Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which graphic style do you prefer Sims 3 or 4?

Comments

• Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people fall for the fact CAS in Sims 4 is better and it's clearly easier to create different types of faces (most important: ethnics are way better). That added to the fact using sliders seems to be hard for people and many played the game on lower settings (which has a worse result than Sims 4 on lower settings) will make Sims 4 a winner to many in the sims department. I wonder though what the verdict would be if they'd put that CAS into a game with Sims 3 textures and art style. I can't help thinking that would change a lot of minds. All this talk about uncanny valley, when at the same time people have been stuffing their games with realistic skins and hairstyles ever since Sims 2 came out. I just don't buy it.

I agree with you about uncanny valley... meh. Uncanny valley is not in TS3 or TS4, it really is meant to be about something altogether. Someone posted a picture from another game where the graphics were just creepy, some taxi driver turning his head ... it was horrifying.. that is uncanny valley, when animations and art style clash and the result is a character that is nearly life like but horrifyingly incorrect.

Interesting point about putting ts4 CAS into ts3. For me to fully agree I'd still need the smoothness of the sims actions for it to completely win me over. (That and my sims 3 sims to stop booing their lover the next morning..omg that bugs me so much)

*edited... umm..why is this in ts3 section now?? lol :joy:

I finally downloaded a mod at TFM Asylum (registration required) by Shimrod called "awareness animations disabled" that disables that among others. It doesn't disable animations that are trait-related, but point and laugh one is horrible! (It's triggered by them being seen in their sleepwear, I think.)

I might consider that, thanks! I have TS3 modded up, mainly with nraas stuff so one more won't make a difference! I don't know why but that one animation (the point and laugh at my lover) really annoys me, far more than bugs and such. lol It makes me want to drown my own sim!

Make sure if you go check it out to read Shimrod's description - it is hilarious. :D
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    edited February 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people fall for the fact CAS in Sims 4 is better and it's clearly easier to create different types of faces (most important: ethnics are way better). That added to the fact using sliders seems to be hard for people and many played the game on lower settings (which has a worse result than Sims 4 on lower settings) will make Sims 4 a winner to many in the sims department. I wonder though what the verdict would be if they'd put that CAS into a game with Sims 3 textures and art style. I can't help thinking that would change a lot of minds. All this talk about uncanny valley, when at the same time people have been stuffing their games with realistic skins and hairstyles ever since Sims 2 came out. I just don't buy it.

I agree with you about uncanny valley... meh. Uncanny valley is not in TS3 or TS4, it really is meant to be about something altogether. Someone posted a picture from another game where the graphics were just creepy, some taxi driver turning his head ... it was horrifying.. that is uncanny valley, when animations and art style clash and the result is a character that is nearly life like but horrifyingly incorrect.

Interesting point about putting ts4 CAS into ts3. For me to fully agree I'd still need the smoothness of the sims actions for it to completely win me over. (That and my sims 3 sims to stop booing their lover the next morning..omg that bugs me so much)

*edited... umm..why is this in ts3 section now?? lol :joy:

I finally downloaded a mod at TFM Asylum (registration required) by Shimrod called "awareness animations disabled" that disables that among others. It doesn't disable animations that are trait-related, but point and laugh one is horrible! (It's triggered by them being seen in their sleepwear, I think.)

I might consider that, thanks! I have TS3 modded up, mainly with nraas stuff so one more won't make a difference! I don't know why but that one animation (the point and laugh at my lover) really annoys me, far more than bugs and such. lol It makes me want to drown my own sim!

Make sure if you go check it out to read Shimrod's description - it is hilarious. :D

Off to do that right now then! :):+1:

*edited: @HappySimmer3 lmao that description is just brilliant and exactly what I have been thinking about my sim!
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    The_SimScraperThe_SimScraper Posts: 2,083 Member
    lovejess2 wrote: »
    I prefer TS4 mainly because of the Sims but Windenburg is stunning! I don't know I just think TS4 matches the series 'style' more. I know my Sim has a CC hair but it's Maxis match and I just love TS4 Sims <3
    Cbx5AvpW4AIxZsN.jpg:large

@The_SimScraper I really love her hair where is it from.

It's from http://sims4updates.net/hairstyles/medium-soft-wavy-at-my-stuff/ @lovejess2 :) It's SO cute!
    Cb2VIsKWwAAMu-V.jpg:large
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    lovejess2 wrote: »
    I prefer TS4 mainly because of the Sims but Windenburg is stunning! I don't know I just think TS4 matches the series 'style' more. I know my Sim has a CC hair but it's Maxis match and I just love TS4 Sims <3
    Cbx5AvpW4AIxZsN.jpg:large

@The_SimScraper I really love her hair where is it from.

It's from http://sims4updates.net/hairstyles/medium-soft-wavy-at-my-stuff/ @lovejess2 :) It's SO cute!
    Cb2VIsKWwAAMu-V.jpg:large

gah I love it! Gorgeous!
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I was wondering too why this was moved to the T3 section. I'm pretty sure it didn't start there. I'm glad someone else mentioned it I was feeling kinda confused.

@Hermitgirl They like to do that ;) Move the nastier threads comparing the two over here. I think because they tend to die here. I don't know if we have less die hard trolls... LOL or what. But I do feel like the TS3 board has a bit more people who are more "Eh, Live and let live man." <snort>
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    This is NOT meant to turn into a flame war or a fight - I'm genuinely curious as to what people think!

I was just curious as to what iteration you think has the better graphics? Sims 3 or Sims 4? ...
    Then why didn't you set up a poll?
  • Options
    wbombjewbombje Posts: 1,244 Member
    Thank you! @JoAnne65 @Mstybl95 and @CravenLestat

@CravenLestat Sorry that I left out Sophie. I feel that she is far from "pudding face," but I think that I wanted to show that the thin-faced style with high cheek bones look of Sims 4 is completely achievable without custom sliders or Photoshop in TS3.

Here is a photo of Sophie in Isla Paradiso:

24580543903_dff41a661a_c.jpg

And here is the redhead, Quita, eating waffles on a couch. I love this photo:

24285469915_f4e5319312_c.jpg

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread, but I guess it's semi-relevant because they are TS3 graphics :)
    Ayq5S7Y.png
  • Options
    Peach77Peach77 Posts: 313 Member
    This is probably a whole can of worms that no one wants to open, but when I look at TS4, I find it similar to the way World of Warcraft designed their model updates.

This picture compares some of the old WoW models to the new WoW models. Of the face shots, only the upper left is the old model. The hair texture, wide eyed look on the face, and angle of the corners of the lips especially remind me of TS4. Considering that TS4 and the WoD expansion were released in the same season, it just seems to be the popular look for 2014. Market and demographic research probably led both teams in the same direction.

394445.jpg

Frankly, even the "bark" (or lack thereof) on the trees and smooth, blurry texture of the rocks in this picture remind me of Elwynn Forest circa 2004. If I'm going to play a game with that aesthetic, I will go play one where I can also rock some pixel violence and fly around on a dragon.
    Cb2VIsKWwAAMu-V.jpg:small
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Someone just posted this picture in another thread. This shows one of my pet peeves about TS4.

Things that should be round never really are and look at the bend in the fork.

Cb5xYs5W8AESpI7.png
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited February 2016
    @Wbombje :o I have not seen this one of Sophie before. <3 Such a cute sim she is always happy too.and smiling.Do not think you ever had one of her where she is not happy about life.Love her.How can you be hijacking a thread about artstyle when you are posting pics of the games artstyle you love.

24580543903_dff41a661a_c.jpg

EDIT In all my simming have never recolored that outfit,always have used the default rainbowish green yellow red thing.Nice pattern it looks cute on that outfit.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Someone just posted this picture in another thread. This shows one of my pet peeves about TS4.

Cb5xYs5W8AESpI7.png
    Yes, there's a strange discrepancy in the game concerning graphics.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    RoffeyGleshRoffeyGlesh Posts: 579 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »
    This is NOT meant to turn into a flame war or a fight - I'm genuinely curious as to what people think!

I was just curious as to what iteration you think has the better graphics? Sims 3 or Sims 4? ...
    Then why didn't you set up a poll?

Because I wasn't aware we could set up polls. I was just interested in peoples opinions.
  • Options
    RoachantRoachant Posts: 25 Member
    I prefer the sims 3, however, after seeing some of these pics, I will most definitely give the sims 4 a try again! Some of those sims 4 pics are gorgeous. I'm really hoping the next expansion for the sims 4 will blow me over to give it a go again.
  • Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    TS4

TS3's shading and style had always weirded me out
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    chocoruchocoru Posts: 61 Member
    i would say i like both i really can't choose. for realism i go with TS3 for softness and clarity TS4. my biggest dislike with TS4 is the hairs and how they all look like shiney plastic helmets.
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    The graphic style of the sims 4 is babyish. The grass has no detail and is blurry. Everything looks plastic. The style is leaning towards the Japanese animation type thing, like Astro Boy, Final Fantasy etc which has nothing wrong with it in games that are that, but the sims is not.
    Even the sims 2 had detail to the grass, and when your grass in Sims 2 went blurry, you knew your game was getting tired or too big and your computer couldn't handle the graphics.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    pr0x1mapr0x1ma Posts: 5,898 Member
    I personally prefer the look at TS3. My aesthetic is realism in my games. TS4 looks too cartoonish and kind of plastic. I also don't care much for the bright colors.
    tumblr_mr2v3r8OEc1rsik0po1_400.gif
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    edited March 2016
    I actually prefer The Sims 4's visual style, as it sort of fits the theme of the franchise, but it could've been given some enhancements such as higher polygon counts, flowing hair animations and more variation with some other animations. However the 2D houses and buildings for backdrops is a bit ridiculous.
    Post edited by MMX on
  • Options
    deadhaus123deadhaus123 Posts: 475 Member
    edited March 2016
    I don't know the sky in Sims 4 depresses me. It's too blue or unnaturally saturated. Also I could never play in a town that has 2d houses as a backdrop. The cartoon effect does nothing for me and the trees with all there pink and green are not very realistic either. I will say however that the Sims themselves are perhaps more detailed out of the box, but once you start using HQ mods and custom skins, I think the Sims 3 pulls away in that category also.
    [img][/img]UjBiOYQ.jpg
  • Options
    ECrafters99ECrafters99 Posts: 99 Member
    Sims 4 for me

It runs faster on my computer.
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
  • Options
    deadhaus123deadhaus123 Posts: 475 Member
    edited March 2016
    Sims 4 for me

It runs faster on my computer.

Tetris also runs smooth maybe it's time for an upgrade to play the previous iteration ?
    [img][/img]UjBiOYQ.jpg
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

Cb5xYs5W8AESpI7.png

OMG I never noticed how bad the forks are. LOL Having octagon shaped pans was enough for me and the chipmunks that look like picachu. Its horrible
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I don't like the look of Sims 4. It's too cartoony and reminds me of a children's game not The Sims. I think they should have taken a cue from TSM, I like the blended style that game. So I guess you could say I like Sims 3 over all look better than Sims 4. Plus, it doesn't hurt my eyes and gives me a migraine.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

Cb5xYs5W8AESpI7.png

OMG I never noticed how bad the forks are. LOL Having octagon shaped pans was enough for me and the chipmunks that look like picachu. Its horrible

Those chipmunks look nothing like Pikachu?? Like Pikachu is adorable don't insult him like that.

I prefer sims 4 art style more. Sims 3 gave me a headache to look at for too long, especially the constant glowing on objects that shouldn't glow like chairs?
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png