Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Update to The Sims 3 Website / Store

Comments

• bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Maybe fixing the exchange is on the same priority list as toddlers :grimace:
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    ScottDemon wrote: »
    Are you in Europe? I think there might be a problem with the EA servers for some of those countries.
    *Edit*
    Just tried downloading something it went very slow usually a sign of DDoS attack considering how things have been going it wouldn't surprise me

Its a problem

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/865619/the-exchange-is-borked#latest

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/869519/problem-with-the-exchange-since-december#latest

Thanks just took a look at those.
    And I didn't like what I read looks like they are going to let it die

Would not surprise me if the exchange is going away . They are constantly purging the exchange to make room for new uploads. Many people have lost their creations thinking they were safe to leave things on the exchange. Never know when EA will get rid of your creations.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Are you in Europe? I think there might be a problem with the EA servers for some of those countries.
    *Edit*
    Just tried downloading something it went very slow usually a sign of DDoS attack considering how things have been going it wouldn't surprise me

Its a problem

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/869519/problem-with-the-exchange-since-december#latest

Would not surprise me if the exchange is going away . They are constantly purging the exchange to make room for new uploads. Many people have lost their creations thinking they were safe to leave things on the exchange. Never know when EA will get rid of your creations.

The Exchange was never meant to be "cloud" storage for people's creations. It has always been purged which to my mind only makes sense since eventually it gets to the point of collapsing in on itself. Those uploads do end up using massive amounts of server space. How many thousands of 50+ MB Sims can a server handle anyway? Seriously, I've downloaded Sims for which the Sims3Pack files were as large, if not larger, than many worlds I've downloaded because they were loaded up with CC. Eventually that stuff has to be cleaned out.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    *Edit*

Its a problem

The Exchange was never meant to be "cloud" storage for people's creations. It has always been purged which to my mind only makes sense since eventually it gets to the point of collapsing in on itself. Those uploads do end up using massive amounts of server space. How many thousands of 50+ MB Sims can a server handle anyway? Seriously, I've downloaded Sims for which the Sims3Pack files were as large, if not larger, than many worlds I've downloaded because they were loaded up with CC. Eventually that stuff has to be cleaned out.

When you read the information EA posted about using the Exchange it clearly states the Exchange is purged regularly to make it usable and not clogged with massive amounts of builds/sims that people don't particularly want to download. And it also says not to use it as safe storage for your builds. I've written this info so many times now. But people still assume it is meant to be a place to safely store their stuff.
    *Edit*

Its a problem

I know why they do it and it would not surprise me if they tried to get rid of it entirely.
    @Karritz and @phoebebebe13 if my post came along as being argumentative toward you two I apologize. I'm not the best at wording things today and what I was meaning is in agreement with both of you. The Exchange was never meant for long-term storage but somehow a lot of people never understood that. My daughter and I used to upload quite a bit of our things to the TS2 Exchange but we always kept them on our website too since we knew eventually they'd be culled from the Exchange. It never seemed to matter how many downloads they had, either, we'd just load up our accounts and everything would be cleaned out.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    @Karritz and @phoebebebe13 if my post came along as being argumentative toward you two I apologize. I'm not the best at wording things today and what I was meaning is in agreement with both of you. The Exchange was never meant for long-term storage but somehow a lot of people never understood that. My daughter and I used to upload quite a bit of our things to the TS2 Exchange but we always kept them on our website too since we knew eventually they'd be culled from the Exchange. It never seemed to matter how many downloads they had, either, we'd just load up our accounts and everything would be cleaned out.

I didn't think you were being argumentative.

Sorry if I gave you that impression.

I didn't think you were being argumentative either
    *Phew!* I just wanted to make sure. I think sometimes I come across not at all how I intended. :flushed:
  • fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hmm - how do you delete a post???
    Firby nurbs!
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,280 Member
    fxchrfxchr wrote: »

You can't delete your post but you can edit it. The only way to have a post deleted is to ask a SimGuru to delete it for you... :)
    > @lisasc360 said:
    > fxchrfxchr wrote: »
    >
    > Hmm - how do you delete a post???
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You can't delete your post but you can edit it. The only way to have a post deleted is to ask a SimGuru to delete it for you... :)

Thanks! I'll just leave it then...
    Firby nurbs!
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,280 Member
    > @lisasc360 said:
    > fxchrfxchr wrote: »
    >
    > Hmm - how do you delete a post???
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You can't delete your post but you can edit it. The only way to have a post deleted is to ask a SimGuru to delete it for you... :)

Thanks! I'll just leave it then...

You're welcome.. :)

• Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    No they can't force Steam users on to Origin or take away Store that would violate so many State and Federal Laws they would never get away with it. Plus Valve wouldn't just sit back and let them do it either.

I understand several games on Steam from Ubisoft require both Steam and Uplay to run. If true, then it seems to me it's possible EA could do the same with Origin.

Ubisoft is a Canadian based game company and are exempt within reason from certain laws they are a different story altogether

Ubisoft is a FRENCH company, from FRANCE, with its HQ in Paris, though it does have a lot of offices in Canada...
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    No they can't force Steam users on to Origin or take away Store that would violate so many State and Federal Laws they would never get away with it. Plus Valve wouldn't just sit back and let them do it either.

I understand several games on Steam from Ubisoft require both Steam and Uplay to run. If true, then it seems to me it's possible EA could do the same with Origin.

Ubisoft is a Canadian based game company and are exempt within reason from certain laws they are a different story altogether

Unless exempted by a treaty they'd still be subject to U.S. laws. The comment was more geared to the technical possibility rather than anything legal.

Not exactly... If you purchase something internationally, they you solicit the transaction, and it is presumed to be taking place at the location of the solicited party. Tricky part is, those company spam us so bad that one could argue that, actually, the average gamer is the solicited party.
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    edited January 2016

As far as I know, you cant. However, you can edit it to "....." so people understand you wanted to take it out...
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    You know... this reminds me of the Sims 2 BBS and how the Exchange was borked about a year after TS3 release. Nothing with any expansions/stuffs were able to upload... The site was totally closed about a year or two after. Ah, the memories. :(
  • ddutoitddutoit Posts: 147 Member
    Well the longer I patiently and sweetly wait to be treated like a well respected and appreciated client - the more EA makes me feel like a TOTAL TOOL! Well done. You are actually good at something EA - no effort required on your part!
    ❤️✿ I have a speech impediment ... my foot ✿❤️
    http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/ddutoit
    ddutoit wrote: »
    Well the longer I patiently and sweetly wait to be treated like a well respected and appreciated client - the more EA makes me feel like a TOTAL TOOL! Well done. You are actually good at something EA - no effort required on your part!

I can't say here what is in my brain at the moment because it would most likely be considered "casting aspersions" which is against the rules. So I'll just say welcome to "our world"! :D
  • ddutoitddutoit Posts: 147 Member
    Lol, sorry if I am annoying @BSIRegina - I am just so No 1'd off with everything lately. Then I behave like No 2. Sorry ;) I should know better - sometimes my inner 2 year old rules ... I will give her a smack.
    ❤️✿ I have a speech impediment ... my foot ✿❤️
    http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/ddutoit
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    @ddutoit nah, don't smack her. Sometimes you have to let that inner toddler out, have your feel good tantrum and then put that toddler back away. Good for the pysche. :) Besides, we are the little redheaded stepchild of the franchise now and they need to know we still exist and want our toys fixed!!!!!!!

• Imabrat999Imabrat999 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Lexers615 said:
    > ScottDemon wrote: »
    >
    > TreyNutz wrote: »
    >
    >
    > No they can't force Steam users on to Origin or take away Store that would violate so many State and Federal Laws they would never get away with it. Plus Valve wouldn't just sit back and let them do it either.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I understand several games on Steam from Ubisoft require both Steam and Uplay to run. If true, then it seems to me it's possible EA could do the same with Origin.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Ubisoft is a Canadian based game company and are exempt within reason from certain laws they are a different story altogether
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Ubisoft is a FRENCH company, from FRANCE, with its HQ in Paris, though it does have a lot of offices in Canada...

Nice capitalizing of course on the internet that's the same as yelling guess you think your special
    Imabrat999 wrote: »
    > @Lexers615 said:
    >
    > TreyNutz wrote: »
    >
    >
    > No they can't force Steam users on to Origin or take away Store that would violate so many State and Federal Laws they would never get away with it. Plus Valve wouldn't just sit back and let them do it either.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I understand several games on Steam from Ubisoft require both Steam and Uplay to run. If true, then it seems to me it's possible EA could do the same with Origin.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Ubisoft is a Canadian based game company and are exempt within reason from certain laws they are a different story altogether
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Ubisoft is a FRENCH company, from FRANCE, with its HQ in Paris, though it does have a lot of offices in Canada...

Nice capitalizing of course on the internet that's the same as yelling guess you think your special

Just poor manners IMO
    Firby nurbs!
    Or merely emphasizing. Capitalization isn't generally considered yelling until it's an entire sentence or post. Typing a single word in all caps is an acceptable form of emphasis, one that pre-dates the internet.
  • MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    The Exchange has reached the point where it now lists the uploads of the last year, instead of just the last month. Sadness abounds.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.