Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the specular layer work?

Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
If I'm not mistaken you are supposed to drag your layer with stickers to the specular layer to show up shiny right? It shows fine in preview mode. Also, when using the specular layer are you able to color it in CAS or will it always be a gray tone? Why do the stickers change when I have it in silhouette mode? I'm confused exactly how the specular layer works and doesn't work.
xdwcgm.png

In-game it looks just like the background color which is dark with no stars. I did go back to CAP to edit the pattern to put in a real colorable background and copy and pasted the second set of stars on a different layer which is in silhouette mode but they were in different positions. But only the stars in silhouette show.
11rub2t.jpg
ht7aec.jpg
2dkg2n5.jpg

What it looks like in CAP
2psn3gl.png
rr5xtj.png
“What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Stand a little taller
Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
Footsteps even lighter”

Comments

• Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Nevermind. Apparently the specular doesn't really show up on clothes or at least the very few I tried. That's disappointing but it still looks nice on the wall and furniture.

15i82ev.jpg
    1075cvt.jpg
    2e3zsqc.jpg
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited June 2016
    Sometimes you have to adjust the brightness on the color wheel.But you can actually layer stuff in the one area you are working with like below and no matter the color you make it in CAP you can change it many ways in game with the color wheel.For example the preset will be a pale lavender shirt with green and yellow stars but can change in game many ways with brightness and color wheel.

Just stacked stars in the same layer

ThisThing_zpsd3prjt0k.jpg

To get an idea of your color options move to different spots on the color wheel because when in game CAS is what you can do,try not focus to much on your color.Example

Thisthing2_zpsjy0nkxt0.jpg
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited July 2016
    @CravenLestat Thanks, I'm going to try that. In the meantime, I've already done another pattern without and with using the specular layer but again it does not show on clothes so maybe as you say, I have the brightness too dark.

de05ye.jpg
    jv3qio.jpg
    How it shows on the wall and pedestal is how I thought it would show on clothes as well but all I see is just the background. I thought it would be really nice to have the reflective star pattern on clothes.

Edit: Apparently when I read the tutorial, I couldn't comprehend because of sleep deprivation but once properly rested and rereading I understand clearly. The specular does not work on all clothing items and it depends if it has a specular layer.
    Post edited by Deshong04 on
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • gothceltgirlgothceltgirl Posts: 10 New Member
    OK firstly I can't get a screenshot when I'm in CAP, and my spectacular specular layers show up so lovely and glistening & irridescent in CAP but not in game, silvery things just look greenish. I even raised my rendering levels in my options, but it's not really much better. :( So I guess it's probably a graphics card issue or some such. Too bad. I finally managed to make some really lovely designs. I'll be sharing them soon, hopefully someone else will be able to see & enjoy them in their game.