Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Exception raised" Help, i dont know what to do anymore

First, this is the second thing i've ever posted here, i try to look for things to read instead of making my own topic, but nothing has helped me. I'm not sure if im posting this in the right section but this is the one i settled on.
So, it seems that many people have the "Exception raised: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000021 at address 0x7b3eec63. Do you wish to debug it ?" pop-up problem. And many people have come up with a fix for it. But none of those fixes for it, work for me. Im desperate at this point. For 2 years, i havent been able to make it past a day in the sims before it crashes so much that my save file becomes corrupted. I do have minimal mods/downloads, but i still have a ton of space on my laptop.
I've tried everything i have found to help with it. I've bypasses the launcher, turned off interactive loading screen, and my sims dont live in a custom world. I'm 95% sure its not a bad cc item because it also happens with my desktop, with different cc. I really just want to play my game normally. It seems that everyone else has hundreds of mods. I can barely have 100.
My computer capacity is 498.89 GB and i have 343.43 GB still available. And i have a macbook pro fully updated. (not sure if thats important) :/ :'(

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Possibly you already know this, but all that error really means is that the game has crashed. TS3 for Mac is an odd creature. It can only utilize 2 GB of RAM (as opposed to nearly twice that on the Windows version) no matter how much you have installed, once it tries to reach beyond that graphics glitches, Error 12s upon saving, and crashing as you have noted are a certainty. This is due to the way in which EA arranged things in OS X by using a Cider implementation instead of a full port as was done for all of the other games in this series. Your hard drive storage capacity is not the problem.

It is possible, though more challenging than it should be, to make this game work on the Mac OS. The solutions for doing so are here, but most importantly you must purge RAM constantly throughout play to stay well under the 2 GB restriction especially with the heavier EPs in place if you have them (Pets, Seasons, IP, ITF).
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/658546/mac-help-threads-guides-please-start-here-before-posting-a-problem-updated-05-06-15/p1

Personally, I lost patience with this version of the game when Pets and Seasons nearly ruined my gameplay, bootcamped Windows 7 onto my Mac, and have been playing on the Windows partition ever since. Worth considering if doing so is within your reach.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • scxntillationscxntillation Posts: 9 New Member
    [quote="igazor;14547315"]Possibly you already know this, but all that error really means is that the game has crashed. TS3 for Mac is an odd creature. It can only utilize 2 GB of RAM (as opposed to nearly twice that on the Windows version) no matter how much you have installed, once it tries to reach beyond that graphics glitches, Error 12s upon saving, and crashing as you have noted are a certainty. This is due to the way in which EA arranged things in OS X by using a Cider implementation instead of a full port as was done for all of the other games in this series. Your hard drive storage capacity is not the problem.

It is possible, though more challenging than it should be, to make this game work on the Mac OS. The solutions for doing so are here, but most importantly you must purge RAM constantly throughout play to stay well under the 2 GB restriction especially with the heavier EPs in place if you have them (Pets, Seasons, IP, ITF).

Personally, I lost patience with this version of the game when Pets and Seasons nearly ruined my gameplay, bootcamped Windows 7 onto my Mac, and have been playing on the Windows partition ever since. Worth considering if doing so is within your reach.[/quote]

I'm going to sound really stupid but, its possible to put windows 7 onto a mac? I could probably figure it out by reading instructions or something. I will do anything to have my game work. I know theres ways to make sims use more than 2GB but its all for windows. So i was out of luck. I also have pets and seasons, theyre my two favorites, but i bought ITF but uninstalled it
    Bootcamp is a feature of OS X provided by Apple. It does, however, require the purchase of a standalone full retail version of Windows (doesn't have to be Win 7, that was the current version back when I set this up...actually Win 8 was, but I didn't want that). These days 8.1 and 10 are supported, but depends on which OS X operating system you have and how old your Mac is.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

You do get the joys of having to manage two operating systems that way and of course the Windows partition should be properly anti-virused.

When you startup, if you hold the Option key down you get to choose which operating system you are booting into, as you can only run one at a time this way. If you choose Windows, your computer becomes just about the same as any other PC and you can install TS3 for Windows on it. If you have registered your games, you get the download rights to all of them that you own through Origin on either operating system. The Windows version of the game has been Large Address Aware, that is, able to use almost 4 GB of RAM if you have enough to go around, ever since Patch 1.18 so there are actually no extra steps to take (unless you need to install more RAM; 8 GB is recommended so that the game and Windows have enough to work with).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • scxntillationscxntillation Posts: 9 New Member
    Apparently my Macbook pro doesnt come with bootcamp?? can't find any download links for it either.
    edited February 2016
    It's part of the operating system, or at least it has been since Lion or so. The Bootcamp Assistant should be in Applications/Utilities. I'm assuming, could be mistaken, that you aren't on one of the earlier cats like Snow Leopard in which case it should be on the OS X system disk as an option. But again, it won't do you any good unless you have a standalone retail version of Windows to install.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • JesScarletJesScarlet Posts: 3 New Member
    I had the same problem and i know what causes that stupid thing to come up!!! I have a late 2007 macbook pro that i play on. SO When it was happening to me, i noticed that the time it would crash corresponded with the exact time and dates that I would earn a "badge" on my SIMS3 account!!! I found that if I play the Sims 3 with my wifi turned off (so the game can't connect to the online server to update your badges) Then my game wouldn't crash! Hope that works for you!!
    JesScarlet wrote: »
    I had the same problem and i know what causes that plum thing to come up!!! I have a late 2007 macbook pro that i play on. SO When it was happening to me, i noticed that the time it would crash corresponded with the exact time and dates that I would earn a "badge" on my SIMS3 account!!! I found that if I play the Sims 3 with my wifi turned off (so the game can't connect to the online server to update your badges) Then my game wouldn't crash! Hope that works for you!!
    Sorry to have to disagree here. You have found what makes your game crash for you on your system and that's great that you can work around it. But there would be hundreds of reasons for TS3 to crash for different players and the "exception has been raised" message really doesn't indicate one and only one thing as the trigger across the board.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    I had the same problem and i know what causes that plum thing to come up!!! I have a late 2007 macbook pro that i play on. SO When it was happening to me, i noticed that the time it would crash corresponded with the exact time and dates that I would earn a "badge" on my SIMS3 account!!! I found that if I play the Sims 3 with my wifi turned off (so the game can't connect to the online server to update your badges) Then my game wouldn't crash! Hope that works for you!!
    Sorry to have to disagree here. You have found what makes your game crash for you on your system and that's great that you can work around it. But there would be hundreds of reasons for TS3 to crash for different players and the "exception has been raised" message really doesn't indicate one and only one thing as the trigger across the board.

Yes, well I know several people that that particular fix worked for. Its also very easy for someone to "test out" rather than going to such extreme measures as partitioning their hard drive just to play a game that is supposed to work with the computer they purchased it for. That option is no better at solving the issue than mine is if you're trying to "solve for everyone". I personally purchased the digital copy of that game (specifically the mac compatible one), therefore I would not have the option of simply using it on another operating system. I'd also like to point out that those of us who are still running a pre-lion OS mac, don't have a simple way to partition it either. Mine for example requires a seperate software that i would have to purchase to do so, and at the time it was made, it was hit and miss as to whether it would actually work properly. Lastly, although i agree that it may not work for everyone, (and I dont appear to be able to edit my original post to say as much) its kind of ridiculous to discount my statement because of it. I was offering up a solution that worked for me and as I stated, several others. I posted it with the intent on helping anyone that it may be able to work for and if that means that only 2 people benefit then so be it.
    Really not trying to start something. I was just giving advice based on what worked for me.
    edited January 2017
    @JesScarlet - Okay. Let's try this again, if we can. The Exception Raised message means a program has crashed. That is all.

You have found the cause for what is making the TS3 program crash in your case and I imagine this will help players who are facing exactly the same situation on their setups. I'm sorry if I too quickly dismissed your suggestion.

But I do have to point out, although I realize it's not entirely related, that there aren't going to be very many TS3 players still running Snow Leopard (I loved that OS back in the day, it was brilliant and rock solid as far as the cats went). I don't think TS3 can even run on any of the other pre-Lion cats. And many of us always did play with the game offline because we never cared about badges, online content, simporting, etc. The program frequently crashed on us as well. But yes, playing online does make the game less stable for both Mac and Windows players as it always has.

I don't actually enjoy using Bootcamp. The reason I recommend it generally for those who can tolerate it is that there really isn't any other alternative to work around the ridiculous 2 GB restriction on RAM usage that TS3 for Mac brings with it, which isn't nearly sufficient for those of us who have all of the EPs in play. Many players today have 8 GB or more. Of course the game can't use that much either because it's 32-bit, but things just shouldn't be as unstable as they are for any of us on Macs. It is that way because of the way EA arranged its port into OS X using a Cider wrapper, it's the only game in the Sims series that EA did this to. All of the others, TS1, 2, and 4, are actually known to run better on Macs. Also, if you own a registered copy of TS3 for Mac and any/all of its EPs, or ones that can be registered, then you are entitled to the Windows version free of charge by way of Origin for Windows. Whether that is of any use to the player at all might be another story, of course.

Nor are there many alternatives for those running 2013 and later Macs whose graphics card/processor combos refused to be recognized by the game to the extent that it just won't start for them on the Mac side. These players cannot play on OS X at all.

As for the rest, some of us here are IT professionals. We don't really mean to discount those who are trying to be helpful and we aren't trying to "start anything" either. We are only here to assist others and share our various levels of experience. This comes from the workplace but also from working with many thousands of players over the years. No one is forced to like or take us up on our suggestions. No emotions, no extra levels of frustration intended, the game does enough of that already for everyone. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    I personally purchased the digital copy of that game (specifically the mac compatible one), therefore I would not have the option of simply using it on another operating system.

Just to expand on what @igazor has already stated, if you log into Origin on a Windows machine you will see the Windows version is already available to you in your Games Library at no extra cost. Games are tied to your Origin account, not the machine or operating system. If you aren't using Origin then you can simply download it, log in using your EA/Origin account (whichever one you have previously registered the game to if applicable) and register your product code so the game is added to your library, on a Mac or Windows PC.
    I'd also like to point out that those of us who are still running a pre-lion OS mac, don't have a simple way to partition it either. Mine for example requires a seperate software that i would have to purchase to do so, and at the time it was made, it was hit and miss as to whether it would actually work properly.

That's not true. Boot Camp Assistant has been built into the OS since OS X 10.4 Tiger when Apple switched to Intel processors so your Mac already has the capability. Your Mac also has a great little utility called Disk Utility built into the OS which enables you to wipe, repair and partition any mountable drive whether it's your internal drive or any external ones plugged in.

What Mac do you have and which OS are you running?
    apple-signature.png
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Forgot to add, you will of course have to buy a copy of Windows to install on the Boot Camp partition :)
    apple-signature.png