Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

African Hair in Sims 4

The Sims 4 needs to have more African Hairstyles. I can only remember one Hairstyle for black women. The rest are white people hairstyles. Please make for Ethnic hairstyles, because black people play, too! (white people who play might want to make black characters, too) I feel a little offended that it's just white white white hair. That's all I see. Even when there is black hair, it's ALWAYS in braids or an afro. Please make a bigger effort to make better African hair. There has to be at least one black women who helps in the creation of sims.

Comments

• sophtasticsophtastic Posts: 610 Member
    I think you make good points here :blush:

However, I also think they have them since they are typical black women hairstyles. I have a friend who always wears her hair in those space buns, and another that has braids - it's really up to which hairstyles you use. White women can have braids. Black women can have straight hair. While I think they should add more textured hair, I don't think you can call a certain hair black without being slightly stereotypical o:)
    toddddddllleeeeerrrrrrrssss
    tumblr_n0qwctD0MN1sb146lo1_400.gif
  • Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I always download cc for better hairstyles anyway
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    edited April 2016
    I agree. I'd settle for more curly hair as well, when my hair isn't straightened its more like tight curls, but there's nothing like that in-game. I have loads of CC hair, but more types of hair than just plain and straight would be nice.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, it's a pain, but I think they have been improving compared to the previous games. ;)
    Do you use CC? Luckily there's a lot of great creators to pick up the slack. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/821512/beautiful-african-american-hair
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes to that and real curly hair. I would love to have more diverse looking hair and a better variety of colors and ombre swatches. I miss color wheel.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Lupus95Lupus95 Posts: 72 Member
    I feel like people really WANT to be offended these days. There are some hairstyles in TS4 that are more typical for african people, however I do not recall that african people (or black people in general) are never having short hair, or that they never straighten their hair or have them hanging over their shoulder. We definitly need more hairstyle options in order to create a diverse cast of sims, but please don't start this "I'm sooo offended" "only WHITE PEOPLE HAIRSTYLES!" drama.
  • HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    Lupus95 wrote: »
    I feel like people really WANT to be offended these days. There are some hairstyles in TS4 that are more typical for african people, however I do not recall that african people (or black people in general) are never having short hair, or that they never straighten their hair or have them hanging over their shoulder. We definitly need more hairstyle options in order to create a diverse cast of sims, but please don't start this "I'm sooo offended" "only WHITE PEOPLE HAIRSTYLES!" drama.

It's kinda of an unfortunate reality of games, though. It's rare to actually see textured hair, or tight curls in games. In part is because these hairstyles are harder to make, but it's also because the lack of representation for diversity is something that really happens in videogames.

I actually think TS4 is the game that adds the most textured and "african" hairstyles, in comparison to the older games.
    Still, a little more diversity is always welcomed.

If I was a black person, or used these kinds of hairstyles, I'd be annoyed too.

(well, when my hair was long it was actually curly, and even curlies are hard to find in games. Having to rely on CC for a simple kind of hair is annoying)
  • shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    A series of stuff packs based off of different pockets of the real world would help this out a lot.
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Bookwormy wrote: »
    The Sims 4 needs to have more African Hairstyles. I can only remember one Hairstyle for black women. The rest are white people hairstyles. Please make for Ethnic hairstyles, because black people play, too! (white people who play might want to make black characters, too) I feel a little offended that it's just white white white hair. That's all I see. Even when there is black hair, it's ALWAYS in braids or an afro. Please make a bigger effort to make better African hair. There has to be at least one black women who helps in the creation of sims.

As a black woman, I'm kind of offended by this post. I understand your meaning, to some degree, but hair styles are just that- styles. Anyone can wear an afro (Yes, white people wear them too), and braids (also a style white people wear). I wear my hair back in a ponytail. Its also natural, straight, and moves; is my hair white? Black Americans have all types of hair, as do Caucasians, Asians, Europeans, Africans, etc...
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • jsnjsn Posts: 624 Member
    edited April 2016

You would probably feel pretty annoyed too if you weren't able to create sims that looked similar to you because there were only like 2 options for your hair texture. A lot of black women that have longer straight hair are actually using wigs/weaves and are covering up their natural hair (not all but a lot). For someone who goes natural, there's not many options vs like a hundrend straight hair options :v
    tumblr_ntxblj8QDK1s6z4zdo2_250.gif
  • Lupus95Lupus95 Posts: 72 Member
    jsn wrote: »
    You would probably feel pretty annoyed too if you weren't able to create sims that looked similar to you because there were only like 2 options for your hair texture. A lot of black women that have longer straight hair are actually using wigs/weaves and are covering up their natural hair (not all but a lot). For someone who goes natural, there's not many options vs like a hundrend straight hair options :v
    Guess what, there is NO option to create any male sim that has a similar hair texture like I do ... Because, guess what, not every white caucasian person has straight hair. Oh my, what a shame, but still I'm not offended.
    Like I said, more and diverse hair options are good for various reasons, but instantly bashing an "it's offensive because bla bla bla" label on every issue is just over the top and takes the attention away from IMPORTANT issues people should be offended about.
    It's not like they exclude the option of making sims with different skin colors or making it almost impossible to create african-looking faces or something like that. THIS would be extremely uncool, but the fact that there are not enough hair options is a general "problem" of the game, and you don't have to make a bigger deal out of it than it is,

• Alexis402Alexis402 Posts: 238 Member
    edited April 2016
    Guess what, there is NO option to create any male sim that has a similar hair texture like I do ... Because, guess what, not every white caucasian person has straight hair. Oh my, what a shame, but still I'm not offended.
    Like I said, more and diverse hair options are good for various reasons, but instantly bashing an "it's offensive because bla bla bla" label on every issue is just over the top and takes the attention away from IMPORTANT issues people should be offended about.
    It's not like they exclude the option of making sims with different skin colors or making it almost impossible to create african-looking faces or something like that. THIS would be extremely uncool, but the fact that there are not enough hair options is a general "problem" of the game, and you don't have to make a bigger deal out of it than it is,

You can't tell someone else what they should be offended by. If the OP feels offended then they have every right to say "this offends me." No one said the game was racist, they just said they didn't like there was a lot black hairstyles. There is no need to attack their opinions.
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    True, hair styles in general are lacking. Still waiting for some long hair for guys :/
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Bookwormy wrote: »

Hit the "like" button, in the name of diversity and friendship.

I'm afraid I don't know how to create mods, but if I see any about I'll give them a mention; I'm white and I make black, mixed race, asian etc sims, and I too would like more non-white suitable hair options.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
    edited April 2016
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    True, hair styles in general are lacking. Still waiting for some long hair for guys :/

I'm waiting for this too.
    maybe hair like this perhaps?
    [img][/img]untitled.jpg
    BabySquare wrote: »

I'm waiting for this too.
    maybe hair like this perhaps?untitled.jpg
    That would be cool.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    what's actually cooler is the way it swishes around when he's on stage.

as demonstrated here:
    [img][/img]Herman_Li_by_john8859.jpg

as demonstrated here:
    Herman_Li_by_john8859.jpg
    Yeah I wonder if it is a clipping and weight thing why hairs have to remain shorter? I know SimGuruMeatball had to look at a fix for one of the GT hairs and fix the weight on it.
    maybe it's a secret plot to render all sims light-headed :D
  • ScripticJusticeScripticJustice Posts: 405 Member
    sophtastic wrote: »
    I think you make good points here :blush:

However, I also think they have them since they are typical black women hairstyles. I have a friend who always wears her hair in those space buns, and another that has braids - it's really up to which hairstyles you use. White women can have braids. Black women can have straight hair. While I think they should add more textured hair, I don't think you can call a certain hair black without being slightly stereotypical o:)

I hear and understand what you're saying, and I usually don't comment on threads such as these but as someone who is African American and who has been on an ongoing path to accept my hair for what it is, I feel the OP's claim is valid. Your last sentence, "I dont think you can call a certain hair black without being slightly stereotypical." I don't agree with this. There are certain hairstyles, that people of African American descent, and of any race for that matter, have developed and that are woven into the actual culture, braids and afros being just a small example. There are even sections in stores dedicated solely to African American hair and products for our hair because in all reality, it's not the same. Right now, if I were to try to make a simself of my natural hair, it would be nearly impossible. And as someone who, everyday feels pressured to perm and straighten my hair so it looks like everybody elses (hairstyles which, might I add, take up the majority in CAS) its slightly frustrating. I feel that's what OP is talking about. I don't have long flowy hair, it's wavy and it's kinky, and while I understand that it's a hard texture to create and to get right, and completely understand how long it takes to create such things, I think the OP has valid claims, and that anyone claiming that people just like to get offended, should try to look at it from their point of view, and if they still disagree, continue to talk about it in a civil manner, which I see being done in this thread and is a nice change.
    (Sorry for any mistakes or spelling errors I'm on my phone)

tumblr_m4jumxorJY1qktlzuo1_500.gif
  • VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    So which do you want, black amero/euro hairstyles or actual african hairstyles?
    Because they aren't the same.
    If you're talking about black americans, they are american and not african.
    If you're talking about black europeans, they are european and not african.
    Africa is a continent with many different looking and cultured people, not a skin tone or a hair texture.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited February 2017
    I feel their getting better with black people hair all we had was an afro at first until Get together came out with braids I mean from the movie pack we gotten more braids and dreads, even the little sims girl had that half braided in the front and not in the back. Will probably see a lot more. Hopefully
    Post edited by Briana2425 on
  • ToastyChanToastyChan Posts: 153 Member
    I'd like some braids,locs,twists for men, too. (Maybe in a bun?)
    Feels like male sims have even less ethnic hairstyles than females.

Oh and big curls haha.
    "I've always loved the M35-Mako. It's got a heart, you know?" - James Vega

Simblr: witchybot.tumblr.com
    EA ID: KaKaPeuPeu
  • brinadaniellebrinadanielle Posts: 96 Member
    Yessss...Especially for black history month, which is occuring now. Could we get a twist-out look, An adult fro hawk...just some naturally curly hair for blacks and latinos...could we get some hair representation for every culture...maybe a "culture pack...meltingpot pack...international pack" idk....something where all simmers can see themselves in their sims.