Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ideas at a Glance for Toddlers

Comments

• 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I´d be more than surprised if we get them for free. I´,m afraid basic functions patched in for free is the most we can expect.

@rudy8292: You´re just right. The logical thing would have been not letting players wait for over two years for toddlers. I know so many eager Sim fans who have stopped playing TS4 because of the lack of toddlers. And I doubt that EA will be able to win many of those back it they let them wait much longer. So on financial terms it might actually make some sense at this point to not add them at all.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • JudilandJudiland Posts: 2,332 Member
    I will happily pay for (Sim) toddlers. Also I will pay for their stuff and pets and everything else i happily pay for cuz the Sims are awesome. K
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I won´t be happy to have to pay for toddlers because I still believe they should have been shipped with the base, but I´d rather pay for them than not getting them at all or getting low-budget toddlers for free.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited December 2016
    zubrowkas wrote: »
    There's a wonderful community of family play simmers on tumblr which I'm not a member of but have no issue with peeking in on every once in awhile. They also tag their posts with 'simumblr' which I find rather sweet and apt. When I hear the gurus and devs talk about not knowing what to contribute so far as family play goes, it's always baffling to me as there are so many active corners of the web that are doing remarkable things that they could easily look to for suggestions and guidance.

Honestly, they are without excuses at this point. Since they won't give us an answer, I guess we can conclude they can't implement them or they will do so later. Either way, simmers, especially family players don't have a solid answer. As far as ideas, not only do they have so many fans giving them ideas in this thread and other places online, but they also have TS2 and TS3. Plus, they seem to come up with new ideas for everything else.

• griffin1842griffin1842 Posts: 255 Member
    I'd be fine paying for toddlers if they were done well and the pack or expansion had a good amount of content.

I'm actually hoping that, if toddlers are added, they are similar to the toddlers in sims freeplay in the sense that they are already able to walk and are more like what actual 2 and 3 year olds are like. This would fix some of the problems people have with toddlers (too much trouble, annoying, etc) while also making them more realistic. Toddlers should need more care than children, require booster seats, sleep in toddler beds, can be picked up, and be unable to get food from the fridge, but not crawl around (most babies start walking around 1 year old). Basically what I'd like them to do is decide on an age range (I'd recommend 2-3 years old) and learn about that age and model toddlers after that.
  • awareaware Posts: 16 Member
    @83bienchen I just hope that if it does come out as a GP, it actually has a good amount of content (customization, furniture, moodlets, interactions, etc...). If it doesn't I feel like toddlers will just get in the way of game play, and they'll just be a disappointment after waiting for the real thing.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I think it helps if we get back to the theme of IDEAS for toddlers, rather than just complaints that they aren't in the game yet. I think objects for toddlers has already been discussed, but I'm not sure if hobbies/activities for toddlers has been discussed yet.

The other thing I haven't yet seen on this thread is how to integrate the idea of toddlers with the EPs/GPs/Stuff packs/patches that have been released to date. Here are my ideas:

*Granite Falls/Outdoor Retreat - the toddlers will have to be left with daycare or Nanny (if they have got the Nanny working properly). Or has anyone taken a toddler camping in real life? If so, what happened? Toddlers getting burned by the campfire or eating poisonous plants are something nobody would want in their game.
    *Get to Work - Simple, toddlers don't go to work. Same treatment as children except they would be left with daycare or Nanny.
    *City Living - Toddlers could live in apartments, maybe noise complaint from neighbors if toddler cries/tantrums at night. Toddlers don't go to festivals or eat from food stands.
    *Spa Day - Toddlers would stay at home with day care or Nanny - like children, toddlers don't go to spas. Toddler use of at-home Saunas would be disabled.
    *Dine Out - Could be patched to allow a toddler to sit in a highchair at a table in a restaurant, but not order (bowl of soft food and/or sippy cup would automatically show up on the highchair when the food is served). Possibility of making nearby restaurant patrons uncomfortable if toddler cries/has tantrum in restaurant, or angry if the nearby restaurant patron hates children. (Uncomfortable moodlet: Babies will cry, but that doesn't make it any easier on the ears.) (Angry moodlet: Can't those parents make that kid be quiet?)
    *Luxury Party Stuff: No effect, none of the stuff is designed for toddlers, except maybe the chocolate/cheese/punch fountain, which hopefully should be out of the toddler's reach.
    *Perfect Patio Stuff: Toddlers would have to be disabled/blocked from using hot tubs.
    *Cool Kitchen Stuff: Adults or Teens should be able to feed Ice Cream to toddlers if Ice Cream is made and on the counter. Toddlers would not like certain kinds of Ice Cream (like any ice cream that had a fattening or slimming effect) and would refuse to eat it. Repeated attempts to feed a toddler an Ice Cream they don't like would result in a tantrum. Toddlers would like the other Ice Creams, but they would have no mood effects except Happy or Energized. (Energized might be a good side effect of toddlers eating ice cream - with the moodlet "Sugar High".)
    *Spooky Stuff: Toddler use of the Pumpkin Carving station would be disabled. I'm not sure whether toddlers should be able to eat from the Spooky Candy Bowl or not. (If toddler age is equivalent to age 2, no, but if toddler age is equivalent to age 3-4, yes.) Crying and running to parents for a comforting hug would result from a toddler being scared by the spooky hand in the spooky candy bowl.
    *Movie Hangout Stuff: Toddlers could watch movies, but might get distracted in the middle of the movie unless it is a kids movie.
    *Romantic Garden Stuff: Toddler interaction with the Wishing Well would be disabled.
    *Kids Room Stuff: The beds are for kids rather than toddlers, but the dressers could be patched to allow a "Dress Toddler" interaction, and the bookshelves could be patched to allow a "Read Story" or "Ask to Read Story" interaction for toddlers. The puppet theater could be patched to allow toddlers to "Watch Show" but not put on a show.
    *Backyard Stuff: Using the slip n slide should be disabled for toddlers, except toddlers might try to walk across it when nobody is using it, and fall down in the middle, resulting in an Uncomfortable moodlet (Oops, slippery! That was a learning experience.), and getting back up to finish crossing to the other side. Whether the toddler cries from this would depend on the personality of the toddler. Toddlers could also watch others slide.
    *Vintage Glamour Stuff: No effect on toddlers, this stuff is just for the adults, though the butler should be patched to also help care for the toddler when needed.

*Pools: Toddlers should have their own wading pools but be unable to use regular pools.
    *Claiming beds: Toddlers should be able to claim toddler beds or cribs or single-toddler playpens. There should also be playpens big enough for 2 or 3 toddlers as well as the single-toddler variety, in the case of twins or triplets.
    *Inventory: Toddlers could only carry toys and food items.
    *Monsters under the Bed: Definitely applies to toddler beds, but not toddler cribs (which might have a monster in closet option).
    *Baking: Eating sweets would give toddlers a Sugar High Energized moodlet. Eating too many sweets would give toddlers a Nauseated moodlet.

I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    edited December 2016
    Here are more ideas, these are for how to integrate Emotions with Toddlers:
    *Angry: enables throw tantrum action and "cry angrily" action.
    *Energized: enables jump up and down, run in circles or chat nonstop action (depending if toddler can walk or talk). Toddlers with an Energetic personality learn to walk faster and learn motor skills faster.
    *Bored: enables crying, suck on pacifier, Lie Down on Floor, and sleep actions. (May be triggered by low Fun need, especially on community lots.)
    *Sad: enables crying action, suck on pacifier action, and run to parents interaction. (May be triggered by low Social need.)
    *Uncomfortable: enables throw tantrum action, crying action, and run to parents interaction.
    *Hungry: see under Uncomfortable, plus enables "Ask to be Fed" interaction.
    *Tired: see under Uncomfortable, plus enables "Lie down on Floor" action and "Sleep" action.
    *Happy: enables learning skills (child skills up to skill level 3 or 5), chatting, walking, playing with toys.
    *Dazed: enables Sit on Floor or Sit in Corner action. (May happen after getting punished by parents?)
    *Embarrassed: An alternative emotion for when toddler is punished. Enables Sit in Corner action.
    *Flirty: Toddlers don't get flirty.
    *Focused: Toddlers may get focused from Skill-building toddler toys or activities. Boosts speed of learning skills, otherwise same as happy.
    *Inspired: Toddlers are too young to get Inspired.
    *Confident: A Happy toddler is a confident toddler, so same as happy. (Some toddlers just have a confident/independent personality.)
    *Tense: Toddlers don't get tense, they get angry or scared. Same as Angry when fun need is low. If scared, enable "run to parents" and "cry" actions. Some toddlers just have a Timid personality.

*Playful: Toddlers are too young to get playful. (Some toddlers just have playful personalities.) Bubble baths increase fun and hygiene need for toddlers and make them happy, but most toddlers prefer to bathe with toys. Alternatively: unlocks toddler mischief actions, such as "put crayons in speaker" (maybe a new/second-hand speaker set that has a "mysterious hole" in the back of it), or "play with toilet paper", or "put stuffed animal in mouth", (or when seasons comes out, stir mud puddle with stick - which should also be available for sloppy children, and "throw snow in air").

Post edited by SimsILikeSims on
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member
    If Toddlers get added, Id be 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if the following would be missing:
    Toddler bear costume from outdoor living, alien outfit for alien toddlers and alien related toddler toys from get to work, play in puddles interaction, child-toddler interactions, occult-toddlers (when life states are added) with fitting textures, outfits and animations, the abillity to draw on walls and furniture and throwing their food at the walls or in other Sims faces, Toddler-Toddler interactions and toddlers autonomously exploring the house...
  • RilaeRilae Posts: 35 Member
    Just anything at this point. My families are so boring.
  • MierinSedai21MierinSedai21 Posts: 14 New Member
    I actually went through my stuff earlier this week searching for my sims 3 discs because I got so disappointed with the babies my sims had. I know that there's a lot of clamor for toddlers to make their return. Which omg I want so bad!?!? But does anyone else find the babies really disappointing? Like you can't even change them from one crib to another so you can decorate your nursery? If you have a surprise twin it totally can wreck my entire aesthetic...

I would really love for there to be a generations type expansion at some point that did put toddlers in the game and just added to family dynamics in genereal! but I really really really want babies untethered from the crib. Please make them not be objects! OMG how fun would it be to take your whole family out and about and be able to take your babies and toddlers with you? Like an animation for the adults to hold a baby while they eat dinner with one hand would be so awesome! at least the baby! i can be ok with toddlers having to use a booster chair. :)
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Hey did anyone check out the toddler render made by a player in the speculation forum they look great if not you should check it out.
  • KAYMARIEMADDOXKAYMARIEMADDOX Posts: 1 New Member
    If toddlers are introduced, they should create an infertile trait, where adults and young adults can't make children of their own so are forced to adopt.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    @KAYMARIEMADDOX you can already have infertile sims. It came with the transgender patch :)
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • CharKittyBooCharKittyBoo Posts: 569 Member
    I'd like to give some feedback to you @SimsILikeSims :) if I don't comment on something then I agree with your original ideas.

*Granite Falls/Outdoor Retreat - the toddlers will have to be left with daycare or Nanny (if they have got the Nanny working properly). Or has anyone taken a toddler camping in real life? If so, what happened? Toddlers getting burned by the campfire or eating poisonous plants are something nobody would want in their game.

Objection! :D(not intended to offend) I want to bring toddlers on vacation! Imagine a tropical vacation GP or EP without being able to bring your toddlers to the beach to build sandcastles? I couldn't bear it! Toddlers are part of the family and where the sim starts showing personality; if the family goes the toddler goes! No campfire burning or poisoning though, as for toddler-specific activities I'd suggest being able to play games with the help of an adult/teen sim or group activities like "watch birds," cloudgaze, or hiking. They're big boys and girls right? ;)
    *City Living - Toddlers could live in apartments, maybe noise complaint from neighbors if toddler cries/tantrums at night. Toddlers don't go to festivals or eat from food stands.

I think this kinda depends on the toddler's motor skills for how well they can walk on their own, but also how well toddlers work with multitasking (the ability of a sim teen/adult to carry a toddler in one hand and order food/eat with the other) and if we get strollers or some other form of toddler transportation that makes sure your sim keeps an eye on them. Maybe if they made it so a toddler could only roam freely on residential lots? And in the partial open world areas like in CL or parks and generic lots the toddler would automatically be put in a stroller and the stroller would be given to an adult/teen sim (parents first priority but it'd be nice to be able to pick which sim leads the tot around) With strollers I think the adult/teen sim in charge would not be able to leave the child alone unless another sim agrees to "Ask to watch baby" interaction, and switches with them. The "toddler chauffeur" sim would be able to have conversations with other sims, but be limited in actions requiring them to leave the child alone.

Emotions

I don't really see why toddlers couldn't be inspired? Maybe their inspiration makes them get the whim to want to play with their toys, draw a picture, color on the wall, etc.
    *Tense: Toddlers don't get tense, they get angry or scared. Same as Angry when fun need is low. If scared, enable "run to parents" and "cry" actions. Some toddlers just have a Timid personality.

I think tense in toddlers would be really similar to uncomfortable, which is maybe why you deem it unnecessary, but I think it could still be there. I can't think of anything special for it atm though.
    *Playful: Toddlers are too young to get playful. (Some toddlers just have playful personalities.) Bubble baths increase fun and hygiene need for toddlers and make them happy, but most toddlers prefer to bathe with toys. Alternatively: unlocks toddler mischief actions, such as "put crayons in speaker" (maybe a new/second-hand speaker set that has a "mysterious hole" in the back of it), or "play with toilet paper", or "put stuffed animal in mouth", (or when seasons comes out, stir mud puddle with stick - which should also be available for sloppy children, and "throw snow in air").

I can see where you're coming from on this, but I actually respectfully disagree. Toddlers may often be playful, sure they're generally happy and spending most of their time playing but we all know sometimes we just feel especially silly with mom and dad, friends, or siblings, so I think toddlers should definitely be able to get playful. :p:D
    Family player we got toddlers...my life is complete 1/12/17 best. day. ever.
    7ZDKKOkt.png
    My Plum Family Tree
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    So this thread is still here after all.

Well sorry to see that nothing has changed since September when I last lurked but I guess that being TS4, that is to be expected really.

Sadly I think that next year would be more of the same. More party stuff, more complaints?

Staying on topic though I do have one new idea for toddlers. A kids TV show perhaps that only toddlers could enjoy and parents could enjoy watching it with their toddler. I don't know if anyone else has suggested that before but it would be good if TV shows had more impact on the Sim watching it.

Horrors would scare children or adults with a coward trait. Teens and YAs would want to watch romances or action. Elders would want to watch the gardening channel :blush:

Maybe we could see something like that in TS5?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    I'd like to give some feedback to you @SimsILikeSims :) if I don't comment on something then I agree with your original ideas.

Objection! :D(not intended to offend) I want to bring toddlers on vacation! Imagine a tropical vacation GP or EP without being able to bring your toddlers to the beach to build sandcastles? I couldn't bear it! Toddlers are part of the family and where the sim starts showing personality; if the family goes the toddler goes! No campfire burning or poisoning though, as for toddler-specific activities I'd suggest being able to play games with the help of an adult/teen sim or group activities like "watch birds," cloudgaze, or hiking. They're big boys and girls right? ;)

I think this kinda depends on the toddler's motor skills for how well they can walk on their own, but also how well toddlers work with multitasking (the ability of a sim teen/adult to carry a toddler in one hand and order food/eat with the other) and if we get strollers or some other form of toddler transportation that makes sure your sim keeps an eye on them. Maybe if they made it so a toddler could only roam freely on residential lots? And in the partial open world areas like in CL or parks and generic lots the toddler would automatically be put in a stroller and the stroller would be given to an adult/teen sim (parents first priority but it'd be nice to be able to pick which sim leads the tot around) With strollers I think the adult/teen sim in charge would not be able to leave the child alone unless another sim agrees to "Ask to watch baby" interaction, and switches with them. The "toddler chauffeur" sim would be able to have conversations with other sims, but be limited in actions requiring them to leave the child alone.

Emotions

I don't really see why toddlers couldn't be inspired? Maybe their inspiration makes them get the whim to want to play with their toys, draw a picture, color on the wall, etc.

I think tense in toddlers would be really similar to uncomfortable, which is maybe why you deem it unnecessary, but I think it could still be there. I can't think of anything special for it atm though.

I can see where you're coming from on this, but I actually respectfully disagree. Toddlers may often be playful, sure they're generally happy and spending most of their time playing but we all know sometimes we just feel especially silly with mom and dad, friends, or siblings, so I think toddlers should definitely be able to get playful. :p:D

What kinds of silly things should toddlers do? Make silly faces or do silly dance are possibilities that come to mind, but nothing else. Keep in mind I think of toddlers as 1 or 2 year olds. For 3 or 4 year olds, definitely 3 or 4 year olds can be playful and silly, but I don't know any 1 or 2 year olds without a playful personality that get playful. Plenty that get into mischief though.

I love the idea of toddlers being included in a future beach vacation EP and building sandcastles with the help of an older sibling. (Yes, 3 and 4 year olds would be able to build a sandcastle on their own, but 1 or 2 year olds would not - they would only be able to "play in sand" by themselves) I also love the idea of a patch that would enable a "Go on hike with..." interaction in Granite Falls, then the teen, young adult, adult, or elder would initiate the interaction. (They would probably come back from the hike carrying the toddler.) Right now, there's no hiking that I know of yet in Granite Falls. Don't know how they overlooked that, but they did. I also like the idea of toddlers being able to watch birds, and maybe squirrels too. Also, probably the stroller could apply here, too for toddlers who cannot walk yet.

I also love your idea about strollers. I hope they put that in.
  • gmartindale98gmartindale98 Posts: 52 Member
    It would be cool if toddlers could draw on walls and throw temper tantrums. It could make the parents embarrassed when their toddler is having a tantrum in public and other sims would give them dirty looks.
  • SnappiTheSimmerxxSnappiTheSimmerxx Posts: 180 Member
    OMG OMG I'M FREAKED OUT OOOOOMG TODDLERS ARE HERE OMG
    Even if I die, I'll still feel alive knowing that there are people that loved me. -Ryan Yamada
    2lDWFwI.gif
  • crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    I'm so happy they're finally here you guys. :) Have been doing a happy dance all day!
    Well it seems that a few ideas from here have been implemented. Maybe we could also thank @SimGuruDrake for showing some slight interest early on :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @SimGuruDrake Well I hope you enjoy the toddler update as well :smile:

Also I replied to your message you sent me last week ;)

Happy Simming :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member
    edited January 2017
    Well it seems that a few ideas from here have been implemented. Maybe we could also thank @SimGuruDrake for showing some slight interest early on :smile:

Definitely can't take credit. I'm just happy that through our conversations here in the forums that I was able to use my own means to help get additional ideas for Toddlers from you for the team. This thread will still remain open as I know there is probably still going to be a lot more that you want to see for this stage so please continue to share your ideas here. But for now this deviant player is going to start a family for the first time to enjoy this update with all of you (you will probably be surprised to hear that not once during their development did I get any hands on time them the little ones so this will be my first time playing with them too!)

I would have liked an option for us, simmers if we could choose to breastfeed our toddlers and not just give them sippy cups..

speaking of Sippy cups-I would like to give them to toddlers on the floor and not just in the highchair
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif