Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 Chance Cards are No Joke

meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
So I'm playing a single sim and decided to see how far I can get in his career (in his lifetime) without ignoring chance cards. This is difficult. It seems there isn't a right or wrong answer with these things and the consequences of getting it wrong are intense. He's been fired 4 different times. Not even demoted. But fired. I haven't gotten a single one right.

So far he's been in the Law Career (twice), Culinary Career and Architect Career. I put him back in the Architect Career because I busted by tail getting his skills up. He was at level 7 now he's a messily Foreman again (Level 1) 5 days from elder. :|

Whew, didn't realize how difficult this sequel was. And yet people complain about the Sims 3 & 4 career difficultly scale. :|

Comments

• Options
    SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited April 2016
    I sympathize. I've made a few wrong choices, and got my Sim demoted a few times, but thankfully not fired, and she got her previous raise back the next day. BUT, there was one chance card I got like yours where it didn't matter which choice I made, they were both wrong, so I had no choice, and the next time it came up, I clicked the ignore button. When she came home from work, she got promoted. So, sometimes you do need to click the ignore button.

Really good luck the next time one comes up!
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Have you spent your lifetime points? You can get perks that help you with that.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Have you spent your lifetime points? You can get perks that help you with that.

What are "lifetime points?"

• Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @meeoun

I suffered the same fate a couple of times and am sad to say I click the ignore button more often than not now lol I did read somewhere that they can still go back to the same job a few days later if they get fired and they will still be employed at the previous position they were at when they were fired, however I have not tested this out so am still unsure if its true or not.

@SataiDelennn

I wasn't sure what Lifetime rewards had to do with anything because in all honesty I am still not sure what everything does or means but after a little search on the internet

Lifetime Benefits

As you fill up the meter, you can gain special benefits. This section details every benefit you can receive. To access the benefits, open the aspiration rewards menu. You'll notice that toddlers and children can access rewards as well as up to eight benefits. When they choose an aspiration they access five more and when they choose a secondary aspiration they can access the last three. Let’s go through the first track.

There are four work benefits. When you choose one benefit, you have access to another until you go through all four, the benefits are as follows.

Life of Luxury. Your sim will gain vacation days faster. Normally it takes seven work days to gain a vacation day. With this benefit it only takes five, allowing you to gain vacation days faster.

Business Instinct. Whenever, your sim gets a chance card, there's an eighty percent chance they will be right, no matter the option you choose.

Friends in High Places. Your sim requires a certain amount of friends to get a promotion, with this benefit, the requirement is reduced by one.

Plead for Job. Whenever your sim is fired, they will be able to plead for their job. This interaction appears on the phone. If accepted, it will give your sim’s job back. The chance of acceptance depends on the level and is as follows.

and so much more to read about it on the following link:

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/The_Sims_2:_FreeTime/Lifetime_Aspiration
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    So I'm playing a single sim and decided to see how far I can get in his career (in his lifetime) without ignoring chance cards. This is difficult. It seems there isn't a right or wrong answer with these things and the consequences of getting it wrong are intense. He's been fired 4 different times. Not even demoted. But fired. I haven't gotten a single one right.

So far he's been in the Law Career (twice), Culinary Career and Architect Career. I put him back in the Architect Career because I busted by tail getting his skills up. He was at level 7 now he's a messily Foreman again (Level 1) 5 days from elder. :|

Whew, didn't realize how difficult this sequel was. And yet people complain about the Sims 3 & 4 career difficultly scale. :|

They are just chance cards and if you did not want them to effect your sims progress, just ignore them. I liked the opportunity to "take a risk" with them. Just like in RL,, sometimes you take a chance and things may or may not work out. :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    You right there is no right or wrong answer. It truly is a game of chance. You can ignore them if you feel like they are getting in the way of your progress. I have been demoted, fired, lost family funds to replace "something" my sim broke :D I like the not knowing and going with the flow.
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922

Oh, OK, thank you. I know what the aspiration rewards are, I just didn't know what "lifetime" points were, lol.

But yeah, the ability to plead for your job if you're fired is something I didn't know. Very interesting. I always just gave them a few days off, and then had them look in the paper for a new job. Thankfully, though Joan's been demoted several times (but always got promoted again fairly quickly), she hasn't been fired. Both she and Byron managed to get up the corporate ladder of their careers pretty quickly, and now, they've been able to stay there. But getting them their next and likely final promotion has been really difficult. That's mostly because they need a lot of friends, and they lost a bunch for a while when I had them focusing on the then babies and now toddlers, lol.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    @SPARKY1922

Oh, OK, thank you. I know what the aspiration rewards are, I just didn't know what "lifetime" points were, lol.

But yeah, the ability to plead for your job if you're fired is something I didn't know. Very interesting. I always just gave them a few days off, and then had them look in the paper for a new job. Thankfully, though Joan's been demoted several times (but always got promoted again fairly quickly), she hasn't been fired. Both she and Byron managed to get up the corporate ladder of their careers pretty quickly, and now, they've been able to stay there. But getting them their next and likely final promotion has been really difficult. That's mostly because they need a lot of friends, and they lost a bunch for a while when I had them focusing on the then babies and now toddlers, lol.

Really nobody knew about those? It's like the first thing you have to do when you create your sims, spending the points to get the benefits :p Guess I'm the only one who ever played Freetime :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    @Sigzy05

lol I realize its one of the first things we do in sims 2 but its not something I have taken too much notice off in the beginnings when trying to learn about playing sims 2 :)
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    @SPARKY1922

Really nobody knew about those? It's like the first thing you have to do when you create your sims, spending the points to get the benefits :p Guess I'm the only one who ever played Freetime :p

SataiDelenn plays with only the base game. The lifetime points and the benefits came with FreeTime.

They do have the chance card choices and chances of a good outcome or a bad one on various websites. The Sims Wiki has the ones through Seasons. The FreeTime careers are the ones that have not had anyone really publish those.
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I read in my prima guide waaaaay back that chance cards are done somewhat random.. like 60-70 percent of the time one answer (the more obviously right one..) will get you a reward while the other gets a penalty. Such is how you can pick the right answer for the same chance card one time, and do it again and get penalized.. there are no chance cards that results in both answers being wrong.
  • Options
    I read in my prima guide waaaaay back that chance cards are done somewhat random.. like 60-70 percent of the time one answer (the more obviously right one..) will get you a reward while the other gets a penalty. Such is how you can pick the right answer for the same chance card one time, and do it again and get penalized.. there are no chance cards that results in both answers being wrong.

Wanna bet? I got a chance card for my Sim and chose one answer: Wrong. She got demoted. She got a promotion shortly after. A little time goes by. Same chance card came up. I remembered what I picked the first time, so I picked the other one since prior to that I made the same assumption as you, and fully expected a happy resolution. Nope. It was wrong and she got demoted again. Shortly after she got promoted again. Time goes by and the same card came up a THIRD time. I hit "ignore." The next day she was promoted to her next pay grade and assignment.

So yes, there are cards where no matter which answer you choose, yes, it is wrong. Oh, and the chance card in question was in the culinary career track, and the choices were putting her name and money into a finance chance for a bunch of restaurants across the country in airports, or in amusement parks across the country, and both choices resulted in her losing the money she invested, losing logic points, and getting demoted because her boss decided she was an idiot for investing in the business(es).

• Options
    @SataiDelennn

when I first started playing 2 I was used to stuff like that not really mattering in 3 so i ticked whatever answer I thought it would be and bam I am wondering why my sim is home in tears only to find he had been fired. At that time I knew very little about the possibility of being able to get the same job back with the same status and I was angry with myself for not realizing what might happen as I had spent a lot of time building up this sims career. I have chanced it a few times since but I always get the negative circumstance so the ignore button has become my favorite :)
  • Options
    KayleiMarieKayleiMarie Posts: 68 Member
    @SPARKY1922

Ditto, I have absolutely no idea how my sims survived before freetime :D
    Origin: KayleiMarie
    Twitter: @kayleimarie
    I'm pretty much just KayleiMarie
  • Options

Wanna bet? I got a chance card for my Sim and chose one answer: Wrong. She got demoted. She got a promotion shortly after. A little time goes by. Same chance card came up. I remembered what I picked the first time, so I picked the other one since prior to that I made the same assumption as you, and fully expected a happy resolution. Nope. It was wrong and she got demoted again. Shortly after she got promoted again. Time goes by and the same card came up a THIRD time. I hit "ignore." The next day she was promoted to her next pay grade and assignment.

So yes, there are cards where no matter which answer you choose, yes, it is wrong. Oh, and the chance card in question was in the culinary career track, and the choices were putting her name and money into a finance chance for a bunch of restaurants across the country in airports, or in amusement parks across the country, and both choices resulted in her losing the money she invested, losing logic points, and getting demoted because her boss decided she was an idiot for investing in the business(es).

The correct answer is randomized. However there is a 1% chance that you'll fail the chance card no matter what you choose. So out of every 100 chance cards you get, on average only 1 will fail no matter which option you pick.

Here's an example from a base game career's level 1 chance card (there's 1 for every level).

Athletic Level 1

The SimCity Quarks are looking for a new mascot. Will you be the next Limpy or will you steal the limelight with your own mascot?

Choice 1: Become Limpy
    -- Success 85% of the time you'll get +1 Body/+1 Creativity.
    -- Failure 14% of the time you'll lose $150.

Choice 2: Steal the limelight
    -- Success 14% of the time you'll gain 2 Charisma
    -- Failure 85% of the time you'll be fired

In this instance the best choice is always Choice 1. You can't be fired if you land on Failure, not to mention, 85 times out of 100 that you get this chance card, this is the one that will give you a Success.

There are a handful of chance cards where the %'s are 50/49, but a vast majority are 85/14.
  • Options
    Seera1024 wrote: »

The correct answer is randomized. However there is a 1% chance that you'll fail the chance card no matter what you choose. So out of every 100 chance cards you get, on average only 1 will fail no matter which option you pick.

Here's an example from a base game career's level 1 chance card (there's 1 for every level).

Athletic Level 1

The SimCity Quarks are looking for a new mascot. Will you be the next Limpy or will you steal the limelight with your own mascot?

In this instance the best choice is always Choice 1. You can't be fired if you land on Failure, not to mention, 85 times out of 100 that you get this chance card, this is the one that will give you a Success.

There are a handful of chance cards where the %'s are 50/49, but a vast majority are 85/14.

Yes, my point in saying what I did though, was in response to the person who said that "there are no chance cards that results in both answers being wrong." Their statement was wrong, and I was just saying so. There IS a possibility that you'll get a card where both answers are wrong. Whether it's a 1% chance or a 50% chance that you'll get a card with both answers being wrong, the fact still remains that there are cards out there where both answers are going to be wrong.
  • Options

Athletic Level 1

Yes, my point in saying what I did though, was in response to the person who said that "there are no chance cards that results in both answers being wrong." Their statement was wrong, and I was just saying so. There IS a possibility that you'll get a card where both answers are wrong. Whether it's a 1% chance or a 50% chance that you'll get a card with both answers being wrong, the fact still remains that there are cards out there where both answers are going to be wrong.

That will only happen 1% of the time. 99% of the time, there is a right answer. So look to the Sims wiki or a similar site that still has Sims 2 information up to get which choice will give you the highest success chance - the one with 85% or 50% (and which chance cards will give you fired as an option if you fail so you can make the best choice on which of the 3 options to pick).

There is no card where 100% of the time both answers will be wrong.
  • Options
    There is no card where 100% of the time both answers will be wrong.

I never said there was. Once again, I was responding to the person who said there is NEVER a chance card where both answers are wrong...

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I didn't know there was a 1% chance of both being wrong, but however your example was saying that you chose the different answer for the same chance card and still got a negative outcome, this didn't mean necessarily that both were wrong but that it was randomized differently that time in which case you got another failure.
  • Options
    I've been playing TS2 for over ten years, I still learn little new things all the time, but overall I know what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    at least in sims 2 you have the option to ignore them - in sims 3 and 4 no such luck, although they don't come around as often.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    With Sims2 chance cards, if it is quite clear of what the "right thing to do" is listed - I would choose it. :)
    At low levels of a career, if your Sim has the necessary skills and friends to qualify for promotion - I would ignore it.
    In my opinion, chance cards tend to appear when a Sim has achieved something - maxed a skill, proposed, had a baby, dream date etc.
    I tend to save my game more frequently as a family gain high level skills (or even maxed them out), because when they go to work, there is a strong possibility of a chance card and promotion or a big bonus could occur. If you use choose incorrectly, you can always exit to the neighbourhood without saving and although, the Sims2 is never the same game, the same chance card may appear again within a few days.
  • Options
    SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    Since it is random as to what the correct answer is, I take the chance if I'm in the mood to possible need to do damage control, otherwise I hit ignore. B)
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited April 2016
    I do remember the Chance Cards. The Chance Card in The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories are worse because of the fact they can demote or even fire a Sim. While a demotion is an inconvenience, getting fired can be frustrating because it's a pain to get the Job back. It's made worse when The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories have Career Rewards that you unlock so getting fired from a Chance Card can be a pain if trying to get the Career Rewards or if you're trying to complete the Lifetime Want involving the career. Better hoped you saved before you went to work!

What's worse is that the Pleasant family in TS2 has an impossible Chance Card that always appears when Mary-Sue Pleasant goes to work. Both options are coded to fail resulting her getting fired or demoted if you choose either option but it does have an ignore option. I think EA/Maxis probably intended Mary-Sue to catch Daniel cheating since getting fired or demoted from a Chance Card forced the Sim to go home. Players who've seen Mary-Sue's chance card might assume the other Chance Cards have negative effects especially if your first Chance Card caused a negative effect.

At least The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories allowed you to ignore them. The Sims 2 FreeTime and The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection do alleviate the "getting fired from Chance Cards" with the Plead for Job reward (exclusive to FreeTime) that allows you to plead to get your Job back which could help.

The Sims 3 had some options through a dialog as well as some events through the notification which you had no control. I don't there's anything in TS3 that can automatically fire you except for one career in the game. When the Political career, you are sometimes asked if you want to take the money and it's said that if you accept, you can get fired. I always decline when the game asks me so I haven't gotten fired.

They have even returned in TS4 to :trollface: your Sims by having some options reduce your career performance (Small or Medium Performance loss) and you can't ignore them. It doesn't help that EA nerfed the performance and promotions in TS4, the Chance Cards in TS4 even make it worse as some options result in performance loss which could undo the performance you gained. In TS4, I always save the game when a Sim goes to work in case a Chance Card decides to appear and reduce my performance.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    There is this- http://www.snootysims.com/thesims2index.php?id=careercards01
    I've used it for years to choose the least bad option. :)