Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

MacBook Pro players, does your game slow down as more packs are installed ?

I have all the game packs and eps . Recently I just bought two stuff packs and I feel that the game is taking longer to load and especially my laptop gets hot fast . Does any MacBook Pro players experience the same ? It worries me that at some point I will not be able to enjoy TS4 anymore like what happens to ts3 !

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Depends on the MBP. If it is a 15" quad core i7 with dedicated graphics then yes, that would be unusual as they are powerful machines. If it is a 13" then not really. They have dual core processors with integrated graphics so will struggle as more oomph is needed in game, especially in community lots, large households, bigger saves, lots of CC, more interactions, more populated towns etc.

Try turning graphics options down. Also 4Gb is the minimum RAM, 8Gb is recommended and 16Gb, if your Mac supports it, is perfect. My game has gone over 8Gb RAM before when testing a bloated save for a PC player.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I have one with a dedicated graphic card . Yet I feel it is struggling even at medium graphic setting
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    My laptop is definitely making more loud fan noise since I bought the two stuff packs . I now have all packs excluding ice cream and spooky stuff packs . It is worrying as I cannot imagine playing seasons as my laptop will become so hot and noisy :(
  • Options
    KitCastKitCast Posts: 12 New Member
    Depends on the MBP. If it is a 15" quad core i7 with dedicated graphics then yes, that would be unusual as they are powerful machines. If it is a 13" then not really. They have dual core processors with integrated graphics so will struggle as more oomph is needed in game, especially in community lots, large households, bigger saves, lots of CC, more interactions, more populated towns etc.

Try turning graphics options down. Also 4Gb is the minimum RAM, 8Gb is recommended and 16Gb, if your Mac supports it, is perfect. My game has gone over 8Gb RAM before when testing a bloated save for a PC player.

Hi since you are really active in the sims mac community I want to ask you something.
    I have a macbook pro 13" 4GB RAM Intel HD Graphics 4000 I haven't experienced any problem in this 2 years that I been playing the sims 4 and the sims 3 as well (my computer only have almost 3 years old) it gets hot sometimes but it runs really great out of the laptop mode with most of the settings at high and the view distance the only thing that is at medium is the lighting I think, but since my changer adapter isn't working well sometimes it shut down the machine but that also happened when I used photoshop (really heavy files with lots of layers) so my question is... Are things things happening because of the charger (it is actually in really bad condition) or the computer is getting weak because of the time and the good hard working it have been through? Can too much playing affect the lifetime of a computer?

P.S Sorry if I committed some grammar mistakes English is not my native language. Yo hablo español.
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    I have all the game packs and eps . Recently I just bought two stuff packs and I feel that the game is taking longer to load and especially my laptop gets hot fast . Does any MacBook Pro players experience the same ? It worries me that at some point I will not be able to enjoy TS4 anymore like what happens to ts3 !

Of course. The game has more to load, so yes, naturally it's going to take longer, and it's going to be more taxing on the computer. That is perfectly normal, and that is why the average laptop lifespan is only 3-4 years before an upgrade is considered worthwhile.
    KitCast wrote: »
    I have a macbook pro 13" 4GB RAM Intel HD Graphics 4000 I haven't experienced any problem in this 2 years that I been playing the sims 4 and the sims 3 as well (my computer only have almost 3 years old) it gets hot sometimes but it runs really great out of the laptop mode with most of the settings at high and the view distance the only thing that is at medium is the lighting I think, but since my changer adapter isn't working well sometimes it shut down the machine but that also happened when I used photoshop (really heavy files with lots of layers) so my question is... Are things things happening because of the charger (it is actually in really bad condition) or the computer is getting weak because of the time and the good hard working it have been through? Can too much playing affect the lifetime of a computer?

P.S Sorry if I committed some grammar mistakes English is not my native language. Yo hablo español.

If it's a charger problem, then it's just shutting off because the battery is dead. If the battery is NOT dead and it is still shutting off, then that means the computer is getting too hot and it's shutting down to protect itself from damage. Yes, playing too much will affect the life of the computer. The more something is used, the more likely it is to wear out/break or become damaged from heat - especially on a Mac laptop, which are not physically designed for gaming.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    KitCast wrote: »

Hi since you are really active in the sims mac community I want to ask you something.

There is a thread on HD 4000 Graphics http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/816146/intel-hd-4000-graphics-cards/p5
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @KitCast - Everything that @Nearia35 said but I have to disagree on one thing... If you look after your Mac properly when playing games then it will still last you years, IF you understand its limitations and don't push it.
    • Always make sure your Mac is elevated at least 1cm when playing (resting it on the edge of 2 DVD cases would do) or you could use a cooling fan stand of some sort. It will get hot and the aluminium casing is designed to very efficiently dissipate the heat but air needs to be allowed to circulate around it.
    • Don't have the screen resting against a cushion/blanket/duvet etc. either because the vents are in the hinge below the screen.
    • Up your RAM to 8Gb (2x 4Gb) so it's not struggling to run the 64-bit game and your OS and whatever else you have running at the same time.
    • DON'T play with your settings too high. Your game will lag and your Mac will struggle so it will get hot, very hot.
    • Listen to your Mac. If the fan is constantly spinning at 6000rpm then it's time to stop playing for a bit. iStat is a great app which helps you monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures and keep a eye on your fan speeds. Please don't download any app that can manually override the fan speeds, they can cause damage if not used properly.

Oh and the charger issue? It will be damaging your battery's life if it's not being charged properly
    apple-signature.png