Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 Chance Cards are No Joke

Comments

• SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    I do remember the Chance Cards. The Chance Card in The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories are worse because of the fact they can demote or even fire a Sim. While a demotion is an inconvenience, getting fired can be frustrating because it's a pain to get the Job back. It's made worse when The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories have Career Rewards that you unlock so getting fired from a Chance Card can be a pain if trying to get the Career Rewards or if you're trying to complete the Lifetime Want involving the career. Better hoped you saved before you went to work!

What's worse is that the Pleasant family in TS2 has an impossible Chance Card that always appears when Mary-Sue Pleasant goes to work. Both options are coded to fail resulting her getting fired or demoted if you choose either option but it does have an ignore option. I think EA/Maxis probably intended Mary-Sue to catch Daniel cheating since getting fired or demoted from a Chance Card forced the Sim to go home. Players who've seen Mary-Sue's chance card might assume the other Chance Cards have negative effects especially if your first Chance Card caused a negative effect.

At least The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories allowed you to ignore them. The Sims 2 FreeTime and The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection do alleviate the "getting fired from Chance Cards" with the Plead for Job reward (exclusive to FreeTime) that allows you to plead to get your Job back which could help.

The Sims 3 had some options through a dialog as well as some events through the notification which you had no control. I don't there's anything in TS3 that can automatically fire you except for one career in the game. When the Political career, you are sometimes asked if you want to take the money and it's said that if you accept, you can get fired. I always decline when the game asks me so I haven't gotten fired.

They have even returned in TS4 to :trollface: your Sims by having some options reduce your career performance (Small or Medium Performance loss) and you can't ignore them. It doesn't help that EA nerfed the performance and promotions in TS4, the Chance Cards in TS4 even make it worse as some options result in performance loss which could undo the performance you gained. In TS4, I always save the game when a Sim goes to work in case a Chance Card decides to appear and reduce my performance.

See? ^^^^ THIS is what I'm talking about. The fact that some cards in TS2 ARE guaranteed for failure no matter which option you choose, and I've gotten them. Not often, but I've gotten them.

And in my current family, both working Sims have been fired a couple of times now, lol (all last night). I think I was just too tired to pick the right choice in those cases, although my male Sim was in the medical career track, and I seem to recall I've gotten tripped up by that particular card before by choosing the same option and getting him fired. I have no idea if picking the other choice would result in the same (getting fired) seeing as I can never seem to get them back into the medical career track. So, now he's in the science career. We'll see if he does better there. My female working Sim got fired too, but thankfully her job was back in the paper that same day, so I just had her take that job again, and since then she's been promoted twice already.

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I do remember the Chance Cards. The Chance Card in The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories are worse because of the fact they can demote or even fire a Sim. While a demotion is an inconvenience, getting fired can be frustrating because it's a pain to get the Job back. It's made worse when The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories have Career Rewards that you unlock so getting fired from a Chance Card can be a pain if trying to get the Career Rewards or if you're trying to complete the Lifetime Want involving the career. Better hoped you saved before you went to work!

What's worse is that the Pleasant family in TS2 has an impossible Chance Card that always appears when Mary-Sue Pleasant goes to work. Both options are coded to fail resulting her getting fired or demoted if you choose either option but it does have an ignore option. I think EA/Maxis probably intended Mary-Sue to catch Daniel cheating since getting fired or demoted from a Chance Card forced the Sim to go home. Players who've seen Mary-Sue's chance card might assume the other Chance Cards have negative effects especially if your first Chance Card caused a negative effect.

At least The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories allowed you to ignore them. The Sims 2 FreeTime and The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection do alleviate the "getting fired from Chance Cards" with the Plead for Job reward (exclusive to FreeTime) that allows you to plead to get your Job back which could help.

The Sims 3 had some options through a dialog as well as some events through the notification which you had no control. I don't there's anything in TS3 that can automatically fire you except for one career in the game. When the Political career, you are sometimes asked if you want to take the money and it's said that if you accept, you can get fired. I always decline when the game asks me so I haven't gotten fired.

They have even returned in TS4 to :trollface: your Sims by having some options reduce your career performance (Small or Medium Performance loss) and you can't ignore them. It doesn't help that EA nerfed the performance and promotions in TS4, the Chance Cards in TS4 even make it worse as some options result in performance loss which could undo the performance you gained. In TS4, I always save the game when a Sim goes to work in case a Chance Card decides to appear and reduce my performance.

See? ^^^^ THIS is what I'm talking about. The fact that some cards in TS2 ARE guaranteed for failure no matter which option you choose, and I've gotten them. Not often, but I've gotten them.

And in my current family, both working Sims have been fired a couple of times now, lol (all last night). I think I was just too tired to pick the right choice in those cases, although my male Sim was in the medical career track, and I seem to recall I've gotten tripped up by that particular card before by choosing the same option and getting him fired. I have no idea if picking the other choice would result in the same (getting fired) seeing as I can never seem to get them back into the medical career track. So, now he's in the science career. We'll see if he does better there. My female working Sim got fired too, but thankfully her job was back in the paper that same day, so I just had her take that job again, and since then she's been promoted twice already.

This is just a case of a programmed 1% chance that either answer will give a failure. If you hit ignore and she gets the same chance card the next day, one will be success and one will be failure.

EA programmed some scenarios for the initial 3 neighborhoods. The demotion/fire is part of the scenario that EA cooked up. It's not typical behavior and none of were talking about the special instances when we said there were none that are always coded as failures. We were discussing what happens 99.9% of the time you get a chance card. The Pleasants' scenario is that 0.1%.

But seriously, use the link that Rflong posted. And look at what the options are. And hit ignore if the failure punishments are too severe for what you want for them.
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    There is this- http://www.snootysims.com/thesims2index.php?id=careercards01
    I've used it for years to choose the least bad option. :)

This is awesome. Tyvm.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    I always choose a choice and just ignore that "Ignore" button. Well, it may take money, job or skill points, but I don't know, why do I take this as a quick way for promotion when I know, that bad things can happen.
    But yes, I had many good oucomes with promotions, skill points and even 50,000 Simoleons, but I had bad outcomes, too.
  • WvethWveth Posts: 1 New Member
    > @SataiDelennn said:

> Wanna bet? I got a chance card for my Sim and chose one answer: Wrong. She got demoted. She got a promotion shortly after. A little time goes by. Same chance card came up. I remembered what I picked the first time, so I picked the other one since prior to that I made the same assumption as you, and fully expected a happy resolution. Nope. It was wrong and she got demoted again. Shortly after she got promoted again. Time goes by and the same card came up a THIRD time. I hit "ignore." The next day she was promoted to her next pay grade and assignment.
    >
    > So yes, there are cards where no matter which answer you choose, yes, it is wrong. Oh, and the chance card in question was in the culinary career track, and the choices were putting her name and money into a finance chance for a bunch of restaurants across the country in airports, or in amusement parks across the country, and both choices resulted in her losing the money she invested, losing logic points, and getting demoted because her boss decided she was an plum for investing in the business(es).

I think you're missing what people are saying. Basically, there are no chance cards where both answers will always be wrong. The chance card that you got would have a correct answer the first time, but that correct answer might have changed the next time you saw it. Both times you saw that card, it was probably possible to get a good outcome by clicking on the other option. Whichever answer you pick has a certain probability of being right and generating the good outcome. There are no specific cards where no answer will ever be right.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I love the chance cards. They keep the game interesting. I had one where Don had to pay 50k simoleons and it knocked his funds to zero. The maid was cleaning when it happened and there was no money to pay the maid. He stole something for payment..lol

My Sims have been demoted so many times and even fired from chance cards.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    It helps a lot to use some of your aspiration reward points to select the 'business instinct'. That gives you an 80% chance of being right no matter which option you pick. As has been said above, save game when sim goes off to work.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    They make me nervous each time I click on them. :)
    Same here. It usually takes a bad outcome to remind me to get that ability.
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    I didn’t realize there could be really bad outcomes. I’ve gotten lucky with my few choices. The last one, the guy got a logic point and a promotion!
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I like the chance cards as brutal as they can be! At least there is a consequence one way or another.
  • WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
    Even if you pick the "right" choice, there's still a chance of failure. That's why I save the game every time I send my Sims to work. I like the chance cards in general, because even as wacky as they can be, they can help me imagine what my Sim is doing at work.
    I'm a kind of "let the cards lay where they fall" kind of player (no pun intended). If a Sim dies unexpectedly, I don't reload a saved game. This includes the first and only time I had a sim child die from a satellite (THAT was a shocker). I suppose if I was getting constant bad chance cards, I would be tempted.
    Wow. I've never had a Sim die from a satellite (or electrocution, despite many attempts!).
    It was a shocker for sure. I was WAY tempted to reload but forced myself to not. I was paid back with a ton of things I had never seen in the game, namely the grandmother going insane and getting a special visit by a special person (trying not to spoil in case you haven't seen it). I think playing through the bad cards/luck is more interesting.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    It was a shocker for sure. I was WAY tempted to reload but forced myself to not. I was paid back with a ton of things I had never seen in the game, namely the grandmother going insane and getting a special visit by a special person (trying not to spoil in case you haven't seen it). I think playing through the bad cards/luck is more interesting.

Agreed I never reload. I just take what comes. It is a lot more fun that way. I remember once in 3 the only child of my sims was crushed by a meteor on the porch. After the father finished freaking out FIRE!/crying at the loss of his son/freaking out...and so on, I had to hurry them to have another child. :D They were ready to age soon!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    I love the chance cards, even though my Sim who was a lawyer got fired. >.<
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    I didn’t realize there could be really bad outcomes. I’ve gotten lucky with my few choices. The last one, the guy got a logic point and a promotion!

Oh how this comment has come back to bite me bad - TWICE. Both times, my Sim lost ALL of the family money. In the case of the doctor, that was around 28k. So two families are flat broke. And no, I didn't reload.

But one funny thing is that when the doctor went to work that day with 28k in the bank, the maid came. The financial ruin came while the maid was working. At the end of her shift, she was angry that there was no money to pay her. She decided to take something for compensation and pulled out a bag and took a painting off the wall. *laughs* But that got me thinking: we could sell some things to create some immediate cash flow! It was a prefab house and had a bunch of art around that I hadn't really looked at. So I pulled up the walls that are usually cut away and started selling. Apparently there was something expensive in that stuff because it sold for around 5k. At least we can pay the maid tomorrow and my sim can keep making flower arrangements (her daughter will setup a flower shop when she gets home from college).

Oh how this comment has come back to bite me bad - TWICE. Both times, my Sim lost ALL of the family money. In the case of the doctor, that was around 28k. So two families are flat broke. And no, I didn't reload.

But one funny thing is that when the doctor went to work that day with 28k in the bank, the maid came. The financial ruin came while the maid was working. At the end of her shift, she was angry that there was no money to pay her. She decided to take something for compensation and pulled out a bag and took a painting off the wall. *laughs* But that got me thinking: we could sell some things to create some immediate cash flow! It was a prefab house and had a bunch of art around that I hadn't really looked at. So I pulled up the walls that are usually cut away and started selling. Apparently there was something expensive in that stuff because it sold for around 5k. At least we can pay the maid tomorrow and my sim can keep making flower arrangements (her daughter will setup a flower shop when she gets home from college).

LMAO :joy: It always comes back to bite you. I have had that exact same thing happen. Maid was mad and took my tv. I was like Noooooooooo! My simmies needed that for fun! :D
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    LMAO :joy: It always comes back to bite you. I have had that exact same thing happen. Maid was mad and took my tv. I was like Noooooooooo! My simmies needed that for fun! :D

I had never seen that happen before so it was totally worth it. Made me laugh outloud.

• Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member

Lol, my sims almost never have a TV, I like them to do other things for fun, like gardening and playing games. :)
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
    You guys do know about the aspiration rewards, right? As in the one that gives you an 80% chance of getting a chance card right. That bugger is the first one I head for once I have at least 2 points, which is pretty quick.
    edited December 2017

Lol, my sims almost never have a TV, I like them to do other things for fun, like gardening and playing games. :)

Ya I usually base their fun objects on their personality. In that household the TV was getting a work out! :D

You guys do know about the aspiration rewards, right? As in the one that gives you an 80% chance of getting a chance card right. That bugger is the first one I head for once I have at least 2 points, which is pretty quick.

Ya I always get that eventually. For some reason I am never in a rush to though. :joy: I think I like the oddball chances of chance cards.

I use the TV as a crutch. Nothing seems to increase Fun faster or more reliably. I think TS2 needs some better toys.