Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was The Sims a victim of it's own success?

Ok, I have been thinking lately about things, and I was wondering, as there are still a lot of discussions about the direction of the series I have started to look at things from several points of view.

Now, back when TS1 came out the game was very basic, we all know about that, even those who never played it. No one knew at the time if the game would even be popular so there was a few things that would have been left out without us even knowing. We could only play on up to 10 residential lots, there was only two life stages (not including an object like baby) and only 10 career tracks amongst only a handful of build or buy objects. You could only build on two floors as well, no 3D views and the cheapest TV you could buy was black and white!

But along came the EPs, which themselves followed a few basic free downloadable items. Of course there was some CC but even that was limited in those days. The first EPs where quite small compared to today's, you could say they were a bit more than a SP, perhaps like having an EP?

Then came TS2 which was light years ahead from TS1, you now had these Sims that could age up, new life stages, it was 3D, Sims could bring friends home from school or work, you could add more lots to the neighbourhood and even make your own 'template' if you had Sim City 4, you could even choose different colours for objects, the presets and that was before the EPs, the SPs and downloadables...

Then came TS3, another step ahead, an Open World, a CASt to make your own presets, life stages not much different but a few changes to the careers, you could go out collect things if you wanted, you could buy cars and all that was missing was a pool ladder, a hot tub and a gardener amongst a few other things. Then of course came the content, EPs, SPs, the Store, the tools, CAW, CAP and even a ridiculous amount of CC and Mods.

So now it is the TS4 era, it does not need to be mentioned that a few things were missing from the 'base game' so people are not too happy. The toddlers (yes, here we go again) are missing also but there are other things as well, no CAW being one other major thing, it does seem hard to compare TS4 to TS3.

So what does this mean? Did The Sims get too big that it was inevitable that one day would not be able to match a predecessor? Why does this even happen? Other games do this as well sometimes.

Take Tomb Raider for an example. TR1 had 14 levels (including a 'tutorial' level) but just 4 weapons. TR2 had 19 levels (including the tutorial) and this time 7 weapons and in some levels you have vehicles while years later, Tomb Raider Legend had only 9 levels.

Back to The Sims. Have players come to expect so much that these days, it is impossible to remember what it was like when TS1 first came out? Now I am not trying to say that players should expect their monies worth, as they certainly do, however are expectations going too high? Are we expecting 3 EPs to come with a base game on launch day?

The way I see it is, the series has come so far that it is now impossible to appeal to every player. While one EP might be 'the best one ever' to one player, another player will openly boycott it. We even have these 'play styles' now that I never even heard of back in the old days 'family player' or 'single player' or 'deviant' or 'builder' ect. What am I though? I just call myself a Simmer as I play with all play styles from time to time. I refer to other players as Simmers and only put people into the aforementioned categories because it seems easier to do so.

So like I said, has The Sims started to become a victim of its own success and has changed from being ' a game that everyone loved' to a game that 'some people like, others do not' with a worrying divide?

Please discuss nicely...

Thread rules
Please respect other player's opinions, even if they differ from yours
No gifs
No flame bait
No shade

Speak out, speak up and Sim on :smile:

Peace
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I agree with this but I also think it is a victim of the "money for nothing and your checks for free" mentality of publicly traded corporations these days.
  • Options
    HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    You could say the same about other games. Even from the beginning its impossible to appeal to every player.

Sims 4 is a step up from Sims 3 in some ways, and a step down. But that's my opinion. People were divided about Sims 3. I don't like Sims 2, and it's never interested me.

Play styles exist in every open ended game. They have existed for a long, long time.

I'm a Simmer as well, and I openly enjoy Sims 4.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• Options
    HimynameisHimynameis Posts: 336 Member
    I agree to an extent but I do think the Sims 4 is the product if terrible management more than anything. If they had a manager who truly cared about the game and the fans there would be much less missing and much less complaining.
    All we can do is wait and hope that they actually start to listen to us again and produce content that can appeal to everyone.
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    In the lifespan of a series, there's bound to be a few iterations that will receive mixed opinions. It happens in series of movies, music albums and even video games. Final Fantasy has it's share of bad games, Queen has some bad albums (Hot Space) and let's not get started on Star Wars...
    Thread rules
    No gifs

OmK8lulOMQ9XO.gif

• Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    edited December 2015
    Just gonna go ahead and:
    Your opinion is wrong, mine is right.
    hamster.gif
    🐸🐸🐸🐸 all
    i am better than all of you

Now that's set aside.

Every game franchise reaches a point where the developers try something new, or focus on a different aspect of the series. Many times many players like the old ways better and many like the new approach, The Sims 3 caused a divide in the community in release, in a couple of years things will return to normal and all this nonsense will be left behind.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Thanks for the good replies so far :smile:
    Mightydan wrote: »
    In the lifespan of a series, there's bound to be a few iterations that will receive mixed opinions. It happens in series of movies, music albums and even video games. Final Fantasy has it's share of bad games, Queen has some bad albums (Hot Space) and let's not get started on Star Wars...
    Thread rules
    No gifs

OmK8lulOMQ9XO.gif

Indeed, this is one of the points I am making. Usually you always have a phase or period in any popular series when things aren't as popular as before.

Apparently this happened to The Simpsons around the late 90s, some of the Hardcore fans apparently hated the direction of the series and some say it never recovered from the 'golden period' of the early 90s but I never even noticed.

Lego itself has gone through phases like this, I even stumbled across a fan site, slightly outdated now where one major Lego fan who is in fact the same age as me was reviewing sets from the 90s and said the same things I had been thinking for years. Certain themes and sets from Lego seemed to have high periods with a large number of popular sets and then other years when the number of sets in the theme was minimal or the sets were even 'watered down' somewhat.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I don't think it's because The Sims 3 is hard to compete with. It's because EA and Maxis became so adapted to their fans buying whatever they put out that they knew people would buy Sims 4 just because it's labeled with "The Sims" on it. The fans aren't to blame. EA and Maxis are. It has nothing to do with not being able to please all the fans. Also, they rushed the game as well. It was very obvious that they did, which is the reason I just find it hilarious when people are always praising them and thanking them for the content/features they release monthly in patches. They act as if EA is being generous! lol They aren't. They're simply giving us back the features/content that should've been in the base game to begin with. When The Sims 4 first arrived, the game hardly had any features or content to play with... and even after all those patches, the gameplay still remains repetitive.

The main reasons Sims 4 fails to succeed over Sims 3 is because it lacks all the things that made Sims 3 great! The open world and create a style features are without a doubt the two main reasons most people wanted to play the game (Sims 3). Those are the things that were constantly being advertised when Sims 3 was in development. All the fans became excited.

When Sims 4 was announced, all they talked about were the emotions, create a sim, and build mode. They hardly bothered to speak about the gameplay. Why? Because they knew it lacked so many things, so they attempted to sell us the other features instead.

The Sims 3 was an overall success because of the features (mainly open world and create a style). Even though the game often lagged a lot for many players (mostly because of their computers and not the game itself), people still enjoyed it because it was all about freedom! The fact that the slogan for Sims 4 is "You Rule" is quite laughable... especially since we lack A LOT of freedom and creativity in that game compared to Sims 3.

The Sims isn't a victim to its own success. The Sims is a victim to a greedy company that only cares about money and not their fans. Sims and Sims 2 were filled with glorious content and features because EA actually somewhat cared about their fans. The Sims 3 was still full of content and features, but the store often pushed the limits. The Sims 4 is a pure cash cow. The fact that they thought they could get away with lacking base game features is an example of this (especially since most people paid between $60-$100 for the game). Also, the 'Spooky' pack is another great example. The only reason they released that was for Halloween... because honestly, what else would we use it for? We don't even have Seasons in the game yet, so what use does it have overall!? And let's not forget the fact that they basically charged $10 for a buffet table and then another $10 for hot tubs (both of which have been included in base games prior to Sims 4). Yes, I'm aware that the packs they came with have other things as well, but you can't deny the fact that the main selling points were the "premium content". And while I'm on stuff packs, didn't they say in the beginning that game packs were supposed to replace them!? What happened to that!? The Sims 4 is also the game that's being developed by the same people who claimed making a bear in the 'Outdoor Retreat' game pack was "too hard", so I really shouldn't be surprised at all this.

-End rant-
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    @Lustianicia Great reply! :smiley:

Indeed I am concerned about the whole 'people will buy it because it has The Sims on it' but then again, there was a lot of people who were 'on the fence' during the pre release days and many of them never crossed that fence.

As for Open World and CASt being the main features of TS3, there is more to TS3 than that but they are indeed two excellent examples of an improvement from TS2. I do like how they handled the traits as well which work better than the old fashioned personality points.

I am not sure if I would blame the devs for making the things the way they are though, I wouldn't know what goes on in the office but devs may or may not have an overall say in what gets said during a games development. Personally I think that TS4 was being rushed out, namely due to the fact the game was being changed from Olympus to TS4 which gave less time than needed to make the game 'fleshed out' and patching things in does seem to be fairer was to add content back in but it is not always the developers who make these choices of what gets added or what does not get added at each time.

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    It's a bit far fetched to claim that everyone had no issues with past games and that everyone loved 1,2 and 3. Personally the worst game for me was Sims 2 as I got very bored so easily and yes it had major improvements but none of them were very important to me. Sims 4 I feel is being over analyzed saying that it is an awful mess like no other will last for the next 2 years or so but will end when 5 is released. I see nothing special or different about the game and it's creation either.
    A big reason people hate Sims 4 so much is that as humans we really hate change think about it how many times have you heard people complain about the world we live in and how much better the past was. We don't like things that are unfamiliar or new this is one of the reasons fast food chains are so popular cause we want the same proccesesd stuff we got last time and we are comfortable with it and fear disappointment. The biggest complaints aren't about things that make the game worse but things that were in the game last time but aren't now. Get Together is disliked alot because it's not pets or generations and goes into unfamiliar territory. People can never be pleased and there will always be disappointment in every game.
  • Options
    CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    Thank you mods for moving this to Off-Topic where it belongs :kissing_closed_eyes:
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have yet to migrate from 3 to 4, on account specifically on the absence of the "Create A Style" tool, which I use all the time. 3 has issues, but for the most part these are known issues for which there are work-arounds or mods. There is also an accumulation of years of EP and SP content for Sims 3, to say nothing of the Store. I have a lot invested. I can wait for 4 to catch up - or even for 5 - and still have plenty I have not yet done with 3. But then, I came to it late.

Expectations are inevitable, and can be a real curse for an established franchise like The Sims. And gamers are notoriously loud and unpleasant with their dissatisfaction (even if Simmers fall toward the mellower end of the spectrum). It's the other side of the "established market" sword, and you don't just need to be as good as the last iteration, you need to compete with nostalgia for previous iterations.

Case in point, my current household are recently married and just had a pair of twins, currently toddlers. Sure, you can do some stuff with toddlers, but even with Generations, it's rather limited, and I have done most of it. A few more readings from skill books, maybe a bit more time with the xylophone and peg box, and I'll be ready to invited the Granddads over for the birthday party.

And maybe that life stage really is some players' absolute favorite... But really, it's hardly the heart of the game. Take it away, though, and through nostalgia it seems like a lost Golden Age of Simming - even if it's not lost. I mean, The Sims 3 is still there. It runs. I am playing it now.

So yes, success of a franchise can be a liability as much as an asset. But for players, it comes down to finding what you enjoy in the game, enjoying that, and excusing the flaws. Because there are always flaws. That's just how things are. I am sure the creative folks at Maxis are looking carefully at what is popular and unpopular in 4. Hopefully 4 will improve and 5 will be better. But for now, I have potties to empty and kids to hose down. I can be patient.
  • Options
    KimsSimsKimsSims Posts: 95 Member
    edited December 2015
    I just want my game to run as smoothly as it did before the last patch. I love Simming! sans the lag.
    90ppvq.jpg

• Options
    Ping YoPing Yo Posts: 1,263 Member
    EA LIKES TO FEED THEIR CUSTOMERS HALF THAWWED FISH, THAT'S WHY!!

i love myself, tbh.
    ]
  • Options
    Ping YoPing Yo Posts: 1,263 Member
    Ping Yo wrote: »
    EA LIKES TO FEED THEIR CUSTOMERS HALF THAWWED FISH, THAT'S WHY!!

i love myself, tbh.

this was a joke please don't hurt me!
    ]
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    @Lustianicia Great reply! :smiley:

Indeed I am concerned about the whole 'people will buy it because it has The Sims on it' but then again, there was a lot of people who were 'on the fence' during the pre release days and many of them never crossed that fence.

As for Open World and CASt being the main features of TS3, there is more to TS3 than that but they are indeed two excellent examples of an improvement from TS2. I do like how they handled the traits as well which work better than the old fashioned personality points.

I am not sure if I would blame the devs for making the things the way they are though, I wouldn't know what goes on in the office but devs may or may not have an overall say in what gets said during a games development. Personally I think that TS4 was being rushed out, namely due to the fact the game was being changed from Olympus to TS4 which gave less time than needed to make the game 'fleshed out' and patching things in does seem to be fairer was to add content back in but it is not always the developers who make these choices of what gets added or what does not get added at each time.

Oh yeah, The Sims 3 definitely has many more great features that just made the game so amazing! <3 You're correct there. I was just pointing out that open world and create a style were often the main selling points for many. Other things I liked about it was the fact that the skills weren't so basic anymore. The creative skill was finally branched off into guitar, piano, drums, painting, sculpting, etc. As were many other skills. I also loved the more realistic appearance it has in comparison to other games. Also, the way they introduced each expansion pack was awesome as well. There are still many features in The Sims 3 that I haven't even tried yet! There's just so much to do in that game! :smiley:

And maybe the developers don't necessarily have a say in what happens to the game. I suppose it's probably a bit of an exaggeration to blame them. But, Sims 4 was definitely rushed. I completely forgot about the whole "Olympus" concept. Thanks for reminding me! lol That right there should be enough to show that this game wasn't even meant to be a main Sims game, but, like I said, they knew most people would buy nearly anything with "The Sims" on it. EA and Maxis are just greedy! :(
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    picklesthecat114picklesthecat114 Posts: 2,690 Member
    This is true, they added so much they don't know what else to put in it. But why then did they leave so much stuff out...?
    Lantern-flying-in-Tangled.gif
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who has continued to provide feedback :smile:

@Sindocat Good points, I myself haven't seen everything in TS3 yet ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,252 Member
    Do you think TS4 should have started with all the features of TS3 and some of the EP packs? Like it could start with cats and dogs (no horses) and sometimes have rain.
  • Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    Yeah things do tend to get wonky when iterations don't live up to the expectations. TS4 is for better & for worst a victim of expectations. It will always be held in comparison to it's predecessors.

I don't like being stuck in a funk so when I lose interest I just have to move on else where. I lost interest in TS4 for a few months but never actually gave up on it as I still like to try out CC in Cas.

I do find the game boring but It's mostly narrowed down to the fact that I've sorta lost interest in the series all together. I'm not as passionate about the game as I used to be but I'm not willing to give it up just yet :)
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    rosey1579 wrote: »
    Do you think TS4 should have started with all the features of TS3 and some of the EP packs? Like it could start with cats and dogs (no horses) and sometimes have rain.

I myself do think that it is time for pets and some seasons to be in the basegame :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    To me, EA has a vision and that "vision" is to make TS as cheap as possible yet sell it for top dollar like it's worth it when it's not. How many people went out in bought it too? I don't care, I didn't fall for that nor had false hope because I already knew what EA were doing and still are doing. EA has the money and resources to make TS continuously the best than the last, however it costs too much money and they would rather not spend much time on a game like TS. Plus they keep trying to turn everything into an online/social/cross-platform kind of game even when the players say no. Odd right? TS could have still been blowing up in both popularity and money if they knew how to treat franchises and fans. But they can keep that arrogant attitude with them if they want, I'm out.

===========================================

So far there are two no three game companies I like and here's why:

Nintendo
    The one game company to save the whole video game industry. But not only that, I grew up with Nintendo and really enjoy the games. They may recycle a lot but they know how to produce quality and fun games on top of adding new gameplay to make the game still feel familiar but at the same time a new experience. To be honest though, I didn't even want a Wii U and do not even own one...yet. But just ordered one because hey, those games look fun and I'm missing out. By the way guys, if you want to buy a Wii U hurry up and go to Best Buy, in-store or online. They have a deal for the Wii U Deluxe with Mario Kart 8 pre-installed for $249.99.

Techland
    If I'm not mistaken my first experience with them is with Dead Island. There were quite a bit of major glitches when they launched that game. Like the one where you play online with someone and then when you quit it never saved your progress. They stopped working on DLC and went back to correct all the major issues as soon as possible. Now that's not only integrity but amazing customer service. This is the real "Players are First" mentality. Now there's Dying Light and they are giving everyone who owns the game a free enhanced version instead of releasing an entirely different version to buy again for those who already own the game. They are not greedy, they care about the quality of their worksmanship and they care about giving the players the best experience. This company I definitely take a liking to.

TellTale
    I only have a few games like The Walking Dead/400 Days/Season 2, The Wolf Among Us, Tales of Monkey Island and Sam & Max. I don't know really anything about Minecraft but I think I might get that too, it looks fun. I hope some day they could team up with Capcom and do something Resident Evil related. Moving on, I like their games but they definitely could work on the console versions because it does pause a bit and stutters but other than that their games are very interesting. It was crazy, I can't remember which episode of TWD it was, maybe 4 or 5 but so many people was trying to download when it released that their servers went down. They were a little surprised and didn't expect that many people and so their servers couldn't handle all that, lol. But it got sorted out within a few hours. I can't wait until February when TWD: Michonne comes out and to see how will this relate to Season 3. And now they have a Batman series coming out next year, I'm getting that too. Man this is an amazing game company as well.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”