Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When Your Research Matches Reality

GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
edited May 2016 in Off Topic Chat
As some of you may know I am working on a fictionalized account of my six times great-grandparents' lives. He ended up being a somebody, and so, although not a lot is known of their personal lives, there is a timeline of events, which I've done my best to follow and flesh out, so to speak with scenes. One of the things that happened (after my six times great-grandmother passed away) was an unfortunate set of circumstances which led the people in western North Carolina (the Watauga Settlements) to cede from their 'parent' State and again seek to govern themselves. This 'State' almost became our 14th State, but things went horribly wrong (and not all by themselves, or that my ancestor was such a rotten governor). There are many accounts, some first hand, and others written by admirers. Great-great-great-great-great-great Granddaddy, was Beloved. No two ways about it. He might as well have been a modern day Rock Star, for all of the myth that surrounds his life story. It's very hard to sift through.

However, PBS made a documentary about this Mysterious Failed State of Franklin, and I finally got my little hands on a copy of the dvd. The producers also sought to remove the myths from the facts. I watched it with rapt attention. And was nearly gobsmacked by what I learned and just how close I got to the truth of it. With little exception, I boldly proclaim (because I had help from Above) I got it right! Can I faint, now? I'm so very glad I got my novel written prior to my seeing this. And that I really don't have to change much, if at all. The only thing I didn't realize was that the Governor of North Carolina at that time, was the one who instituted the parallel government, which ultimately brought Franklin down. So, I may just have to tweak my text just a little. I knew Tipton had a lot to do with it and was conspiring with said Governor, but I may need to make that a tad clearer in my chapter. Other than that, I managed to nail it. :open_mouth: Again, thanks and praise to the Maker.

If you've never heard of the failed State of Franklin, I urge you to look it up. It's crazy insane what this nation has been through and just how hard our forebears fought to make us all FREE. Many aren't even aware of this, nor do they know about this Southern turning point in the Revolutionary War: the Battle of Kings Mountain. I just learned why that is. We hear of Concord, Lexington, etc. But not of this Battle. Why? Because it was fought and WON by a Militia. Not the Continental Army. Face/palm. The Overmountain Men, as they were dubbed, saved the day. And due to their timely victory, the war turned in OUR favor. Even Thomas Jefferson had some nice things to say about this victory. Look that one up (the Battle), too. You'd be amazed.

Please share moments you've found yourself shocked and amazed over. :)
You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
Post edited by GalacticGal on