Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 Ultimate Collection suddenly crashing?

Comments

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Also some CC can really mess things up. In addition to the cache files, you can also safely delete the NeighborhoodManager.package in your neighborhood folder, if you are still having issues after removing bad CC. Not the whole folder, just that one package, or you will loose everything, it is the last to be listed after the neighborhoods. Have been there and done that for sure. :D
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @hedgekat1

Thanks for all the info I have already got some from mod the sims but did download stuff from other places as well so I will be needing to determine which is what from where lol :)

@JULES1111

Thanks for those links I have spent some time today downloading and this time I will know exactly where the CC is from if there are any future problems. Do you have any idea who has the safest most modern clothes for male teens and children as this appears to be the most difficult to find (as usual-) and I did delete the neighborhoodmanager package (not the folder-)

I am going to try starting the game up again later adding the new CC and hope there are no crashes :)
  • hedgekat1hedgekat1 Posts: 169 Member
    @SPARKY1922 _ Did you ever get the CEP packages properly installed? I checked mine and found I had only installed the two for My Documents. So I installed the two for Program Files and started the game with no problems. After deleting the two cache files. I'm doing that every time I make any changes at all in the game now.
    edited December 2015
    @hedgekat1

No not yet. I followed the instructions on the following link for UC and when I tried to play the game it would not open.

I remember the error pop up saying files or similar had been changed so I tried to backtrack what I had done but that did not work and I had to fresh install a new clean folder which I don't want to have to do again yet as I am loving the family I am playing at the moment and don't want to lose them.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=92541

After playing for several hours today with no problems I am struggling with actual social play, I was not aware until today that other sims homes cannot be visited by my sim family?? does anyone know a way around that?

Also I have tried inviting a sim over via home phone but only one sim arrives, parties are okay but I don't want to have to keep throwing parties just to have guests?

I have noticed there is something called manage groups via the home phone and am assuming if a group is set up every time my sim or sim family goes out other sims then follow? knowing how badly the group system works with sims 3 I have decided not to try this yet-)

My teens want to make friends and have first kisses etc but even though I have added other families with teens to the neighborhood whenever they meet each other all they do is fight and appear to be throwing tantrums lol

This feels so hard lol
    Post edited by SPARKY1922 on
    @SPARKY1922 You are most welcome. Modern clothing? Hmmmm I am not sure exactly what you mean by that. Like fancy today's stuff, or just stuff that doesn't look like it was made 10 yrs ago? :D Teen males, or males in general are hard to find good stuff for.

Have you tried to install CEP through the auto install available? It is much easier! If you are worried about loosing your game, before making any changes you think could harm it, go to your neighborhood folder, and make a copy of the neighborhood you want to keep safe before installing anything, and keep it in a safe place outside the Sims 2 files. If anything goes wrong, you can delete your entire neighborhood folder, restart the game to make a new one, go back into the file and delete the new version of the neighborhood you are playing, and replace it with your copied neighborhood. Sims 2 is different as everything from builds and sims and saves are all located in that neighborhood folder.

Visiting other sims, it is possible with a mod. It is made by Chris Hatch, and is on a site we are not allowed to link too :D BUT I did happen to find a site I can link, that has the link for that mod. You will have to sign up for the site before you can see or download the mod though. I never used it myself, just know of it's existence.

http://www.thejessachannel.com/p/sims-2-mod-list.html?m=1

When inviting a sim by phone, do you choose invite sim, or invite household? Yes if you invite a sim to a group outing, all sims invited will show up on the lot of your choice. I think it may have to be a community lot, but I am not sure as it has been a while since I used that option. Most of the time my sim gets a call from other sims inviting them.

Lol ok I can say I never had the issue of my teen sims meeting other teens and only fight :D That is a new one on me. I usually wait for them to bring someone home, or send them out to a community lot to meet someone, then play phone tag until the relashonship is good enough to invite them, if it isn't already.
    @JULES1111

I managed to find some up to date male teen clothes and so far it seems to be okay in game.

Thanks for the info about the visiting mod I thinks that's something I will end up using because I am so used to being able to visit everyone's homes in sims 3.

When I use the phone on the wall to invite over from memory it just gives me an option to invite 1 sim not a family so am I missing something?...

Yeah I have no clue about my temper teens I first noticed like a fire cloud above their heads (that's the only way I can describe it-) followed by constant tantrum throwing and/or fighting. I am constantly amazed by all these things I have never seen before in any other series of the game. At the moment I am playing 2 more than 3 by a long way but the learning curve can feel really difficult. Its like when I discovered they could have mobile phones bought at a kiosk and I thought they would work the same way they did in 3 and I cannot tell you how much time i spent fiddling around and clicking them not realizing they were for use just outside the home lot lol

When I first downloaded Sims 2 I noticed that it installs with 2 folders one called Ultimate Collection and another called Sims 2 which is empty. I played for a little while to test the game and then decided I needed to try and find out about mods and CC and went about it as if I was playing Sims 3, IE use some sort of program that can check for corrupt, broken duplicate mods and CC and found out there was nothing out there except for the utility hack (wardrobe) which supposedly checks for mod irregularities, so I downloaded that first as an auto install and it would not recognize a file path so I searched online for a solution and this is where other players were experiencing the same problem stating the reason was because the disc version of sims 2 was had different file paths to the UC version.

I found this was true and I had to put the mod in the empty sims 2 folder for the utility hack to find/recognize the mod, then take the mod from that folder and place it in a downloads folder in UC, I found the clean installer for the Simpak files and think I had to install that the same way.

The reason I explain all this is because nothing I have tried to auto install worked, then I realized that if I wanted to use objects I would need the CEP and found the install instructions had been changed for the the UC version because it was not installing the same as discs that's when I followed the manual instructions and after that my game would not open at all so I had to do a clean install and this put me off trying again so next I decided I would try CC where I obviously got something wrong as my game started crashing, I removed that and my game ran great and now I have added CC back from the sites you sent me the links for and 1 other site for the teen stuff it all seems to be running okay again, but before I can download any houses with objects I know I need this CEP sorting.

I will try auto installing it and see what happens but if it does not work I am clueless how to add it manually again for it to work that's why I asked you just to see if you had any easier ideas about it...

Thanks for all your help and advice :)
  • NOVEMBER_11SARAHNOVEMBER_11SARAH Posts: 767 Member
    Have you download Uber-megahood? its heaps of fun it was the first thing I downloaded when I got UC, it lets you live in Strangetown but be able to visit someone in Pleasantview etc. pretty much like how TS4 is.
    New Zealand!!!
    I have dyslexia so my grammar sucks.
    Sim Story:
    https://smfblog11.wordpress.com/
    Simblr:
    http://thestrangenessofstrangetown.tumblr.com/
    @SPARKY1922 Glad you found some things that you liked. There are so many different sites it's silly! :D

That's cool you are gonna try out the mod, it was made by Chris Hatch, and he is one of the most recognizable creators for Sims 2. He has great mods, so I wouldn't worry much about trying it. If you don't already have it, while you are there, you should pick up his baby clothing mod as well. It is so cute to see babies in little clothes! :p

Ya it does have a learning curve for sure! Once you get used to it though, it will come easier. I guess you made your teens total opposites. :D I don't think I ever really saw my teens fight :D That must be amusing to watch though!

The CEP auto install should work just fine, if you changed the path where the game was downloaded to, you will have to change it for this also. If you just installed it regular, it shouldn't give you any problems at all. I auto downloaded it to UC, had no problems with it. Just a bunch of hitting next and ok's. It did all the work. Just don't be like me and forget to check off some of the boxes for what it will allow, download CC, then sit there and wonder why it isn't showing up. :D Just click them all, it will be easier for the future!

May I also suggest Scriptorium if you are planning to download, stairs, lights, fireplaces. Things that need special coding. That is also easy to install and use. Made by Numenor, same person who made CEP.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=192613

You are most welcome. I hope some of this has been useful for you! :)

Have you download Uber-megahood? its heaps of fun it was the first thing I downloaded when I got UC, it lets you live in Strangetown but be able to visit someone in Pleasantview etc. pretty much like how TS4 is.

I am embarrassed to say I have never heard of or even know what Uber-megahood is lol let me know how to download i and I will give it a try-) Is it something that comes with UC or an external download..

@JULES1111

I was so tired yesterday I went to bed without trying to auto install CEP as I decided I needed a clear head in case anything went wrong so I will try it today and report back, also thanks for the heads up regards Scriptorium but just to be clear how many mods/programs do I actually need before I can download lots/houses etc as I have avoided doing so until now in case I did not have the proper mods/programs and recolors or CC did not show up in game?

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    @SPARKY1922

The only thing I would advise downloading before installing lots/house is the Sims2Pack Clean Installer by Mootilda on Mod the Sims. Set that as the default program to open up .sims2pack files (which are the files that Sims and Lots/Houses are downloaded as.

Unlike Sims 3, hacks will piggyback with lots and houses, even if they aren't bad. And you'll have people claim their stuff is CC free, when it isn't.

Or you'll just want the Sim and not all of the ugly CC the creator put on it.

Sims2Pack Clean Installer will let you keep things out of your game that you do not want. From unwanted hacks that piggybacked, to random CC that attached to a Sim.

If you download a house from a good source, they should let you know if you need to go shopping for CC at other places to have the house show up as illustrated. And they will link to the sources, directly if possible, or give directions if not possible (which may be out of date depending on how the site is set up).
    @Seera1024

Thank you again as you have made it easy to understand what to look for, do you have any lot builders that are considered good sources I can start with?
  • s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    HI! I want to play ts2 but where can I d/l it?
    @SPARKY1922 You will only need the Scriptorium if any lots you download contain CC stairs, lights ect. If it is all Maxis stuff used, you wont need it. There are a lot of custom pieces you can use to build, most of them need Scriptorium. It should say if it is required or not.

Seera1024 is right, the sims2pack clean installer will be very important if you plan to download lots, even some objects need it, though very few. The good creators list everything, though I don't have any recommendations for you, I never downloaded lots, always preferred to build my own.

Though I did download the Carnival, but really I just used all the pieces to make my own one of those too. :D If you are interested it is here:

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=213108

It is a lot of fun. :)
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,585 Member
    I don't use the Scriptorum- not because it's bad, it's great- it's that I don't use Custom Stairs and etc. I can also use custom windows and some doors. I just haven't found anything that I want that needs it.

I like the baby clothes mods, it's cute.

Mostly, for socializing, I have parties or Groups at my Sims house or a Community lot.
    Poker parties, Pizza Parties, Pool Parties... at my Sims house. I guess I'm used to it. I didn't really like going to other Sim houses because then I had to update their house for parties or Group activities.

If you want to control Sims on your lot to make it more fun- there is the Visitor Controller from SimBology

I will suggest the Collegeclock from MATY or College Adjuster from SimBology - http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=no21pllqoaii78mjasgou7gk27&board=7.0

I have a lot of mods to fix what I feel are annoying things. :lol:

Hi @JULES1111

I am literally copying and pasting all this information which I am going to use as I decide to learn or do something new to my game.

I wish I could build but honestly I am crap at it always was but am constantly amazed by other simmers creations. In sims 3 each world of mine is organized by other simmers lots to suit that particular world/style and I am forever grateful for that as it enhances game play.

For sims 2 at the moment I just desire a modern looking house with lots of space, many bedrooms and an outdoor pool and if you have built something like that already would you be willing to share it?

OMG that carnival is fantastic and dodge cars as well, if I download this lot do I just install it in game as if I am choosing a lot from the bin? and is the carnival functional as sims can ride on the various rides?

one day I hope to look back on these early days of sims 2 and be able to proudly state I took the time to learn everything I could about this superb series :)

@Rflong7

I notice I can throw parties at my sims home but I wanted to be able to invite another sim family over without it being a party invite but cannot seem to find the way how to do it? When I use the wall phone to invite over I don't get the option of inviting a household just one sim so I think I must be doing something wrong..

I certainly don't know how to organize a poker, pizza or pool party etc? is that also done by phone as i don't seem to get those options?

I will also take a look at the mods you suggest because as soon as I get more of a hang of this they will be added ASAP-) :)
    Sure- if they're a household (All living in the same house) and you know a few then the option to invite the Household should come up on the phone. They don't all have to be friends or all know, I believe.

By phone - there is an option Groups -> Manage Groups. That's where you name the group and put the Sims you want in that group. When you want them to be together~ outing - then you use the Group Option and invite them over. They'll all come over...

You can have the poker tables set up or the pool party set up... and then influence some and do whatever you want.
    @Rflong7

I am going back into game right now to try and check this as its what I want to be able to play right now and will report back again after some further checking :)
    Yes others can build wonderful things *looks at Rflong* unfortunatly I am not usually one of them. :D I have made some things I loved, but most of the time I find faults with everything, I just like building. :D I made a modern home once, but didn't care for the style for my gameplay. My houses are usually very cozy and homey. Something you would buy to raise 10 kids in. (I have a mod for that)

For the carnival you will need the Sims2pack clean installer if you want to use the finished lot Echo made, and not build your own. After it is installed it will be in your lot bin to put down where you want just like any other lot. Yes the rides are all usable, and even reuse animations from the game to make it look more real, and the clowns are able to be interacted with. It really is a awesome thing. :)

@Rflong7

I just went into game to check I was correctly detailing what happens

when I click on the wall phone there are several interactions it states call a sim, invite the headmaster and a few other options not related to what I want to accomplish.

I went into manage groups and made a group called home invites, then I tried to call that group to arrange a home visit from the group but there was no interaction for this so I am at a loss to know what to do next? pool or poker parties are not mentioned at all only throw a party?

any ideas on how to be able to invite other sims to my house without throwing a party would be welcomed?
    edited December 2015
    Ah, I see- I mislead you without meaning to. It was to have a party but not an option to have a party. It would be a Group Outing- I give each group a type such as my Poker players. So, while I consider them a Pool Party, the game makes them Group Outings. :(

I'm sorry to mislead you. :(

*After setting up Groups with the house phone or if they have the cell phone-

fdagfahgfs_zpsbpwmwbkd.jpg

Sims2EP9%202015-12-29%2017-01-12-91_zps3dcmywja.png

Then the Option on Groups is to meet at a Community lot or at their Home-
    fdagfahgfs_zpsbpwmwbkd.jpg

Post edited by Rflong7 on
  • NOVEMBER_11SARAHNOVEMBER_11SARAH Posts: 767 Member
    @SPARKY1922

This is a link to Uber-Mega-hood
    It explains it a lot better on the link then I can, but its heaps of fun.

http://modthesims.info/d/301194
    New Zealand!!!
    I have dyslexia so my grammar sucks.
    Sim Story:
    https://smfblog11.wordpress.com/
    Simblr:
    http://thestrangenessofstrangetown.tumblr.com/
    edited December 2015
    @JULES1111 thanks for the extra info on the carnival I will defo be trying that out as a standalone lot. More than 10 kids lol I can handle that in Sims 3 but not quite yet in 2, I have 2 of the same age group and sit back and watch how they all interact with each other because watching them is so much fun :)

I downloaded all 17 files for the carnival then I extracted the package files and put them in my downloads folder when it came to the lot itself It came up with clean installer but when I clicked install it came up with install in teleport folder? As I have not downloaded and added any lots to my game to date I am not sure that is the correct folder it should be installed in?

@Rflong7 thanks for the visual instructions I shall try that later today when I go back in game I thought I tried to do something similar yesterday but it did not work so I will try again lol

@NOVEMBER_11SARAH thanks for the link there is a lot to read and digest but its great to learn about these things to have further options when I feel a little more confident about everything.
    Post edited by SPARKY1922 on
    edited December 2015
    @SPARKY1922 yes sorry, I should have mentioned that all lots and sims are put in the teleport file. You don't need to change anything.

Yes I love me some big families :D They all stay at home too, I never move them out. I like a challenge!

I do hope you enjoy the lot, I know my sims do. :)
    @JULES1111

Thanks for confirming that I can go ahead now-)