The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dishes Stuck Outside of Lot (SOLVED)

HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
One of my Sims was leaving for work, and she was carrying a pile of dishes with her. I cancelled the dishes action but my game is stupid sometimes; instead of just stopping cold turkey the Sims keep walking until the very end of their pre-determined routes before stopping. She did this and proceeded to drop the dishes right where she disappeared for work, which is outside of the lot. Any ideas on how to get rid of the dishes? Whenever I click on the dishes, the option to throw them out is greyed out because there is "no trash bin available".

Edit: The problem was solved by using the "Set As Head" cheat and setting a trash can as the Sim's head. Simply waiting for the dishes to disappear did NOT work.
aSE16f8.gif
Post edited by HowGreatThouArt on

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member
    They will disappear on their own in a couple of sim days. Don't worry.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

I wish this happened in real life.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
    BabySquare wrote: »

I wish this happened in real life.

LOL.
    832XG3D.gif
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,569 Member
    Hello
    It can sometimes take a few sims day or a week but the dishes can disappear,like Dekay posted.
    If you would prefer, you could try rolling back your save game file to an earlier version, before the issue took place.
    These links explain how to do that.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783120/how-to-roll-back-your-save/p1
    https://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-restore-a-previous-saved-game-in-the-sims-4/
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    Something you might try: I found out that a Kleptomaniac can 'steal' homework books left in public areas -- something else I'd previously had no way to get rid of. Not sure if they can 'steal' plates or not. It might be worth trying if you have a Sim with the trait.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,569 Member
    Ayradyss wrote: »
    Something you might try: I found out that a Kleptomaniac can 'steal' homework books left in public areas -- something else I'd previously had no way to get rid of. Not sure if they can 'steal' plates or not. It might be worth trying if you have a Sim with the trait.

Hello.
    Thank for the helpful tip! :)
  • I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
    Not sure if this helps -- or the same problem, but I had an urn stuck outside of the lot. I traveled to the location on the map where I could walk to it, pick it up, then right in front of my house, traveled back to my lot with the urn.
    soul-glo.gif
    Let your soul shine through.
  • egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    This happened to me not too long ago, I had some silly Sim drop plates right outside the spawn point of their house. Couldn't pick them up from anywhere, and they never did disappear. Lazy cleanup crew?

Got on my nerves so much I moved them to another lot. Immediate problem solved, and I'm not playing that save file any longer, but it wouldn't surprise me if those dishes would still be there at the end of time.

If there's a "clean up junk" routine supposedly running in this game... where's mine? I USED to see things like that had happened, game spiffing up lots, but any more, if I leave something behind, it's there (and usually smelly) when I go back.

2 different problems? 2 different parts of the same problem? I don't know, but I DO wish stuff like that was auto-fixing here. It isn't.

Yes, I have mods in. No, I won't play without them. I'll hire maids, get my neat freaks busy, and use build/buy when I can, and ignore what doesn't fix, first.

But I've *always* had mods in, and I remember it used to work. I wonder what's changed NOW?

• HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll wait it out or I'll just have to deal with it. Or maybe I'll try the Klepto Sim.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited April 2016
    oh that happens because silly sims try to cleanup their plates and everyone else sticks only one plate in the dishwasher what a waste of water, and the pile of plates get dropped on the lot because sims are leaving, but they are heading to the trash and can't make it to the trash so the plates get dropped through the sims when they disappear. Oh, a really funny problem was my sim went to work with plates in their hand and plate was hover over spawn point for when sim returned. Sim returned to lot with plate still in hand went and took a shower with plates in hand and than went to dishwasher to wash plates.

Edit: My plates on the edge of the lot still haven't disappeared.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • halfnotes9halfnotes9 Posts: 163 Member
    I never use a dishwasher. I use the Nano can touchless trashcan, which gives you $10 everytime you dispose of a plate. If it still has a dish that was prepared in it, like ones with poor quality, you can use this trashcan, and it will give you $20.00. If I need to get the whim points, I buy a dishwasher and sell it, fast way to get points!
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    halfnotes9 wrote: »
    I never use a dishwasher. I use the Nano can touchless trashcan, which gives you $10 everytime you dispose of a plate. If it still has a dish that was prepared in it, like ones with poor quality, you can use this trashcan, and it will give you $20.00. If I need to get the whim points, I buy a dishwasher and sell it, fast way to get points!

It actually gives you $10 per member of your household. (Unless it has changed, it's been a long time since I've used one.) So if you have 5 Sims in your household, every single thing you put in that can will give you $50. That adds up fast!
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I was going to mention the Set-as-Head cheat to put garbage bins outside of the lot... Then I noticed this is an old thread. :#

Well, anyway, you can still stick garbage bins outside of your lot since those dishes become trashbags when you can pick them up. I set a bunch of bins everywhere when I read it in that Set-as-Head trick thread. :)
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Cement wrote: »
    I was going to mention the Set-as-Head cheat to put garbage bins outside of the lot... Then I noticed this is an old thread. :#

Well, anyway, you can still stick garbage bins outside of your lot since those dishes become trashbags when you can pick them up. I set a bunch of bins everywhere when I read it in that Set-as-Head trick thread. :)

That's OK, I'm sure there are still people with the problem that will appreciate your input.

Would set as head work in this situation, though? They are talking about the inaccessible areas, not just the public spaces. I've had it happen in my game before, too, and I was unable to click or interact with the plates in any way.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
    The dishes are still there, so I'm open to any suggestions. :D
    aSE16f8.gif
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    edited June 2016
    Testingcheats on > shift-click > destroy object.
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Can't you just click on them and ask your Sim to throw them away in any nearby bin?
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Piperbird wrote: »
    Cement wrote: »

That's OK, I'm sure there are still people with the problem that will appreciate your input.

Would set as head work in this situation, though? They are talking about the inaccessible areas, not just the public spaces. I've had it happen in my game before, too, and I was unable to click or interact with the plates in any way.

Oh! In that case, I'm not that sure. By which do you mean inaccessible areas? I don't think I've ever had plates glitched there :s
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    Can't you just click on them and ask your Sim to throw them away in any nearby bin?

The dishes are just outside my lot boundary, and apparently there are no trash cans around. Every time I click on the plates, the only option - throw away - is greyed out because there are "no trash bins available".

I'm not on my computer now @pixiejuice but I will try that tomorrow.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    aaronjc123 wrote: »

The dishes are just outside my lot boundary, and apparently there are no trash cans around. Every time I click on the plates, the only option - throw away - is greyed out because there are "no trash bins available".

I'm not on my computer now @pixiejuice but I will try that tomorrow.

Ah I see. Every time that happened to me there was a trash bin nearby.
    Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I must say - thank you @Cement !! Your suggestion of the Set As Head cheat worked! I now have the option to throw away the dishes. :smiley: Thank you again.

06-24-16_1-20-32nbspPM_zpsxtpdfa79.png

(I know some people find this cheat really pointless but I find it so funny sometimes :D )
    aSE16f8.gif
    Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I must say - thank you @Cement !! Your suggestion of the Set As Head cheat worked! I now have the option to throw away the dishes. :smiley: Thank you again.

(I know some people find this cheat really pointless but I find it so funny sometimes :D )

You really shouldn't use this cheat. XD It's too risky. If you use it wrongly, you might get a giant mailbox on your lot and there's no way to remove it other than going back to a previous save.

For the dish outside, just leave it. It will disappear after a few sim days.
    832XG3D.gif

You really shouldn't use this cheat. XD It's too risky. If you use it wrongly, you might get a giant mailbox on your lot and there's no way to remove it other than going back to a previous save.

Actually, that did happen! I reset my Sim to get rid of his trash can head and the trash can appeared outside the lot boundary. *bangs head on desk*

However I had only played for like 10 minutes and just quit without saving. I don't use the cheat often, just for laughs now and then. But if you notice the date of when I first created this thread, the dishes have been outside of the house for that long. They never disappeared. So this cheat is the only way I could get rid of them. "Destroy object" didn't work either.
    aSE16f8.gif

Actually, that did happen! I reset my Sim to get rid of his trash can head and the trash can appeared outside the lot boundary. *bangs head on desk*

However I had only played for like 10 minutes and just quit without saving. I don't use the cheat often, just for laughs now and then. But if you notice the date of when I first created this thread, the dishes have been outside of the house for that long. They never disappeared. So this cheat is the only way I could get rid of them. "Destroy object" didn't work either.

Huh that's odd. So now you're still stuck with the dish outside?
    832XG3D.gif
    edited June 2016

Huh that's odd. So now you're still stuck with the dish outside?

Nope. I chose one of my Sims who was about to die and put the cheat on her. So she died with a trash can on her head. :p

Edit: So no, there are no dishes outside anymore and I made sure the giant trash can ended with her, haha.
    aSE16f8.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top