Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ashes to Ashes: A Legacy [Temporary Hiatus 4/4]

Comments

• CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Thanks for sharing all your thoughts @AudreyFld ! :heart:

@Simslover163 I'm glad you're such a Charlie fan! And thanks for the tip about linking images! :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    You changed your avatar....I'm nervous!
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    Oh dear, I agree with AudreyFld about the new avatar. Mari needs to give Zayne a bit of advice before it is too late. I'm always sad when the time comes for a sim to leave us.
    edited April 2017
    @AudreyFld @suzanna13 Yeah, I mean, it's no secret she's getting very very old (she is 90 right now)... I won't give details on when it'll actually be, but the time to write a certain chapter that I have been dreading for literally months is dangerously close... :/ So a change in avatar felt appropriate. :bawling:

I don't know much of what the next four gens will hold (since Gen 10 doesn't really count :joy:), but I am almost 100% certain that Mari will always be my favorite Rosebrook. This one is going to kill me. :bawling:
    snvAF3B.png
  • OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    @CitizenErased14 she will join the flock of others before her and most importantly her one true love.
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    OJenn wrote: »
    @CitizenErased14 she will join the flock of others before her and most importantly her one true love.

So true. She was definitely one of the broken Rosebrooks that finally found true love and peace. Maybe she can help Zayne. I don't know. She will be missed. I still miss Jonas.
    I never meant it to be, but somehow this actually tops Charlie and Ben's wedding (by just a little) as the longest chapter in this legacy to date. Haha enjoy!

Interlude: Do It for You
    m1RXGTl.png
    snvAF3B.png
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    I bet in the chapter right after this one, Mari croaks. :/
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    rednenemon wrote: »

I only awesome because it's probably true. :'(
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    rednenemon wrote: »

I hope not. That would be something else for Zayne to beat himself up about. I guess I like happy endings. I would like Mari to know that her words helped Zayne to move on.

That was a very emotional chapter. :'( I guess I wasn't expecting Zayne to yell at his (frail) great grandmother. I forgot about that awful temper.
  • chocischocis Posts: 186 Member
    Few things I have to say before getting to the serious stuff:
    1. I don't get that entrance door. Seriously, it's a little creepy that you can see inside the apartment from the hallway. I wonder how many neighbours saw HoZay getting it on...
    2. Yay, a chapter full of Mari and Zayne together <3 Sprinkled with Joyce. My favourite heirs being 100% themselves.

Now. Mari said everything I wished someone would say to Zayne. Oh please, mighty wirier, let the "when" be sooner. Zayne, if you can hear me, I'm in your corner. There's no shame in seeing a therapist. Or doing something else that helps you. You can do it! Listen to your Grandma and Aunt. They're like really smart and experienced. ***
    Also, so many emotions in this chapter. I can sympathize with Zayne's anger at having an intervention. Grrrgh, those are scary. And irritating. Especially when so very needed and true. I love it how much Joce and Mari care about him and I know they were sincere. It's amazing that Mari uses her temper for wise purposes. And awkward Joce was hilarious while being heart-breaking.
    edited April 2017
    @rednenemon @InfraGreen Well, it's definitely coming soon... But like @suzanna13 said, hopefully her words will help Zayne, and hopefully she will be around to see that!

@suzanna13 Yeah, he got really mad and kind of lost it (and Mari did too... but I think that's understandable. She sees SO MUCH of herself in him). He loves his Ur-Oma very much though. And here is a picture to make you feel better :tongue:

It's an outtake from the chapter -- I was testing out different social animations to see what would work, and I had to take a pic of that because it's so cute -- like he said something very sweet to his great-granny and she was all touched. :heart: Too bad the real convo didn't quite go that way...

0djJcCD.png?2
    snvAF3B.png
  • WitcHazardWitcHazard Posts: 1,209 Member
    Just wondering if Zayne gets with someone else and had a child but his last night with Hope results in a pregnancy and they both have daughters who's the heir? I can see the drama now hehe >:)
    Haha @WitcHazard you might be more evil than me! :lol: I guess it would be whichever is born first! But hopefully that situation will never arise and we won't have to find out... :tongue:

@chocis Thanks for sharing these thoughts! I also find the door so strange :joy: Unfortunately you can't change the apartment doors! I'm sure the neighbors across the hall must have gotten a nice show every now and then when the lovebirds didn't make it to the bedroom :lol:

Glad you enjoyed all the emotion in this one. I think you summed it up so well -- Zayne was so angry and annoyed by the whole thing. Mari lost her temper, but with good reasons behind it. And Joce was kind of the awkward third-wheel in a room with TWO hot-heads! :joy: Hopefully Zayne will take Mari's words to heart and use them to move forward.
    snvAF3B.png
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    @CitizenErased14 Is it weird that I just realised now that the heirs are going Male then Female etc. ?
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    @CitizenErased14 Is it weird that I just realised now that the heirs are going Male then Female etc. ?

I think I only caught that around generation four, when thinking "but why not Luc as the heir? Just curious."

(This was when he was a teen and hard to dislike :tongue:)

outrun / blog / tunglr
    Haha yeah @Bugsie2016 and @InfraGreen , this legacy uses a "Strict Equality" succession law, so the gender of the heirs will flip-flop each generation :) Meaning that (this isn't a spoiler because now you know it's a rule LOL) Zayne will eventually have a daughter who will be our Gen 6 heiress. The Zayne-as-heir thing was a unique situation, but for the most part, I'm sticking to the "firstborn child who is the opposite gender of their parent (the previous heir) is heir" rule :)
    snvAF3B.png
    I think what was tripping me up was Alex and Jade having all girls and Mari having twin boys (and why wait seventeen years for an heir? Though heiress Clara is the AU we deserve :p). After a while with Joce and Luc the cogs started turning in my head.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • haswhhaswh Posts: 2,863 Member
    Okay, so I just finished reading Gen 3 and oh my goodness what a wonderful generation! :) Just love this story so much! Can't wait to get started on Gen 4! I really hope I don't catch up as I love to read all at once ;) but I know it's inevitable. Love your style of writing @CitizenErased14! <3
    haswh wrote: »
    Okay, so I just finished reading Gen 3 and oh my goodness what a wonderful generation! :) Just love this story so much! Can't wait to get started on Gen 4! I really hope I don't catch up as I love to read all at once ;) but I know it's inevitable. Love your style of writing @CitizenErased14! <3

Oh thank you so much @haswh ! I'm so happy you're reading and enjoying! :blush: Gen 4 is quite the wild ride... Brace yourself! :tongue: I really appreciate you taking the time to check out my story and share your thoughts. Thanks you again :heart:
    snvAF3B.png
  • SassieSassie Posts: 293 Member
    edited April 2017
    peatock wrote: »
    i figured i'd pop over here to lurk instead of always chattering in the writer's lounge about this, haha. :blush: don't mind me! i'll just be keeping my eye on this and (hopefully) catching up someday.
    I also jumped in when the legacy was already well underway (however that was one or two generations ago I think). Luckily the next chapter buttons make binge-reading easier. :) Still it took me a couple of days though (everyday life interfering ;)).

And now after a week without internet I have my own catching up to do in this thead (with @pammiechick 's Day and Night the most commented ones in my bookmarks :# )

/edit: caught up. The breakup is sad and painfull, but the both of them were going nowhere in their relationship. It is choosing between two evils. Saying goodbeye was a bittersweet closure, but I'mn ot hoping for an accident though (not with Zayne's circumstances, I have the feeling it would be too soon). Seeing Zayne feeling so down is :'(, also for the help from his Tante and Ur-Oma. Let's (err) hope that this will nudge him in the right direction. But it will be a long and difficult journey at this point.
    Post edited by Sassie on
    Currently playing the Abbott household (4th generation now: Theo).
    Thanks @Sassie ! Definitely a lot of emotions right now... things went downhill to quick :( I think you're right that this will be a long and difficult journey, but also a necessary one... and hopefully Zayne is up for the challenge... :/
    snvAF3B.png
    Hello all :) Today we'll see how Zayne felt about that talk with his Ur-Oma.

5.54: Weak
    9FmAcBz.jpg
    snvAF3B.png
  • chocischocis Posts: 186 Member
    For anyone who isn't up to date and somehow doesn't know Batman's story it is a

Oh, I forgot to mention- last night I was rewatching Batman Begins. I always cry when Bruce's parents are being killed, but this time I felt even worse because I couldn't stop thinking about little Zayne. It seems that you've made a mark on how I see popculture :p And I must say, Batman was a perfect choice for his made-up friend. They both feel somewhat guilty over what happened and are emotionally messed up because of it. I know Zayne is more into cooking that deadly gadgets and martial arts, but I see similarities in their emotional vulnerability. Of course I've never expected Zayne to become a suited-up vigilante( it wouldn't fit the theme and overall feel of the story, I think. doesn't mean it wouldn't be awesome), but I was prepared for a darker story. And I got it.
    Much like Mari once was to herself, Zayne is his own worst enemy, ready to explode anytime anyone offers him help.
    After today's chapter, I'm inclined to say that his childhood therapist didn't do the greatest job. Keeping things to himself, striving for independence and counting only on himself were his defence mechanism after what happened to his parents AND overcompensating/over-sheltering from Marklyne and everyone else.
    I know they had good intentions, but it seems to me that they contributed quite a bit to Zayne getting stuck on a sloppy end of being an adult. He has many great qualities ( he's loyal, caring, creative, persistent- I'd say he succeeded in culinary career because of his hard-work), but I get where his insecurities come from. He doesn't know how to deal with majority of his feelings and emotions and his childhood mechanisms are still at work. I feel like he's aware of it, at some level at least, and it makes him frustrated. That, and since he doubts himself a lot, he interprets others' suggestions as a sign they don't believe in him either. It all ( meaning mostly his mndset) is holding him back and this is one diffuclt battle.
    I think he may start turning things around now, and I'm here to root for him, but I'm not expecting it to be easy. I think he shoulnd't have left therapy when he was just ten, but I can see 10-year-old spitfire Zayne protesting to see a stupid shrink ever again.

So, that's my take on Zayne. I know it's not exactly revelatory, but I thought I'd share. :p I was just thinking about it, and while I've always understood his actions, especially the stupid ones, now I feel like everything clicked for me. The way he is makes so much sense, unreasonable as he tends to be.

• ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    I was just thinking a felt I needed to share this. I agree with @chocis on that his parent's death had somewhat of an effect on him. If i'm right from reading similar things before. Zayne has always felt the need to be Independent from a young age, due to the fact he lost his parents, he had the suffering of what we would hope to be a much older person. This meant he felt he needed to grow up much quicker than others. He shows signs of being a scared little boy because of the fact he rushed on growing up, he didn't have much time for the process of maturing, leading to him being both mature but with hints of the scared child he still is on the outside. He felt insecure when he found out about Hope's modelling work because of the fact his world was turned upside down when his parents passed. He's never really had someone to explain relationships to him. Mark wouldn't be the best role model for obvious reasons but his father would have been since he would understand a bit more about how Zayne feels. He is also insecure about his restaurant as he doesn't feel motivation but also because he is scared that if he puts everything into it, if it fails it will turn his life upside down again and he is scared of that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top