Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More Variety with Building... for those of us that like to build :)

I did a post about a week ago similar to this one... but I didn't get specific. I tried adding the specifics later... but the post got pushed.

Because I know I'm not the only one who really enjoys the building in this game... I thought I would list some things that Maybe the Sims team would consider for us builders in a Stuff Pack of sorts.

What builders like myself would like to see in the game:

*Bring back Auto roof feature and add more varieties and colors of roofing...

*create more chimneys and make sure there are enough options to match the stone an brick wall options.

*More varieties of Windows and Doors.. and more color combo options for them.

*More Matching sets for Doors and Windows

*A lot more options of Drapes and curtains, blinds, and window treatments in general for all sized windows.

*More fireplaces please... stones fireplaces, modern tile fireplaces, Rustic fireplaces, fireplaces that you can insert into a wall so it can been used or seen from two different rooms

*A floor tool that allows you to have a step down into another room.

*Stair options.. L shaped Stairs, Curved Stairs, Round Stairs, and more variety of metal, wood, carpeted, wood with a carpet runner.

*Terrain tool. We need to be able to put windows in the basements... lower the terrain or build it up so we can have houses on hills.

*I know we don't have cars... but a Garage would still be a good thing. teenagers could have band practice in there. variety of Garage doors, and the ability to attach the Garage to the house.

*More varieties of Bathroom items... especially more toilets and sinks.. and specify which sinks for the kitchen and which ones for the bathrooms. I'm so tired of my sims washing their dishes in the bathroom sink. and Bathroom Stalls for community lots.

*More Wall options... definitely more stone and brick options, that goes with the floors too.

*We always need a bigger variety of Landscaping options... just more bushes, flowers, some more specific to what ever world you're in. Desert would need more desert type plants and the forest would need greener and more lush plants....etc.

*Of course we would then need more fencing options, and hopefully gates that will actually work with what ever fence you choose to use.

*Lighting... Lighting is always an issue... there just needs to be more variety... I always end up using the same 4 lights cause everything else looks so bad when I try it.

*Display cases for shelving for the sims that collect all those crystals and metals and so forth. maybe even built in shelving as a wall tool just to create an other option.

*The Kitchens need a lot of help. there needs to be more counter options, and appliance options. again I'm using the same like 4 counters cause as few as there are...there are some there that are just awful.

Well that should do it for now. Anyone want to add their preferences... please do so

Comments

• Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I tried to make my old condo but found the following were missing when I tried it:
    File cabinet (2 and 4 drawer single tile), litter box (pets anyone?), pet food bowls, windows that slide open horizontally (think 2 frames side by side), sliding glass door, blinds or curtains for sliding glass door, blinds for windows that actually fit the windows I want to use, curtains for windows that actually fit the windows I want to use, shoji screen door (sliding) - I used a mod for a shoji divider to simulate it, tall single-tile wooden bookcases that you can see all the shelves on, single shelves on walls, brown counter with orange countertop and cupboard to match, desk with matching orange countertop, blender, rice cooker, George Foreman grill, coat pegs, (or even a coat rack), 2 tile bookcase that fits *below* a window, over-the-toilet cupboard for bathroom, hook-shaped hooks (over the door style) - for bathrobes, towels, etc., secretary desk with display hutch (curio display cabinet), antique dressers with mirrors, curved stair steps leading underwater into a pool, like you find in the shallow end. Not to even mention an elevator, a step stool, a bucket, plastic drawers, or a ladder or a decorative broom or mop or vacuum cleaner or jewelry armoire.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited April 2016
    I need more Masonry
    I'm having trouble with my house.

I need this textures
    ea378cf9-ed20-41ca-a13b-99bee438e724_400.jpg8914b880af97e20b6be1c7eae6c42abe.jpg
    and I want to be able to make this entry way in one of my homes, but no arch way fits

interior-exterior-beautiful-grey-wood-glass-unique-design-faux-stone-exterior-veneer-house-be-equipped-wall-lamp-fence-windows-door-glass-at-house-with-types-of-vinyl-siding-and-what-is-stone-veneer.jpg
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    Yes!!! Exactly what I'm talking about! you both nailed it.... we just need more. and you're so right MasonGamer.... more stone and brick / Masonry options. I'm a huge fan of stonework and we have hardly any options.

and Simslikesims... yes we need more of all those options with bookcases and windows, curtain, blinds... all the things you mentioned.. they are all relevant to the building process and how the little things can play a huge role in how we play this game.

It's like when they made this incarnation of the sims... they forgot about us builders. Every time there is a stuff pack or expansion pack I keep thinking maybe they will include some more building items for us.... but they don't. And some of those things I asked for, like the different types of stairs... they didn't give us until right at the end of TS3 series.

I'm just hoping they actually read these suggestions in this forum, because I'm not the only one who has created a thread on wanting more building options.

Thanks you guys for your suggestions. Maybe more simmers will chime in now... Even if they made the suggestions on other threads... feel free to repeat yourself.

thanks
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I have to say no terrain tool is hard... and terrain paint only goes so far So I would like a mulch pieces, I was hoping CC would be made but I would like to put down mulch, or rocks for the garden. and make it 3D, I don't want mulch terrain paint
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    edited April 2016
    We soooo need a terrain tool. I thought when they gave us basements that we might be getting that option. There are so many things us builders need right now to stay engaged in the game. Our parks are so bla without a terrain tool. And yes.. mulch, more rock options, bushes, flowers, trees, edging, flower pots... all can be used to change the entire feel of a house. I'm not fond of that Paint option when it comes to creating an outdoor environment. it never matches the edge of the non playable sim world... so it looks dumb when i use it.

I have not found any CC that would work with this game, that i would like anyway. I think us builders are just constantly drown out by those who want toddlers and pool options. Not that those elements are not important... they are important to those who want them. but it would be great for those of us who want to build, get our voices and wants heard too.
  • Options
    Yeah I've only built 1 pool since pools were introduced, I haven't even had my sims in a pool yet, like they don't use it, because there's nothing really to do.

there was a few other things I wanted for build mode.

You mentioned putting windows on foundation level, I agree, so some natural light can enter the basement.

oh Ceiling textures, and tiles
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    Oh yeah...that's right!!! Ceiling textures... I totally forgot about those.

I've build a few pools since they added the whole pond feature with the stone steps and bubble / steam grates. I still prefer the terrain tool where we could make the ponds more real looking... but this kinda works for now.

I don't even bother to make basements right now... cause I miss being able to build the house on a hill, and then put the basement in, with a walk out sliding door. Basements needs some natural light, just like you said.

I miss garages. towards the end of TS3 series... I had figured out how to attach the garage to the house... it was so great.
  • Options
    Okto84Okto84 Posts: 198 Member
    I've improved a lot of these things, like the limited styles of fireplaces with cc, but I'm always torn between building with some custom content to make exactly what I want (or close enough), and building with maxis stuff so that I can share the lot easily with other people.
  • Options
    jheyjuneicejheyjuneice Posts: 335 Member
    The ability to paint foundations. I did a study room that had steps down from the foundation part into the main part. I realised I couldn't change the foundation colour at all. Whilst it doesn't look too bad I'm sure we were able to paint foundations in the past?
    6Y6GB8R.png
  • Options
    You know.... CC is a slippery slope... I messed up my sims 2 game with it and had to un-istall and re-install, then later got an entire new computer. Now granted.... CC has come a long way since TS2... because of the Maxis store, or whatever that was called... I was able to get a lot of safer CC for TS3. I haven't tried any for this game... yet. I might have to take a look at what's out there.. thanks Okto84
  • Options
    The ability to paint foundations. I did a study room that had steps down from the foundation part into the main part. I realised I couldn't change the foundation colour at all. Whilst it doesn't look too bad I'm sure we were able to paint foundations in the past?

Yeah, we were able to paint foundations... it would be great to have that option as well. I'm really surprised we didn't have more building options with this version of the sims. the limitations have been difficult to work around.
  • Options
    VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    I'd like to see some glass tiles for the roof so I can make a skylight. Maybe it's already possible and I'm just missing something but if not then I would really love to be able to do this.
  • Options
    most definitely... Skylights would be so great... And no you are not missing anything. with the way the roof works right now.. you can't put skylights in.... Unless maybe you want to do a flat roof, and delete a couple of the floor tiles and leave a hole in the roof. Glass tiles would work for that. good idea.
  • Options
    NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    edited April 2016
    I'd like the ability to place stairs into pools please.
    Also, +1 for skylights.
  • Options
    Okto84Okto84 Posts: 198 Member
    thevogel wrote: »
    You know.... CC is a slippery slope... I messed up my sims 2 game with it and had to un-istall and re-install, then later got an entire new computer. Now granted.... CC has come a long way since TS2... because of the Maxis store, or whatever that was called... I was able to get a lot of safer CC for TS3. I haven't tried any for this game... yet. I might have to take a look at what's out there.. thanks Okto84

I have downloaded so much custom content now, and I never planned to! It just spiralled at some point... Anyway, couple of objects have broken my game, but it was fine when I removed them - so now I just place all new objects in a folder named testing so that if the game doesn't load next time I run it, I can narrow the problem down easily. Once I know they work I move them over to other folders and use the testing folder for the next downloads I make. I'm not sure about script mods, they might have more risks? I use a few, but try to choose only the ones I really want. So far I seem to be ok.

As for skylights, at least on flat roofs you can use dance floors! Where they're on a section where sims can walk and I don't want them randomly dancing on the roof light I've just built low walls around them. You can also build a roof around the flat section with a dance floor in it to get something of both effects.
  • Options
    2HubbiesNLove2HubbiesNLove Posts: 658 Member
    Here lately I've been building tiny houses. My husband and I are actually in the process of going tiny... we have someone customizing a tiny house for us--- we're so excited!!!

I would love to have new objects in the game that serve for tiny space living. Murphy beds would come in really handy especially if it had a multi-purpose. When the Murphy bed was up it served as a armorer/dresser and then our sims pulled it down when they had to go to sleep. Perhaps a walk-in shower similar to the walk-in closets, except instead of entering CAS it had the shower, toilet and sink all-in-one. It would be cool if we had storage that could be placed underneath our staircases, as well as ladders (lofts with ladders connected to the loft, so we could place the loft as a bed). Tiny house appliances- tiny fridge and portable cooktops.

* Murphy Bed/Dresser Combo.
    * Lofts
    * 3-in-1 Bathroom Object
    * Sleeper Sofa
    * Staircase Storage
    * Convertible Dining Set- Acts as a kitchen table with chairs/folds into sectional/folds into bed.
    * Bead Curtain/Curtains that function as door
    * Sliding Door
    * Multi-Purpose Flatscreen TV (Mirror when not being used)
    * Tiny Living Appliances- Portable Cooktop/Mini Fridge/Mini Dishwasher/Washer-Dryer Combo.
    * New Foundation- Trailer with 4 different sizes- 4x4/4x8/4x12/4x16
  • Options
    buydebugbuydebug Posts: 197 Member
    This is an awesome thread. Even though most of my game is Custom Content, let's get started.

I completely agree with all of your ideas, and here are some of my own
    ‌•sliding glass door
    ‌•more decor in general
    ‌•electrical outlets and light switches?
    ‌•+1 on skylights
    ‌•+1 on stairs in pools
    ‌•I definitely want more variety in instruments
    ‌•more variety in computers and televisions
  • Options
    KimsSimsKimsSims Posts: 95 Member
    Stairs in the pool. I've never been in a pool that didn't have steps going from the pavement and down into the pool. Not a big deal really, just an idea.
    90ppvq.jpg

• Options
    ShearsyShearsy Posts: 727 Member
    I absolutely love all of these ideas.

-Skylights I want!
    -Different types of stairs
    -A sofa bed would be great
    -More bed choices defiantly! Bunk beds too!
    -Curtains and blinds
    -Garages
  • Options
    Okto84... thanks for the skylight suggestion with the dance floor... I'll give that a try on my next modern house build.

2HubbiesNlove I love the idea of tiny houses in the game... so many cool ideas, thanks for sharing.

Buydebug, oh man...you just came up with a ton of stuff I forgot. I got started on this thread and making the wish list... and I knew I was forgetting things.... but yes, the sliding doors, outlets and switches.... and yes definitely more variety in everything... especially with the computers and tv's. thanks

Niknak and Kimssims you are totally right. we need stairs in the pools. what pool doesn't have a shallow end with stairs? Only the sims. Yes we need stairs in the pools.
  • Options
    buydebugbuydebug Posts: 197 Member
    Lighting options are always in high demand. Need them.
    And I know this is kind of a small random thing, but I would really love a ladder for my bookcase in the study
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I want to be able to have other buildings on the lot without a foundation. So many things I can't do or don't even want to attempt because of this. I will leave it at that for now.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    buydebug wrote: »
    Lighting options are always in high demand. Need them.
    And I know this is kind of a small random thing, but I would really love a ladder for my bookcase in the study

Yes... Lighting... so frustrating with the lack of lighting choices we currently have.

and I love the idea of a latter for the bookcase... we need floor to ceiling bookcases.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I want to be able to have other buildings on the lot without a foundation. So many things I can't do or don't even want to attempt because of this. I will leave it at that for now.

We have so many limitations as builders right now. and this idea is great.... I mean we had it with TS3... so I don't understand why we can't have it now. it's very frustrating that with this version of the game we didn't get more building options with the base game. And now even with a few stuff packs and expansion packs.. we still have very few building options.
  • Options
    Roofing, octogonal roofs.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood: