Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else tired of this?

Comments

• NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I saw your point with the anger/trash bin saga. That is another example where if the angry moodlet was 10+ initially it wouldn't be so unreasonably difficult to get the sim to stay angry. @Piperbird I've had the same thing with one of my hotheaded, jealous sims. He gets super jealous (I provoke him by making his partner flirt with someone else 'cos I love the dram) then his hotheaded trait kicks in as well occasionally and he becomes very angry... so he runs outside to kick the trash bin only to have stopped being angry as the overwhelming emotion as his 'loves the outdoors' trait tops up his other happy traits and... then he just stands around outside not knowing what to do with himself. Generally I don't direct this particular sim much as I only added him to the household for the jealous drama so this kind of game play happens all without me ever controlling him directly. Although I do manipulate him via my main sim.

@Neia I like your take on my idea of a +10 moodlet... good idea to have it reducing down to +5 after the initial stage that way it would be much easier for a player to work around it and get on with the rest of their game but still having that initial burst of sadness or anger etc that would feel spontaneous and believable.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited March 2016
    I too feel as though the environmental buffs are ridiculous and I don't think I should be limited to the amount of objects I can put in my game solely to work around this ridiculous design choice just to avoid having a sim revert back to their "happy" emotion less than five minutes after their loved one has just passed away or they've had a proposal rejected.

I don't play the game to tell a story, I play the game to slack off and have a bit of fun for a few hours and if during that time something major happens within my game I expect my sims to be able to react to it naturally and I as the player will decide if I want to try and remedy the situation or let it play out for what it is, I do not expect to have to sit there and interfere with the game just so my sim can feel what they're actually *supposed* to be feeling in that situation in the first place.

Serious, life-effecting incidents like these should absolutely be buffed up higher, heck the "negative" emotions in general need stronger buffs because it is so freaking rare that sims I create to intentionally have these emotions will even have them. I can't remember the last time my hothead, hates children sim was actually angry enough about something to have that as their primary emotion without me having to force it. I made her with the intention of her being a furious, miserable mother of 5+ children but she is *always* happy. Even my sims in rags to riches challenges are permanently happy and they don't even have a house! Either that or EA needs to remove the buffs from the surrounding objects.
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Yes, this is so annoying. Especially when you want to get a certain emotion for work or school, like "Focused" for instance. I hope they address the problem soon enough.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    This is actually feedback. I don't think it needs to be toned down.

I think players need to consider how they make their builds. The point of using objects with high decor points is to change the mood to happiness in the room. I do use the buffs to change the mood of the rooms in my game. It is usually the most expensive objects that provide a happy mood buff. This buff stacks with other moodlets the Sim already has. If the Sim already has positive buffs along with the sadness ones, this moodlet will stack with the positive ones and get rid of the sadness buff.

Also, taking a regular bath does not create a playful buff. Sims only get the playful buff from bubble baths or play in the bath. Sims can take a regular bath without getting the buff.

But if they are taking a regular bath why do they waste all that time sitting in there playing? Don't you find those sort of animations that don't relate annoying? Just get on with it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2016
    Well the bubble bath also is used to relieve tension and to get over the pain of excessive exercise - so I really think it needs tuning. It is not designed to be just a place to get a playful buff. Just put a statue or crystal with the buff in the room -not add those emotional buffs to things that had purposes in the game forever. Just like having the most expensive furniture is supposed to make the sim see they have accomplished some degree of success - the better the furniture and decorations - so it should not be tied to emotional buffs either. I am apparently supposed to have my 10 th level top of the ladder worker live in a garbage heap just to not feel flirty? That's not right. They should have left the furniture and decor alone and not added a bunch of ridiculous emotion to these items. They didn't have them before and I never needed a play book to know how to decorate my sims house. They want the buff, put out all new stuff just for the buff and nothing else. Like the statues and crystals - I do not turn on their buffs and if they want buffs on furniture on top of their former uses make them be capable to be removed or shut off. I don't want a play book to play a doll house - period. The emotions are bogus enough as they are and so far all they have accomplished is create a lot of Chaos for veteran players. That way people who want that can run the things full bore - but technically they should offer options to things like established play items that already have a genuine use in the game for other things.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    This is getting ridiculous. One of my Sims, Juan, was feeling Confident and had a whim to practice speaking in the mirror. Then, as soon as he gets to the bathroom, his mood switches to Embarrassed. (No, he didn't walk in on anyone, but he must have earlier.) So his emotional whim switches to telling a self-deprecating joke. I direct him to do that, but before he reaches another Sim, Cecile, he becomes Confident again. This time, he wants to meet someone new at the lounge. So I take him to the lounge, but when he arrives, he's embarrassed again. He wants to tell another self-deprecating joke. I direct him to the mixologist to introduce himself and then tell a self-deprecating joke, but then he gets Confident again (before telling the joke) or possibly Inspired (I don't remember, and the colors are similar) and now he wants to make a group meal, which of course he can't do at the lounge, so I send him home, but not before clicking one of his non-emotional whims.

I don't know whether I enjoy the challenge of constantly-changing emotions or hate it. Still, I thought it would make an amusing read for everyone here.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    This is actually feedback. I don't think it needs to be toned down.

I think players need to consider how they make their builds. The point of using objects with high decor points is to change the mood to happiness in the room. I do use the buffs to change the mood of the rooms in my game. It is usually the most expensive objects that provide a happy mood buff. This buff stacks with other moodlets the Sim already has. If the Sim already has positive buffs along with the sadness ones, this moodlet will stack with the positive ones and get rid of the sadness buff.

Also, taking a regular bath does not create a playful buff. Sims only get the playful buff from bubble baths or play in the bath. Sims can take a regular bath without getting the buff.

But if they are taking a regular bath why do they waste all that time sitting in there playing? Don't you find those sort of animations that don't relate annoying? Just get on with it.

@Cinebar if you have spa day and use one of the baths with soaks, that playing with the water animation is not there. Instead it is a much more 'normal' animation and rather cute to watch actually. I have my suspicions that the 'base game' bath animations were purposely annoying. (All the better to push you into buying DLC mwaahaahaa >:) )

I do agree with SweetieTreats, in part, on the building aspect though. Depending on how you build you can keep your sims from becoming super happy etc and yet still have a really nice looking build. It would be so fantastic to be able to toggle on/off all environmental auras though as that would mean you could use the 'best' items and yet still have no buffs from them at all.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • sprootsproot Posts: 590 Member
    edited March 2016
    I highly agree with this. I was playing a few days ago and decided to move my active Sim's brother and his girlfriend into the household. The girlfriend got into the pool (I was busy controlling another Sim so I had no idea) and she was exhausted and drowned. So once that happened the camera does that thing where it automatically focuses on a dying Sim. The brother and his sister come out to witness the death and they were crying BUT the "nicely decorated" moodlet was overriding their grief and I couldn't click on the Grim Reaper to wail about the girlfriend's demise because both Sims were too happy due to the fact that the house was decorated and that they had eaten a good meal. I had to put in a cheat so that the brother would become sad so that he could wail about his girlfriend's demise to bring her back. -.-

Another thing happened where one of my Sims JUST got married and after the wedding was over, the dad stuck around and flirted with my Sim's wife. I've no idea why she accepted it because they didn't even know each other, and this happened in front of the husband, mind you! Of course he was very angry with her and I was pretty annoyed myself. I mean, c'mon! Once they arrived home I guess all was well because he was too flippin' happy to give a plum about his wife flirting with HIS FATHER. Sheeesh
    IMG-6587.gif
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,374 Member
    I don't know, but I thought this was a feature not an issue that needs to be fixed. But maybe I'm wrong.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    I have a problem with the game making things (trinkets, pictures, crystals) have more influence on sims that events and personal interactions.
    edited March 2016
    Kerwinkle wrote: »
    I highly agree with this. I was playing a few days ago and decided to move my active Sim's brother and his girlfriend into the household. The girlfriend got into the pool (I was busy controlling another Sim so I had no idea) and she was exhausted and drowned. So once that happened the camera does that thing where it automatically focuses on a dying Sim. The brother and his sister come out to witness the death and they were crying BUT the "nicely decorated" moodlet was overriding their grief and I couldn't click on the Grim Reaper to wail about the girlfriend's demise because both Sims were too happy due to the fact that the house was decorated and that they had eaten a good meal. I had to put in a cheat so that the brother would become sad so that he could wail about his girlfriend's demise to bring her back. -.-

Another thing happened where one of my Sims JUST got married and after the wedding was over, the dad stuck around and flirted with my Sim's wife. I've no idea why she accepted it because they didn't even know each other, and this happened in front of the husband, mind you! Of course he was very angry with her and I was pretty annoyed myself. I mean, c'mon! Once they arrived home I guess all was well because he was too flippin' happy to give a plum about his wife flirting with HIS FATHER. Sheeesh

This made me laugh! lol I know it must have been frustrating but sheesh... sims! :s Stahp wid da flirtin!
    This is getting ridiculous. One of my Sims, Juan, was feeling Confident and had a whim to practice speaking in the mirror. Then, as soon as he gets to the bathroom, his mood switches to Embarrassed. (No, he didn't walk in on anyone, but he must have earlier.) So his emotional whim switches to telling a self-deprecating joke. I direct him to do that, but before he reaches another Sim, Cecile, he becomes Confident again. This time, he wants to meet someone new at the lounge. So I take him to the lounge, but when he arrives, he's embarrassed again. He wants to tell another self-deprecating joke. I direct him to the mixologist to introduce himself and then tell a self-deprecating joke, but then he gets Confident again (before telling the joke) or possibly Inspired (I don't remember, and the colors are similar) and now he wants to make a group meal, which of course he can't do at the lounge, so I send him home, but not before clicking one of his non-emotional whims.

I don't know whether I enjoy the challenge of constantly-changing emotions or hate it. Still, I thought it would make an amusing read for everyone here.

Yeah, I feel that pain. I've had the same sort of thing go on too. Best thing I have found to do when my sims emotions are all over the place is to take a bath with soaks (and burn matching incense at the same time to prolong the moodlet )and just over-ride everything with one super strong emotion until all the other buffs wear off. I get super annoyed when my sim gets all psycho on me like that although it is sort of amusing at the same time!
    windweaver wrote: »
    I don't know, but I thought this was a feature not an issue that needs to be fixed. But maybe I'm wrong.

It is to a certain extent. I think the main problem is that sad moments become lost in the happy buffs and so make the game feel ridiculous. Otherwise I really enjoy the game play around emotions and getting my sim into the 'right' emotion for whatever I am directing him to do. But when unexpected things happen (ie death) I expect my sim to be (automatically) sad... I don't want him standing in front of his mothers/fathers/partners urn smiling from ear to ear. :neutral: Nope, that's just wrong and needs a dev's fix...

*Negative emotions in general need a higher value to they feel 'right' for the occasion. Like I've said before an initial +10 would solve a lot of these issues.

• sprootsproot Posts: 590 Member
    edited March 2016
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Kerwinkle wrote: »

This made me laugh! lol I know it must have been frustrating but sheesh... sims! :s Stahp wid da flirtin!

The next day I had my married Sim throw a drink at his dad! It was kinda satisfying :D
    IMG-6587.gif
  • NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    graventhe wrote: »
    It's been since the game released and EA didn't do anything to tweak this , it becoming really annoying , it should've been fixed a long ago
    Sims constantly changing their emotions every seconds or even half second!
    They go from sad to very happy in a second because there's 'nice decor' -_-
    really EA ?
    They go from embarrassed to very playful when just bathing
    That's not too of an issue for me

The one mostly annoying is when they go from very sad or sad to very happy because a nice decor around then when they go to a room with no decor they are sad again -_-

Seriously EA do something please

I agree. My family oriented sim went from sad to happy about six times in less than one sim hour because she didn't get pregant after trying for a baby and at the same time had a couple of positive moodlets from the environment, brushed teeth and so on. I thought it was very touching when I saw her sad and wanted to capture the story... but I couldn't get into it because the mood changed so fast. So terribly annoying.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    I agree -- the current workings of the emotions system could really use some tweaking. There are a number of things that I see wrong with it -- all just my own opinion, of course.

Some things I think might help a bit: I think that perhaps positive and negative moodlets need to combine in an additive fashion, rather than simply 'overcoming' as they do now. Going back to the Sadness from the death of a loved one example: You get a Sad 5 moodlet there, but you've got a string of small Happy moodlets that are totally cancelling it -- as soon as 'the Happies' add up to +6, the Sad is overcome and totally ignored. What I'm suggesting is that the overcome moodlet should never be ignored. It should, as a negative emotion, be a constant subtraction from the mood. So your +6 Happy, +5 Sad Sim would end up at a net positive score of +1 and only be in a basic Happy mood, not a +6 Very Happy in the end.

This could also benefit, IMO, from enlarging the Fine 'dead zone' a little bit. Rather than having Fine only exist at zero, it could be a range of three to five points (-1 to +1, or -2 to +2). Probably just a 3 point zone, as I get that the general idea is that Fine is dull and they generally want you to have some other Emotion up. But it would add a buffer zone so that (along with the positive and negatives working in an additive fashion) you wouldn't flip from one extreme to the other quite as readily.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member

This times eleventy-billion. There's no need for emotions to flip as quickly as they do. Objects or traits, let the emotions have a bit of time.

And as for negative buffs not being worth enough, here's a pic of my Sim literally standing on her boyfriend's corpse. You can see the sad moodlet in there, but she's so flirty she's about to try to flirt with Death. She never mourned him at all.

04-05-15_9-33nbspPM_zps7ykbgglk.png

This is only the second death I've had in the game, but neither time did any of my Sims even notice. The other time a townie died on my kitchen floor while my family was eating. They chatted with Death a little, then spent the rest of the night walking around the urn until I deleted it.

Remember in TS3 if you witnessed a death - even if it was a stranger townie - your Sim felt sad? They even stopped what they were doing sometimes just to have a quick cry. You had to actively try to do things to try to keep them happy - you know, like you do in real life with something bad happens to you and you are sad. No one has ever said 'I'm devastated my spouse died - ooh look! I'm outside now! All better!'
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Piperbird wrote: »

This times eleventy-billion. There's no need for emotions to flip as quickly as they do. Objects or traits, let the emotions have a bit of time.

And as for negative buffs not being worth enough, here's a pic of my Sim literally standing on her boyfriend's corpse. You can see the sad moodlet in there, but she's so flirty she's about to try to flirt with Death. She never mourned him at all.

This is only the second death I've had in the game, but neither time did any of my Sims even notice. The other time a townie died on my kitchen floor while my family was eating. They chatted with Death a little, then spent the rest of the night walking around the urn until I deleted it.

Remember in TS3 if you witnessed a death - even if it was a stranger townie - your Sim felt sad? They even stopped what they were doing sometimes just to have a quick cry. You had to actively try to do things to try to keep them happy - you know, like you do in real life with something bad happens to you and you are sad. No one has ever said 'I'm devastated my spouse died - ooh look! I'm outside now! All better!'
    It doesn't even look like she has a sad buff at all. Aren't the sad ones dark blue, and the light blue ones confident?
    Anyway, as for the bolded part, I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member

This is when you would need to use the calculation method to see if will be worth it to do that emotional whim. Usually it's good to do an emotional whim (let's say for a focus one) when you have about 2-3 focus or boosted focus moodlets, because this will last longer and will not switch over to a different one immediately.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Piperbird wrote: »

It doesn't even look like she has a sad buff at all. Aren't the sad ones dark blue, and the light blue ones confident?
    Anyway, as for the bolded part, I couldn't have said it better myself.

You may be exactly right, it might be confidant. It was a long time ago, but I remember thinking it was strange she didn't seem bothered by it.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    Another idea came to me about a possibility for tweaking the emotion system: I think of it as a 'significance' system. (Originally, the term 'magnitude' came to mind, but 'significance' fits the reasoning better.) Essentially, the strengths of individual buffs would represent their significance. Big, significant events give large buff values in a single buff. Small environmental buffs are generally +1s and are basically insignificant by comparison. Then you establish rules that better define how buffs of different significance can interact.

For instance: Low significance buffs cannot override a buff of greater significance that is 3 points or more above the largest of these lesser buffs. (That number may need tweaking -- just an example.)

So what that means for the Sad +5 example from a death in the family: A gaggle of small +1 and +2 environmental buffs would not override the +5 Sad buff, even though they collectively added up to +6. At least one of the lesser buffs would have to be a +3 buff before it would be able to override (still given sufficient other stacking buffs to beat the +5 and all).

This would make it so individual buff values would relate to their significance. The event that generates a singular +5 is certainly a great deal more significant than a number of 'nice' +1 buffs from environmental effects. Obviously the significance of the one big event should outweigh even a number of items of relative insignificance.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • GamerKitty2004GamerKitty2004 Posts: 5 New Member
    What I hate about the emotions in the Sims 4 is HOW EASILY THEY BECOME HYSTERICAL!!!! Then my sims always DIE just because they had a bath, were watching some T.V, or were talking to a friend and ended up joking around with them. Every time I play, I have to exit the game without saving at least once because a sim laughed to death.
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    What I hate about the emotions in the Sims 4 is HOW EASILY THEY BECOME HYSTERICAL!!!! Then my sims always DIE just because they had a bath, were watching some T.V, or were talking to a friend and ended up joking around with them. Every time I play, I have to exit the game without saving at least once because a sim laughed to death.

SAME. Infact I had one Sim nearly die of hysteria on his wedding day! I had to pull Larry aside to a mirror to calm himself down.

BTW - Larry's last name is Laffer (pronounced "laugher"), which is what ALMOST killed him. Kinda ironic, ain't it?
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2017
    It is a sad world where a character can die from being too happy - if you think about it. So much for the saying that laughter is the best medicine. Not in the Sims 4.

They really need to get rid of those emotional deaths - who really wants to live in a world without emotions anyway? Why would people want to play in such a world? That was a really bad idea for a Sims game.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ratsrbestratsrbest Posts: 579 Member
    Can I squeak up about Sims being Tense?

Now there's something I can do without. They slam the fridge door, they kick at things and whine at me. So they had a hard day at work and they want some fun. Well, it's my game, I paid for it. Where's the fun for me while they have their hissy fit?

And look at the suggested solutions to the problem:

Go on holiday to Granite Falls: er, No.

Take a day off work: you've only just come in from work. You can't have a day off 'til tomorrow.

Have a sauna: you don't have a sauna and there's no spa in town.

Have a bath: you don't own a bath tub.

Vent to someone: you live alone and it's too late for visitors.

Have a shower / vent in front of mirror: finally...

B)
    Don't feed the trolls
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,452 Member
    @StarlingGray They reduced death by a lot because players thought it too hard to keep their Sims alive in the Sims 3. I hope they don't reduce the amount for the bills because right now, I think they are just right. Many players are complaining it is too hard for Sims to make money and the bills are too high.

@Piperbird The picture you showed with the Sim being outdoors shows two happy moodlets and two angry moodlets. It is hard to tell if it is correct in your game from the picture.

But it should not completely switch over to a new emotion. +2 Focus should not overpower +5 Inspired. If I take a shower, look at a painting, and drink tea to get into the correct mood for work, it should not just change to Focused, cancelling everything I just did for the last two hours. Does your Sim have an emotional trait that gives off the focused emotion? This sounds like they have the emotional trait that gives off the focused emotion.

Sims3? I certainly didn't have this problem EVER in Sims3. Now, if you meant Sims2, I would agree. However, that's what makes a game fun, at least for me. Sims3 and Sims4 have been toned down too far, in my opinion. I need more of a challenge, so to speak. But, that's not for everyone I guess. EA must have ceded to the majority on this one. Ghosts are far too friendly, (Casper, anyone?). I have been playing this iteration since release and I've yet to have a single Sim perish due to an emotion. I may regret it, but I would like to have it happen at least once. (Responding to the sentence I put in bold.)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • PotterheadSimPotterheadSim Posts: 320 Member
    Nicely decorated, loves outdoors and those types of moodlets are so not important..
    Hope they fix this, it really does get annoying.
    It doesn't matter if your spouse died as long as it's nicely decorated.