Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 Ultimate Collection suddenly crashing?

SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and if so how to fix it as its driving me nuts.

I downloaded UC on a windows 7 OP 64 bit a couple of weeks ago and have just started experiencing crash problems approximately half an hour into game and cannot figure out why.

Every time the caption reads The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden stuff, then underneath

The application has crashed
The application will now terminate

I have noticed when the game is loading the last expansion mentioned is pets, but whenever I get messages in game its often to do with mansion and gardens.

I have reinstalled and repaired but it makes no difference

Here is hoping someone knows how to fix this...

Comments

• hedgekat1hedgekat1 Posts: 169 Member
    I just recently downloaded TS2UC and was able to play only a couple of hours on 2 consecutive day. Third day it refused to load at all. I watched it on Task Manager and it would begin to load and then the process would disappear. I contacted EA Help and after talking with a number of different techs I found a fix on the Headquarters Help site which required using regedit. That fixed it temporarily but a couple of days later it again refused to load. This time I deleted the 2 cache files. It loaded. Has happened a couple more times. Usually after I have added something to the User files like new Downloads or lots. Don't know if deleting the cache files would help in your case or not. I haven't had a crash after actually getting into the game.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Mansions and Gardens is part of the Fun with Pets Combo so it will show Fun with Pets and yet load M&G. :)

I would delete the .cache files in the Doc folder. If you've added any CC it might be it. I had accidentally added TS3 CC once and it messed up my STartup. XD
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Rflong7

I have learned to delete the cache files but I did add a little CC so I will remove it and try again, bummer as my sims look awesome-)

@hedgekat1

when you say Usually after you added something to the user files like new downloads or lots, what do you mean by new downloads CC? and I added 1 residential lot from the bin only and redecorated it for my sim family (which I thought would be safe) I have not downloaded any other player made lots but did add a few new CC hair and clothes which I will remove to see if it makes any difference.

I hope you managed to be successful of ridding yourself of your own problem. :)
  • Feedinghissheep3Feedinghissheep3 Posts: 92 Member
    same here! can't get past loading screen after choosing family to play. have to ctrl alt del to get out. deleted cache files and restarted computer....nothing! ughhh i love sims 2 and i played it two weeks ago. i play sims 2 for a week, then sims 3, and then sims 4! i repaired the game after an uninstall but i still get stuck at that step before actually playing. i can see my people waving at me but alas i cannot get to them!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!
    @Feedinghissheep3

My problem is it crashing and terminating after half an hour game play so I am going to remove the little CC I have added and see if the problem goes away if not I just came across a quite in depth article on many of the challenges players of UC appear to be experiencing and I am posting the link in the hope it can be of some help to you too.

http://raptr.com/captpatrick01/news/53e03cd6a1d318386c/for-those-having-problems-with-eas-catastrophically-botched-packaging-of-the-sims-2-ultimate-collection-on-origin-

I also went onto EA chat with this and the only other advice from them was to change the comparability however for me that did not work but I can post their instructions if you feel it may help you with your problem to give it a try just let me know.

I had around 2 weeks before I started experiencing problems and I have loved every minute of it as the whole series is new to me and quite challenging as I keep trying to play as if its sims 3 :)
    hedgekat1 wrote: »
    I just recently downloaded TS2UC and was able to play only a couple of hours on 2 consecutive day. Third day it refused to load at all. I watched it on Task Manager and it would begin to load and then the process would disappear. I contacted EA Help and after talking with a number of different techs I found a fix on the Headquarters Help site which required using regedit. That fixed it temporarily but a couple of days later it again refused to load. This time I deleted the 2 cache files. It loaded. Has happened a couple more times. Usually after I have added something to the User files like new Downloads or lots. Don't know if deleting the cache files would help in your case or not. I haven't had a crash after actually getting into the game.

Do you think using discs would be a better option than UC as I am considering buying a set of secondhand discs and working my way through known issues to play on windows 7?
    edited December 2015
    I haven't been having any crashing issues with TS2 UC. Only time was with the bad CC and sometimes cleaning the cache when it won't start.

I play on an laptop which came with Win7 (wanted to make sure it would run TS2 in case Win10 didn't) but when reports of Win 10 playing TS2 I updated my laptop. Still no problems.
    It's been set up to start with the 'Run as administrator' -Plus, I had it set in DEP when it was Win7, like I did for TS3.

*I was thinking- maybe instead of always deleting my cache, I'm trying to make them read only (I have 2g of CC).
    http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸/mybb/showthread.php?tid=3821&pid=14736

@Rflong7

I thought the cache files that need deleting in 2 is accessory cache and groups cache I think which is only 2 to delete every time game play is finished? or is there more?

I have kept the link you provided and at some point I may add it when I start thinking about adding some mods but I cant tell you the hoops I went through last time prior to this last clean sims 2 folder I had to go through getting the utility hack to recognize the file path to the downloads folder where the mods went.

I found out after reading loads of on line forums that I was trying to apply knowledge related to the disc version to UC which I had no idea had file path changes so it became pretty confusing fast lol

because you mentioned that you had some problems with CC causing problems before ie adding sims 3 files to 2 I am going to delete the little CC i have added and see if that works and if the problem persists it is something else.

The link I provided above ( and now below ) outlines the exact message and problem I am currently getting when my game is crashing and states it may be memory related even if the user has enough memory which I do. the advice is to download a third party software program to fix it but I am a little dubious as I don't want to make things worse.

http://raptr.com/captpatrick01/news/53e03cd6a1d318386c/for-those-having-problems-with-eas-catastrophically-botched-packaging-of-the-sims-2-ultimate-collection-on-origin-

I will keep trying as I love the game but honestly the clothes/hair are so dated it does need CC for sims to look okay.. :)
    edited December 2015
    @SPARKY1922 There's another Cache for Bodyshop... I think, if you haven't opened Body Shop yet. :)

I know CFF and had used it for CAW and TS3 so it isn't unfamiliar to me. I haven't used it for TS2 UC.

I agree about the Clothes- they were dated when they made them. I never knew many people (guys) who wore sandals and the game makes so many outfits with flip flops and sandals for both- way too many. :sigh:

I've been thinking about making some of my own for default clothes. Then I wouldn't need so many other CC.

*and you have used the Graphic Rules Maker?
    http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with

**The link I shared has an empty Acessories files which once place can be made read only. That way we don't have to delete them. :)

*And No, I don't think disks are better. You'll have to get the combined editions; Double Deluxe, Fun with Pets, Best of Business, University Life... and whichever others. There are a few stuffs not put in the packs such as the Holiday Pack.
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
    @Rflong7

I have not even tried bodyshop yet-) but if and when I do I will try remember to delete that cache file as I go.

If you have used CFF before in your experience would it resolve a crashing issue due to sims 2 not being able to access enough memory?

I did read about the graphic rule maker but I assumed that was for some sort of graphics problem which I don't think I have so I never bothered with it.

I am currently playing sims 2 without CC to see if my crash/terminate problems come back but if not it will be CC related and I will have to start all over again lol
    edited December 2015
    I don't know. It did help with TS3 a little, it might with TS2. I don't have it set though.

I have about 2gigs of CC on my laptop and left the game on for over 6 hours yesterday- My Apocalypse had Quads because I forgot to remove the mod :sigh: and I could only play it for a few minutes before needing a break from them. :lol:

None of the newer graphics cards are recognized by The Sims 2 game. The game will automatically assume your computer isn't up to the highest settings- that's why it's great to use. It's easy, too. :)

*Oh, and I also put EA's CC (the Exchange downloads and Store stuff) in my Computer files so the game treats them as Regular Game stuff (not CC hair but objects). :)
    Do you use any mods- like notowniereg and nocorruptdeath from MATY?
    @Rflong7

I have no mods installed at the moment. I did have the blender and the utility mod until I had to fresh install a new folder and then I decided to add a little CC to try and as I have been playing for a couple of hours now after removing the downloads folder/CC and it has not crashed yet (fingers crossed) I think you may have been right about it being CC causing me a problem which leaves me the headache of going through every single file before trying again :#

I have heard of nocorruptdeath before but am not sure what notowniereg is, perhaps if you could tell me what are considered essentials I will try these before trying CC again.

It keeps the game from making new Townies as they either die or or married into a family (No Townie Regeneration). That way we don't get a bloated neighborhood file.

This has some.
    http://modthesims.info/t/469211

Check out the Armory at MATY- I don't think I can link to the site. It has many (doorbell-quieter is one I really like but not necessary). :)
    @Rflong7

Thanks for that info I will look into it all, my game appears to be running smoothly again but my Sims are ugly and badly dressed lol........................................
    edited December 2015
    Yeah- add those default skins and eyes and cC hair- making sure none of it is for TS3. I've used default skins since they first came out. :mrgreen:

*When looking for problem CC, I like to go by 1/2s. Remove half of the CC and if it runs well, switch to the other half and see how that goes. And halves from there.

Good Luck! :)
    @Rflong7

Thanks for all your help with Sims 2 over the many questions and new threads I have started to ask different questions as a newbie to the series, I never thought I would say this but its easier to add CC to sims 3 at least it can be checked with delphy's package file checker which shows if the wrong game series package files have been added plus any duplicates or corruptions etc. I wish there was something like that for sims 2 CC....
    edited December 2015
    There is a Hack Conflict Checker but the Sims 2 new folder name has to be changed in Documents because the program was made before TS2 UC.

There are several things to check CC but I don't know if they work with the newer file name... Delphy made one for TS2, which came first. :)
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=227925

There was no TS3 package files to worry about back then. :)

*And it's no problem. I've been messing with the CC since TS1 so I get used to it (plus every time I clean out my CC I loose something XD )
    @Rflong7

I am aware that the utility hacker ( I think it is referred to as the wardrobe) is for checking mods only (I think) and managed to find a way the first time I loaded up sims 2 to get it to work with UC when I was using the blender mod to try it out.

But when things went wrong I removed the mod and moved onto to trying some CC which caused my current problem you helped me with.

I have seen Delphy's Download Organizer before but when I saw in the notes " open the SimPE" I did not look any further into it because I really don't understand how SimPE works yet and I don't want to try using any program that may require it for fear of making mistakes.

If I don't need to use SimPE with the organizer I would try it?

TS1 I was chatting with a sims player last week where they were trying to explain to me how hard sims 1 was just trying to keep sims alive and the 2&3 series was pleasant by comparison lol I might have to find some you tube videos just to take a look at what 1 was like to play back in the day-)
    edited December 2015
    Oh, good- you know about them because while I do know about them, I never used them so I can't help in that department. Which I probably should have learned.

I have SimPE because I liked extracting Sims (Don, Bella, some NPCs) to add to other neighborhoods or when I forget to make Sim in Body Shop and they turned out to be my new favorite Sim. :D

Lol~ yes, it was harder for me, too. XD
    I keep trying to play The Sims again because I never finished the game. :)
    @Rflong7

LOL no worries I read a lot of programs that worked with the disc version now appear not to be working very well with UC anyway so its a case of working through it slowly and thoroughly but first things first get rid of ugly sim hair and clothes.. :)
    edited December 2015
    I've played TS2 since 2004. I have over 2000 files of skin, hair and eyes from all over the web. I have over 900Mb of clothes. Lots of my CC I've gotten from MTS2. Of course lots of what I have you might feel was very outdated. My sims currently live in the late 1950s and pretty much dress appropriately. If I can keep the game going they will eventually make it to this century. However if you tell me what kind of stuff you are looking for I might be able to direct you to sites, though lots of the places where I've downloaded things may have closed. Around the Sims had a lot of good stuff for TS2 http://sims2.aroundthesims3.com/ and my favorite for clothes was All About Style. http://www.all-about-style.com/index.html

My game seems to be working okay now. I had a 4 year old savegame that I wanted to play with, plus all my old downloads. Had to delete the cache files several times in the process of moving all those folders from my old game to the new one. One of the EA neighborhoods has disappeared from the game menu and I've had some weird things happen in the game a couple of times. The first time I was actually able to play after getting the downloads installed, I played two different houses. After saving the second one I quit the game for bed without returning to the neighborhood first. Next day when I entered the game that lot was missing. Reinstalled the neighborhood, played the same two houses, went on to a third, and about half way through a day I realized all their family trees were missing. This neighborhood is on the sixth gen of a legacy. I checked a few other families, including the ones I had just played. All were missing their family trees. Reinstalled the neighborhood again. Have played two days with no further strangeness and keeping my fingers crossed.

About TS1, I saw that post you mentioned too and couldn't understand what she/he found so difficult about it. Well, they did have very short lives and I don't remember any more what ways there were to extend them but I found the most annoying feature was that the kids never grew up. In that game if kids failed school they were sent off to military school. So when my kids got to be old enough that they should be teens I sent them off to military school and when enough time has passed for them to graduate I remade them as adults and brought them back. Somebody finally made a mod whereby they could change to teens but about then TS2 came out and I never looked back. Have missed all the different themed neighborhoods I built though.
    Post edited by hedgekat1 on
    Hi @hedgekat1

wow what a lot of CC and a 4 year save game to play that's awesome in sims games lol

I am just in the process of adding back a little CC at a time as something started to crash my game after I added it and I need to know what it is so I can remove it and get back to being able to keep some of the CC I already love on my Sims.

I have to confess I love modern and I had got the whole family looking good before the crashing started to happen.
    There is so much to learn about Sims 2 that I have not experienced before and of course I keep trying to apply Sims 3 rules as that's the game I am used to-)

To be honest I have found modern CC which did surprise me as I thought most Sims 2 sites would have been shut down by now but that's not the case as some creators are still making things which is great.
    If you know of any modern sims 2 sites that would be considered really safe for downloading that would help because obviously despite my efforts trying to download up to date CC I have already made mistakes as its crashing my game, whats important to me is default skin all ages, hair, make up, jewelry and clothes more than anything so that my sims don't look quite so dated. I was also told not to download anything prior to 2010 as it would be too old so a lot of what I have downloaded has been 2012 upwards.

Oh I also tried to add CEP I think it is for the objects but despite following directions very carefully for the UC version my game would not even open after that and I had to clean install a new folder. I realize a lot of things that work with the CD version of the game does not seem to work with UC so its a bit of a challenge trying to work out what and how to do something.

I will be persevering though as I adore the interactions between the sims themselves and find it so appealing.

As far as Sims 1 was concerned I think the person who was chatting to me was trying to outline that if I thought learning all things sims 2 was difficult she thought I would find sims 1 even harder but obviously as I have not played Sims 1 I would not have a clue about that. I like the idea of military school but cannot fathom that teens did not grow up and had to be remade that sounds really strange. :)

I don't think I have anything in my downloads folder that is NEWER than 2010. I haven't been in all the houses yet but so far all my sims have the right hairs and clothing and their furniture is not flashing blue. I did add CEP to my folder, the same way that I had it before. But now that I think about it I'm not sure I have all the parts in. And I haven't checked in the catalog to see if it's working. I think ModTheSims is the best and safest place to get CC. I have never had a problem with anything from there. You are probably familiar with their TS3 downloads but if not here's the link. http://modthesims.info/
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Hi! You don't have to worry so much if things were made before 2010, a lot of these still work fine.

For skins I love Lilith's. There are some CC and some that are default replacements. http://lilith-sims.tumblr.com/ You will have to search a bit, as it is a tumblr.

Hair I love coolsims http://www.coolsims.net/

Make up Bruno on MTS has a large selection, and most are wonderfully done. http://modthesims.info/browse.php?f=378&page=1&u=11431&showType=1&showAll=1&gs=0

Clothing http://www.lianasims2.net/index.php has some nice things, it really just depends what your style is, hard to recommended such things. Jewelry is tough, as a lot of the meshes used in the past are no longer available for the best stuff :/

If you were interested in default face replacements I recommended these http://www.digitalperversion.net/gardenofshadows/?topic=1942.0 Very subtle differences in them, but they get rid of the ugly ones maxis made :D

Eyes I love these http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=323879 they also have a smaller selection just to use as default replacements http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=341521

Hope you find something you like. Happy Simming! :)