Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simmers' Knitting/Crafting Circle

luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
Inspired by this topic - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/870203/what-profession-hobby-would-you-like-to-see-in-ts4 - where it seems lots of us are knitters/crocheters/quilters/etc.! I thought it might be fun to have a topic to share what we're working on and help with problems etc. :)
@LosaruTaiyo @Ceres_Meiriona @elanorbreton @Scobre

I'm a knitter. I've tried sewing, but I gave up; sewing machines hate me. I've tried crochet, but my hands won't behave at it. But knitting is great :) I mostly knit sweaters, but sometimes smaller projects for gifts or because I need new mittens or fingerless gloves. I started because I could make nice things for less than buying them, kept going out of pleasure at the process. I can't wear wool anymore, so I'm doing lots of remaking of favorites of my own.

Current projects:
- A simple, all-stockinette fingering-weight black cardigan for my daughter, who can't find one that fits her right. All on 2.75 mm needles! But a good sweater for reading or watching TV with because it's got nothing to keep track of.
- Part-frogging and remaking the top of a sleeve on my black cable-knit sweater that I just finished before Christmas because it snagged on something :/

Need-to-do next:
- New fingerless gloves! I found a Ravelry pattern I like.
EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Oh sweet! Hi everyone. I'm trying to make the Martha Stewart jail poncho. I like knitting and crocheting. I like hand sewing, but I did sew a blanket that is on my bed right now. My mom made me fingerless gloves. They are really warm.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    edited January 2016
    Aw thanks for inviting me.

My crafting is all over the place, as I tend to move to many projects and sometimes it's hard for me to keep focus.

I started at sewing in Home Ec. where we got to order a stuffed animal to sew together by hand. I obviously chose a unicorn...lol. (For anyone that has read the mythical creatures thread) and got started from there. I only handsew though. Mainly plush animals.

My gramma taught me knitting when I was younger, but I didn't do it for long. I picked it back up last year after we found some of her knitting needles at her house. I used the magic of google and youtube to relearn how to cast on the stitches. I mainly do scarves as I don't know how to knit in the round yet. That's actually how I learned to crochet.

My sister wanted a scarf and leg warmers for Christmas when she heard I knitted my own scarf. I also wanted to do her a hat so I decided as I needed done quick and I didn't know where to start knitting one, I'd learn to crochet it. Took a while and I found I was actually better at reading diagrams and instructions than youtube, I got my first hat and legwarmers made. My last crochet project was a giant amigurumi Lugia, which currently sits on my desk. I'll try to get a pic at some point.

Current Projects:

- "Wool Quilt" Was a summer project, but my Dad took sick.
    - Mirage Mew Plush: No idea when that's gonna be made.

Future Projects:
    - More Amigurumi: Not sure what yet. Probably something pokemon.
    - Finish my 'ancient scarf'. We found wool at my nan's place that was 100% sheep wool, never used, probably bought when my great grandmother was alive. I checked the tag. It was supposed to be a forest green but had faded over the years. Now I'm adding some earth tones to try and match it so I can say I have some of my grandmother's wool with me.

ADDED: I also have a rug-hooking project I still need to finish. Takes a while as my frame isn't all that good and my hands tend to cramp after so long.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    I can crochet, but, I don't do it often.
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
    br560 wrote: »

Hey whatever works. Took me forever to finally learn it. You didn't want to see what my magic circles looked like when I started. XP
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

• br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member

Hey whatever works. Took me forever to finally learn it. You didn't want to see what my magic circles looked like when I started. XP

Ah, my gran taught me.

I'm not too good at it, but, I suppose I can crochet a simple little scarf.
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
    No pressure. :3

My mom tried to teach me but again, I found I learned better online....particularly Crochet for Dummies :sweat_smile:
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Ah, my gran taught me.

I'm not too good at it, but, I suppose I can crochet a simple little scarf.

That's more than I can :) Besides, you have to start somewhere! Some of my early knitting was ... lame :)

@LosaruTaiyo I did my learning from books, and still do when I run into new techniques or figure there must be a more "proper" way to do something. My daughter uses a mix of books and YouTube (she knits and is learning weaving). I've never taken a class, but I've been thinking about it!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    I went to a class for the rug hooking. Definitely took a while to learn. XP
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

• Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    Oh oh oh! This is so cool! I totally suck at both, though, hahahaha. I was teaching myself how to crochet earlier last year and made a scarf... that was kind of crooked. LOL Apparently my count on the stitches was a little off at some point. >.< I can truly say, though, that it is one of a kind. :) My cat likes it, so hey, win win for humans and fur babies alike! It's hard for me to wrap my head around crochet, which is actually why a friend of mine recommended that I try knitting. She said when one makes sense the other doesn't, for most peeps.

I like the idea of knitting... knitting needles can double as weapons... muahahahaha. I mean, chopsticks. Yeah... chopsticks!
    Anyone else hungry now?

Anyway, you have inspired me Luth! I am going to redouble my efforts to learn how to create something awesome with yarn! Whether it's via knitting or crocheting. My sister sent me a blanket that blew my socks off. I'd like to be able to make something like that. The whole thing was this beautiful fleur de lis crochet pattern. So stunning! I'm jealous of your talent and mad hand skills!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
    @Ceres_Meiriona If it makes you feel better, there are only certain things I can crochet at the moment. And for some reason, I have totally lost how to crochet basic beanie hats. XP
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I can't knit
    I can't crochet

But I am sort of trained as a couturier.
    *flips hair*
    *sashays out of the room*
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    I can neither knit or crochet, though on the crochet front it isn't for the want of trying. I just can't get it together.

I love crafts. I have kits growing around my home. I largely enjoy rug making kits and tapestry kits.
    Arletta wrote: »
    I can neither knit or crochet, though on the crochet front it isn't for the want of trying. I just can't get it together.

I love crafts. I have kits growing around my home. I largely enjoy rug making kits and tapestry kits.

Hey, those are crafts too.

I go to a crafter's circle every Tuesday. The majority of the ladies there (We just simply don't have guys is all) all make quilts. I don't have a sewing machine and no way I'm hand sewing a giant quilt so I stick to my wool....lol.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

• despina53despina53 Posts: 1,654 Member
    I crochet, do needle crafts ( cross-stitch, crewelwork ), and assemble silk/dried flower arrangements. I never could figure out knitting :confused: but crocheting just flies by.

Hubby and I spent 3 wks with his mother last summer and she couldn't believe how fast I was crocheting a blanket/throw for my oldest granddaughter. She's a knitter, quilter, and does some crocheting. She sent all her crochet thread and patterns back with me so I could try my hand at making doilies. Her hands can't take the really small stuff anymore.

Daughter # 3 wanted to learn how to crochet but I couldn't teach her since she's a leftie. She used YouTube and found a really good left-handed teacher. She can actually do more different patterns than I can and she's only been crocheting for about 2 years now :mrgreen: !
    Call me Dee :p
    Proud member of the "Own The Store Club"
  • RaishaRaisha Posts: 129 Member
    I love crafting of several kinds. Sometimes I just get the itch to make something with my hands and have to start a new project. I just crocheted a bunch of presents for Christmas, mostly amigurumi, and then I kept that momentum going after the holidays. Now I'm actually making something for me. First I made a pouch to keep all of my crochet hooks in (because they were getting scattered across the house), and then I just finished these tiny sweaters for some dolls:
    23737730893_2cfe17b0aa_z.jpgSweater weather by Kristen, on Flickr

They're a little thick, but I just got a thinner type of yarn, so I'll try that next. If you follow the link to my Flickr gallery you can see more of what I've made (mixed in with a lot of doll photos).

Mostly, I've been into making miniatures and doll accessories in the past six months. Crochet is fun and easy for me (I haven't done knitting for a while), I've sewn a few outfits, repainted some doll furniture, and I have a whole multipack of fimo clay waiting for sculpting. I guess I like the challenge of making things on a tiny scale and setting up little scenes for my dolls to make it look like they're alive. It's like decorating in The Sims but in real life. ;)

Oh, and I'm thinking of making a birthday present for myself soon. I plan on seeing the new movie, Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, and I was thinking of sewing a Regency dress to wear. But that's a pretty big project and I don't know if I can pull it off in only a month. The sewing itself won't take that long but tracking down the right fabric, making space to work on it, etc. is part of the battle, too.
    disneysig3.jpg
    The Disney Legacy: 2/5 chapter: 3.4 Fill the World with Sunshine
    @LosaruTaiyo My husband says I should tell you about what his late mother called her rug-hooking group, but I had to tell him it would probably just come out "plum" here :D She did rug-hooking and quilting - my kids all have quilts she made. I think one of my brothers-in-law ended up with the wall-art "rugs". Also, what do you call those rugs you make out of fabric scraps?
    edited January 2016
    @LosaruTaiyo My husband says I should tell you about what his late mother called her rug-hooking group, but I had to tell him it would probably just come out "plum" here :D She did rug-hooking and quilting - my kids all have quilts she made. I think one of my brothers-in-law ended up with the wall-art "rugs". Also, what do you call those rugs you make out of fabric scraps?

I'm honestly not exactly sure. I think we just used to call them fabric rugs. My grandmother did a few when she was younger that are still over at her house. Only thing I know that would be a 'special term' is what we call "Grenfell-Style" based on patterns by Sir Wilfred Grenfell and the way you hook the wool, or fabric, one row at a time. Almost like a typewriter or printer except takes a lot longer...lol.

Maybe it was the Happy 🐸🐸🐸🐸? :D That's what a rug-hooking group where my folks live jokingly called themselves from time to time.

EDIT: I had to test it and no, wasn't censored...LOL. Interesting actually, given what terms are usually turned to 'plum'

EDIT EDIT: Looks like it plummed out after all. :D

Post edited by LosaruTaiyo on
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

Well! She'd be disappointed that "🐸🐸🐸🐸" didn't get plummed :D
    edited January 2016
    Was checking on spelling and found an article. Those fabric rugs are called "Silk-Stocking Mats" as usually stockings were used. Great way to recycle pantyhose and stockings with holes and runs in them. I generally use fabric scraps as stuffing for when I am out of stuffing for plushies. Takes time to cut it all into a pile of tiny squares, but at least I have less to toss out.

ADDED: Here's the article.

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/articles/arts/silk-mats.php
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

Hey Crafty people quick question for those that crochet/knit. You ever get hand cramps?

Now granted, I work with my hands all the time as I work in a library, but I find when crocheting that after finishing a granny square for example, my hand tends to ache a bit.

I find, aside from a short break, that massaging helps a bit. Anyone got any other tips to help with it or do you use anything such as special needles or hooks?
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,833 Member
    I do it all. Or maybe I should say I have done it all. I haven't sewn in ages but I made all the dresses for my bridesmaids and all the halloween costumes for my two boys when they were little. My favs were a Garfield costume and Pink Panther.
    http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-9387-Garfield-Costume-Childrens/dp/B00FNCPQCW
    http://stores.seesallysew.com/pink-panther-halloween-costume-mccalls-2748-childs-pattern-sz-6-8/
    I also like how you can easily whip up a cute little summer dress for a quarter of the price you'd pay in a store.

I knit and crochet but tend to never actually finish anything. I have so many unfinished projects.

My favorite would have to be cross-stitch and needlepoint. My son and daughter-in-law gave me a lovely kit for Christmas that I'll be starting soon.
    I do it all. Or maybe I should say I have done it all. I haven't sewn in ages but I made all the dresses for my bridesmaids and all the halloween costumes for my two boys when they were little. My favs were a Garfield costume and Pink Panther.
    http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-9387-Garfield-Costume-Childrens/dp/B00FNCPQCW
    http://stores.seesallysew.com/pink-panther-halloween-costume-mccalls-2748-childs-pattern-sz-6-8/
    I also like how you can easily whip up a cute little summer dress for a quarter of the price you'd pay in a store.

I knit and crochet but tend to never actually finish anything. I have so many unfinished projects.

My favorite would have to be cross-stitch and needlepoint. My son and daughter-in-law gave me a lovely kit for Christmas that I'll be starting soon.

Don't worry. I think that's a common thing amongst crafters. I have a handful of things I haven't finished yet and I know the ladies in my crafting circle on Tuesdays always have stuff, usually quilts, that aren't finished. :D They'll get there though. I still pick at my rug hooking from time to time, although my main focus is my afghan at the moment as that will take a long time to do. I've calculated that I need about 500 or so squares to make it.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

@LosaruTaiyo - I get that too from really long days of knitting. I used to get it from really long days of writing, back when I mostly wrote longhand. I've seen people suggest managing it with stretching and squeezing rubber balls. I'm at the keyboard much of the day for work and often stop to bend my hand out as much as I can the opposite direction, palms down and aiming all my fingers up, and holding it. I do the same thing now and then when I'm knitting. Need to remind myself to do the same for my back too more often.
    @LosaruTaiyo - I get that too from really long days of knitting. I used to get it from really long days of writing, back when I mostly wrote longhand. I've seen people suggest managing it with stretching and squeezing rubber balls. I'm at the keyboard much of the day for work and often stop to bend my hand out as much as I can the opposite direction, palms down and aiming all my fingers up, and holding it. I do the same thing now and then when I'm knitting. Need to remind myself to do the same for my back too more often.

I still write my stories longhand if it's novelwork...lol. I just know that notebooks don't crash. They can get wet, burn, and all that, but they are easier to replace. Cheaper too. :D

I'll keep that in mind, especially when I get back to working on my scarf. I can't crochet scarves for the life of me. :P
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

@simgirl1010 I've inherited unfinished projects from other people - my grandmother, my other grandmother, my mom, my mother-in-law... They're never ones I would have picked to do! I think I still have some of them sitting around because I feel bad when I just get rid of them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top