Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I can't hire a butler anymore in sims 3? Help!

For some reason, I can't hire a butler anymore, even for a new family. The option doesn't even show up anymore. A maid will, but I want a butler. Has anybody else been having this problem, or does anybody have a solution to it? Anything would be helpful! Thank you!

Comments

• Kiya_ElleKiya_Elle Posts: 145 Member
    The butler comes with the Late Night expansion. Is Late Night installed/enabled?
    My Avatar is from the painting Ursa by len-yan
    http://len-yan.deviantart.com/art/ursa-478030083
  • themarvelspiderthemarvelspider Posts: 42 Member
    Yes it is.

• Kiya_ElleKiya_Elle Posts: 145 Member
    If you recently added new expansions, more services may have been added - double check that you don't have a scrollbar now ito the right of the services window with the butler available further down the list.
    My Avatar is from the painting Ursa by len-yan
    http://len-yan.deviantart.com/art/ursa-478030083
  • TheSimsFan96TheSimsFan96 Posts: 102 Member
    One of the problems I've encountered before would be if you are in a town with apartments (Bridgeport for example) and if you hire a butler for your current house, they'll do their duties and will exhibit their normal behavior. This is until if you switch your active household, if you do that they'll leave sometime when you're playing your other family and get stuck in the apartment shells. This makes it very irritating as you can't end services with them, or hire a new butler, and the worst part you'll still have to pay for them just being the laziest 'butler' out there! An option not showing up could be the case for you if all the butlers are used. If you have NRAAS Master Controller you can click on the City Hall, click on the advanced tab and try to 'Reset Everything', this may help your situation as it resets all the sims and objects ever in your town.
  • _anniiieee__anniiieee_ Posts: 1 New Member
    I recently started playing sim 3 on a 3ds and I can't find the option to hire anyone!!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I recently started playing sim 3 on a 3ds and I can't find the option to hire anyone!!
    The console versions of TS3 are very different from the computer version of the game -- this forum is really mostly for players on PCs and Macs. There wouldn't be a LateNite expansion for console, are you sure that the option to hire a butler is even supposed to exist?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TheRubySimmerTheRubySimmer Posts: 24 Member
    > @igazor said:
    > _anniiieee_ wrote: »
    >
    > I recently started playing sim 3 on a 3ds and I can't find the option to hire anyone!!
    >
    >
    >
    > The console versions of TS3 are very different from the computer version of the game -- this forum is really mostly for players on PCs and Macs. There wouldn't be a LateNite expansion for console, are you sure that the option to hire a butler is even supposed to exist?

She said ANYONE,

as in maid, adoption service, etc
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member

She said ANYONE,

That doesn't change the fact that if the person who posted about the 3ds version is looking for help, they aren't going to find it here.
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »

She said ANYONE,

That doesn't change the fact that if the person who posted about the 3ds version is looking for help, they aren't going to find it here.

Even if they said anyone, if they could figure out why one wasnt available they could maybe figure out why all werent. But, like Igazor and IreneSwift said they probably arent gonna get an answer here.
    edited August 2017
    It's not so much that we hate console games with a burning passion or anything here. Well, maybe some of us do but that would be an individual personal issue. It's more that most of us don't play them and only know that they are very different, so we are unable to offer informed, meaningful advice. :/

The reason my response referenced butlers in particular is that was the topic of this thread originally. But for other services like maids and adoption, afraid the answer remains that I, and most of us here, would have no idea.

The only console I actually own is a Sega Genesis. I guess it's a miracle that it still works. When I want a flashback experience to 1992 or so, I'll play Sonic 2 for a while and then the feeling passes. Not helpful at all I know, just some background info. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »

The only console I actually own is a Sega Genesis. I guess it's a miracle that it still works. When I want a flashback experience to 1992 or so, I'll play Sonic 2 for a while and then the feeling passes. Not helpful at all I know, just some background info. :)

Totally unrelated to this topic but this reminds me of this show I am watching with my parents at dinner about video games of the 80s. I had heard of the commodore 64 before but never seen one, and then they said it was called 64 because it had 64 kilobytes of space and I had to stop myself from bursting out laughing - thinking now of my terabyte laptop and the fact that some of the CC I download for sims is 2-3x 64kb. I mean OBVIOUSLY I knew early computers and consoles had very limited space, but I was thinking like mb sort of small...the fact that it was kb caught me way off guard :D
    edited August 2017
    @cleo00 - Never had the honor of owning one, but I'm pretty sure that the 64 refers to 64kb of RAM. Most of these early home PCs didn't have hard drives (mine didn't, although it wasn't a Commodore and this was later in the 80s), we had to load up the operating system from removable media every time we started it up, and use other removable media to store stuff. Mine was special, it had two (wow!) internal floppy drives and a much faster modem (1200 baud or something) than its peers. It's still pretty amazing what we could do with them, could you imagine trying to run Windows on 64 kb of RAM? :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    edited August 2017
    I had a Commadore 64. We bought magazines and typed the program in from the magazine to play a game. Later I bought a tape drive so we could save and not have to type it in every time. Later I got a disk drive for it. I don't remember if I ever bought a game for it. Got a Commadore Amiga a few years later. It was much more like a Mac to use with icons on its desktop and spell checker and we bought games for it.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @Karritz I so remember that! My brother wanted to play games and I was a good typist so guess who would type all the programs in for him? Fun days :p
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited August 2017
    igazor wrote: »
    @cleo00 - Never had the honor of owning one, but I'm pretty sure that the 64 refers to 64kb of RAM. Most of these early home PCs didn't have hard drives (mine didn't, although it wasn't a Commodore and this was later in the 80s), we had to load up the operating system from removable media every time we started it up, and use other removable media to store stuff. Mine was special, it had two (wow!) internal floppy drives and a much faster modem (1200 baud or something) than its peers. It's still pretty amazing what we could do with them, could you imagine trying to run Windows on 64 kb of RAM? :)

I had an Apple IIe clone and it only came with 16KB RAM. Yep...lots of fun...programming in Basic. Most of the younger kids have it so easy nowadays. :D IF...THEN...ELSE commands used to drive me friggin' insane. There was a reason why I didn't go into computer programming. :p
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I took a computer programming class as an elective in college. We used Basic, and put the program and data on punch cards, then took them to the computer room and gave them to the people that ran the computer, which took up pretty much the whole room. Then they ran them through and gave us the printouts with the results.

I don't remember what exactly the first computer we had was. I think it was a Radio Shack. It had two 5" floppy drives. You used one of them to read the program, and the other to save your data. There was no mouse, only a keyboard, and the monitor was monochrome, green and white. My sons were elementary school age then, homeschooled. They learned programming with that computer, on their own, and later with the PS1 we got afterward. The PS1 had a 2 megabyte hard drive, a mouse, and a color monitor, which were quite an upgrade from the first computer. The OS was DOS. Later, we got a major upgrade, when we put Windows 3.5 on it.

Both of my sons are computer professionals now.
    @igazor yes! Wow, thats the first time i've ever mixed up drive space and ram...what time did I post that at? Zzzz. Zzzz.
    @Nikkei_Simmer I hated If Then Else as well. I took an easy as plum computer class last semester - pretty sure it was for people who just found out computers were a thing - and we used SNAP to do little assignments. I always got 90-100% but MAN WAS IT BORING. But as my first dive into anything programming related the colorful self-explanitory blocks/puzzle pieces were very nice.