Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Confirmed, we can't work as chefs :/ meh

Comments

• Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    kayt45 wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Can you assign jobs to family members like we can in retail? Then, our chef sim could work, the clumsy sim could bus and the rest of the family could fill in.

This. In GTW retail, you can't "hire" your family, but they can still "manage" the store by performing all the same actions that a normal employee would. You don't actually ever have to hire a single employee. Perhaps it will be similar to that - where you can perform all the same work as a chef/hostess/waiter but not be "employed" as such. Obviously I have no inside sources and could be completely wrong, but that's my gut reaction.

And even if we can't do that (and I really hope we can, don't get me wrong), it looks like this GP will be far and above Restaurant Empire (which is an old game, I grant you, but still, it was an entire game solely focused on restaurants and I LOVED it back in the day). In that game, you couldn't directly control your employees either. But you could assign them to tasks and/or regions of the restaurant and have your chefs building skills in different types of dishes.

Bottom line: Let's not jump to conclusions until we get more info. They may just want to dispel the rumor that chef/waiter/hostess are going to be active careers like the Scientist/Doctor/Detective in GTW.

I'm betting that this is the case. We may not be able to actually be the chef as an active career but I bet you can have a completely family owned and managed restaurant. That's fine by me.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    There will be no point to owning multiple restaurants if we can only earn money from the one we are currently at, ie, retail.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    And so it begins... tumblr_lt28sfPhKV1r4dytpo1_500.gif
    Yep reality setting in. :(
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2016
    I wonder if it's going to work like retail and when we go there with other Sims we won't see our own Sim there and those employees who a player may have taken a lot of time to level up so they didn't drop food etc. But the game just send any ole Sim to be the waiter and the cook. Wonder if that would actually make the experience worse if you took Sims to dine out one of your Sim's restaurants. One thing about TS2 OFB I loved was the feature to visit as another Sim and see how well they were still doing if you hadn't managed it in a long time. If it were a long time, you would see the employees goofing off, your own Sim not doing what she/he should be doing which was assigning duties to clean up, take out trash, ring up customers etc. The places would be a mess. Good times.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    QDog wrote: »
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    We need to wait for clarification on this. BUT, even if this is the case I am still thrilled with this pack. What I've seen I like.

Me too. I never played restaurants in OFB. And I don't really enjoy running bakeries in Ts4 (too much work, my sim spends most of his day baking and baking until his needs are all red. Day in day out). I'm more interested in the restaurant experience as a customer lol

I played with restaurants back then, but it's been so long that I honestly do not remember the mechanics. I do remember it being loads of fun though.

Right now my girl is running a bakery and you are right! Lots of work, but she's been successful thus far. What I do is I open one day then close another. On the closed day I focus on baking to restock, as it's less expensive then doing the auto restock feature. Then on open days i stay open until I sell out. I do allow her one full day off at home too. So far she's bringing in about 2100 simoleons daily. This is with the expense of an employee she pays 45 simoleons an hour right now and the cost of food.

• Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    So I took them saying no you can't be the chef as your sims not being able to be the official chef. I suspect that you sim will be able to man the chef's cooking station like how they can man the bar and barista station. Also if you watch the trailer from 0:41-0:46 you can see 2 controlled sims possibly manning the host podium.

I'm not sure why a lot of people feel like being only the manager would be boring. I'd think that as manager your job would be damage control. If a sim comes in and end up waiting to long for their food anf may leave your sim as manager would probably want to calm them down to get them to stay. Also not sure how valid this is but on thesimscommunity they made a list of confirmed gameplay/features and on that list is Critics so if a critic does come in your sims would want to schmooze them so they would give you a good review.
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Yeah, it does suck that we can't cook the food ourselves. But it's not worth going all doom about it.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2016
    QDog wrote: »
    We need to wait for clarification on this. BUT, even if this is the case I am still thrilled with this pack. What I've seen I like.

Me too. I never played restaurants in OFB. And I don't really enjoy running bakeries in Ts4 (too much work, my sim spends most of his day baking and baking until his needs are all red. Day in day out). I'm more interested in the restaurant experience as a customer lol
    Genies are the answer :mrgreen:
    Kidding, I agree with this.
    (and I think it's too early for being disappointed really, maybe there's other stuff there worth your while)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Noooo
    The employees in this game have so far been unreliable lol...I was hoping my sim with level 10 gourmet cooking would finally be able to put it to use :(

The reason why they were disappointing because The Sims team used Wal-Mart employees as their animation models. Enough said...
  • Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    has the tweet been delete ? i can't find it ...
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Yeah, it does suck that we can't cook the food ourselves. But it's not worth going all doom about it.

That's the thing we're trying to figure out. It sounds like we can't be a chef as an active career. But there's no clarification that we can't as the manager help out with making the food as well.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
    The cooking skill is just clicking a stove and watching an animation. I don't see cooking being developed beyond that and that wouldn't be very interesting as a career in a restaurant.
    soul-glo.gif
    Let your soul shine through.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I'm just waiting on confirmation to be sure the owners can or cannot cook at their own restaurants. Just sounds like so far we can't have an active career for it.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    ColorMeBad10ColorMeBad10 Posts: 2 New Member
    Wow, that really sucks I was thinking a new Job was going to be adding in to the job you can already work as Doctor ,Police , etc. Well before they release the game they need to go back and make some changes. To many people are complaining about not even being able to be a cook in their own restaurant if they wanted. That's gonna make people not want to buy the game because of that reason alone. Yeah people are still going to buy it but your gonna end up not make as much as you would have like if you had that feature added into the game. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    > @Polyrhythm said:
    > Noooo
    > The employees in this game have so far been unreliable lol...I was hoping my sim with level 10 gourmet cooking would finally be able to put it to use :(

all my employees have been reliable. Except the alien, I don't know why, but they never show up when I hired them (but they do get angry when I fired them...)
  • Options
    Honestly the only reason why I'm not expressing frustration because ever since the many disappointments of base game launch I prepared my mind for the first time ever in a Sims series that each game that is launched from The Sims 4 will have at least one or two (major) disappointments and to me this is no different. I gained my disappointment today but I will still get my freak on by getting my Dine On come this June 7th, whatever the year they feel appropriate!
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    The way I would want to play a restaurant is to have one of my sims own and run the restaurant, and when I play another sim I can take them there and see my first sim run the restaurant with the same sims as employees that I hired as that sim. It's not asking for much. Just a little freaking consistency. I'd like to assign my own sim to whatever role I want, and switch it at any time, and have any other employees and family members assigned to any other roles. Again, not asking much here.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    I think some people are overreacting. It was clear from the beginning that the focus of this pack was the dining experience as a customer (a la Nightlife). And I'm happy with that. Thy have also included the business let. Cool.

As for the chef thing: it's still not clear whether our sims will be able to man the cooking station (I would be very surprised if they couldn't). However this pack will not open up the chef career and the fact that your sim mans the cooking station will not make them an official "chef" (with promotions, etc). I don't think anyone was expecting this pack to open up make cooking an active career (and if they were, they set themselves for disappointment because it was clear this was not what the pack was going to be about).
  • Options
    mookie1981mookie1981 Posts: 189 Member
    Well what was the point of them telling the simmers to get their cooking skills leveled up. I got my sims leveled up in cooking, baking and mixology for nothing. Oh well.
    2vmcal4.jpg
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

This.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    The way I would want to play a restaurant is to have one of my sims own and run the restaurant, and when I play another sim I can take them there and see my first sim run the restaurant with the same sims as employees that I hired as that sim. It's not asking for much. Just a little freaking consistency. I'd like to assign my own sim to whatever role I want, and switch it at any time, and have any other employees and family members assigned to any other roles. Again, not asking much here.

Yeah, it's called OFB in TS2. I want to know the game won't explode if it remembers my Sim should be the one at the restaurant and his/her employees when I send my other Sims there to eat.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AmyCarolyn wrote: »
    this is a joke, right? WHY MAKE THIS PACK AND NOT EVEN INCLUDE THE ABILITY TO COOK AT YOUR OWN RESTAURANT?!
    Who the hell made that decision? Wow... I knew things were looking too positive. It wouldn't be an EA release without a big let down.

There's an old saying with such a fresh new generation of The Sims. When you open the door you'll be pushed to the floor from something that you don't want to hear a disappointment never seems to disappear". Welcome to The Sims 4! :)
  • Options
    asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2016
    That's disappointing. :( I'm hoping we get more than what the preview is showing. I've only seen a few new recipes, so I'm hoping we get more than just a hand full of new ones. It would be disheartening since it's a restaurant pack.
    Post edited by asouthernwriter on
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »

Yeah, it's called OFB in TS2. I want to know the game won't explode if it remembers my Sim should be the one at the restaurant and his/her employees when I send my other Sims there to eat.
    Gawd I miss OFB SO much, and Sims 2 in general. If I could get my Sims 2 to not crash on me, I'd go back to that in a woosh.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---