Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Confirmed, we can't work as chefs :/ meh

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Can you assign jobs to family members like we can in retail? Then, our chef sim could work, the clumsy sim could bus and the rest of the family could fill in.

This. In GTW retail, you can't "hire" your family, but they can still "manage" the store by performing all the same actions that a normal employee would. You don't actually ever have to hire a single employee. Perhaps it will be similar to that - where you can perform all the same work as a chef/hostess/waiter but not be "employed" as such. Obviously I have no inside sources and could be completely wrong, but that's my gut reaction.

And even if we can't do that (and I really hope we can, don't get me wrong), it looks like this GP will be far and above Restaurant Empire (which is an old game, I grant you, but still, it was an entire game solely focused on restaurants and I LOVED it back in the day). In that game, you couldn't directly control your employees either. But you could assign them to tasks and/or regions of the restaurant and have your chefs building skills in different types of dishes.

Bottom line: Let's not jump to conclusions until we get more info. They may just want to dispel the rumor that chef/waiter/hostess are going to be active careers like the Scientist/Doctor/Detective in GTW.

Or it could be you click on the stove and it says hire somebody and no other option.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    mrnhmath wrote: »
    Zerbu just tweeted that he maybe mod this in, depending of how the whole system is coded.

That's great and everything but not all of the players like or even use mods. So it kind of makes it bad that modders can do something the Gurus should be able to do already

tumblr_mxr34zwXVm1s9a988o6_500.gif

Whatever, EA being EA.
  • Options
    MinnieMouseMinnieMouse Posts: 262 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Can you assign jobs to family members like we can in retail? Then, our chef sim could work, the clumsy sim could bus and the rest of the family could fill in.

This. In GTW retail, you can't "hire" your family, but they can still "manage" the store by performing all the same actions that a normal employee would. You don't actually ever have to hire a single employee. Perhaps it will be similar to that - where you can perform all the same work as a chef/hostess/waiter but not be "employed" as such. Obviously I have no inside sources and could be completely wrong, but that's my gut reaction.

And even if we can't do that (and I really hope we can, don't get me wrong), it looks like this GP will be far and above Restaurant Empire (which is an old game, I grant you, but still, it was an entire game solely focused on restaurants and I LOVED it back in the day). In that game, you couldn't directly control your employees either. But you could assign them to tasks and/or regions of the restaurant and have your chefs building skills in different types of dishes.

Bottom line: Let's not jump to conclusions until we get more info. They may just want to dispel the rumor that chef/waiter/hostess are going to be active careers like the Scientist/Doctor/Detective in GTW.

Or it could be you click on the stove and it says hire somebody and no other option.

And that's entirely possible. But my point is... let's wait until we have the info instead of letting dissatisfaction and annoyance get the better of us within less than 4 hours of the announcement. Not pointing fingers at anyone, just wanting to be positive.
  • Options

And that's entirely possible. But my point is... let's wait until we have the info instead of letting dissatisfaction and annoyance get the better of us within less than 4 hours of the announcement. Not pointing fingers at anyone, just wanting to be positive.

The Sims statement was pretty clear. It said no.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Are you serious?!! What a wasted opportunity!! :/

Seems so.
    Great :( another wasted opportunity to give us more active careers again.

Very underwhelmed by the boring trailer as it is lol!
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    graventhe wrote: »
    mQbmqOh.jpg

A whole pack centered about restaurants and we can't even work as chefs ... :/
    EA is making this mistake again by ignore the need to implement a job that is well suited for the pack
    It's sad when even modders can create jobs and EA too lazy to do it

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!???? Why the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 is there even a new cooking skill then?

What new cooking skill? Also i don't understand. If you can't cook, then what are you suppose to do? Just wait on customers? In other words, more talking.

^This right here. I was under the impression (guessing most of the simmers here) that we could participate in our establishments but if we can't even do that what was the point exactly of owning one?
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I wrote this on another thread...

Here's how I'm taking it. There's already a chef career, and when you join it you go to work in a place in the world. But since there aren't real restaurants yet you never see them. But since there will be you should be able to see your chef working in one of the restaurants, like how you see the bartenders. OR since you can be a manager, you could hire your sim to become a chef in your other sims restaurant. Does this make sense? lol
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    DiamondsR4everDiamondsR4ever Posts: 243 Member
    I just imagine if you want a sim to be hired as a chef that he would have to have a certain cooking skill and the pay is based off that(like sims 2). Like when you hire a caterer and it has where you can hire any or a specific sim. I wouldn't take it to heart or think they didn't consider the chefs cooking skill at all. It's still more info that needs to be released before creating solid ideas of what it's going to be. It would be absolutely awesome to be able to go to work as a chef and have iterations on that. But you still have the option to be hired for the chef job. I think they could do that. But, I'm not sure. I don't understand automatically thinking a certain way about incomplete information. Don't think the worse or the most. If anything you can always give feedback. They seem pretty open to it.
    The ignore feature is a blessing :D . Don't be afraid to use it!
  • Options
    kayt45kayt45 Posts: 434 Member

I'm betting that this is the case. We may not be able to actually be the chef as an active career but I bet you can have a completely family owned and managed restaurant. That's fine by me.
  • Options
    MinnieMouseMinnieMouse Posts: 262 Member

It said no to the "can we work as chefs" question. Which could mean 2 things: 1 - can we be a chef in the restaurant (like as an active career) or 2 - can we perform the tasks of a chef. Like I said in GTW retail, you could do the work of an employee without actually being an employee. "Manage" also means different things to different people (i.e. those who like to micromanage and those who don't).

So again I say, let's wait until there's an actual unambiguous statement and not jump to conclusions yet. Also, like others have said, I don't see a point to the new "experimental foods" if there isn't a reason to use them...
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

It said no to the "can we work as chefs" question. Which could mean 2 things: 1 - can we be a chef in the restaurant (like as an active career) or 2 - can we perform the tasks of a chef. Like I said in GTW retail, you could do the work of an employee without actually being an employee. "Manage" also means different things to different people (i.e. those who like to micromanage and those who don't).

So again I say, let's wait until there's an actual unambiguous statement and not jump to conclusions yet. Also, like others have said, I don't see a point to the new "experimental foods" if there isn't a reason to use them...

Maybe @SimGuruDrake could fill us in, in a more specific way?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    Another disappointment. This game takes two steps toward and always ends backtracking
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member

Thanks for that perspective. I agree. I hope you are right, because it's a really big shame. There is no point in owning a business if we can't *DO* any of the jobs there. I don't get why "hired" employees tho, can't be "employees" like Sims 2. You couldn't go *get* a job at a retail location or restaurant, but you could have your active household hire said Sim, and when playing said Sims lot, they would go to work *9-5* and take home whatever 8 hours of pay would be (even if said Sim worked 3 hours a day playing the active households business). For instance, "Andrea Shankel" is the manager of my Simo grocery store. I play her lot with her family and she takes off to "Simo" for 8 hours and brings home 1024 and yes I know the amount cuz I just played that last week lol.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If we could be the chef, how would it have worked? Let's say you have an average sized restaurant and tonight it's half full. You are in the kitchen waiting to cook. A waiter takes an order and what happens next? Do you get a pop up telling you what to cook and how many? Suppose the two orders are different, that's cooking two different meals, one after the other, so, twice as long. But other orders are backing up, you've got several pop ups with orders waiting to be filled. I don't think we could be the chef alone, maybe with one or two other chefs to help out. If you don't cook fast enough, customers will leave angry and hungry. Then your rating goes down and people stop coming. And how is a list of dishes that you must make any better than the goal oriented tasks you must do in GTW?
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Simfan923 wrote: »
    mrnhmath wrote: »
    Zerbu just tweeted that he maybe mod this in, depending of how the whole system is coded.

That's great and everything but not all of the players like or even use mods. So it kind of makes it bad that modders can do something the Gurus should be able to do already

tumblr_mxr34zwXVm1s9a988o6_500.gif

While I'm happy with the pack but dissapointed with the lack of being a chef, things like this are going to happen.
    Do you know how many mods there are for GTA V to add stuff that was in previous games, or stuff that just *should* be there too?

With a game pack budget they may have exceeded it by the time the finished the venue as a whole. At least they have made it possible for players to customise it with mods. Mods aren't just for *missing* stuff but it's also for people to personalise their games beyond the developers too.

So while a lot of players wouldn't even care to be a chef, those who can customise their games to do so.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    If it was taking them this long to release it and was supposedly being released in May but won't come out till early June and we still can't cook in our own restaurants,I shudder to think what wasn't initially in the GP to begin with.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2016
    If we could be the chef, how would it have worked? Let's say you have an average sized restaurant and tonight it's half full. You are in the kitchen waiting to cook. A waiter takes an order and what happens next? Do you get a pop up telling you what to cook and how many? Suppose the two orders are different, that's cooking two different meals, one after the other, so, twice as long. But other orders are backing up, you've got several pop ups with orders waiting to be filled. I don't think we could be the chef alone, maybe with one or two other chefs to help out. If you don't cook fast enough, customers will leave angry and hungry. Then your rating goes down and people stop coming. And how is a list of dishes that you must make any better than the goal oriented tasks you must do in GTW?

I guess you haven't played TS2 either.

A costumer places an order and IF there is someone filling in as a chef in the "chef's oven" they'll automatically prepare what the person asked for. That simple. They put the plate down next to them after preparing it and the waiter comes and takes it. BLAM!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I wonder if you can hire staff that has the "right" skills though as the manager. Like if you had that fabulous cook in your game?

Yeah. I'm kinda hoping you can maybe hire a cook from one of your own active households.
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options

TS2 did it very well. If a group sat down (but usually when you were running one it was only one Sim order at time) your Sim as chef was busy fixing meals ahead of time and putting them on the counter for waiter to pick up. The waiter would go back to the chef and pick those up. Magically it was what they ordered or what your Sim ordered when visiting. It was an animation on a loop just like bartenders who keep mixing and putting drinks down.
  • Options
    lalalalanalalalalalanala Posts: 102 Member
    edited May 2016
    It does say "new Host, Waiter, and Chef stations" so it could work like the sims 2. But I am not going to count on it since the FB page said no. I rather go off them then go off the "what could happen theories." That's how people get their hopes up then they become disappointed. Maybe it will change down the line when more information comes out, but until then oh well.. i am still excited for it.