Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which graphic style do you prefer Sims 3 or 4?

Comments

• ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Def. the Sims 4. I love the cartoonish look. The cartoon feel is the best for the game. I feel that the Sims series is a parody of real life and it does need that mock up feel to it, if you know what I mean. As soon as it looks too real I will freak out.
    giphy.gif
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Well I do love how sims look more in this game but feel the rest is okay
    but think the sims 3 was done so much better for my taste!
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited February 2016
    For the Sims themselves, Sims 4. For the world background in the distance, Sims 3 - but I wouldn't want to see that combined with the Sims 4 Sims, and to me the Sims matter more. I think that I'm also biased toward Sims 3 that way because of Seasons: add seasonal weather to Sims 4, and that might tip it the rest of the way for me. I also prefer the Sims 4 soundscape and lighting, so the more I think about it, the more I realize that what I miss from Sims 3 is pretty much weather.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • JaysWrxldJaysWrxld Posts: 618 Member
    Sims 4. The characters look ultimatley realistic. If you make a certian race for them, you can tell which race it is.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2016
    Piperbird wrote: »
    Why would people want plastic, fake, cartoons over Sims that look like real people?

Simple.

It's a preference/taste thing. No one thinks the same, or likes the same things.

Some of us like our cartoons and anime, etc. *points at my own anime avatar*

Show me a person who looks like a TS3 sim and I'll show you a prime candidate for plastic surgery. TS2 and TS4 sims can be made to look like real people, can TS3 do this?

TS3 doesn't look real at all. Instead it looks unnatural. If "real" is what the game is going for, perhaps that is why TS3 sims always take me to uncanny valley. :fearful:
    Real people with plastic hair and no eyelashes? I think with Sims 3 in fact you can achieve the most realistic look if that's what you're aiming for, I can imagine a real person looking like my avatar guy (and not needing plastic surgery as far as I'm concerned). I can also imagine people looking like Sims 4 avatars here, from a distance, but in game? Not so much. The question is: is that really the goal. It is important to me, the realistic look, but I find that more in 3 than in 4. In 2 I don't find it at all but I play that game vanilla. I've seen some real realistic CC.

You're contradicting yourself by the way. Uncanny Vally means realistic.
    5JZ57S6.png
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I dunno. I think the detailing in S4 is really starting to shine through. I love this little onesie because of the detail. The "pilling" of the fabric makes it look like it is a well-worn, well-loved outfit.

02-21-16_11-04-02nbspAM_zps31m23wpg.png
    That's graphics, not art style. That look on her face though...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I dunno. I think the detailing in S4 is really starting to shine through. I love this little onesie because of the detail. The "pilling" of the fabric makes it look like it is a well-worn, well-loved outfit.

I agree... it's lovely. Pretty child :+1:
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
    KatsKats wrote: »
    I prefer Sims 4, mostly because Sims 3 Sims looked so doughy. Sims 2, it's hard to compare now because those are old graphics. Great at the time, but so out of date now.

I dunno... if you allow for the continued updates in CC from the active TS2 community, I think comparisons are still fair. There is so much variety in style allowed for TS2, so even if you're not a maxis match fan (like myself) you can still find the CC to create a sim that suits you, and moreover the TS2 world can be made to complement that style. I think that's an important point because realistic style doesn't look right in TS4 which may ruin game play for some players. I have no idea how changing styles for sims looks in TS3.

TS2 vs TS3 vs TS4 (based on styles and themes)
    Sim Furries:
    ts2ts3ts4_catsims.jpg

Sim Smokes
    ts2ts3ts4_smoke.jpg

Sim Aliens
    ts2ts3ts4_alien.jpg

Sim Realism (Celeb Match)
    ts2ts3ts4_celebmatch.jpg
    Sims 3:

80ef6a7e213de4ec82a410e1ee31b422-gnd.jpg

5JZ57S6.png
    I prefer Sims 4, mostly because Sims 3 Sims looked so doughy. Sims 2, it's hard to compare now because those are old graphics. Great at the time, but so out of date now.

I dunno... if you allow for the continued updates in CC from the active TS2 community, I think comparisons are still fair. There is so much variety in style allowed for TS2, so even if you're not a maxis match fan (like myself) you can still find the CC to create a sim that suits you, and moreover the TS2 world can be made to complement that style. I think that's an important point because realistic style doesn't look right in TS4 which may ruin game play for some players. I have no idea how changing styles for sims looks in TS3.

Sim Furries:
    ts2ts3ts4_catsims.jpg

Sim Smokes
    ts2ts3ts4_smoke.jpg

Sim Aliens
    ts2ts3ts4_alien.jpg

ts2ts3ts4_celebmatch.jpg
    Sims 3:

Hmm, I see your point, the sims 3 sim's are quite bland in many ways

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

Sim Furries:
    ts2ts3ts4_catsims.jpg

Sim Smokes
    ts2ts3ts4_smoke.jpg

Sim Aliens
    ts2ts3ts4_alien.jpg

ts2ts3ts4_celebmatch.jpg
    Sims 3:

lol
    5JZ57S6.png
  • al456al456 Posts: 306 Member
    The sims 4
    ~ SimManiac383 on the Gallery
    ~ https://twitter.com/Simmaniac383 < Twitter
    onm6UoE.jpg

~SimManiac

Sim Furries:
    ts2ts3ts4_catsims.jpg

Sim Smokes
    ts2ts3ts4_smoke.jpg

Sim Aliens
    ts2ts3ts4_alien.jpg

ts2ts3ts4_celebmatch.jpg
    Sims 3:

lol

I know.... I couldn't resist... j/k though. That sims 3 sim is seriously gorgeous. :+1: You made a good point. :)

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

02-21-16_11-04-02nbspAM_zps31m23wpg.png

The question was....if I read the thread title, was which graphics style you prefer?

Sim Furries:
    ts2ts3ts4_catsims.jpg

Sim Smokes
    ts2ts3ts4_smoke.jpg

Sim Aliens
    ts2ts3ts4_alien.jpg

ts2ts3ts4_celebmatch.jpg
    Sims 3:

lol

I know.... I couldn't resist... j/k though. That sims 3 sim is seriously gorgeous. :+1: You made a good point. :)
    ;)

I must be a Maxis fan myself by the way, because I prefer the art style in 3 and 4 over CC that completely changes their look. I in fact like their hair in 4 for instance and I don't need CC in the game. I have some CC now in 3 and I'm really glad I do, I think it improves their looks. But just slightly, I only want a slight change.

Anyway, I stick to my original opinion here, I think preference is personal and not a matter of quality, they did a great job on art style in both games. And although I prefer Sims 3 style myself, a world like Windenburg looks absolutely gorgeous and so does Romantic Garden.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    edited February 2016
    I think ts2's texture or object's detaile is the best.
    (I myself play violin so I know how ts2's violine is just realistic)

ts2
    teKreXJ.png
    LTR6C8I.jpg

ts3
    iDRlppq.jpg
    KGCVFWy.jpg

ts4
    ltXX9Hy.jpg
    ifsTT9Z.jpg

(edit:but ts4's animation of playing violin is the best. I guess anyone who made ts2's animation had no idea about how people play violin, I won't say anything about ts3, cuz it just ' cut and paste' of ts2's animations -_-)
    Post edited by s1mszzang on
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I can't say, its like apples and oranges to me.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I definitely prefer TS4's art style. The Sims' looks are far superior than anything we have gotten previously in The Sims before, IMHO.

TS3 did have some pretty worlds, though.
  • InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    I prefer Sims 3 worlds and Sims 4 Sims sadly it's not enough to get me to buy Sims 4 despite how adorable the kids are...if there were toddlers and cast then I would probably get it but it's not to be.
    I love cartoons myself I seem to be the only one wanting to makes Sim 3 toony like sims from shannified sims on tumblr for Sims 3 xd

• s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    edited February 2016
    If you set graphic as
    1. set ultra
    2. turn off post prosessing effects
    3. check uncompressed texture

graphic is much more realistic and crispy, not blurry at all.
    Below image is just graphic you see on game, and it is so crispy , isnt it.
    xEe2QvG.jpg

&
    After GT realeased I prefer ts4's worlds
    below picture are just original graphic without light mod or photoshop works
    (some of them has winter mod though)
    9uHnCKU.jpg
    T20KeZS.jpg
    xHKCK77.jpg
    jvfs3AC.jpg
    q4uERsR.jpg
    ZSC4FNY.jpg
    AQ1vtjA.jpg
    8FyyHrt.jpg
    52cyxws.jpg
    23jKtN0.jpg
    zqQEPJO.jpg
    iVXUl8h.jpg
    rwi3SME.jpg
    tBwCkTt.jpg
    czLAvJC.jpg
    3k9mWLM.jpg
    IAIZKyk.jpg
    hI8py40.jpg
    e4D7nV7.jpg
    qhMHzl0.jpg
    fJJuwrn.jpg

&
    And sims can be made with much more detail.
    PTEnv2o.jpg
    BBgWvaj.png
    2BSTI4i.png
    QqTnON7.jpg
    Post edited by s1mszzang on
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    I prefer TS4 art style, since to me it feels more cohesive and whole than TS3's, at least for me. I will say that right now, TS3 has some of the best worlds, but a lot of them were from the latter end of TS3's lifespan, which means that with more time, TS4's worlds will be beautiful, if Windenburg's anything of what we can see in the future. But I desperately hope that they will add in a Create-A-World/Neighborhood for us since I want to see what worlds the fanbase can create.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Wanted to post pictures with my last response, but I was on mobile. Not easy.

Here's the picture I took when I went scuba diving for the first time. I love this shot.

tumblr_o2w2b8uEhw1up0k3mo1_1280.jpg

And a few more.

tumblr_o2w2a4sA0D1up0k3mo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1ndrbluHG1up0k3mo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nzj9qhrMyZ1up0k3mo1_1280.jpg

(I've never even seen the moon like this in real life!)

tumblr_nql91h7inD1up0k3mo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nql91h7inD1up0k3mo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o2mgxviY4v1up0k3mo1_1280.jpg
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • PinkmonkeyPinkmonkey Posts: 188 Member
    I prefer the sims in 4 by a long shot. I couldn't get over that play-dough look the sims in 3 have. Its like their faces had no definition. Very disturbing (in my opinion).

When it comes to the environments, I think I'd give it to 3. The beaches and the water overall looked more appealing than 4. Though 4 doesn't look that bad
  • jude72plajude72pla Posts: 784 Member
    I will admit that when I first saw Sims 4, I thought is looked to bulky and did not like it, now after playing it I have come to enjoy the art work. So to answer the question to which I like better now is I like both.
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Yeah it's Sims 4 for me. Although I did enjoy the crisp look that Sims 3 had it was just too plain and boring in comparison but Sims 4 has alot more going on and is much more vibrant. I also love the UI with the light that shines through the trees and those fireflies it really adds to the whole world and make it stand out more to me.
  • AceofSpades2231AceofSpades2231 Posts: 594 Member
    s1mszzang wrote: »
    If you set graphic as
    1. set ultra
    2. turn off post prosessing effects
    3. check uncompressed texture

graphic is much more realistic and crispy, not blurry at all.
    Below image is just graphic you see on game, and it is so crispy , isnt it.
    xEe2QvG.jpg

&
    After GT realeased I prefer ts4's worlds
    below picture are just original graphic without light mod or photoshop works
    (some of them has winter mod though)
    9uHnCKU.jpg
    T20KeZS.jpg
    xHKCK77.jpg
    jvfs3AC.jpg
    q4uERsR.jpg
    ZSC4FNY.jpg
    AQ1vtjA.jpg
    8FyyHrt.jpg
    52cyxws.jpg
    23jKtN0.jpg
    zqQEPJO.jpg
    iVXUl8h.jpg
    rwi3SME.jpg
    tBwCkTt.jpg
    czLAvJC.jpg
    3k9mWLM.jpg
    IAIZKyk.jpg
    hI8py40.jpg
    e4D7nV7.jpg
    qhMHzl0.jpg
    fJJuwrn.jpg

Gosh those are amazing. I wish I had a computer capable of ultra..
    eqnxTFN.jpg
    I love video games because of the things that I could never do in real life... For instance, in the sims you can get a job and a house.
    Origin ID: Mainmanvs100