March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I add expansion pack discs to downloaded Sims 3?

Lferris2Lferris2 Posts: 4 New Member
I recently got a new computer and I want to load my game to my new computer but I can't find my original Sims 3 disc, I can only find my expansion packs discs. My question is does anyone know if I can download Sims 3 from Origin to my new computer and then add my expansion pack discs? I will also have to completely start over again too, right?

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I understand that Origin downloads and disk installs are compatible with each other. If you install the base game digitally though you'll be at patch level 1.69 automatically. If you have the EPs registered with Origin you could install digital versions of everything if you wanted.

If you don't want to start over again (i.e. continue with your old games) you'll have to migrate your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder to your new computer.
  • Lferris2Lferris2 Posts: 4 New Member
    Thank you so much
  • Herb405Herb405 Posts: 13 New Member
    I've seen alot about disks and downloads being compatible but... I have a 3rd party world adventures extension disc currently loaded on my pc.. But the key code has been used already by the previous owner which renders me unable to register the expansion pack online to get access to extra material or play online.
    Here's the big question...
    If I download a new extension digital key code of World Adventures ( to be able to register online), do I need to uninstall the disc version first before I download the digital key ?
    Or would the digital download key replace the disc version automatically to play the extension to its full capacity?
    Any advice would be grateful thanks. :)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    Herb405 wrote: »
    I've seen alot about disks and downloads being compatible but... I have a 3rd party world adventures extension disc currently loaded on my pc.. But the key code has been used already by the previous owner which renders me unable to register the expansion pack online to get access to extra material or play online.
    Here's the big question...
    If I download a new extension digital key code of World Adventures ( to be able to register online), do I need to uninstall the disc version first before I download the digital key ?
    Or would the digital download key replace the disc version automatically to play the extension to its full capacity?
    Any advice would be grateful thanks. :)
    I believe that as long as you obtain a valid Origin code for the EP from a legitimate source, then it doesn't matter how the install was originally done (disc vs. digital). But the worst case is that you would just have to uninstall WA and install the Origin digital version.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Thanks I just wondered but after really thinking about it, the 2 versions (disc & digital) are from different threads so I can't download the digital key code and expect it to work on my already installed disc version. I imagine one won't run with the other to make one working package or just over-write the other.
    I don't know what "different threads" means, sorry. Are we talking about a legitimate purchase of the EP by way of Origin or from an authorized reseller? If so, then Origin can be used to manage mixed installs of disc and digital. If we are talking about pirated codes, then all bets are off and this conversation never happened.

But again, it shouldn't be so bad if that just plain doesn't work and you have to reinstall the digital version of one EP in order to use a legitimate code.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    By different threads I mean that each version has its own unique key code to be able to register online. So if I'm using an installed 3rd party disk version at the moment without registration access, I can't now go and download a digital key version on top of it because each of them have their own separate unique key product code. So I'd have to uninstall the disc version first.
    There is no piracy involved in anything I'm talking about. The 3rd party disc Im talking about I bought on eBay legitimately from a previous owner who already used the key code before me but didn't say so in the advert. I bought the expansion without knowing the key code was used. A common thing on eBay that doesn't always occur to people.. Ain't hindsight grand...
    Right, but what I was trying to say was that Origin can manage disc installs. I still think this should work but it shouldn't be very stressful if it doesn't and you have to reinstall one EP. Origin and disc installs are supposed to be cross-compatible. And my apologies for what must have sounded like a false accusation but, as I am sure you can imagine, we get all kinds of such questions in here.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • TakaraTajiTakaraTaji Posts: 6 New Member
    I actually have this exact same question/problem... but I've already downloaded the original sims 3 because I cant find my original sims 3 disk, but when I go to install my expansion packs (which are all on disk), it says I have to have the original sims downloaded first.
    edited May 2017
    TakaraTaji wrote: »
    I actually have this exact same question/problem... but I've already downloaded the original sims 3 because I cant find my original sims 3 disk, but when I go to install my expansion packs (which are all on disk), it says I have to have the original sims downloaded first.
    If you have discs for the expansion packs and they are registered to you (or can be now), then the digital versions of the EPs should become available through Origin for install along with the base game. Or is this not what you were asking?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    > @igazor said:
    >
    >
    >
    > If you have discs for the expansion packs and they are registered to you (or can be now), then the digital versions of the EPs should become available through Origin for install along with the base game. Or is this not what you were asking?

Maybe. I guess he bought the original through Steam though, not origin. So we have the original downloaded on the computer, and I have three Expansion pack disks I want to add, but it wont let me install them because it says I dont have the original installed.
    edited May 2017
    @TakaraTaji - The Steam version of the game is different. You cannot mix and match Steam installs with Origin/disc if that's what the problem is here, the install has to be all Steam or all EA.

What you could do is uninstall the Steam version and use the Origin code that came along with it for free to install the Origin version of the base game instead. Then add the EP/SPs.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    > @igazor said:
    > @TakaraTaji - The Steam version of the game is different. You cannot mix and match Steam installs with Origin/disc if that's what the problem is here, the install has to be all Steam or all EA.
    >
    > What you could do is uninstall the Steam version and use the Origin code that came along with it for free to install the Origin version of the base game instead. Then add the EP/SPs.

Thanks for helping me out. Trying to figure this all out, I have to code that that steam version gave us, cant figure out though where to go in origin to enter the code. When I select the sims 3 game, it's only giving me the option to buy it.
    > @igazor said:
    > @TakaraTaji - The Steam version of the game is different. You cannot mix and match Steam installs with Origin/disc if that's what the problem is here, the install has to be all Steam or all EA.
    >
    > What you could do is uninstall the Steam version and use the Origin code that came along with it for free to install the Origin version of the base game instead. Then add the EP/SPs.

So we actually just refunded the game through steam. If I go to buy the original sims game through origin now, it should let me install the expansion packs, correct?
    edited May 2017
    You should have been able to register the code Steam gave you in order to get the Origin version at no extra charge. But now that's off the table (or the offer to do so wasn't coming up for you), so you will need to uninstall the current version of the base game you have, if it's still in place, before purchasing and installing the Origin version. The problem here is not where you have purchased the game. It's that you do not seem to have the Origin version of the base game installed.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    > @igazor said:
    > You should have been able to register the code Steam gave you in order to get the Origin version at no extra charge. But now that's off the table (or the offer to do so wasn't coming up for you), so you will need to uninstall the current version of the base game you have, if it's still in place, before purchasing and installing the Origin version. The problem here is not where you have purchased the game. It's that you do not seem to have the Origin version of the base game installed.

That's correct.. I didnt have it installed, that's what I was trying to get. I just want to be able to install the 3 expansion pack DISKS I have with a downloadable original version... if that makes sense.
    edited May 2017
    I'm sorry, I don't know how else to say this. In order to install an expansion pack from either disc or Origin, you need a base game installed by either disc or Origin. Those you can mix and match. Steam installs are a separate thing altogether and will need to be removed if you haven't already done so in order to proceed.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    > @igazor said:
    > I'm sorry, I don't know how else to say this. In order to install an expansion pack from either disc or Origin, you need a base game installed by either disc or Origin. Those you can mix and match. Steam installs are a separate thing altogether and will need to be removed if you haven't already done so in order to proceed.

Well I got it working - Got the original from origin. It worked better anyway. was $10 cheaper, plus got an extra bonus expansion pack haha. Thanks for your time and help :)
  • joBaggerjoBagger Posts: 37 Member
    Hello, I am not sure it is the right place to ask my question but I don't want to start a new thread. I have many EP installed from discs and the last one is University. Now I want to buy Adventures which was the first EP. Is it possible? Won"t it ruin my game? Please advise!
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,258 Member
    @joBagger, You still can add World Adventures to your game as it doesn't matter which order that they are installed in. But just remember that you will still start your game with the University disc if you have installed the game from the disc. With TS3, you really don't need to worry about installing the packs in any order like we did with TS2 even though there are people who will say to do that but it's perfectly fine to install out of order... :)
  • joBaggerjoBagger Posts: 37 Member
    Thanks for the info. I will do it right away and see hiw it goes
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,258 Member
    joBagger wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I will do it right away and see hiw it goes

You're welcome... :)
  • Superstargirl808Superstargirl808 Posts: 1 New Member
    When I tried downloading Walmart disc of sims 3 pets or island paradise to the steam bought sims 3 it said I need to download the sims but I already did does anyone have a idea to fix my problem
    edited July 2017
    When I tried downloading Walmart disc of sims 3 pets or island paradise to the steam bought sims 3 it said I need to download the sims but I already did does anyone have a idea to fix my problem
    Hi there. For the fourth or fifth time on this thread alone, we cannot mix Origin/disc installs with Steam installs. They are two different gaming platforms and the versions of the game they each provide are different.

When you purchase Origin/discs, they can run on Origin/discs only. Steam won't recognize or know anything about those installations and they will actually get in its way.

When you purchase Steam, you can install on Steam and then purchase more from Steam to add to them. OR you can not use Steam at all and instead install everything on Origin using the codes that Steam provides free with purchase. THAT kind of install you can add more Origin/disc EPs to.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!