Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Did You Get Hooked on The Sims?

sprootsproot Posts: 590 Member
edited December 2015 in Off Topic Chat
I'm just curious and wanted to know how all of you simmers got hooked on this game :)

I was too young to play the first and second games. But I first bought TS3 in maybe 2010? My friend had bought it first and at first I wasn't interested, but then I watched her play and thought it was so cool! Then I bought it and played for a little, but after a while I just left it alone.

The ACTUAL way I got hooked on The Sims games is when my wifi went out and I had absolutely nothing to do, and ever since then, I've been playing like crazy. x) And then when TS4 came out, my life was basically over as I would play 24/7 xD

What's your story?
IMG-6587.gif

Comments

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Good thread! :smiley:

I started playing the original game in 2000 and before that I played Sim City 3000.

I am from the age where if your kids didnt do their homework then they got sent to military school ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    edited December 2015
    Way back when.....

231151-sims3.jpg

...you could only pic heads and bodies to make your sim.

And you built a funky little house...

hqdefault.jpg

And then you set about having them live their lives.

And the voices of them too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnGY5Zb8V9s

I couldn't help but get hooked over the little virtual world.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2015
    I got hooked when I was born darling :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited December 2015
    I remember using body shop. I was amazed that I could make my own content and see it in game. I think that's when I was officially hooked on the sims series.
  • HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    I got hooked on Sims 3 early in 2014. It was different than anything I had ever played. I made my favorite character who is named Scottie, and to watch him come to life? Wow. Breathtaking. He cooked his meals, he daydreamed on his bed, he played guitar, and would go to the public pool. When the full moon was out, he became a werewolf. He was alive.

It was an ant farm for me. Watching him grow as a character. It's something else, I'm telling ya.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 712 Member
    I stayed the night at a cousin's house years ago. We played some construction games and then we started playing SimCity 3000. We played for hours and I got it installed in my computer weeks later. Then somehow I saw a The Sims promo thing online and told my older brother about it, he got it and I started playing for years.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Way back when.....

231151-sims3.jpg

...you could only pic heads and bodies to make your sim.

And you built a funky little house...

hqdefault.jpg

And then you set about having them live their lives.

And the voices of them too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnGY5Zb8V9s

I couldn't help but get hooked over the little virtual world.

The Sim in the first picture looks like Lara Croft, or so I though and I made a Crfot family. Still have them in TS3 today! :smiley:

As for the houses, just two floors remember but when I first played I didnt even know how to remove walls so I would just build an extension and add a door.

As for that party, I remember Drew Carey show up, I also had him at a party the same time as the mime once. I had some good parties back then!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I wasted away I don't know how much time building in the Sims 1. That's almost all I ever did in that game, lol. Anytime I played a Sim actually living, I had some CC espresso item that refilled every need bar with a drink so I could do whatever I wanted (which was mainly going to all my builds to let me Sim check them out, lol).

Never played Sims 2 or 3 for any number of factors. But recently I watched TheSimSupply build in Sims 4 and I was hooked instantly! It's probably what I'm going to spend most of my time in this game doing too, building. Love the custom roofs, the basements, the halfwalls, etc. Hours and hours of fun for me. :D There are other reasons I like this game, but that's the big one.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I got hooked because I played it :)
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • InvisibleaesInvisibleaes Posts: 1,526 Member
    I spent the night at the house of my best friend, when I got there she was playing the sims 2 and I was hooked! She had University with it and when I got my copy I was sad I wanted a bed from that pack lol I've played 2, 3, and know 4! So far my favorite overall is four. I like things from all of them but 4 gives me a great In between for sims 2 and sims 3. I'm still waiting on a few staples like weather and pets but in the meantime GT has really been drawing me in to long Simming sessions where in I lose track of time completely!
  • TheSikiSassTheSikiSass Posts: 273 Member
    My aunts had Sims 1, and I would go over to their house and play it. Usually just starting fires. But ever since then, I've loved the Sims games.
    gay is ok kids
  • nervousubjectnervousubject Posts: 1 New Member
    edited December 2015
    This might sound a bit morbid, but when my first sim died! I'd only had the game for a day and I was playing with the Pleasant family when the stove caught fire and Jeff died heroically, trying to save his wife. The kids were at school when it happened and I thought it was so sad, them coming home to find out their dad was dead. But at the same time it's also when I become a Sims fanatic and started saving up to buy all the expansion packs. Then eventually I got Sims 2 for Christmas the upgrade between the two practically blew my mind.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I, uh, stumbled across a copy of Sims 1 a couple days after it's release and I played it. I spent all day and well into most nights hooked on that game. After a week straight of nearly non-stop playing I went out and bought my own copy of it and have been hooked every since (and bought everything that they have ever put out with the exception of Sweet Treats. That's the only thing I ever didn't buy).
    p8L4V6v.png
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I started simming in 2001. My sister bought The Sims 1 with her first paycheck.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • meas212meas212 Posts: 14 New Member
    I started on the Sims 2. I remember playing The Goth family a lot.
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Sims 2 machinimas way back when. Sadly they were deleted from youtube.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • TheDinorhinoTheDinorhino Posts: 618 Member
    In 2010, my cousin showed The Sims 3 to me and I really liked it. I played it a bit until I purchased Sims 3 Pets for the Xbox in 2011 (such a cool game).
    Hello, good evening and welcome! My name is TheDinorhino but you can call me Dino for short. I love playing The Sims, especially designing and building within the game. Check out my YouTube channel if you want:https://youtube.com/channel/UCh16nY5NDnDUqzwTl0LC9Fg
    Origin ID: TheDinorhino
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2015
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I got hooked when I was born darling :p

But yeah, anyways, I started in TS2 era, a friend of mine had the first TS2 Deluxe it was around 2005 I think and I automatically found myself basically in love with the game. Though I got to see some people play TS1 a little, mostly Makin' Magic in my old school's library when I was in 5th grade or something but never really saw much of it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    I somehow stumbled across The Sims 1 at the very end of its life, but I played it anyway, and I loved it. In fact, my daughter watched me playing it for a few weeks I'd say, and one day while I was at work she called and asked me if she could play my game, and boy did she get hooked...3 months into it, sims 2 came out and I thought I had gone to heaven, I loved me some Sims 2. I bought every last ep that ever came out. And then came Sims3, neither myself or my daughter wanted to move on. How couldwe ever betray our beloved Sims 2, when it gave us so much to enjoy and to bond over. But alas, we jumped on the opened world bandwagon. It was good, very good actually, until it broke and no people sims would show up to comunity lots, END OF THAT. GAME OVER. PERIOD! (Oh the money I spent on that series) Long story short, here I am playing Sims 4 (so is my daughter), and it's getting surprisingly better. So here's hoping I can get many more years of enjoyment. Come on EA, you can do it...
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    In 2000 with The Sims. I had played Sim City on the "Super Nintendo" several years before that and all the Sim Cities following. In fact, most of the reason I've ever purchased a new computer including the first PC I ever purchased after moving out of my families house was to play a new "Sim" something. Yeah, $2300.00 in 1995 so I could play Sim City 2000. BUT, when The Sims originally came out I wasn't really interested based on the marketing I saw. To me, being gay, the last thing I wanted to do was fantasize all day about a husband and WIFE moving to the suburbs and settling down and playing house. Not too long after it launched however, I read an article that talked about how your sim could have a relationship with either sex and were essentially bi-sexual and I was hooked! I bought it immediately because, finally, here was a game that I could mold to fit my life. I bought the Sims Online in 2002 after that (uh, yeah, it wasn't that great-lol) and then 2 and 3 and 4 and NUMEROUS packs in between. I've had kids and pets and snow and hot dates and gone to University and Outer Space and underwater and... even had a wife from time to time (LOL). It's a game I consistently go to for entertainment and even if it has it's occasional lows it has FAR MORE highs and I don't see myself leaving the franchise anytime soon. After Get Together, I can't wait to see what they deliver next year (quick Christmas wish- PLEASE LET IT BE GOOD- lol).
  • CalicoJesterCalicoJester Posts: 93 Member
    In 2011?? I bought TS3 for about £2 in CeX after watching some youtubers play it and I've been playing ever since!
    xUjx1Ah.gif
  • KuroikazuchiKuroikazuchi Posts: 92 Member
    I bought a second-hand Gamecube (at the time they already didn't make gamecubes anymore) with some games included, and there was a Sims 1 game included, the "Bustin'out" version. I played that game a lot, but the first time I heard the creepy music that plays when you get robbed or fired, it traumatized me :p
    I finally made it to the top of the scientist career and moved into Landgraab's villa but my save got corrupted later >_< "
    Obviously when I bought TS3 around 2010, it was sooo much different than TS1...
  • rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,252 Member
    I got a second hand copy of the sims 2 last year. Liked it.
    Bought the sims 3 3 months later. Meh.
    Go back to sims 2 after six months. Better. Even did a 11 generation legacy.
    After two months I return to Bioware. Aah, Bioware. I missed you.
  • TheDinorhinoTheDinorhino Posts: 618 Member
    Wow, everyone is saying how they played The Sims in 2000. I wasn't even born then! Lol.
    Hello, good evening and welcome! My name is TheDinorhino but you can call me Dino for short. I love playing The Sims, especially designing and building within the game. Check out my YouTube channel if you want:https://youtube.com/channel/UCh16nY5NDnDUqzwTl0LC9Fg
    Origin ID: TheDinorhino
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Wow, everyone is saying how they played The Sims in 2000. I wasn't even born then! Lol.

I was in college by then...

:'(

lol
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.