Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expensive Starter Homes

Something I've been curious about for a while, expensive starter homes in the gallery. There are a lot of very beautiful houses in the gallery tagged as starter homes, many costing over §100,000. How are these starter homes? In the game a true starter home would be under §20,000 for a single sim and under §26,000 for a family of 4.

I know a lot of people motherlode their way into houses (I have), but why call it that if it can't be used as a starter home in the game?

In real life §100,000 is a good price, but sims don't live in the real world.

Comments

• Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I have left comments on these when I see them. Making a small (or large) house lavisly is fine. But it's not a starter.
  • tuityfruity12ajtuityfruity12aj Posts: 1,508 Member
    That never made sense to me either and was always frustrating when trying to sift through homes. So I search for homes by price range now and that works a lot better
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Ikr, what's the point
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • CaronteCaronte Posts: 44 Member
    They do it to have more exposure so people download those houses, even if they're not what they were looking for. Getting downloads in the gallery is serious business apparently.
  • Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    edited April 2016
    I've been guilty of this once or twice.. I tagged a few small houses as starters before I even thought about the price issue. Even though they weren't too far over the 20,000 mark, like I think one was 35,000, I should probably remove them and reupload them without the tag, but I don't want to posse the downloads already in them =P I guess that's just me being ridiculous though. I kind of wish we could change the hashtags after they've been uploaded.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    It's the size that counts... or so I heard. :)

I think some don't know what a Start house really is.
    I originally thought a starter home was just big enough for a single sim to live in, and just enough of the basics to fill their core needs. It wasn't until I contributed a stater home building challenge that had a 20,000 limit that I realized that the term "starter" could be used to refer to homes a new household could afford without the use of cheats...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Yeah usually starter houses can either be cheap or just a small one bedroom house. Personally I love starter homes but it gets annoying since half of them are just too expensive.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Back when the popular hashtags weren't all the EP, GP, SP names, people would actually just blindly copy all those in the hopes of getting more downloads :/ I find the best way to get more downloads, Maxis favs aside, is to showcase on the forums (and social media).
    Personally, the most expensive starter I ever uploaded was 24K, so that's within family budget. Maybe one other before I figured out what hashtagging was good for.
    Proper hastagging is a bit of an issue on the Gallery, some people use anything and everything to get more attention. On the other hand, many great creations are missed because they don't have hashtags at all.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    I have no idea. XD I have been guilty of posting starter homes that are less than $20 000 but I forgot to take into account that the sim has to buy the lot as well, so my starter home always end up being like $22 000. D: Oops.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I'd consider them starter homes. Have you seen real estate prices in Southern California? :o
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
    I only just recently started to hashtag my uploads. I used to think it wouldn't make much of a difference, but I really think it has. My lots seem to get a lot more downloads now than before...
    I am honest though, I only use hashtags that apply to the build, I never use one just because its popular...
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited April 2016
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    I'd consider them starter homes. Have you seen real estate prices in Southern California? :o

I know you meant this as a joke, but sim world isn't real word. It's like saying all your S4 sims are babies because the oldest is only 18 months old (in real time) ;) .

Jesf8312 wrote: »
    I've been guilty of this once or twice.. like I think one was 35,000,

I'd consider that a starter house, an industrious sim could move in after a couple weeks of saving simoleons. 100,000? Nope.

• aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited April 2016
    Ravager619 wrote: »

And in the UK.. but that's not a good comparison because house prices in the UK are well beyond 'starter home' level.. most people can't afford to buy property anymore. Excluding Australia, we have the most expensive real estate in the developed world.

Anyway, I always thought it was interesting that you have to buy homes straight away - if you're recently moving out, you're probably going to be renting and it'd certainly be cheaper to rent for the first few years until you can save up to buy somewhere. Definitely bring back renting.
    edited April 2016
    The Sims games have never duplicated real life. All the versions have provided a new household with a pocket full of cash (not realistic) and tiny beginner houses that the new household could move into (not realistic).

Sims2 and Sims3 eventually added apartments. Maybe someday Sims4 will offer that.
  • ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    I actually start with 500,000 for some reason.. I dont even use motherlode
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    Agreed, those shouldn't be labeled as starters. Unfortunately, people will tag their creations with all kinds of false things to show up in searches.
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I love to make starter homes. It is a real challenge to make something cute, not boxy, with everything a Sim just starting out might need, and stay under that 20K budget! A huge chunk of that money always goes to a good bed. I think the very most important thing a Sim needs during the first few weeks of a new game is a good bed.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited April 2016
    I love finding good starter homes -- yes, under 20,000 simoleons -- in the Gallery. It's amazing to see what creative builders can do. My pet peeve with homes in the Gallery has always been the dearth of mid-range homes. Builders, it seems, either want to do the tiny starter homes, or go all out and build mansions. Most of my sims are ordinary working people who'll never be able to afford a mansion. But after the kids come along, they need bigger homes. Adding on sometimes works, but it isn't always an option. I wish I could find more variety in 3 and 4 bedroom homes at a reasonable price -- one a typical sim family can afford.
  • ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    @NoWayJose527 why dont u filter the price ranges if u havent done so? U might be able to find some nice houses like that
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    @NoWayJose527 why dont u filter the price ranges if u havent done so? U might be able to find some nice houses like that

@ChloeDeCookie Yes, I do use the price filter. I just wish there were more homes in those mid-range prices.

• Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Good point. I try to keep my families in a mid size home because it is so much easier to keep them in sight. In Sims2 I had a family of six that had way too much money. So, I downloaded a huge estate and moved them in. I had autonomy turned up to high because it's funny watching the trouble they get into all on their own. Big mistake. The wife began flirting with the gardener, the husband played piano all day and night, the kids were hiding their homework all over that huge lot, the eldest teen son set fire to the kitchen while I was hunting down his homework and the teen daughter had her first kiss while I wasn't looking. I definitely prefer smaller abodes. And a tad less autonomy. ;)
    I actually start with 500,000 for some reason.. I dont even use motherlode

??? :o ???