Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Improve Gallery Pictures

Comments

• GucciGucci Posts: 12 New Member
    They need to fix the gallery in general. I hate how I have to go to a totally different site just to add mods and what not. Just add the cc into the gallery. Jesus.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited August 2016
    Gucci wrote: »
    They need to fix the gallery in general. I hate how I have to go to a totally different site just to add mods and what not. Just add the cc into the gallery. Jesus.

I miss this feature from the Sims 3 exchange, but at the same time, we have lots available on the Gallery for upload that we otherwise would not - Sims 3 creators often marked their custom content with notes saying NOT to upload lots with it to the Sims 3 exchange. Although this is a great feature for getting complete lots with custom content, there is usually no way to ensure the uploader of the lot gives credit to the custom content creators with this method. It would be much better if gallery lot uploaders could upload screenshots of the inside of their lots, as well as links to the custom content in the description, so that if you don't have or cannot get that custom content, you can find something similar looking. Besides, you may or may not remember in the Sims 3 exchange, there was a corrupted doll mod/custom content file (sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_guide:Removing_the_corrupted_doll)in some Exchange lots that was detrimental to the game. It is better not to risk downloading corrupted mods/custom content, including mods that get broken by future patches from EA/Maxis.

I think it is a better idea to replace the custom content if not owned by the downloader, by the object that the custom content was cloned from. Mods are better to exclude from the gallery altogether, since players may or may not want the features of the mod. For instance, I use custom food mods, but try not to use them in restaurants I upload to the Gallery. Besides, the custom food mods seem to replace the special foods that can be prepared by Sims in certain emotional states. I also use a packing crate mod (which allows any other buyable object to be stored in a special packing crate object). But I notice even if I am trying not to use any custom content in my builds, the fact that I have script mods active in my game makes all my builds flagged as custom content in the gallery when I save with script mods active.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • MyndrunnerMyndrunner Posts: 86 Member
    I wish they added a lot more poses for all moods. I hate having to use script mods and junk just to change up the usual poses for my pictures and in the gallery.
  • PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    Are you guys even working on a fix/improvements?

The current state of the gallery is horrible and unacceptable. Please do something about it once and for all.
  • NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    I'd like the lot front angle to be set by whatever side I put and set the front door on, the rest of the angles would respect the front door.

Or

If I rotate the lot from the default that should reset the camera to the new rotation. Consider the direction pointers on stuff; whatever side has the arrows would have the front camera locked to it so that it can be rotated to another side, other camera angles would follow the front camera clockwise with an option to choose counter clockwise.

Or

Stick the camera angle at upload. For instance, I move my camera into a certain position within a bounding box and then choose upload, the upload reflects the camera position I chose for its starting point/main photo with subsequent angles moving counter/clock wise around the front of the lot (hopefully with "front" being user determined)

Or

A new interface that requests the appropriate number of photos in a similar fashion to the way paint from reference or take photo of works and cycles/assists the user through taking/retaking the correct number and angle of photos, this could only be done on upload as a step in the process.

And

Pretty much everything you said @BryonyRae :wink:
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • DaniBosGirlDaniBosGirl Posts: 52 Member

Hello @BryonyRae ,
    I agree with everything you said. I have no Mods or specialty CC in my Sims 4 game. I remember how many times I had to reinstall Sims 3 because I had custom content that would mess up my game when they patched something. Also it took so long to load when you had CC. But I absolutely hate that I can not pick the pics for my gallery items. I do not want to edit the pic or anything like that, I just want to be able to pick what sides show, pick what rooms in the lot I want to showcase. Heck I love if they let us have 8 slots , but 5 would be fine. I just want to be able to showcase my lots with unedited pics of my choosing.
  • HannahcleolaHannahcleola Posts: 252 Member
    I would simply like a family portrait option for our sims cameras. I play one family for generations, it'd be nice to capture the family all together. Ive been taking selfies of each sim in the family, 🐸🐸🐸🐸 the photo there name and blowing up the picture using cheat shift ) + (these selfies take up alot of room on my sims walls :o also the quality isnt the best) Anywho I like to see how the genetics get passed on throughout the generations. Family portraits please!
  • willowburgerwillowburger Posts: 3 New Member
    IDEA! What if in CAS when you choose a profile picture for your sim, they could have different poses depending on their Aspiration in life? I was creating a bodybuilder sim and was choosing their picture when I thought of this; I wish they had more pose options based on their aspiration! <3
  • Lovegab101Lovegab101 Posts: 83 Member
    I think taht you could sell you art to the gallery and it could show up or ur able to buy art. Another thing that would be cool is auctions for art galleys and differnt type of art gallerys.
  • geldoongeldoon Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm not a builder but I am a downloader and from that perspective I can whole heartedly agree that the gallery needs an overhaul. It is very difficult to choose a lot because of the shocking pictures generated with dark lighting (though with some bills a night picture is handy) bad angles and tiny pictures. You basically have to take a chance, download it and have a proper look in game. It would be cool if they could add a pre-via feature that allowed you to go into build mode before you download so you can inspect the property at your leisure, like buying a real house :smile: I'm not sure if that feasible but it would be nice. That would be in addition to the suggestions made by the OP. I do create households for the gallery and think the idea of a close up, rotatable head shot is essential. I recently did a Paris Hilton sim and the shots didn't do the sim justice, she looked more like her in game than in any of the pictures I was given to choose from. I spent several hours on that SIM and was rather disappointed with the outcome. I support your efforts and hope you can bring sit a change but it seems to me that the farther we go the smaller Maxis make the sandbox. It would also be nice if they could create a system which would slew you to choose whether or not you wished to download any custom content used in a build or sim but I digress and that I'd probably fit another discussion and probably couldn't be implemented in this instalment of the greatest game ever created but it is something they should keep in mind for the next instalment. I apologise for going off topic for a bit. I would like to take the opportunity to thank all of you wonderfully creative builders, my game would be lost without your brilliant creations and hard work. Thank you all so very much; you makes a great game AWESOME.
  • ALPhaSpARroWALPhaSpARroW Posts: 5 New Member
    Just another thought but what if we could sort out sims into categories (e.g. folders) that we can name and put certain sim/s or lots into specific folders (e.g. legacy folders for legacy sims, challenge folder for sim challenges, etc). I realize that this is just for gallery images but I don't know where else to put this under. but yeah, its an idea :/
  • GozeppelinGozeppelin Posts: 96 Member
    Portrait randomization is kind of a pain. Backdrops would be nice- particularly user-made ones. Dragging Sims on the picture plane and enlarging/shrinking them would be super neat, too.
  • UltheaFuUltheaFu Posts: 64 Member
    @OP, YES! All of your suggestions are badly needed, especially for unconventional builds.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I'd love it if I could just take my own screenshots and use them. An option, of course, with the default being it does the job for you.

Way I figure it, if you're proficient at building, you probably have a bit of an eye for angles as well. You'll know how to set up your shots to highlight what you think is worth highlighting far better than any automated screengrabber.

I imagine it working something like this: Next to the camera icon, you have another one called "Take Custom Picture." When you click it, it takes you into a special form of live mode where the only thing you can do is hit the screenshot button or hit a "back" arrow to go back to the gallery screen. It then cycles you through each area it normally would on its own, only instead of it snapping a picture, it waits for you to snap one, then it proceeds to the next part of the lot. When it's done, it takes you back to the gallery screen.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • ScarletPipperScarletPipper Posts: 546 Member
    Coming from a builder's point of view, I've noticed that the images can be very frustrating in both rooms and lots. I wish that for rooms, we were given two photos instead of one. Then, we could have the two sides of the room instead of seeing it from a single diagonal angle where you can't see what's happening on the two walls that aren't visible. As for lots, I've noticed a few odd orientations of the perspective of gallery photos, mainly in Willow Creek and Newcrest. When I made a Bargain Bend starter, I went to put it in the gallery just to notice that the image isn't taken from the view of the main road and had to alter the build altogether. It can get really frustrating and like @Joolster said, we should just take the picture from the front door's side. If not, the just let us have a more maneuverable gallery camera with custom photo-taking similar to how the screen capture works.
    Sims 4 player and builder!
    37245817526_0930d9f6c5_b.jpg
    Request from me or one of my great teammates!
    Gallery | Showcase
  • S1MSLYS1S__QARDS1MSLYS1S__QARD Posts: 206 Member
    edited February 2017
    If we can take screenshots, then we should be allowed to upload our screenshots attached to the the household or lot we want to upload to the gallery.
    We should also be able to decide each characters individual pose, by selecting on the characters profile photo and clicking the camera button to change their pose in the household group photo.

p.s NO MORE RANDOMIZATION it literally drive me crazy and is time consuming because some of the sim poses are just aggravating you feel compelled to change it and take too long to get shot your just FINE with, it should just be ordered chronologically.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/913011/randomization-torture#latest
    Post edited by S1MSLYS1S__QARD on
  • nicolethebowlnicolethebowl Posts: 121 Member
    It would be nice to choose angles for house pictures like we can with individual rooms.
  • CJSimmieCJSimmie Posts: 310 Member
    I definitely agree that we need more maxis poses and the ability to zoom in and out of the shot. Plus the ability for the poses to reflect EACH sim's personality.
  • luvalphvleluvalphvle Posts: 1,545 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm a builder, mostly on Sims 3 still but I've done a few Sims 4 lots. I recently did a Sims 4 lot that I went to upload. The gallery default pictures are TERRIBLE. Like, it doesn't even take a picture from the front of the lot, but from the side. The problem is when I use the Tray Importer, suddenly my lot is marked as having CC when it doesn't, and now the lot won't show up on the website gallery and has to be downloaded from inside the game.

The Sims 4 gallery is really amazing in general. This is a huge issue that needs to be addressed. We need a "Set Front of Lot" option like TS3 has. Maybe that would help with better pictures.
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    I like this idea. Thoroughly well thought out and articulated. Thanks for sharing!
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited May 2017
    Changes I want made to the gallery

-Lots can only be reuploaded with permission of the creator.
    -Instead of showing the latest build, show what is popular at the moment , by default
    - Allow people to edit a lot and have changes applied without re-uploading it
    - Allow tagging in comments on creations, so people will know once they have a response
    -There should be an option to only allow followers to download uploads, for people who want
    them. Basically , if someone wanted to download a house they saw on the gallery, and that
    creator had that option on, then they would have to follow before downloading.
    -Allow us to zoom and edit our own , personal gallery photos.
  • AutumnBladenAutumnBladen Posts: 295 Member

-Instead of showing the latest build, show what is popular at the moment , by default
    - Allow tagging in comments on creations, so people will know once they have a response
    -There should be an option to only allow followers to download uploads, for people who want
    them. Basically , if someone wanted to download a house they saw on the gallery, and that

I feel like part of the problem with the first one about re-uploading the lots is that sometimes you can go through and change everything about the building except the walls and it'll be labeled as being from someone else originally when in a large way it could be very much so a new work. I mean, some people even upload empty shells of houses for that very purpose while others have things uploaded for the purpose of having them fixed up and they even have the fixer-upper hashtag.

I also think demanding someone follow you to download a lot seems a bit wrong. People shouldn't be forced to follow you unless they actually want to and like a majority of your creations. To be forced to do so when they like a single creation and want to use it is a bit wrong.

I agree with most of your other suggestions, though.
  • ScarletPipperScarletPipper Posts: 546 Member

I agree with AutumnBladen in the sense that some of these seem a bit much like the following to download one. My main issue, though, is the thought that Most Popular should be the default.
    This defeats the purpose of new and small creators having the same chance to be seen as the larger ones; for most, those few seconds on the Latest screen are where most are of their downloads come from and you it really makes it harder for less popular creators to grow
    Sims 4 player and builder!
    37245817526_0930d9f6c5_b.jpg
    Request from me or one of my great teammates!
    Gallery | Showcase
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member

I'm curious about your reasoning behind wanting this. If you find a diamond in a garbage heap, will you take the diamond with the entire garbage heap as well? Not saying the creations are garbage but sometimes you only want that one lot, household etc. from a creator.
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    taydev wrote: »

I'm curious about your reasoning behind wanting this. If you find a diamond in a garbage heap, will you take the diamond with the entire garbage heap as well? Not saying the creations are garbage but sometimes you only want that one lot, household etc. from a creator.

It's OPTIONAL. I think thats the part people are missing. I would like an option , or toggle for upload preferences for the creator. One of them being a option to disallow re-uploading. For the people who don't mind their stuff being re-uploaded they can leave that open, but if someone doesnt they can turn the setting on.

The other setting could be optional also.