Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims won't do anything on command

Comments

• Options
    KlarissaKlarissa Posts: 1 New Member
    I am having the issue of my sim not listening to my command. I read through the comments however I have no idea what all this fancy lingo means. I have no idea what mod means. I need a "dumbed down" explanation for a person who is not tech savey. Please. I did go into the game settings and found the option to disable mods. I chose that option and restarted the game however the problem was not solved.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    edited July 2017
    Klarissa wrote: »
    I am having the issue of my sim not listening to my command. I read through the comments however I have no idea what all this fancy lingo means. I have no idea what mod means. I need a "dumbed down" explanation for a person who is not tech savey. Please. I did go into the game settings and found the option to disable mods. I chose that option and restarted the game however the problem was not solved.

Hello @Klarissa
    Mods and cc are items that other simmers have created to add extra items to the game. Cc may be clothing or other cas items, or build/buy mode item. Mods add extra features to the game, or help to fix bugs or issues that are in the game.
    These links explain about cc and mods
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/mods-cc.php
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_4_Package_Files
    http://sims-online.com/install-mods-custom-content-sims-4-tutorial/

With your issue, mods /cc wouldn't be causing the issue because you haven't downloaded any .

Try instead repairing the game , and see if that may help. To do that, log in to Origin, right click on the sims 4 picture in games library in Origin and click repair

Try starting a fresh new save game, and test to see if the issues are in that new save game also.
  • Options
    Linds6606Linds6606 Posts: 72 Member
    I know this was posted a couple years ago but I'm still having problems. I have maybe 5 CC in the mods file. Anytime I tell a sim to do something everyone stands around for maybe 3 or 4 sim hours and does absolutely nothing. I can't take it anymore!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Linds6606 wrote: »
    I know this was posted a couple years ago but I'm still having problems. I have maybe 5 CC in the mods file. Anytime I tell a sim to do something everyone stands around for maybe 3 or 4 sim hours and does absolutely nothing. I can't take it anymore!

Hello @Linds6606

Move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if that helps the issues.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated.
    Start a new game and test to see if the issues are in that new save game.
    Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or "options" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder.
  • Options
    Rosemow, thank you for your response!
    I tried repairing the game but that didn't help. I've had this problem in the past on my desktop (I'm playing on a brand new laptop now), but never this bad. Before, I actually reset my sims folder and tried a new game but that lost everything I had, my current household and everything in my gallery. I'd rather not do that if possible. It's only gotten worse now. I recently bought a laptop & now I'm playing on the laptop. When I first started playing on the laptop it was great & super fast. Now it's way worse than when I was playing on my desktop. It's extremely frustrating & almost to the point where I'm going to give up & not play anymore...
  • Options
    gattirenatagattirenata Posts: 5 New Member
    i know this has been discussed as this thread is a couple of years old, but this is sooo irritating.
    i have learned my lesson!!!! i had lots of content from other websites... i guess they are called mods?!?! or something like that... and my game crashed and froze all the time.
    after insisting for ages.... IT CRASHED MY WHOLE COMPUTER.
    i ended up losing quite a few things in general that i hadn't backed up. =( it was a pain in the 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
    so after that, no more custom content (which is a pain!!!! i've been playing this game since the first version, and i'd believe the creators and developers would make some other cooler stuff! like better hair, and better makeup... and lets not even mention fashion lol but not only don't make them, the game now crashes if you have custom content.

at that time i tired everything! moving folders doing this doing that!!!! everything!
    it just made things worse.

after a looong time i decided maybe i could download stuff from the maxis library! that's as official as it can be right??
    and still. i didn't download ANY objects. just households.
    and after i did that (3 households in total)
    the game just started being odd.

the sims don't respond to command, BUT only teens, when it's time to go to work or school. they don't do anything. just stop there, where they are. and it's even weirder. i tried in vain to sending 4 teens to work, didn't work. so i closed it without saving the game, and opened it right away. they had gone, even thou i ended up not saving the game. i just can't figure out what is going on.

shift+ctrl+c sometimes doesn't open the area to write the cheats. so irritating ill tell ya. if i restart the whole game it will work, but still.
    many times clicking on the sims doesn't open the options. =/ gotta try like, 3, 4 times!!!!

my laptop is basically just a year old, so that can't be the issue.
    also because until a couple of days ago everythign worked perfecly and fast.

i was seriously hoping that if i downloaded stuff from the official sisms gallery i wouldnt' have this kind of conflict! =(
  • Options
    I tried repairing the game but that didn't help. I've had this problem in the past on my desktop (I'm playing on a brand new laptop now), but never this bad. Before, I actually reset my sims folder and tried a new game but that lost everything I had, my current household and everything in my gallery. I'd rather not do that if possible. It's only gotten worse now. I recently bought a laptop & now I'm playing on the laptop. When I first started playing on the laptop it was great & super fast. Now it's way worse than when I was playing on my desktop. It's extremely frustrating & almost to the point where I'm going to give up & not play anymore...

Hello @Linds6606
    I am sorry that you are having these issues. When resetting your sims 4 folder, you need to place back your old saves and tray folders into the new sims 4 folder, or else you won't have your save games or anything that you have saved to your library. You may not have placed these folders back, so that is why you lost them.

Could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information to pastebin https://pastebin.com
    and post the link to the file here

• Options
    i know this has been discussed as this thread is a couple of years old, but this is sooo irritating.
    i have learned my lesson!!!! i had lots of content from other websites... i guess they are called mods?!?! or something like that... and my game crashed and froze all the time.
    after insisting for ages.... IT CRASHED MY WHOLE COMPUTER.
    i ended up losing quite a few things in general that i hadn't backed up. =( it was a pain in the plum.
    so after that, no more custom content (which is a pain!!!! i've been playing this game since the first version, and i'd believe the creators and developers would make some other cooler stuff! like better hair, and better makeup... and lets not even mention fashion lol but not only don't make them, the game now crashes if you have custom content.

at that time i tired everything! moving folders doing this doing that!!!! everything!
    it just made things worse.

after a looong time i decided maybe i could download stuff from the maxis library! that's as official as it can be right??
    and still. i didn't download ANY objects. just households.
    and after i did that (3 households in total)
    the game just started being odd.

the sims don't respond to command, BUT only teens, when it's time to go to work or school. they don't do anything. just stop there, where they are. and it's even weirder. i tried in vain to sending 4 teens to work, didn't work. so i closed it without saving the game, and opened it right away. they had gone, even thou i ended up not saving the game. i just can't figure out what is going on.

shift+ctrl+c sometimes doesn't open the area to write the cheats. so irritating ill tell ya. if i restart the whole game it will work, but still.
    many times clicking on the sims doesn't open the options. =/ gotta try like, 3, 4 times!!!!

my laptop is basically just a year old, so that can't be the issue.
    also because until a couple of days ago everythign worked perfecly and fast.

i was seriously hoping that if i downloaded stuff from the official sisms gallery i wouldnt' have this kind of conflict! =(

Hello @gattirenata
    I am sorry that you are having these issues :(
    With the issue with the teen going to school, other simmers also have this issue. This AHQ EA site thread refers to the issue
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-Game-freezes-when-kids-teens-go-to-school/m-p/5870882#M34546

This is what another simmer helpfully suggested on another thread
    Toreshinbo posted
    When it's almost time for school (around 7:50) make your window veeeery tiny. That way the game will snap back to it's usual rate. It might get stuck for a few seconds but that's it. When the kids are at school you can enlarge the window again :smile:
    I know it's an annoying workaround but at least it helps.

• Options
    wonderrland_wonderrland_ Posts: 1 New Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > Hello @panton41.
    > Try repairing the game and see if that helps. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.
    >
    > Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders.
    >
    > Do you have a baby in your household? If you do, see if the issue with the shower is fixed when the baby has aged up.

I have just tried doing this and sadly got no luck :/. My one sim will only interact with other sims in the household, she wont take care of the toddler, take care of her needs, or move anywhere. I have also tried repairing my sims twice. I'm not sure what to do next. I really love this family and do not want to end up having to abandoning it. I had a similar yet worse issue with another family where they literally wouldn't do anything whatsoever. At this point I feel as I have terrible luck with Sims. I'm hoping someone can help me out.
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    > Hello @panton41.
    > Try repairing the game and see if that helps. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.
    >
    > Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders.
    >
    > Do you have a baby in your household? If you do, see if the issue with the shower is fixed when the baby has aged up.

I have just tried doing this and sadly got no luck :/. My one sim will only interact with other sims in the household, she wont take care of the toddler, take care of her needs, or move anywhere. I have also tried repairing my sims twice. I'm not sure what to do next. I really love this family and do not want to end up having to abandoning it. I had a similar yet worse issue with another family where they literally wouldn't do anything whatsoever. At this point I feel as I have terrible luck with Sims. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Hello @wonderrland
    Check to see if there is a option in the friendly social section of the sim to " introduce yourself " to the toddler.
    Try evicting the sims household, then move them back into the home and see if that helps.
    If the issues remain, it may be best to age the toddler up to becoming a child.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. This game does require a mid range gaming desktop. To play on laptop you need a higher end gaming laptop to equal the requirements on desktop. As the game adds more and more, the game becomes more demanding on a computer. As @rosemow suggested it would be a good idea to post your computer specs (dxdiag) to see if your computer meets requirements or you need diver updates etc.
  • Options
    Thank you @rosemow & @phoebebebe13 for your help. Ultimately I restarted the entire game. I lost everything which is totally fine because I wasn't that far into my gameplay.It seems to be working ok for now but I hope it stays that way. Thank you again! :)
  • Options
    Thank you @rosemow & @phoebebebe13 for your help. Ultimately I restarted the entire game. I lost everything which is totally fine because I wasn't that far into my gameplay.It seems to be working ok for now but I hope it stays that way. Thank you again! :)

Hello @Linds6606
    You're welcome :) I am sorry that you had to restart your game again. It is good that it seems to be working okay now.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

Your welcome. Glad you got it working. Enjoy your game :)
  • Options
    VersxaintVersxaint Posts: 3 New Member
    I did all these steps but I am still expierencing problems where I try to make my sim do something, and it completely cancels and then my sim "See whats happening?". I find it extremely annoying considering my toddlers are starving and my sim won't feed them. I don't believe it is in CC (I don't use mods just CC) because the CC has been working perfectly fine before, and I haven't got any new CC since a few months ago, and it's been working fine up until yesterday.
  • Options
    Versxaint wrote: »
    I did all these steps but I am still expierencing problems where I try to make my sim do something, and it completely cancels and then my sim "See whats happening?". I find it extremely annoying considering my toddlers are starving and my sim won't feed them. I don't believe it is in CC (I don't use mods just CC) because the CC has been working perfectly fine before, and I haven't got any new CC since a few months ago, and it's been working fine up until yesterday.

Hello @Versxaint
    Just to test that to make sure that isn't caused by cc, try moving your whole mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the issues are still there.

If the issues still remain, repairing the game may help. To do that, go to games library in Origin, right click on the sims 4 picture and click repair
  • Options
    not_susannot_susan Posts: 1 New Member
    hi, ive read the ENTIRE thread, taken out my mods, taken out my saves, repaired my game, reset origin, changed to 32bit mode, reset the sims 4 folder, nothing happens, i think it might have something to do with my saves given that everything works fine without my saves, but when i put them back in, the problem continues to happen
  • Options
    not_susan wrote: »
    hi, ive read the ENTIRE thread, taken out my mods, taken out my saves, repaired my game, reset origin, changed to 32bit mode, reset the sims 4 folder, nothing happens, i think it might have something to do with my saves given that everything works fine without my saves, but when i put them back in, the problem continues to happen

Hello @not_susan
    Your current save file may be corrupt. You may need to start a new save game file. You could save your sims and their homes to your library and place them into the new save game.They will lose though any relationships that your sims have with sims not in their household, and will lose their inventory and collections progress. They will retain though their skills, reward traits, aspiration progress and their careers.
    If you have an earlier version of your save game, you could also test to see if the issue remains in that game.
  • Options
    rysrpsrysrps Posts: 1 New Member
    I don't know much about this forum because I am new... but I found this because I really need advice in my game, but the forum won't even let me ask a question... I'm starting to regret spending money on Sims 4.

My sims also won't do anything they are told to do. I have been playing the Sims since Sims 2, and Sims 4 is the first game I ever wanted to shut off autonomy. I keep giving my sims directions like 'read toddler to sleep', or 'cook', or even 'go to the bathroom'. Looking up on it, I hear people complaining about sims not doing anything, but that's not even the problem I'm having.

They still move around and do stuff, just not what I tell them. They will drop the action I told them to do, and instead go play with a dollhouse, or watch tv, and if I try to cancel what they chose do do, the Sim goes to do it anyway to the point I've had to use the cheat 'resetsim' just to get my sim to school or work on time because they have refused the action I ordered, and instead want to 'play on the computer', and won't even stop after I cancelled the action. I'm finding myself getting more and more frustrated with the game, and three times now, I go so frustrated I quit, and went back to The Sims 3...

Each thread I've looked at about the issue though says 'not moving at all' or 'check your CC/Mods', but I had neither of those problems... hope you found an answer... but I just might go back to Sims 3 where all I have to worry about is lag.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    rysrps wrote: »
    I don't know much about this forum because I am new... but I found this because I really need advice in my game, but the forum won't even let me ask a question... I'm starting to regret spending money on Sims 4.

My sims also won't do anything they are told to do. I have been playing the Sims since Sims 2, and Sims 4 is the first game I ever wanted to shut off autonomy. I keep giving my sims directions like 'read toddler to sleep', or 'cook', or even 'go to the bathroom'. Looking up on it, I hear people complaining about sims not doing anything, but that's not even the problem I'm having.

They still move around and do stuff, just not what I tell them. They will drop the action I told them to do, and instead go play with a dollhouse, or watch tv, and if I try to cancel what they chose do do, the Sim goes to do it anyway to the point I've had to use the cheat 'resetsim' just to get my sim to school or work on time because they have refused the action I ordered, and instead want to 'play on the computer', and won't even stop after I cancelled the action. I'm finding myself getting more and more frustrated with the game, and three times now, I go so frustrated I quit, and went back to The Sims 3...

Each thread I've looked at about the issue though says 'not moving at all' or 'check your CC/Mods', but I had neither of those problems... hope you found an answer... but I just might go back to Sims 3 where all I have to worry about is lag.

Hello @rysrps
    I am sorry that you are having these issues.
    MC Command Center mod has ways of turning off Sims from doing autonomous things in the game. This link explains about the feature.
    https://deaderpoolmc.tumblr.com/AutomationScan
    You may like to install MCCC mod and use that feature
    https://deaderpoolmc.tumblr.com

Try also repairing the game and see if that may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

If you use cc/mods, move the whole mods folder to the desktop and see if the issues remain. I wasn’t sure if you used them or not,

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or " options " file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder
  • Options
    Gamerfox16Gamerfox16 Posts: 14 New Member
    Mine is doing the same!! I cannot take out any of my cc and I do not have any mods? I really want to play cats and dogs but it seems I cannot :'(
  • Options
    Gamerfox16Gamerfox16 Posts: 14 New Member
    I thought it was a phase because it was working a second ago at the dog park but as soon as I went 2 the paragons gathering 2 join nothing worked!!! >:(
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Gamerfox16 wrote: »
    I thought it was a phase because it was working a second ago at the dog park but as soon as I went 2 the paragons gathering 2 join nothing worked!!! >:(

Hello @Gamerfox16
    Try coming completely out of the game, back to the desktop. Then load the game again, and see if the issue remains.

If the issues still remain, repairing the game may help. To do that, go to games library in Origin, right click on the sims 4 picture and click repair

If you still have issues , move your whole mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if that helps the issues. If it does help, then put your mods/CC back into the newly generated mods folder in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing the game after each one to see which is the cause of the problem. Put one item or batch in , test the game , take it out. Then test another one, to find the cause of the issue.
  • Options
    HolyMan85HolyMan85 Posts: 2 New Member
    My oldest and original sim out of 4 adults, a toddler, child will no longer follow through with any commands. Other sims can interact with him, but he himself will not do his own commands. I play 100% legit. No cheats. I have no mods or anything. Tried repairing and refreshing file. Once I transferred over my last saved file(only thing I transferred), reopened, and he still won't do anything.
  • Options
    HolyMan85HolyMan85 Posts: 2 New Member
    @rosemow ^^^^ See above information please. Any ideas from here?