Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Did You Get Hooked on The Sims?

Comments

• TheDinorhinoTheDinorhino Posts: 618 Member
    Wow, everyone is saying how they played The Sims in 2000. I wasn't even born then! Lol.

I was in college by then...

:'(

lol

I'll be in college in less than 2 years :P
    Hello, good evening and welcome! My name is TheDinorhino but you can call me Dino for short. I love playing The Sims, especially designing and building within the game. Check out my YouTube channel if you want:https://youtube.com/channel/UCh16nY5NDnDUqzwTl0LC9Fg
    Origin ID: TheDinorhino
  • Ping YoPing Yo Posts: 1,263 Member
    I was bored, so my mom introduced the game to me, and my mom bought the game for me, I was too little to fully appreciate it, but now I love it to death!!
    ]
  • Vici0us_VirusVici0us_Virus Posts: 3,076 Member
    I played sim everything since maxis started simming... My favorite was Bustin-out for ps2, that got me hooked. I don realy "play to win" so to speak, oddly I play to fail horribly. In as many ways possible, lol it makes the grind more real. Anyone can max stats, mod, and try hard. For me it's about the struggle and watching my sims AI find its way out of yet another box. I enjoy walking away from a house fire, then hours later checking in to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 the outcome. My imagination keeps me hooked... ;)
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited December 2015
    My high school Civics teacher let us play SimCity 2000 in class and I loved it (awesome idea for a Civics class!). As I played, I started to wish that there was a game that focused just on the people, because as fun as city building was, I was more interested in what the individual lives of the citizens must be like. I used to imagine it all of the time when I saw them running around. :smile:

And, lo and behold, The Sims was announced and I couldn't wait to play. I got The Sims Deluxe and I couldn't put it down. Then I added Hot Date and absolutely loved the fun of being able to send sims Downtown. By that point the game became an official obsession. LOL! I still love creating community lots, and that's probably all a throwback to my early simming days. My parents realized how much I loved the game and they began buying me expansion packs as gifts for birthdays and xmas. Pretty soon I had the whole collection and I was a total Sims junkie. :grimace:
    Post edited by GabbyGirlJ on
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited December 2015
    I first played The Sims 1 at a friend's house back when I was just a kid. We spent all day making our sims miserable and killing them off. It was so much fun >:)
  • s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    When my sim mastered piano, I almost cried (in 2015. 2)
  • cherryboyJJcherryboyJJ Posts: 55 Member
    When I was a kid I had a friend who had the first Sims game and because my family didn't have a computer, I went over to her house to play the game. I didn't even like her that much I just wanted to play it lol...Then when I finally got a pc, the Sims 2 had already came out and I bought it for myself and spent so much time playing it! I skipped Sims 3 completely, I tried it but didn't like the look of it at all and just kept playing Sims 2.. That was until I saw how beautiful Sims 4 looked on youtube and I had to have it! Been playing it since the launch.
  • Sim loveSim love Posts: 517 Member
    YouTube videos
    Hypochondriac :p
  • ZombieMewZombieMew Posts: 523 Member
    I first heard about the series when my older brother, who was 12 at the time, was excited to rent Sims 1 for the Gamecube. We got it and watched him play whenever the game was on. The first day, it was played all day. The second day, it was only played for a short amount of time because the content the ESRB rating warned about started to creep out my bro: especially the very beginning of the story mode where your sim makes out with another in a hot tub. At least he got himself the black memory card.

Fast-forward to 2011 when I got my Facebook account. I used to play the games on them and Sims Social became my favorite. I liked the game until I got worried about having it post the events in it on my page, which could have been fine if I didn't live in a homophobic town. I got The Sims 3 that Christmas with a couple of expansion packs for the sole purpose of having privacy. Sims 3 became more preferable as time passed, even though I miss some of the furniture and items from Sims Social.

The game changed my life when I placed my Sims Social sim into the game after receiving more expansion packs for my birthday. That sim became one of my most cherished characters that game me a purpose to pursue life after graduating high school. He made it into other games that allow custom characters and now I am brainstorming my novel that stars him as the main character.
    Me-AaAaAa!

Wishlist and Top 5 list

Steam: MathewMii
    dA and Youtube: SillyEwe
  • KelebekKelebek Posts: 2,079 Member
    I started with the first....it was so easy to make your house 'hot' if you put too much lights...

What a long way we've come
  • The_PlumbotThe_Plumbot Posts: 34 Member
    I used to play TS2 on Xbox at my friend. It was really funny, and I teally enjoyed it. But then the friend didn't want to play Sims anymore. Luckily I found TS2 from small store nearby. It was probs around 2009 becouse I remember thinking that the game was 3, it was that awesome compared to the xbox version. I bought couple of EPs, but I was too late, TS2 era was over. But I was really hooked, bought TS3, all EPs, and TS4. I really can't see myself not playing The Sims in future.

I apologize for typos and/or bad English
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I started out watching my brother play Sims 1, and he would let me play sometimes.. I just started learning how to read, so I remember I was scared to play, because I was afraid I wouldn't understand the words in the pie menu. Haha :D I've been hooked ever since then. :)
  • PyrondonPyrondon Posts: 159 Member
    I don't remember how I heard of TS2, but once I played it I fell in love with it. I actually had it still when TS3 came out, I'm pretty sure I didn't start TS3 until 2011 or 2012. But I usually played families & made up stories for 'em in my head, and played them out. That's probably what got me hooked on it.
    Visionary. Radiant. Inspiring.
    I am none of these things.
  • KateTheLarkKateTheLark Posts: 55 Member
    Funnily enough, I got started several years ago when I got The Sims 2 for DS, the hotel one. I liked it, but my mom deemed it "inappropriate" because of what some guy said lol, so she got rid of it.
    It wasn't until several years later, when I was 16 I think, that I started reading more. It sounded cool, but not amazing so I didn't get it...until my sister got the Sims 3 for the PlayStation. As an very imaginative person, I loved being able to think of an idea and try and create it in my head. It didn't always work out, but still....
    Then I kept reading and learning and then got Sims 3 and a ton of the expansions for the computer. Finally, a few months ago I read all this rave reviews of Sims 2 so I got the UC. I fell in love with it even MORE: the way they acted, talked, moved, everything!!! The Sims is great for my crazy imagination. :)
  • Mafe5125Mafe5125 Posts: 294 Member
    I remember coming home from school on Valentine's day, bag full of candy in hand, and finding my dad playing TS2 on his computer. I remember which family he was playing with too! It was the Smith family from Strangetown. :-D I thought it looked so cool, although I wasn't quite sure what it was exactly. I thought he was watching a video at first since he left them to do their own thing for a little bit. I asked if I could play and he told me no. :-( not sure why, but I'm assuming it's because I wasn't "mature enough" to play. A few years pass and one summer's day, he finds me on this website called habbo.com. It may have reminded him of the Sims, as he told me that he "knew of a game that he just knew I would love", so he popped TS2 disc into the disc drive, began the installation, and afterwards I was HOOKED. I mean, I knew of TS2, but never bothered to play after my dad denied my request years before lol. This was in 2009. :-) I owe my love for the Sims to my dad! He found TS in goodwill, so I got the chance to play the base game for a little while. But then he sold my old mac computer with the first disc still in it so I was no longer able to play. Haha.
  • SimmaSimma Posts: 65 Member
    I found a Sims 1 game for my GameCube when I was 13. By that time, they were in the middle of The Sims 2 PC games so I had plenty of content to start my Sims career with ;)
  • badgerpointsbadgerpoints Posts: 15 New Member
    I was always interested in The Sims. Back during the days of The Sims 1 I got my first computer during the end years of that series. It was my first PC game. If I remember right I bought Unleashed first because I didn't understand the whole concept of expansions packs, so I had to go back to the store (after begging my mom for more money) to by the base game.
  • thereesespiecethereesespiece Posts: 614 Member
    My mom bought it for me because I wanted a Barbie Dreamhouse back in 2001. Her co-worker said that The Sims was a virtual dollhouse so my mom bought it for me. I still think of it as my virtual dollhouse lol
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    Advertisments on Zwinky.... I was like 7 or 8 :P
  • figmentzfigmentz Posts: 504 Member
    I was on Youtube, and this guy I was watching play some game also played the Sims 3. I was curious, so I clicked on it. It seemed so amazing to me, and I wanted to see more of it. I started watching other people on Youtube play it. I asked my mom to get it for me for my birthday. Been hooked ever since.
    simssignature_zpstlsaiz9k.jpg
  • Poetrygirl3Poetrygirl3 Posts: 64 Member
    my 1st contact with sims was on FB; the sims social. my daughter played on her PS for years & finally got me hooked as well. pixel barbie's is fun!!! ♥
  • IsadoraExplorerIsadoraExplorer Posts: 41 Member
    I saw a kid playing the sims 1 on a laptop at primary school back in 2000. I just remember that I wanted to play it very badly and begged my parents (they never got it for me, but my cousins did).

Ever since then I have been hooked onto the game series :D
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    My last year in High School 2009.

My best mate didn't like using ArchiCAD so she used TS2 to build her Graphics project. I was really curious so she lent me a copy to play with.

Been hooked since :blush:
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • napstablooknapstablook Posts: 10 New Member
    I was being an annoying little kid at my cousins' house, and to shut me up they handed me a gamecube controller and let me loose on Sims 1. I was mesmerized and although I spent most of the time trying to understand the controller, I really enjoyed the game. It was unlike anything I'd seen before -- and for my birthday, they gave me Simcity, then a few sims games for playstation and gameboy, and after that I was just hooked. It was all I would ever play. I'd play bustin' out or ts2 on playstation when I was at home, or pull out my gameboy when I was out and about and play that one sims 2 game where you were supposed to be in this reality show that no one else knew about.

I'm Autistic, and part of where I am on the spectrum means it's a little difficult for me to understand social things, but with sims -- they're weird, but they're a lot simpler. Sometimes it's easier to even think of actual human beings as having moodlets and mood bars, and relationship gauges, so it's easier to figure out how they might react. I started reading legacy challenges and watching youtube videos of people's sims stories -- those were more accessible, since people usually add subtitles to "translate" the simlish, so I could follow along with that easier.

The Sims has been a way for me to live out my dream life, but also to cope with struggles that came in my actual life, and to help me become more accepting of the diversity life has to offer.
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    I don't remember. I think my mom just randomly bought sims 2 for me one christmas
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif