Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm creating a map of EVERY Sims town/city ever! (WIP - Updated 4/16)

keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
edited April 2016 in Off Topic Chat
Ok, so I just love to draw maps, always have! I spent most of my childhood going through hundreds of sheets of paper just drawing maps out, mostly of made up countries, just because its so fun! Anyway, so earlier today I was thinking "I wonder if anyone has made a map of all the towns and cities from the Sims series (and I'm not talking just 1, 2, 3, and 4, I mean EVERY Sims game, like the Sims online, the urbz, Sims bustin' out, all of the console games, just everything!) because that would be epic!", so I looked on Google and I could only find small maps, with just a few of the towns from the Sims 2 and 3, but nothing on the scale I'm thinking. So, I thought, hey why not give it a try! So right now I'm compiling a list of all the towns listed on the Sims wiki and soon I will start to put them all together in one huge map of SimNation (I think that's what it's called anyway...) And I'll try to make it as detailed and accurate as I can.

As soon as I've started to draw the map out I will post updates here in this thread, I'm really excited for this project and I can't wait to show it to everyone! Anyway, must dash, there's drawing to be done! :mrgreen:
Post edited by keylimepiesims on

Comments

• Options
    thereesespiecethereesespiece Posts: 614 Member
    That would be amazing actually! I did something similar but just for Sims 3 and I put them where I thought they would fit in the real world, Bridgeport = Boston, MA, USA (it reminds me more of Boston than NYC), Roaring Heights = Miami, Twinbrook = somewhere in Louisiana, all in Simerica. Midnight Hollow = Somewhere in England, Dragon Valley = Somewhere in Scotland maybe? Aurora Skies = Iceland. Isla Paradiso = the Caribbean. It was for my story about a deposed prince who leaves Monte Vista (Italy) for a new life in Simerica. Anyways I'm really excited to see what you come up with !!!
  • Options
    That would be amazing actually! I did something similar but just for Sims 3 and I put them where I thought they would fit in the real world, Bridgeport = Boston, MA, USA (it reminds me more of Boston than NYC), Roaring Heights = Miami, Twinbrook = somewhere in Louisiana, all in Simerica. Midnight Hollow = Somewhere in England, Dragon Valley = Somewhere in Scotland maybe? Aurora Skies = Iceland. Isla Paradiso = the Caribbean. It was for my story about a deposed prince who leaves Monte Vista (Italy) for a new life in Simerica. Anyways I'm really excited to see what you come up with !!!

I saw something like that when I was looking on google and did think about making a map exactly the way you just described, by putting all the towns where I thought they'd fit in the real world, but I thought that was too easy and I like challenging myself, so I drew up a rough map and included a few countries from the real world but sort of distorted them a bit so it didn't look like I'd just copied them.
    Here's a little preview of where I'm at right now:

tumblr_o2hntkObrF1v8owxvo1_1280.png

You can probably see some of the inspiration from real world countries (Africa, India, France, Spain, Ireland, China, Japan, Sri Lanka, Colombia, ect.) and I've kept that sort of theme going throughout the map. But anyway yeah, I'm liking how it's looking so far! Obviously this isn't the whole map, this is only a third of it, but I'll keep updating this thread as I do more.
    Glad that people are taking an interest in this project though, can't wait for you to all see the finished thing! :)
  • Options
    It's definitely too easy! But then as a story teller/amateur historian I feel almost constrained using real world locations so I was looking for a brand new universe when I stumbled on this thread :smile:
  • Options
    It's definitely too easy! But then as a story teller/amateur historian I feel almost constrained using real world locations so I was looking for a brand new universe when I stumbled on this thread :smile:

Well I hope that when I've finished the map that you can find a good use for it within your stories! :)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Here's another little preview of what I've done today, just so you have a better idea of what it will look like in the end. :smiley:

tumblr_o2hymyzbKn1v8owxvo1_1280.png

Edit* It looks a bit weird at the moment because I haven't coloured in the sea or the rivers/lakes, but it'll look better when I have! :lol:
  • Options
    NordicPhoenix22xNordicPhoenix22x Posts: 301 Member
    This is an amazing idea! I'm definitely bookmarking this thread. Your map is already starting to look pretty cool! :smile:
    "Children of the night, Soldiers of our time
    Scream it out loud, One generation
    Riot in the streets, Fighting and debris
    Raise your fist high, the Generation Wild!"
    182kwx.png
  • Options
    It's coming along really great! I've bookmarked it as well I'll be checking back often to see the progress!
  • Options
    Another little update on how my map is coming along, I think I'm almost ready to start labelling it all! :)

tumblr_o3bm1k6ipZ1v8owxvo1_1280.png
  • Options
    very nice!
  • Options
    Ok so I've been drawing a few little icons that I can use to decorate the map, and I've started to label it all, and I'm really liking how it's looking!

tumblr_o3sgac7yS61v8owxvo1_1280.png

Just an FYI, I've listed about 200 locations (towns, cities, countries, rivers etc.) so this will be a pretty full map. I'm so excited to see how it'll turn out! I'll keep you all posted. :smiley:
  • Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    Lol. I love how you've got all of these modified country names, and then you just have "France" :D

Perhaps we could suggest names for locations and features on the map?
    I have a few: Great Llama Lake
    Sunset Mountain
    Goth Island
  • Options
    Lol. I love how you've got all of these modified country names, and then you just have "France" :D

Perhaps we could suggest names for locations and features on the map?
    I have a few: Great Llama Lake
    Sunset Mountain
    Goth Island

Haha yeah it does look a bit peculiar being the only actual country name xD
    But I have kept a few of the country names the same as they are in real life because that's how they're referred to in game (France, China, and Egypt from WA, India, Russia and Morocco from TS3 store, etc.)

Also I would absolutely love it if anyone wants to suggest names, it would help fill a lot of the gaps there are in the map.
    I'll find somewhere nice for your names @Swiftlover13 and feel free to suggest as many as you can think of! :smiley:
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Here's a bit more, I've incorporated Swiftlover's names where I thought they'd fit appropriately. I've also taken off the icons for now while I figure out where to put all the towns and cities, I'll add em back in after!

tumblr_o3uapu2r6L1v8owxvo1_1280.png
    Post edited by keylimepiesims on
  • Options
    This is really amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product. I wish I could help with names but I can't come up with any at the moment!
  • Options
    Wow. I absolutely love that map! Thanks for including my names in the map.
    I think it'd be much better if the countries were split up a bit more (think Europe). It currently looks a bit weird having multiple huge landmasses.
  • Options
    I think it looks fine, since you're planning on including only in game locations for all of the series. It'll fill up as you add more of the in game locations :smile:
  • Options
    Wow. I absolutely love that map! Thanks for including my names in the map.
    I think it'd be much better if the countries were split up a bit more (think Europe). It currently looks a bit weird having multiple huge landmasses.
    I think it looks fine, since you're planning on including only in game locations for all of the series. It'll fill up as you add more of the in game locations :smile:

Yeah I think Lainee is right the size is ok as it is, plus if I were to split the countries up into smaller ones it would get very cramped especially with all of the icons mixed into it, but we'll see further down the line, if it looks weird then I can always change it later on. :)
    This is really amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product. I wish I could help with names but I can't come up with any at the moment!

That's ok, if you think of any feel free to comment them here!
  • Options
    Ok I started putting some of the icons on, but I'm not sure if I used too many, do you think it looks overcrowded? Because I kind of do. :/
    I'll try it with less and see how that looks.

tumblr_o3w6fp1yaj1v8owxvo1_1280.png
  • Options
    Well there isn't much Africa inspired stuff, content wise or city wise, so I feel like here the icons work fine to fill up the space
  • Options
    Well there isn't much Africa inspired stuff, content wise or city wise, so I feel like here the icons work fine to fill up the space

Yeah I think you're right. Ok I'll leave it like this! :)
  • Options
    What happened to this?
  • Options
    What happened to this?

Hi, sorry I've not been very active lately (I've been caught up in other things) but my map is still slowly coming together, don't worry! I'll try and post an update in a sec, just having trouble with the size of the image at the moment. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Ok this should be the right size! :)
    You'll have to click on the image to open it in full size in a new tab, and then you can click on zoom to read all the names. Hope you all like it so far, I'm thinking about just dropping the icons all together, I don't think they add anything to it really.

SimEarthMap_zps6jeklssv.png~original
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    You'll have to click on the image to open it in full size in a new tab, and then you can click on zoom to read all the names. Hope you all like it so far, I'm thinking about just dropping the icons all together, I don't think they add anything to it really.

That is really cool!!! But where is Oasis Springs, Strange Town and Veronaville? :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

That is really cool!!! But where is Oasis Springs, Strange Town and Veronaville? :)

Veronaville is in Produsha (to the left of the map) and I haven't gotten around to putting in Oasis Springs and Strange Town yet. I still have like 50 more town names to put on my map so if you can't see something then it's because I haven't gotten to it yet. :)

And thank you, I'm glad you like the map!! :mrgreen: