Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The essence of the sims

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    NetteNette Posts: 205 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I never once had a meteor fall in any of the previous sims games. I would have liked to see it though. I like the idea of randomness in the game. I can choose to save or not save after the event.

I did have one sim die of extreme embarrassment in sims 4. She's my serial killer who kept townie sims in her basement. She would "use" them as she watched them die. Apparently she became embarrassed by getting caught messing around in front of one of her other victims so she went to make the other sim feel better and she became more embarrassed. I sent her upstairs to have a bite to eat and heard the grim reaper music. I thought it was one of the townies dying, but nope! It was her. The game killed my killer. I didn't save. She still has too many townies to wipe out.

I guess I am saying I want random. I was hoping with weather that we get some extreme weather with consequences. Lightning strikes, floods, tornadoes, etc.

I don't mind the robber, but hated that our sims couldn't do anything during that event and had to wait for the cops. I'd prefer to be able to fight the burglar if my sims are able. ( or lock them up in the basement in the case of my serial killer)

Haha, wow, you're even more wicked than I am! That is karma for ya. I think I'm actually going to steal your idea and to the same... And keep away from embarrassement.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited May 2016
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, in all my years of playing TS2, not once did any of my Sims died from a falling satellite or meteor.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Random events, and the unexpected, is simply a part of life. It challenges us to work around them, or with them, and rebuild ourselves to be even better before. I recall reading an interview with a Sims 4 developer saying they wanted to remove and prevent a lot of random events from the game, so players would be more in control. But, that sort of thing is terribly boring, and it's just borders the line of the game becoming too fake, or too artificial.

I felt TS2 was king of random events. You never knew if the Sim you were chatting with networked with your career, and was able to give you a raise, or if that Sim could give you a super rare item, capable of making your Sim's life better. So there were very positive things that could come about random events; these are just a few off the top of my head. As for negative random events, they could be prevented. If you didn't want to be robbed, you invested in a house alarm. If you didn't want to lose your kitchen from a fire, you bought a fire alarm. Even if you didn't prevent them, these negative random events just motivated you to stay alert and on top of your Sims, and made you eager to rebuild their lives if they were impacted by them.

I feel like the game needs to play like an actual game again. I like control, and the idea of ruling my game, but I want to be able to play the game as an actual life sim, similar to how city simulators work. The game should dictate what will happen, and it should be our responsibility to use our own thought and creativity to work with or around what happens. It should not be a case of the game holding your hand via checklists/a window in the corner w/ goals through the boring and predictable.

These examples are why I don't understand the players who say they want a realistic life simulator but in the next breath it's ....oh I don't want anything to happen to my little Simmies.
    Let's be fair here - in real life, people are not crushed by falling meteors or satellites. Nobody has ever died from a falling meteor. It's just not something that happens - not least because the vast majority of them vaporise in the Earth's atmosphere.

Challenges are part of life - but many of us play The Sims to escape reality, not recreate it in a virtual world. If I want to face challenges, I can go to work and face them there. If my Sims ever die, I exit without saving, and if my Sims were robbed in TS3, I replaced whatever item was stolen immediately, even if it meant using cheats to acquire the money. I like playing the game how I want to, not how predetermined factors tell me to.

Not everyone plays the game in the way you do - and clearly enough people didn't like the random death aspect of TS2 that they (the Devs) sought to remove it. And no - I didn't like Mrs Crumplebottom. I didn't find her 'funny' - I found her irritating, because my Sims were incapable of doing anything in public without her hitting them with a bag. I don't want that kind of thing in my game - at least make it optional.

Not to be rude, 'Phoebe's Mom', but you need to start learning to accept other people's opinions and preferences. For someone's mom, you act very immaturely, and come across as childish. The problem with many people on here is that they think they have the authority to speak for everyone, when they don't. You think you are speaking for the entire community, but you are not. Simple as that.

Which is why I think The Sims needs to branch into two different modes -- one mode for people who want the game to be a life simulation game and the other for those who want the ultimate sandbox experience, being control of literally everything that goes on in their Sim's lives.

It's feasible, and plenty of other games do this their own way. It's worth noting both modes would place a heavy emphasis on being sandbox and having the player truly ruling the game, rather than incorporate some boring, unheard of "time management" genre within the game, which has virtually nothing to do with the roots of the franchise. The real roots of the franchise is sandbox play, and having the player in control, and until EA develops the game more with that mentality, they really shouldn't be advertising the game as going back to the roots at all.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Which is why I think The Sims needs to branch into two different modes -- one mode for people who want the game to be a life simulation game and the other for those who want the ultimate sandbox experience, being control of literally everything that goes on in their Sim's lives.

It's feasible, and plenty of other games do this their own way. It's worth noting both modes would place a heavy emphasis on being sandbox and having the player truly ruling the game, rather than incorporate some boring, unheard of "time management" genre within the game, which has virtually nothing to do with the roots of the franchise. The real roots of the franchise is sandbox play, and having the player in control, and until EA develops the game more with that mentality, they really shouldn't be advertising the game as going back to the roots at all.

Did we play the same Sims 1? Because it's always been about time management. Finding that balance between having a life and paying the bills, while your house burns down around you and a terrible clown comes to (try to) console you as you sob uncontrollably.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Time management has always been part of the series. That's a part of life after all and it was hard when this was a game first and foremost. Obviously time management is still there, but not in the same way. Before you could decide how you wanted to manage your sims, now it's more like those apps that give you commands and checklists to complete.
  • Options
    NetteNette Posts: 205 Member
    You could always have an option to turn off random events, so you don't get robbed and you won't get burned alive.
  • Options
    keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    While I can appreciate why the devs went for less random events, I wish they didn't. Randomness adds that bit of suspense and surprise to the game. I don't know if it's possible, but it'd be nice to have an option to switch between random and controlled.
  • Options
    MinecraftdSimmerMinecraftdSimmer Posts: 561 Member
    Too many casual players who do not want these things that they cannot control. Only way they will accept it is if there is an option
  • Options
    TarruviTarruvi Posts: 1,227 Member
    I like random events in The Sims! I liked having surprises out of nowhere in TS3, robbers were definitely one of them! :heart:
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited July 2016
    Of all the things I miss, I miss those meteor showers the most. I regularly used the heck out of Disasters & Blessings to wipe out tons townies at once. After a stressful day, it was therapeutic to me to let loose on adults playing in sandboxes at the park. When I get annoyed by sims in 4, I still refer to my urge as wanting to kill somebody as having an "itchy meteor trigger finger". I really wish we could have meteors again. :p That was my favorite method killing sims off. And all the money you got from selling off the space rocks, set for life!