Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Real Need for the Color wheel

I know we lost this because when you create a hundred million different textures, it tends to make changing the colors when buying a new item go reeeaaalllyyyy slooooow because each texture and color takes so much time to load. However, it would have been nice to see various items that should be grouped together have at least matching colors. I tried to match the hot tub with the barbecue and the counters from perfect patio but none of the colors match. I even tried to create a standalone counter that should have matched the barbecue at least but it didn't, and why? Because it seems that different stuff seems to have different properties in different light during the 24 hours and there is no way that any stuff matches. I figured at least if I picked black for all the items they would look the same but they don't, one item is almost pure black and another item is grey and then something else is charcoal. This has been an issue even with the base game but it just hasn't gotten any better with the eps/gps/sps. In any case, maybe somebody has an idea as to why some things just weren't made to match even though they should? When you look at these items separately, it appears that they should match but they don't even come with the same color combos. I will try again tomorrow to make some matching items but right now all I can do is wish for that color wheel and texture selector back.
On a planet far, far away.

Comments

• Options
    TS_DivaTS_Diva Posts: 477 Member
    Yes, it appears they have chosen multiple palettes to use for objects, so not all of the blues are the same, there are greens which are only a few shades from a light blue and then a really dark blue on the same item, but other items only have a light blue. It makes matching things like windows and doors a real nightmare.....just use white....smh.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I'd love to have at least the color wheel back even if CAST can't be in the Sims 4. I'd love to be able to change hair, object, and outfit color with ease and without having to make my own CC or download CC.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    Definitely bring back the colour wheel, some of the palette choices are just... yeuck...

BUT!! only if they find a way to keep it from lagging when extra content accumulate.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    tamisarah tamisarah Posts: 36 Member
    The color wheel made it way to hard for me to decorate. Decorating is a favorite activity of mind but making the selections took me for-ever!!! It took me hours to design one room of furniture. But thats just me.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I don't know why they got rid of it. My color wheel in game (S3) doesn't take that long to load. But if EA/Maxis feared that it would be an issue, I'm sure they could have come up with a solution in the reduction of time it would take to load, and we could have gotten a color wheel. Please, EA, give us back that tool! We need it!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    Sims 4 really needs a colour wheel or some tool which allows the player to re-colour objects. It would seriously improve my opinion of the game which, for me at least, is severely lacking in colour options.
  • Options
    0Chloe0Chloe Posts: 1,922 Member
    I'd like a colour wheel only. They can keep the naff patterns from CASt. I don't like them and think crazy or detailed patterns do not look good in The Sims 4. The bohemian themed furniture from the newest pack is a good example of this. The furniture is nice, but the patterns? Not so much. I dislike it and think it sticks out like a sore thumb in The Sims 4. I was never one for crazy patterns anyway!
    nR9bj3xc5JPW0.gif
  • Options
    HopeinenHopeinen Posts: 316 Member
    I don't know why they got rid of it. My color wheel in game (S3) doesn't take that long to load. But if EA/Maxis feared that it would be an issue, I'm sure they could have come up with a solution in the reduction of time it would take to load, and we could have gotten a color wheel. Please, EA, give us back that tool! We need it!

Nah, too much choice makes the game harder to play. ;)

Ive even heard someone making the excuse that lack of color & pattern tool makes the game more realistic since you cant recolor your clothes or wallpapers in real life. :D

For those who fear/have performance issues due to custom patterns there is an easy solution, just use the basic colors provided.
  • Options
    Kim5496Kim5496 Posts: 1,261 Member
    It's very frustrating especially for clothing.
    I don't understand why they cant at the very bare minimum makes the blacks and whites match. I get that they don't want to use the same color palette for all the clothing and that's fine but at least make a few pieces that are able to mix and match with other things.
    I am not a builder but I can imagine that it is also extremely frustrating trying to make rooms that match and go well together. :/
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I'd be happy even with a simple colour palette - fewer choices than a full wheel. That would be enough to get solid colours to match.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Hopeinen wrote: »

Ive even heard someone making the excuse that lack of color & pattern tool makes the game more realistic since you cant recolor your clothes or wallpapers in real life. :D

For those who fear/have performance issues due to custom patterns there is an easy solution, just use the basic colors provided.

ROFL I know right! I've heard those excuses as well. How can you say having creativity is a burden? But to each their own. I think it would be nice to have the color wheel, and then the option (like with Sims 3) it install patterns.

I've been trying my hand at building houses in game, and I'm getting frustrated having to exit, then go on the search for matching item colors and new wall paints.

I just don't want another mega download folder like I had with Sims 2, having to download 100 recolors of one object, or outfit, just to have variety.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited January 2016
    Amen! Bring back the color wheel at the very least!

I'd love CASt back so we could select textures, but only if they can figure out a way to implement it so it doesn't lag. A million options do me no good when I have to wait a million years for it to load. Maybe a more condensed version would work? Idk. :/

I can do a whole lot with a color wheel, though, so even if I can't change textures at least I can make the color scheme match. I don't mind mismatched textures, as long as the color scheme flows well. There are some great items in the game that I don't use, because I don't like any of the colors. :(
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    xhellocoldworldxhellocoldworld Posts: 264 Member
    Yes yes YES! One of my favorite things (if not my all time favorite) to do in Sims is decorate and redesign houses. It's really aggravating to decorate in Sims 4 sometimes, because I like to match everything. Like seriously, from plants to walls and floors to toilets to chairs to picture frames to things like art easels. Doesn't matter, I want to match it. And Sims 4 makes it nearly impossible to match things perfectly.

As people said above, it'd be great to have a basic color wheel with a few textures and then have the option to install additional textures. That way, if someone's computer can't handle a bunch of textures, they don't have to have more than it can handle. And, I agree that there are some great objects and clothing in the game that I've never/rarely used due to either there's no likable colors or the colors there don't really match with anything.

"The softest echo could be enough for me to make it through."
    ♥♥♥
    sims-traits.jpg
  • Options
    rochelimitrochelimit Posts: 777 Member
    Ethyrdude wrote: »
    I know we lost this because when you create a hundred million different textures, it tends to make changing the colors when buying a new item go reeeaaalllyyyy slooooow because each texture and color takes so much time to load. However, it would have been nice to see various items that should be grouped together have at least matching colors. I tried to match the hot tub with the barbecue and the counters from perfect patio but none of the colors match. I even tried to create a standalone counter that should have matched the barbecue at least but it didn't, and why? Because it seems that different stuff seems to have different properties in different light during the 24 hours and there is no way that any stuff matches. I figured at least if I picked black for all the items they would look the same but they don't, one item is almost pure black and another item is grey and then something else is charcoal. This has been an issue even with the base game but it just hasn't gotten any better with the eps/gps/sps. In any case, maybe somebody has an idea as to why some things just weren't made to match even though they should? When you look at these items separately, it appears that they should match but they don't even come with the same color combos. I will try again tomorrow to make some matching items but right now all I can do is wish for that color wheel and texture selector back.

I won't force the hideous clueless gamedevs of Sims 4 to enable color wheel, BUT at least give us options to give color onto two features of an object like back then in Sims2; e.g. different color for bedframe and mattress, different color for flower and pot, different color for chair and its pad, etc.

Now you can only have this frame color for that mattress color, I cannot set it flexibly. This is bs Rachel
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Yeah, I've always has a little bit of a tussle with clothing.

A shirt doesn't come in the right shade of red, or come in a color you want it in at all.

examples

screen_shot_2016_01_26_at_12_39_15_pm_by_mphattyboi-d9pekld.png
    this sweater is too light for me. I need it to be burgundy a dark wine red and maybe a black or creme button up underneath would look better than blue.

next I really love this outfit
    screen_shot_2016_01_26_at_12_39_48_pm_by_mphattyboi-d9pekl0.png

but I don't do stripes, again solid red, maybe a black coat with more length.

screen_shot_2016_01_26_at_12_40_34_pm_by_mphattyboi-d9pekku.png

I like this shirt, And I wish this came with out the anchor in a dark red and and black trim and design on the arm.

screen_shot_2016_01_26_at_12_41_01_pm_by_mphattyboi-d9pekkq.png
    these pants would look good in black.

screen_shot_2016_01_26_at_12_42_45_pm_by_mphattyboi-d9pekk3.png
    wish this dress came in emerald/black

this top

screen_shot_2016_01_26_at_12_44_29_pm_by_mphattyboi-d9pekju.png
    I wish came with the black vest, and emerald tank, and brown/gold bra.

Like I don't mind turning to CC styled clothing, for more colors and textures, but now I'm like just let me do it.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    edited January 2016
    Yes , yes we need a colour wheel, better yet bring back cast ! There are so many different shades of colours that just don't match , and don't get me started on beds and curtains!
    Also there is a cheap fridge with all kinds of colours and no stove to match , why is that?
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I loved the color wheel!
  • Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    Curtains and window decor are the main reason I would want a color wheel. You can never find any to match. Even white doesn't look white in my game.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• Options
    EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    Today, instead of playing as much as I enjoy, I ended up making a whole set of cheap counters, islands, cupboards and a bar in green using Sims 4 Studio, to try and match the cheap green fridge and green stove. I didn't get the color exact because I went by memory (not a good idea). While the color wasn't identical it turned out to be a good match and I made all the items with four different colored tops for each item. Coloring items this way is very difficult because its almost impossible to match items exactly without having them together to see if the colors do match. This added 16 more items to my CC folder. The problem is if I decide to do other colors, each time I do, I add 16 or more items to cc and guess what? Eventually I am going to end up lagging something because of all the extra items in my mod folder. If I have to do recolors for other items it becomes a nightmare. I would prefer to have items with just one similar color and then give me the option to change colors in game then have this nightmare of CC. As for clothes, I don't even bother, if I can't find something in the full body selections that is colored the same, I mix and match, grimace and get on with the game.
  • Options
    EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    Almost forgot, the other problem is that some items have different textures for different meshes, windows for example. So when you recolor those you have to do the textures for all the different meshes that each window has. This makes recoloring some items near impossible and I am sure that many just decide to use what's available as its been made too difficult. Recoloring build items has become a real nightmare in game, I don't even bother with those as well. This was so much easier to do in sims 3, just drag a color over from one window to another and bam!, now your windows and doors match, easy peasy.
  • Options
    camron6_7camron6_7 Posts: 6 New Member
    If they did the furniture coloring like they did in ts2 where u could pick separate colors for each part of the item I would be just fine.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    I would love to see the color wheel return.
  • Options
    kitangel1kitangel1 Posts: 200 Member
    As much as i would want the color wheel to come back (even if it was just for hair), I know the team would have to completely overhaul the game and well, we know that isn't going to happen. If they make a sims5 lets hope they bring back the color wheel then.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I would much prefer a color wheel to these presets. Then, Sims 4's CAS would get a 10/10. The create-a-style tool itself would be great to have again, but that's not doable, a color wheel is great too.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Hopeinen wrote: »

Ive even heard someone making the excuse that lack of color & pattern tool makes the game more realistic since you cant recolor your clothes or wallpapers in real life.
    :D

I've heard that excuse too. Yet that doesn't apply to the lack of toddlers or cars in the game, or that your sims can now instantly teleport. Biased much?
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif