rotation and @aroseinbloom's Skinner Saga.

@CitizenErased14 is it okay if I keep D2D and (Para)normal Neighborhood on hold for now? Since I'm overwhelmed with the amount of stories I'm supposed to read at a go! Also, I must admit, I'm kind of a slow reader Haha :sweat_smile: