Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Woah, The Sims 2 just got a patch!

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
Why haven't EA posted about this?

I logged in and it asked me to update my Sims 2 game, I was like whaaaaaaaat?
Firstly it's not even on Origin to buy, why a patch?

Anyway I downloaded it and the icon changed from the Mansion and Garden stuff icon to its own icon which is a plumbbob with stars around it.

So weird. I'm guessing they may have just improved performance??? Idk

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2016
    It seems they have done something with the shadows. The option to change the shadow settings are disabled and there's no boxes under Sims feet.

The loading screens look like they are on fast forward or something. Like its flashing really quickly.
    Post edited by jackjack_k on
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Im not opening origin to test it out since I dont use origin but putting shadows on med takes away the box anyway.
  • Options
    Im not opening origin to test it out since I dont use origin but putting shadows on med takes away the box anyway.

It doesn't on Windows 10 I believe. TheSimSupply couldn't get rid of the boxes with the shadow set to Medium or off. He had to cancel his series because of it.
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »

It doesn't on Windows 10 I believe. TheSimSupply couldn't get rid of the boxes with the shadow set to Medium or off. He had to cancel his series because of it.

It was working for my son on windows 10 .None of our games are locked into origin. Just thinking maybe its a problem for those who are locked into origin ? We downloaded TS2 UC before ea started this whole locked into origin business.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Where is this new update :o
  • Options
    cleo00 wrote: »

This.

Is it just for people who don't have the UC since I do and I'm not seeing the update anywhere? I have launched the game from my TS2 UC icon from my window screen and I even went through Origin and don't see anything about an update when I hover my mouse over TS2 UC... :/

• Options
    lisasc360 wrote: »

This.

Is it just for people who don't have the UC since I do and I'm not seeing the update anywhere? I have launched the game from my TS2 UC icon from my window screen and I even went through Origin and don't see anything about an update when I hover my mouse over TS2 UC... :/

I am guessing at the moment its for people who have ts2 UC locked into origin. I take it you have the old version of TS3 UC that does not require origin. If you uninstalled TS2 UC and reinstalled it my guess is you would now be locked into origin and would not be able to play the game without origin.

all this update does according to jackjack is fix the shadow box underneath the sim but if you put shadows on med it takes away the box
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I have TS2 UC on Origin and got the patch. If you right click on the "box," you'll get the option to update the game. The main thing the patch has done for me that I've noticed is that it got rid of the weird graphics that had been happening in buy mode ever since I switched to Windows 10.
  • Options
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    I have TS2 UC on Origin and got the patch. If you right click on the "box," you'll get the option to update the game. The main thing the patch has done for me that I've noticed is that it got rid of the weird graphics that had been happening in buy mode ever since I switched to Windows 10.

Thank you. I did what you said and now it's updating... :)

• Options
    crockatailcrockatail Posts: 312 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'd uninstalled Origin from my pc after I uninstalled the Sims 4(due to My Sims 4 family was always being culled.) And since I believe EA is planning something else like slaving all the Sims games to Origin. No Thanks I'm leaving my Sims 2 game as is. Plus ask yourself this Question Why are they doing this now years after they stop supporting the Sims 2?

Post edited by crockatail on
  • Options

This.

I am guessing at the moment its for people who have ts2 UC locked into origin. I take it you have the old version of TS3 UC that does not require origin. If you uninstalled TS2 UC and reinstalled it my guess is you would now be locked into origin and would not be able to play the game without origin.

all this update does according to jackjack is fix the shadow box underneath the sim but if you put shadows on med it takes away the box

It's still not locked into Origin. I have the TS2 UC on my old account and was able to sign back into my new one and it worked fine.

It's not the only fix it has. There's no more lag when you use the eye dropper tool, the loading screens are much faster after the initial boot up. The game itself looks a lot clearer although I'm sure it will look better with the resolution hack.

They've definitely done a few things to it. The question is, why? It doesn't make any sense.
  • Options

This.

It's still not locked into Origin. I have the TS2 UC on my old account and was able to sign back into my new one and it worked fine.

It's not the only fix it has. There's no more lag when you use the eye dropper tool, the loading screens are much faster after the initial boot up. The game itself looks a lot clearer although I'm sure it will look better with the resolution hack.

They've definitely done a few things to it. The question is, why? It doesn't make any sense.

Who knows. Im still questioning why we need to be locked into origin on TS3 and no patch to fix things
  • Options
    Is it just for the UC? I still play with all of my original ts2 discs..EA has gotten way too much of my parents' money :D If it weren't for ts4 I wouldn't have Origin at all..
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Did it? I didn't notice anything :\
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    The question is, why? It doesn't make any sense.

Maybe it's because more people are playing it again now? I've been on a sims 2 kick the last two months since I installed it on my windows 10 laptop because my dino-pc hummed its last hum...but I never stopped playing it. But I have watched probably every sims 2 let's play there is on youtube and I know that there are some who never had even played ts2 until the UC was on Origin. So maybe they did the update because of that.
    Just speculating.
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I think I'll skip over it like I did with sims 3's recent update
  • Options

This.

Who knows. Im still questioning why we need to be locked into origin on TS3 and no patch to fix things

I'm guessing any game that has online content in the game will get updates which will improve security. I've noticed that offline games most often don't need to be locked into Origin but online games do.

I reckon the patch for the Sims 3 recently may have included some minor security updates just to make sure when your game connects online that there's no threats.
  • Options
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »

If you've got the Mansion and Garden stuff logo, you're running the old one. That's the best way to tell.
  • Options
    @cleo00 wrote: »
    The question is, why? It doesn't make any sense.

Maybe it's because more people are playing it again now? I've been on a sims 2 kick the last two months since I installed it on my windows 10 laptop because my dino-pc hummed its last hum...but I never stopped playing it. But I have watched probably every sims 2 let's play there is on youtube and I know that there are some who never had even played ts2 until the UC was on Origin. So maybe they did the update because of that.
    Just speculating.

Yeah but EA make no money off the Sims 2 anymore so it seems weird to me that they want to put more money into the game that's free.

Also they said the UC would no longer be supported which is why it was free. So it's really weird why they did end up supporting it haha
  • Options

If you've got the Mansion and Garden stuff logo, you're running the old one. That's the best way to tell.

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

This.

I'm guessing any game that has online content in the game will get updates which will improve security. I've noticed that offline games most often don't need to be locked into Origin but online games do.

I reckon the patch for the Sims 3 recently may have included some minor security updates just to make sure when your game connects online that there's no threats.

Its to lock you into origin. The only reason. They think its going to stop people from pirating the game however the original discs are still out there. You can still buy them brand new sealed that don't require origin. We went years without origin and I still play without it. Origin has caused more problems on my computer than anything else. Especially with the sims 4
  • Options

Well...the start up is "Fun with Pets" but it was always like that, but in the neighborhood selection screen the Mansion & Garden logo is there so...I'm confused. Is it supose to be like this? I have checked for updates and I believe there was something like 27 mbs or close to that so..
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Well, I'm glad I have all of my games on disc. I only have the UC on Origin as the ultimate backup plan if my discs no longer work, but I haven't downloaded it.

I hope this patch doesn't screw up any mods, especially since some of the authors have long retired.