Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which graphic style do you prefer Sims 3 or 4?

Comments

• Options
    RoffeyGleshRoffeyGlesh Posts: 579 Member
    edited February 2016
    I can't believe how much discussion this has raised. Very interesting points, guys.

EDIT: Not sure why the mods put this in The Sims 3 section when its comparing The Sims 3 and 4, but whatever!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I think the moderators maybe get a bit fed up with the heated comparison thing going on in the other section. The atmosphere is a bit more mellow here.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited February 2016
    @Wbombje You already know am a fan of your Sim Nina I can spot her a mile away <3 such a good sim,but THAT REDHEAD THO :love:

And Sophie is good too but you did not show her :'( Sophie needs love too.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    RoffeyGleshRoffeyGlesh Posts: 579 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I think the moderators maybe get a bit fed up with the heated comparison thing going on in the other section. The atmosphere is a bit more mellow here.

Agreed, much more chilled this neck of the woods haha! :) Sorry guys never meant for it to get really heated!
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    wbombje wrote: »
    I don't hate on either style, but I prefer the Sims 3.

I can understand why some people may like the cartoon style of TS4, though. As far as pudding face goes, I think I understand what people mean, but I love to create my own Sims and I feel that I have been able to create a lot of Sims that don't have what I understand to be "pudding face" or a "doughy" face. I have created them without any facial sliders that aren't already part of the game. I obviously use CC hair and make-up, though.

Maybe some may disagree, but here are some examples of beautiful and interesting looking Sims created without any CC face-sliders or mods:

24447891966_99319aa761.jpg

23629227669_af7d19e3d3.jpg

23698674431_61e3ba4e9e.jpg

23698455461_6f86512dfd.jpg

23135500164_29f6d2fef2.jpg

23394108670_a4a40cf7ea.jpg

These are awesome sims!

It sucks that people complain about pudding faces for TS3. All you had to do was make your own sims and then no pudding. It was Maxis who made them look like that.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I do not like the cartoon, plastic style of Sims4. It is supposed to be life simulation game and looks like they combined lego figures with puppets (the type from Rudolph movie) to get Sims4 sims. :( I much prefer Sim3. With just a little work in CAS they don't have to look like premades that so many complain about. I much prefer to make my own anyway then use the EA sims. I love the creative process that Sims3 allows and just could not bear looking at what I created in Sims4 when I got the trial.
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    I prefer TS3 honestly. There are parts of TS4 that I like, but right out of the hop I ended up having to get CC for TS4... which is really the start of my CC obsession that leaked over to TS3.

I won't get into what I prefer from either game and stick straight to Aesthetic. I think Ts4 is a PERFECT game if you prefer very stylized characters. There is one tumblr that does a whole 'alien' series and her sims and sets are quite stunning. It fits really well, as do other very stylized characters.. the kind with red noses and ears and elflike attributes. IF you like a more realistic game... then no... its not as tailorable as TS3.

(so HARD to find similar pics, these are all gameplay. Not posed, no editing)

My completely CC laden guy in TS4 (and don't get me wrong! I really liked him)
    25102833891_14225c52e6_o.png

Body detail.
    25078299722_fd82236805_o.jpg

Even when you take Post-Processing off of TS4 (which I did play for a long time) there is a smoothness.. that is not my cup of tea. Like I said, it really suits SOME.

Typical sim4 faces, and yes these both had CC. Both dark haired boys are 2nd gen in-game born sims. Not tweaked by me, other than use of makeup.
    24569208003_2d20db4c2a_o.png

25078320672_03d800f571_o.jpg

TS4 girl, and she was one of my favorites. So I'm not tearing her apart LOL other than just showing that... I just like the aesthetic I can get with TS3 better. CC of course.
    25102765651_f51dbd9a5f_o.png

25103567781_62c62ffc60_o.jpg

I am also 100% not sold on the whole "Uncanny Valley" thing. If that was the case that people are way too creeped out to play with realistic sims/characters then exactly whyyyyyy have so many of the BIG games gone towards extreme realism? I.E. Fallout, Mass Effect and other such games. So my main issue is that TS4 just has a lack of options. HUGE lack of options. Its harder to use the same sims and go from realistic to cartoony. I feel like TS3 can do either. You want to stick with un-CC'd sims, or more charicatured sims... then they still work within the world. You want some hyper-realistic sims? They also fit into the world really well.

Last aesthetic issue. BOTH these world were completely empty when I started re-making them. The first is TS3 obviously, and edited ignore that. In the background you can see a futuristic building and colourful trees. I put those there, on the other side of the bridge is complete mayhem. Run down buildings... garbage etc. It all stays like that no matter how far away from the sims I get.. or if I leave them there I can go take pictures in other parts of the world that are actually there.
    25134522065_215076d1e9_o.jpg

Empty world that I wanted to start up a "gothic victorian" world. I cleared the entire world, put new houses that would FIT this theme. Pullback.. and BAM. Ruined. Thanks horrible backdrop and houses that aren't really there. Game ruined.
    25077816882_94953b0de0_o.png

So yeah.... BUT I have to make a huge plug for Nenpysims on tumblr because her TS4 world is beautifully stylistic and her sims are amazingly interesting.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    PikminWPikminW Posts: 169 Member
    I have to say I like Sims 4's Style most but Sims 3's Freedom drags me down to it. Furthermore, Sims 2's animations and craziness drive me to play it!
    When will my reflection show?
    0f6_zpsnz47jegb.gif
  • Options
    dw4518dw4518 Posts: 263 Member
    for furniture and objects, I prefer TS3. for sims, TS4
  • Options
    I think a lot of people fall for the fact CAS in Sims 4 is better and it's clearly easier to create different types of faces (most important: ethnics are way better). That added to the fact using sliders seems to be hard for people and many played the game on lower settings (which has a worse result than Sims 4 on lower settings) will make Sims 4 a winner to many in the sims department. I wonder though what the verdict would be if they'd put that CAS into a game with Sims 3 textures and art style. I can't help thinking that would change a lot of minds. All this talk about uncanny valley, when at the same time people have been stuffing their games with realistic skins and hairstyles ever since Sims 2 came out. I just don't buy it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I prefer TS3 honestly. There are parts of TS4 that I like, but right out of the hop I ended up having to get CC for TS4... which is really the start of my CC obsession that leaked over to TS3.

I won't get into what I prefer from either game and stick straight to Aesthetic. I think Ts4 is a PERFECT game if you prefer very stylized characters. There is one tumblr that does a whole 'alien' series and her sims and sets are quite stunning. It fits really well, as do other very stylized characters.. the kind with red noses and ears and elflike attributes. IF you like a more realistic game... then no... its not as tailorable as TS3.

(so HARD to find similar pics, these are all gameplay. Not posed, no editing)

My completely CC laden guy in TS4 (and don't get me wrong! I really liked him)
    25102833891_14225c52e6_o.png

Body detail.
    25078299722_fd82236805_o.jpg

Even when you take Post-Processing off of TS4 (which I did play for a long time) there is a smoothness.. that is not my cup of tea. Like I said, it really suits SOME.

Typical sim4 faces, and yes these both had CC. Both dark haired boys are 2nd gen in-game born sims. Not tweaked by me, other than use of makeup.
    24569208003_2d20db4c2a_o.png

25078320672_03d800f571_o.jpg

TS4 girl, and she was one of my favorites. So I'm not tearing her apart LOL other than just showing that... I just like the aesthetic I can get with TS3 better. CC of course.
    25102765651_f51dbd9a5f_o.png

25103567781_62c62ffc60_o.jpg

I am also 100% not sold on the whole "Uncanny Valley" thing. If that was the case that people are way too creeped out to play with realistic sims/characters then exactly whyyyyyy have so many of the BIG games gone towards extreme realism? I.E. Fallout, Mass Effect and other such games. So my main issue is that TS4 just has a lack of options. HUGE lack of options. Its harder to use the same sims and go from realistic to cartoony. I feel like TS3 can do either. You want to stick with un-CC'd sims, or more charicatured sims... then they still work within the world. You want some hyper-realistic sims? They also fit into the world really well.

Last aesthetic issue. BOTH these world were completely empty when I started re-making them. The first is TS3 obviously, and edited ignore that. In the background you can see a futuristic building and colourful trees. I put those there, on the other side of the bridge is complete mayhem. Run down buildings... garbage etc. It all stays like that no matter how far away from the sims I get.. or if I leave them there I can go take pictures in other parts of the world that are actually there.
    25134522065_215076d1e9_o.jpg

Empty world that I wanted to start up a "gothic victorian" world. I cleared the entire world, put new houses that would FIT this theme. Pullback.. and BAM. Ruined. Thanks horrible backdrop and houses that aren't really there. Game ruined.
    25077816882_94953b0de0_o.png

So yeah.... BUT I have to make a huge plug for Nenpysims on tumblr because her TS4 world is beautifully stylistic and her sims are amazingly interesting.
    I agree with about everythng you say. Clicking that link: correct me if I'm wrng but I notice a lot of photoshopping there. I love photoshopping in Sims when it's done right, but it has little to do with the actual game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    edited February 2016
    Sims in Sims 3 are not Sims to me lol. They're too big, just too different from Sims 2 simmies. The sims in 4 are sims again to me. :) I like everything about them; the way they move, their voices, etc.
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    @JoAnne65 Oh definitely, definitely photoshop/editing going on. IMO though the sims that she's made really FIT with the game though. I've seen a lot of people trying to get the same type of realism in TS4 with their human sims, and it quite often... doesn't look quite right. TS4 fits a cartoony stylized sim perfectly. With that said you can get some very nice CC to get some very realistic interiors.. but once you add in the sim.. it looses its realism.

One of the major problem I found when jumping back and forth from TS3-Ts4 is that while it is easier on a level to get diverse ethnicities in TS4, the tailoring of the individual is far weaker than TS3. Makeup can't be changed in opacity, neither can face masks (at least not when I was making sims in TS4). So you get a lot of same looking sims, because you can't quite control the level of the mask or the makeup etc. Hair colours are also difficult because you have to either go with the set # or DL a million CC hairs and then to get the same colours in different styles you have to really search or stick with the same creators.

Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited February 2016
    I highly dislike the overly cartoon art style of TS4. Of course the sims series has never been a realistic game, but that doesn't mean that everyone has to play it like a Disney cartoon, either. I sure don't, and never have in fact, not since TS1 and even then I used to have my sims do every day 'normal people simulation' things. I never play much at all with occults or magic or any of that.

I don't necessarily want an ultra realistic look either like they have in some other games out there but they definitely went too far for me on their cartoony looks and behavior in TS4. So 4's art style as well as their cartoony behavior (over-the-top facial expressions, manic social behavior, etc.) is about as far from what I would have preferred in a new Sims game as anything I could imagine. Unless they went back to 2D like Simsfreeplay, then that would be farther. :D

I really think they need to consider making two sims games, one for high-end computer users with open world, lots of customization and state of the art graphics, and a simple cartoony version for the people who don't care about open world and just want cartoony sims to play with. I doubt I would be one of them, but I'm sure a lot of people would play both!
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    @GaiaHypothesis Yes, for me the cartoony approach even is the only way to appreciate those sims. Their behaviour in the game irritated me less when I played my sims with overdone features, I really liked them. So I could live with them really, if the game would be more fun to play. The fact remains though that on a personal basis I prefer this game in a more realistic way. Not entirely, I love to make fun of my sims and I'm having a blast with yours for example (who do the strangest things :p ), but for me the comical aspect is stronger because they look like real people. That's really personal though, not criticism.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    edited February 2016
    I think a lot of people fall for the fact CAS in Sims 4 is better and it's clearly easier to create different types of faces (most important: ethnics are way better). That added to the fact using sliders seems to be hard for people and many played the game on lower settings (which has a worse result than Sims 4 on lower settings) will make Sims 4 a winner to many in the sims department. I wonder though what the verdict would be if they'd put that CAS into a game with Sims 3 textures and art style. I can't help thinking that would change a lot of minds. All this talk about uncanny valley, when at the same time people have been stuffing their games with realistic skins and hairstyles ever since Sims 2 came out. I just don't buy it.

I agree with you about uncanny valley... meh. Uncanny valley is not in TS3 or TS4, it really is meant to be about something altogether. Someone posted a picture from another game where the graphics were just creepy, some taxi driver turning his head ... it was horrifying.. that is uncanny valley, when animations and art style clash and the result is a character that is nearly life like but horrifyingly incorrect.

Interesting point about putting ts4 CAS into ts3. For me to fully agree I'd still need the smoothness of the sims actions for it to completely win me over. (That and my sims 3 sims to stop booing their lover the next morning..omg that bugs me so much)

*edited... umm..why is this in ts3 section now?? lol :joy:
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    I highly dislike the overly cartoon art style of TS4. Of course the sims series has never been a realistic game, but that doesn't mean that everyone has to play it like a Disney cartoon, either. I sure don't, and never have in fact, not since TS1 and even then I used to have my sims do every day 'normal people simulation' things. I never play much at all with occults or magic or any of that.

I don't necessarily want an ultra realistic look either like they have in some other games out there but they definitely went too far for me on their cartoony looks and behavior in TS4. So 4's art style as well as their cartoony behavior (over-the-top facial expressions, manic social behavior, etc.) is about as far from what I would have preferred in a new Sims game as anything I could imagine. Unless they went back to 2D like Simsfreeplay, then that would be farther. :D

I really think they need to consider making two sims games, one for high-end computer users with open world, lots of customization and state of the art graphics, and a simple cartoony version for the people who don't care about open world and just want cartoony sims to play with. I doubt I would be one of them, but I'm sure a lot of people would play both!
    I would be really interesting to see which game would have the better sales. Because I wouldn't be surprised if it would be the high end version. Completely with you btw.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

I agree with you about uncanny valley... meh. Uncanny valley is not in TS3 or TS4, it really is meant to be about something altogether. Someone posted a picture from another game where the graphics were just creepy, some taxi driver turning his head ... it was horrifying.. that is uncanny valley, when animations and art style clash and the result is a character that is nearly life like but horrifyingly incorrect.

Interesting point about putting ts4 CAS into ts3. For me to fully agree I'd still need the smoothness of the sims actions for it to completely win me over. (That and my sims 3 sims to stop booing their lover the next morning..omg that bugs me so much)

That was me :#
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

That was me :#

LOL..oh well, then you know exactly what I'm saying! :blush:

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    The Sims 3 (and can I say 2 too?) because the sims 4 look way to cartoonish and it just...I really don't like it!
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    The Sims 3 (and can I say 2 too?) because the sims 4 look way to cartoonish and it just...I really don't like it!

So why do you have a sims4 ava?
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    GITTE2001 wrote: »

So why do you have a sims4 ava?

I tried it, plus it's my sim self and my husband...I just never got toward changing it. *shrug*
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member

I finally downloaded a mod at TFM Asylum (registration required) by Shimrod called "awareness animations disabled" that disables that among others. It doesn't disable animations that are trait-related, but point and laugh one is horrible! (It's triggered by them being seen in their sleepwear, I think.)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options

I finally downloaded a mod at TFM Asylum (registration required) by Shimrod called "awareness animations disabled" that disables that among others. It doesn't disable animations that are trait-related, but point and laugh one is horrible! (It's triggered by them being seen in their sleepwear, I think.)

I might consider that, thanks! I have TS3 modded up, mainly with nraas stuff so one more won't make a difference! I don't know why but that one animation (the point and laugh at my lover) really annoys me, far more than bugs and such. lol It makes me want to drown my own sim!

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I was wondering too why this was moved to the T3 section. I'm pretty sure it didn't start there. I'm glad someone else mentioned it I was feeling kinda confused.
    egTcBMc.png