Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Driftwood Drifter Challenge -- House 1 (Last Updated 3/27)

3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
I have decided to give the Drifter Challenge a go. The first house challenge at the very least is very much up my Start From Nothing and Work Your Way Up playstyle alley.

I don't have a blog so I figured I'd create a thread for it here. It's going to be shared commentary style so I hope that's okay for this section of the forum since almost everything I see here is more prose based stuff but that's just not a style that works for me sharing my gameplay. I will let the thread die and post elsewhere if people feel that doesn't fit in with this section of the forum.

Anyway the Drifter Challenge was created by @Vihisha and is a very intricate and drawn out challenge Made of Much Awesome and lots of mini-challenges. I won't bore anyone by putting all the rules but HERE is the link to the Main Post about the Challenge and HERE is a link to the post about the House 1 rules.

But in a nutshell I start the first challenge with 1 Sim and she is the only Sim I am allowed to control until the end of the first house challenge. I start with an empty world and no money and am not allowed to leave my neighborhood until I have enough money to do so. My goal is to survive, build a house with 2 Bedrooms and a Bathroom worth $30,000 and have an heir/heiress who must survive to Young Adulthood without me being able to control them. We're playing on normal and I'm not allowed to to use the youth potion. It's definitely going to be a challenge but a fun one...I hope.

2nc3nmx.jpg
My leading lady for this challenge is Annabella Driftwood.
Annabella is a Geeky, Loner who Loves the Outdoors.
She has The Curator aspiration since the beginning part of this challenge will involve heavy collection. I will probably eventually get her into writing books when we can afford a computer (she just feel like more of a writer than an artist). I could get her a job right away but I feel since travel is very much restricted otherwise in the game that there'd be no reliable way for her to get to and fro work. I might get her one later once she has a child and the bus service is up and running smoothly to the neighborhood it would feel believable that she could travel easily as well.
Since this challenge isn't heavily story based I haven't really given her much of a backstory but I do imagine her as being just out of college and having been approached to take part in a social experiment and readily agreeing even though they told her next to nothing about what she would be getting into. Driftwood is not her real last name it was what was given to her as her designation by the people running the experiment.

Table of Contents
~ ~ ~
Post edited by 3KNPen on

Comments

• Options
    Days One & Two: Getting Started (aka the Quest for Basic Necessities)

Annabella is dropped off on a tiny, dusty plot of land called Agave Abode on the edge of what clearly used to be a town if the guady neon signs in the distance are anything to go by. She has no money and no food. The only supplies she's been given is a Bag of Holding, a fishing pole and a chisel and hammer and a mysterious cellphone that will allow her to quickly sell stuff and buy a wide range of necessities and building supplies when she has enough money to do so. It doesn't however let her keep in contact with anyone in her life prior to arriving in the desert. It's a very strange piece of technology indeed.

51uk9w.jpg
    With nothing else to do Annabella heads to a nearby fishing spot to try her hand at fishing. She manages to catch a very fancy looking guppy before she decides that the fish are just to smart for her and gives up on it.

hwz713.jpg
    Strange rock formations and logs have suddenly appeared around the neighborhood but only in very specific locations so more then likely supplied by whoever is running this strange experiment. The logs hold strange frog species she's never heard of before. The rocks hold a variety of things, like crystals, fossils and strange brightly colored statues. Occasionally they have other things like painted Easter eggs and maps. Annabella wonders what else they might hold. There are also plants spread throughout the neighborhood and in a small community garden not that far from her plot of land. Nothing is ready to be harvested though but she'll need to keep an eye on them for later. Maybe she'll even start her own garden at some point.

ngv8ll.jpg
    After spending a fair bit of time collecting things Annabella managed to get enough money to buy a very cheap toilet. She couldn't bring herself to sell everything she got though. She's a geek at heart and loves to collect things. It's just too hard to part with everything she finds when some of them are just too cute.

2rw0ni9.jpg
    After spending some more time fishing Annabella is getting hungry. There are still not harvestable edible plants around so she's forced to spend some of her hard earned money to grill some fruit. Even though she has a feeling that it's going to mostly be a waste of money since it will go bad very quickly. Still she has no choice since she has to eat.

2rfgaxc.jpg
    After she's done eating some of the flowering plants are available to be harvested and she does so in hopes of getting enough money for a nice bed. She ended up having to sell one of the items that she'd chosen to keep earlier in order to do so. She regrets her decision to spend the money on the nicer bed even though it means a better night sleep. That money probably would have been spent better elsewhere.

xdyoeu.jpg
    Annabella wakes up the next morning a complete mess. She's dirty and smelly, hungry, bored and lonely. She desperately needs some things and so even though she'd rather just hide in the bed for a while longer she forces herself to head out to do some more collecting.

21kf98y.jpg
    Some of the edible plants have bloomed and she finds herself with a handful of raw onions which she forces herself to eat a few of them she can keep her wits about her to keep collecting.

2jfd7o0.jpg
    The perseverance pays off and Annabella manages to collect enough items to buy herself a shower. She can see more collectibles out around the neighborhood waiting to be collected but she takes the time to hop in the newly purchased shower before doing some more collecting because she knows it will make her feel better to be clean again.

6pwbjb.jpg
    After her shower she's hungry again so she eats the rest of the onions and the one tomato she'd harvested in the wild earlier to take the edge off of the hunger pangs.

2ly269g.jpg
    Despite the fact that she prefers spending most of her time alone Annabella is very much aware that she hasn't actually talked to anyone in over a day. She's been noticing the groups of strange people wandering around her neighborhood (there are no other houses around so they can't live anywhere nearby) and decides to approach one of them. His name is Dillion and he's a geek just like she is so there is much to talk about in regards to the last TV shows they'd both watched and which captain is the best. She happily makes herself a friend and wonders if she should invite him to move in with her to be a constant companion (and maybe more she had agreed to helping to bring forth a future generation for the experiment after all). Unfortunately he's older then she is which she's not sure is allowed under the experiment rules (she needs to check into that with the people who are running the experiment) he's also unemployed which isn't a big deal but extra income would have been nice. Unsure what to do she lets Dillion leave so she can get back to collecting things. Eventually she's going to get hungry again and she'd much rather eat a stale quick meal from a cooler than spend money on wasted food cooked on the grill.

rkr9d0.jpg
    By the end of the day she exceeded her expectations and made enough money to buy an actual full sized fridge! She also chose a counter to make it easier to prepare meals (the counter also came stocked with plates and bowls and other cooking supplies which was a nice added boost). She still doesn't have a stove but that's okay. She'd spent the day eating raw onions so eating an actual salad is definitely a step up. She's so confident in her abilities to continue to earn money through collecting that she also ends up buying herself a sink so that she can wash her dirty dishes and brush away the taste of onion from her breath.

The future looks decent. Still a long ways to go to complete the tasks she's been given but she's definitely feeling confident in her abilities to find success!
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    VihishaVihisha Posts: 2,767 Member
    This is wonderful that u will b sharing your Drifter Challenge adventures here...I can't wait 2 c everything that happens!! Good Luck Drifter!!
    3KNPen wrote: »
    Anyway the Drifter Challenge was created by @Vihisha and is a very intricate and drawn out challenge Made of Much Awesome and lots of mini-challenges.
    This just made me smile :smiley: Made of Much Awesome!!!

Lucky that the Spring Challenges r happening now...might b able 2 get a collection complete fairly quickly 4 the Curator Aspiration! Eggs!!

rXyqmuX.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Day 3&4: Getting a Roommate (aka The Quest for a Husband)

sq4gt4.jpg
    Annabella wakes the morning of the 3rd day of the experiment feeling very tense. She has been doing nothing but work, work, work and wished she had more time for fun (and more ways to have it). She can also hear the ticking clock in her head about needing to have an heir and get started building on her house as soon as possible.

2d963j8.jpg
    2nasi11.jpg
    She tries her hand at fishing because she did find that fun but she's much too stressed for it to be much help. Nor did she have much luck actually catching anything of use to her. She eventually gives up and starts her daily circuit of her neighborhood to collect from the strange rocks, logs and also from the plants that are now sprouting daily. She also keeps an eye out for Dillon the friend she made the previous day but either Annabella just kept missing him or he just wasn't around.

zn0dc6.jpg
    The following day Annabella awoke in a much better mood. Thanks to her collecting the previous night she'd been able to pick up a stove, a much better bigger bed, a lamp and most importantly a TV! She loved being able to catch up on her shows while she ate her breakfast. She was definitely more prepared to tackle the day ahead.

33m4exh.jpg
    The day just kept getting better when she spotted Dillon wandering around across the street and invited him to hang out. She had another goal in mind though and that was to invite Dillon to move in and hopefully eventually become her partner in this crazy experiment. He seemed a bit perplexed by her lawn living and her question but she'd apparently made a good enough impression that he quickly agreed to move in.

5y6xis.jpg
    The first thing he wants to do once he moves in his take a picture with Annabella. She takes this as a good sign. The first thing she wants to do once he moves in his give him a make over so she pulls out her phone and does just that.

v30ufk.jpg
    Post make-over they take another picture together. She is very happy with her work. Which is good since this is the only real bit of say she'll have in anything he does during the rest of their life together.

Dillon is an adult with no job and since she can't force him to get a job that's probably the way he'll stay. He's a huge geek just like her, loves hanging out with his bros (not that he seems to have a lot...or any of them really) and has a bit of a hot temper. He has a big dream of bringing a lot of mischief out into the world. So it's safe to say their life together is going to be very interesting.

2z5ltac.jpg
    But first Annabella needs to ensure that they'll have a life together. And she needs to do it fast because night is approaching and they only have the one double bed and it definitely would be weird to sleep together if they were only friends. She starts flirting with him. He seems really receptive to it until a risque questions proves to not be worth the risk making them both feel awkward. She decides to give him a break and do some collecting for a while to let the embarrassment die down for the both of them before trying again.

zksbd0.jpg
    While she runs around working hard he plays on his phone and chats up the other people wandering around. It's a bit frustrating when they so desperately need money and she could use his help making it but it's just something she's going to have to get used to.

vp9uf4.jpg
    2cnh0yv.jpg
    His gaming and chatting must not have gone very well because he returns home in a foul mood. She carefully treads the water to calm him down and then turns her attention back to wooing him.

4sxoqr.jpg
    It goes well.

hs53tc.jpg
    It goes very well and she ends up sharing her first kiss with him and having him agree to be her boyfriend in short succession afterwards. She ponders asking him to marry her but decides doing everything from moving in to getting engaged in one day might be pushing her luck a little bit. They have a bit of time. Not a lot but some.

rt3xis.jpg
    That doesn't mean she isn't going to take advantage of their new relationship status to take care over her growing need for something fun in a good clean fun kind of way... ;-)

9upxcj.jpg
    Before the night is over she pulls out her mystical cellphone and uses her hard earned money to build the first addition to her house a room for the baby that will eventually be joining them (But not too soon, they definitely don't have the money to support a baby right now). It doubles as a way to hide the toilet and shower from prying eyes. But a bathroom is definitely going to be the next addition to the house when she can afford to do so.

As she drifts off to sleep that night she definitely feels a bit more secure in what the future holds for her.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    VihishaVihisha Posts: 2,767 Member
    GREAT Makeover..he's a cutie :wink:
    I think that that is the 1st time I've seen someone add walls & make a nursery room before a bathroom :smile:
    rXyqmuX.jpg
  • Options
    LOL well I made myself a rule that they have to have a bathroom and a nursery before they can actually try for a baby. So I felt the nursery was the most important (and expensive because it needed to be bigger) part of the equation.

Also with your little trick of putting the toilet and and shower at the very back corner of the lot she no one has actually seen her to make her embarrassed so it didn't seem as high a priority to have it first lol. However I have now hidden the toilet behind the room so they do have a bit of privacy ;-)
    ~ ~ ~