Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you play? What EP/GP/SP would you love to see? :)

ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
edited February 2016 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I'm curious to know how everyone likes to play The Sims 4. :smile:
I've heard people say that The Sims 4 gets stale fast, and others who say they stay enamored.

So, I came up with a few questions I've been wondering:

*How do you play? Set Sims that experience each new release, or something fresh each time?

*Do you (or plan to) buy every release, or only important ones (ex: Expansion Packs)?

*What are your thoughts on the GPs and SPs--waste of money or fun niches?

*What's an Expansion or Game pack that you'd love to see? Could be re-done or totally new to series!

Thanks, and Happy Simming! :heart:

"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
Origin ID: simaddict1990

Comments

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    How do you play?

I have one main save where it stars my simself and a few of my sim friends and and I use it to play around, experiment, create, and if there are new patches/EPs I test them out in that save. it's a mess.
    I play rotationally
    no generations my longest Generation usually stops after the third.

*Do you (or plan to) buy every release, or only important ones (ex: Expansion Packs)?
    I Buy only the important ones.
    So far I have both Get to Work and Get together. I want to get Perfect Patio, Luxury stuff. and I'm still debating if I want Outdoor Retreat, I like the Pack But I hate the Bear that comes with it. it's the Bear costume thats stopping me.
    Waiting for and Improved Supernatural pack, Seasons, Pets+, and World Adventures.
    those are my Top E-Packs
    SPs I'm waiting for Vehicles.
    GPs who knows.
    Things Like Showtime, University, Generations, Island Paradise

It depends I haven't seen a GP that really made me like "I NEED THAT!!!" but I feel like they are important, more content right? and if they made it so GPs and SPs added on to EPs that would be great like Why Stop at a Supernatural expansion, Why not add what couldn't fit in the expansion and put them in a supplemental SP and GP?

*What's an Expansion or Game pack that you'd love to see? Could be re-done or totally new to series!

Sims 3 Seasons redone, and then some
    Sims 3 Pets more variety and customizable pets. + farm animals. I don't think too much re animations should be done I think the sims 3 likeness would fit in the Sims 4.
    They Should Scrap witches from The Sims Supernatural. they're so basic, Sorcerers would be so much better!
    all supernaturals actually could use an overhaul.
    ShowTime, With the Sims 4 multitasking, I can't wait to see Singing and dancing at the same time.
    they already have dancing in sync, I can't wait to see sims perform. I want my sims to wow me. hopefully EA chooses good songs this time.
    World Adventures is another because I love going on adventures and would love to wait tomb/ dungeons/ temples to procure magical/mythical artifacts. that have real gameplay interactions.
    like Go to Athens, Greece and Retrieve Pandora's Box thats rumored to be buried under the Parthenon. Obtain it and spawn the world's Greatest Evil like Gorgons, Locust, giant Spiders Black Plague, Mrs. Crumple-bottom or worse, Toddlers!
    or travel to the Bermuda find where lies the portal to the Under sea kingdom of the Merfolk.
    try and obtain Poseidon's Trident and gain all the powers of the ocean, and unlock various sea creature transformations.
    Dubai, would be perfect of an Arabian Modern world but could hold on to the old Arabian Myths of a Genie and the Magic Lamp.
    head back in time to Camelot or present and seek The Holy Grail/Excalibur Drink from the cup and you will receive immortality, and/or the gift of magic.

they should re do the Sims Castaway + Medieval with the Sims 4

Castaway could have more biomes to survive in Like Icy tundra, deserted Island, Forest they should make it more like minecraft. and unscripted, include Seasons, Pets, and Supernaturals in it.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited February 2016
    I generally play family style, well in 2 and 3 anyway. In 4 I havent really found a style yet. I would like to see a Generations style EP with tots patched in.

Edit:
    I forgot to answer your other questions:

No, I doubt I will buy every EP. If and when they offer one that would enhance family style then I would loosen my purse strings a bit. I do plan to buy this coming stuffs pack but I don't buy them all.

My thoughts on GP & SP's are that I really don't have any thoughts. If it isn't one I'd use I don't bother. They seem to be a mix bag, like kitchen stuff, from the reviews I read had very little actual kitchen stuff. This next one seems to be more accurate to its name.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    *How do you play? Set Sims that experience each new release, or something fresh each time?
    For The Sims and Sims 2, I let my saves expand, generally, if I bought new expansions. For Sims 3 I did a lot of starting over so I could try something new. In both Sims 2 and Sims 3, I played rotationally and also generationally, but never past a few generations - by then I was bored of that family and would start again.

For Sims 4, I mostly play rotationally but I've been playing a lot slower when it comes to generational play, partly because I play mostly on Speed 1 now, but also partly because I broke out of my generational-play rut last year and found myself enjoying playing out stories that had nothing (or at least less) to do with growing up, getting jobs, getting married, having kids, and then doing that again.

What I've been doing now, when I want to start a new save for any reason - most recently because my "celebrity Sims" game didn't "want" to get put into clubs and I wanted GT - I spend a lot of time with a wiped-of-Sims save, building up the population. And while I'm making all those Sims, I'm falling for some of them, and they want their stories played by me. I might not need to start a new save for a long time, but at some point this one might feel "played out" and I'll start a new one. My previous one lasted half a year, which was a long time for me.

Only releases that seem like I'll get enough use out of them to justify the cost. So far, that's been everything for Sims 4 except Spooky Day, which I don't own. Experience has shown me that I just don't do holidays in the Sims much at all.

Fun niches. Glad we have such a variety of these things!

I dearly want active school for children and teens. Farming would be lovely (with NPC animals). Also superheroes might be a lot of fun. I still also want something with weather, and something with Sims 2 style apartments.

You too :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    Thank you all for the insight so far. :)
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited February 2016
    ashcrash19 wrote: »
    I've heard people say that The Sims 4 gets stale fast, and others who say they stay enamored.

Since I despise the frequency of the loading screens, my sims keep their behinds home 90% of the time. Nobody goes anywhere unless it's for story purposes.

Depends on what they are. If I like it, chances are I'll buy it. If not, there has to be something appealing to me to make think it'll be worth it to buy it.

Just depends on what you like. Outdoor Retreat has proven useless to me. I only used it once. Spa Day is much better, but not used often since, again, my sims don't venture out often due to my dislike of the loading screens needing to be used so frequency. The stuff packs are meh in my opinion. I'm excited for the newest one coming out on Tuesday, but only because I adore flowers and gardens.

Supernatural, and more features for fairies besides trickster magic.
    Post edited by KayeStar on
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • wynwyn Posts: 901 Member
    I have one save for testing out builds and stuff, so I'll generally look through things there, rather than possibly messing up one that I actually play. As for the way I play, it depends on the save. Mostly it's family play, but each save has different sets of rules depending on what "challenge" I do.

I usually buy all expansion packs at least, since they add lots of gameplay and refresh anything that might be feeling a bit stale or stagnating. At this point, the only thing I feel like I really *NEED* in this game, are seasons (complete with weather) and toddlers. I love redecorating the houses based on what season it is, or when major holidays come up, and being a family player... need I say more on toddlers? :P

GPs- Fun niches. I like both we've had so far and even if I'm not going on vacation or visiting the spa a ton, I still get a lot of use out of the buy and build items in my sims homes.
    SPs- Some are annoying and mostly a waste. Why? Lets look at "cool kitchen" for example. Almost all the content... was clothing and hair. Don't get me wrong, I like the clothing and hair... but I wanted more KITCHEN. We only got one set of counters and cabinets, only one new fridge and stove, and while the ice cream maker is cute, I'd have preferred to get a food processor in there as well, since it would see more use in my sim's daily lives. If they come out with a bedroom pack with only one new bed (since I've been complaining about lack of *good* beds since forever), I'll scream.

Well, as I said I pretty much need to get seasons and toddlers in for me to feel like the game is complete.

I liked almost all the packs in previous versions of the game, so I wouldn't mind seeing them reintroduced in TS4, though they seem to be trying to do a lot of new stuff so I'm not sure how realistic that would be, but I'd love to see them expanded on. The only problem with that, is I'd like to see them be intertwined with each other. For example, I'd love to see a rewards/punishment system for a generations type EP. I'd love it if we could assign chores and if the kids didn't do them, you could ground them so they couldn't leave their rooms except to fulfill needs like using the bathroom or getting food, and if they did do them, then they get an allowance or something. Now for the intertwining part, I'd like it if/when a seasons/pets/etc EP comes out, the chores can be then integrated into the new stuff as well. For example, chores with seasons would be raking the leaves in the fall or shoveling snow in the winter. For pets, you can assign the kid the chore of feeding, walking or cleaning up after them. That's probably my biggest issue with Get To Work, is that it only has 3 professions, and going forward with new EPs, I'd like it if they built back on some of the older ones. The issue there of course is that not everyone will have bought the older packs.. but then again with new content for the older ones, maybe people will be more inclined to buy it? Who knows. Either way, I feel like most of my ideas for this game are probably too big for it.

Like I think it'd be kinda fun if there was a world where you actually had to collect resources from the environment to build your house with, like make Logging a skill and you have to collect X logs to build a wall or something. If you learn the Plumbing skill, you can have running water instead of bathing in a pond/stream.. Those skills would only be necessary in that world since they'd be pretty much useless elsewhere, so maybe that could be a requirment for moving there? Or the person could just fail miserably and die of exposure or move back to civilization, lol. Probably sounds more like a new game entirely, rather than an EP though.

And wow this went longer than I thought it would. :sweat:
    Origin ID: WyntirLily
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited February 2016
    I play in many different ways.
    Normally I pull a sim up and decide if I want them to go the creative or genius route then build a story in my head around that. I often research a name so that the meaning of the name reflects what I intend them to be. I usually play with one sim although they may meet someone that I will decide to pull into their life.. usually something happens that endears the other sim to me and makes them important .. sometimes I make them a partner. I don't like to lose progress in skills and traits so I've taken to saving my sims and putting them back in the library before a new EP is released. I found that my save games slowed down the loading and I didn't want that. I restart their story in a new home but usually they have their personalities (in my mind) intact. I attempt to buy them all traits through reward points and attempt to get them through most aspirations.. some aspirations I just don't enjoy doing on my "good" characters.
    Now and then I will attempt to play a family with kids it rarely lasts more than a couple of weeks. Sometimes I do a challenge but it can't be a very long one or legacy one. I might start those though.. but I lose interest pretty quick.
    Sometimes I "test" play.... like when something new comes out I often make a sim just to test out the new stuff or test death types ect. Then I might keep playing that sim or shove them in the library to use later especially if I end up liking them or they skill a bit during the testing.
    Now and then I deviant play usually with some evil/mischief character sim.. but that doesn't last very long either it's just an couple days to a week of burning and maiming ;).

I like the game and I want all the content... I might not get it the day of release but I've got all the content so far. I might skip some if it's just horrid to me (like something based on reality tv stars) but I probably will find a way to talk myself into getting it for content I could use in other ways.

It's all been good for my game play so far. I might eventually skip some if it goes into a niche I don't care for but my sims likes are varied and even if I don't use all content for every household there will probably be one that it will fit in with.

I want something like Superstar and singing.. also hopefully drums and the ability to play as a band. I want some pack that includes slow and couple dancing. I'd like a University themed pack also. I want to farm in the sims so I hope we get something like that.
    As for the other packs coming back I want to see where this series takes things like seasons, apartments, pets, supernaturals and generations.

egTcBMc.png
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    My playstyle is centered around a single sim. Through that sim I experience all that the game has to offer. Unlike the majority of simmers (as I've observed personally) I'm not a story driven player. I don't make up stories as I go, nor write plots. I'm also not a family player, I only play families once. That main sim is made from toddler (or in this case, child) with a family of 4, and that's the only time I play families. I cannot focus nor enjoy the subtle details of any Sims game when controlling several sims. Hence, I've always modded the game to increase Sims' autonomy intelligence to rely less on my input. That main sim experiences everything the game has to offer. Once I get bored, I take a break.

Depends on the quality. Unless they do an excellent pack or they start showing they know what they are doing in this iteration, I'll be picky and only buy at discounts greater than 35%.

GPs --> Excellent idea. It's one of the few things of TS4 that I really, really love. It opens up the possibility to make really niche/specific packs to cater to a wider audience. Spa Day is great and Outdoor Retreat is very decent IMO.

SPs --> Well, in TS2 and TS3, SPs to me were garbage. I could get much better quality content from CC sites. I could not justify the price tag for a handful of objects that added no new gameplay. In TS4, with the new price tag and the tiny bit of gameplay added, I don't mind them. Then again, if they still didn't add any gameplay at all, even at $9.99 I'd not even look at them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; please, PLEASE remake The Sims 1 Superstar and The Sims 1 Makin' Magic. TS3 Showtime was a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 attempt, and Makin' Magic hasn't been truly remade in TS2 nor TS3. The new town, the power crystals and plants randomly on lots, the vendors and their tasks, the duels, the talismans and spells, the tomb puzzle, the ingredient system and magic coin currency, the magic acts. Oh how I wish.
    Lovely ideas and ways of playing, everyone. Made some mental notes of things I hadn't thought of. :)
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I play in a variety of ways. I usually have about three main saves going. One where I will complete all the aspirations, collections etc that usually started as a runaway teen who worked his way up to wealth through self employment (painting usually).
    One that I have couples in and follow a 'story line' about their lives, pretty much just going with the flow and letting the story develop. Ofetn rotating around different households and just generally building and tweaking the town into what I want.
    One that will be a generational game with no cheats whatsoever and no motherload etc. All the sims will work at different careers and max them and max different skills from each other through the generations. I won't alter any of the game lots and won't build anything other than my sims own house and/or business.

At the same time I'll be starting new games to test out new content, traits etc. If I like how it goes then I might play on for a while or just delete it once I've finished testing. I also will start new saves with townies that my other sim have got to know in the 'main games' and play them for a while.

Until recently I still had the very first generational save I made on launch day but it has become corrupt and although I still have it saved on an external hard drive I can't get it to work right now.

Depends if I like them. If I like them I'll buy them all. If I like some I'll buy some.

So far I have liked the game packs a lot. And am looking forward to seeing what the next one might be.

SP I have them all, even Cool kitchens which I really like. I probably wouldn't have bought Luxury Party had it been released later and I really think that one was a waste.

*What's an Expansion or Game pack that you'd love to see?
    Generations with all the life stages in it (toddlers patched in for free).
    Supernaturals
    Pets
    University
    Weather I guess. All these just seem staples and somewhat necessary for a simming experience.
    I'd love to see some sort of farming pack, really fleshed out with loads of animations and things for the sims to go about doing on the farm and farmers markets for selling the produce they've grown etc.
    A tropical paradise island with water sports, boating and swimming in the ocean. Jungle/tropical forest walks and adventures too.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • AmyCarolynAmyCarolyn Posts: 303 Member
    *How do you play? Set Sims that experience each new release, or something fresh each time? With the sims 4, due to lack of family play or interest in any of the things offered in actual game play, i don't play families through very often. I mostly build.

*Do you (or plan to) buy every release, or only important ones (ex: Expansion Packs)? I buy every release in a desperate attempt to sometime like playing it more. Also, to add more options to build mode.

*What are your thoughts on the GPs and SPs--waste of money or fun niches? Fun niches, but we need less stuff packs and more game packs. I can understand only two expansions a year, but I would love of they could up the game pack turn out instead of releasing so many stuff packs.

*What's an Expansion or Game pack that you'd love to see? Could be re-done or totally new to series! generations and pets (beating a dead horse, I know) for a new expansion idea, I'd love a farming EP
  • AugustsimAugustsim Posts: 106 Member

*How do you play? Set Sims that experience each new release, or something fresh each time? I set Sims that experience each release.

*Do you (or plan to) buy every release, or only important ones (ex: Expansion Packs)? I usually buy every release. Even if that content isn't that great, I love the new objects, clothing, etc...

*What are your thoughts on the GPs and SPs--waste of money or fun niches? Some of them have some great content but some of them could use a little more fluff.

*What's an Expansion or Game pack that you'd love to see? I would like to see an expansion pack called: Theme Parks! I think that would be so much fun, however, probably very difficult to create lol.

• TarruviTarruvi Posts: 1,227 Member

I'm excited for the newest one coming out on Tuesday, but only because I adore flowers and gardens.

Supernatural, and more features for fairies besides trickster magic.

What is your favorite supernatural, and why?
    I, myself. Like Werewolves, and how wild they can be. I hope they're even wilder this time around! :smiley:
  • TarruviTarruvi Posts: 1,227 Member
    I used to play with families, but, there isn't much to do as of right now.
    I would only buy DLCs if they're different from previous DLCs. Variety is my number one priority.
    I think Game packs are, well, Game packs. Adding to the gameplay, and Outdoor Retreat would go great with a Family Expansion.

Stuff packs are smaller, similar to The Sims 3 Store's packs, but, lower in price. I like their compact themes, much choice there.
    I would like to see a Sports Pack, with a Basketball Hoop, Baseball and Football to play catch with, and related clothing. Maybe, even a short mohawk? :)
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited February 2016
    How do you play? Set Sims that experience each new release, or something fresh each time?

I only play one save, rotationally and generationally. When there's a new EP, I'll build the new things into my story if it fits. I usually avoid creating new Sims because I already have quite a lot of families already. If nobody fits, I just wait until some Sims age up. I'm just starting the science career with one of my young adult, and I just opened my second retail ! My new couples are slowly migrating to Newcrest and Windenburg.
    GT clubs have been a bit quicker to incorporate : I made age bracket clubs to sort all my children and teens (those are like classes) and hobby/lessons clubs (music lessons, art lessons). For the adults, I'm creating clubs slowly as I rotate through all my families.

Do you (or plan to) buy every release, or only important ones (ex: Expansion Packs)?

I'll buy what appeal to me, regardless of the size of the pack. I'll most likely skip everything involving Supernatural or Superheroes (not my thing). I skipped Spooky Stuff, I'm not into Halloween, and there wasn't enough children costumes to justify the cost (those would have been the only thing I would have used in the pack most likely).

What are your thoughts on the GPs and SPs--waste of money or fun niches?

Fun niches ! And the more, the better, so I can pick and choose the one I like (and not wait too long if there's a bunch I don't like in a row), but only if those are the same quality as the ones released so far.

What's an Expansion or Game pack that you'd love to see?

Seasons ! 4 seasons means 4 times more storytelling possibilities, well even more with all the different weather ! :)
    Post edited by Neia on
    AmyCarolyn wrote: »

*What are your thoughts on the GPs and SPs--waste of money or fun niches? Fun niches, but we need less stuff packs and more game packs. I can understand only two expansions a year, but I would love of they could up the game pack turn out instead of releasing so many stuff packs.

I just wanted to quote that I agree whole-heartedly! I realize that game packs take more time than stuff packs, but I really do feel like they're a great way to include things that EPs don't. I feel it also allows developers to have a little bit more flexibility, since I'm sure most EPs are planned in advance.

For example, say there was a "Makin Magic" EP that didn't include all of the life states people wanted; they could then make a GP that included that. Or "Pets" being released and then having a GP for Farm Animals or something of the like. :)