Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin just destroyed my Sims 3

noodlesandmenoodlesandme Posts: 188 Member
edited November 2015 in The Sims 3 Bugs & Issues
So I HAD to execute the Origin download, but each time it attempts to do whatever it is trying to do, I get a pop up saying "download failed". I can't open any of my Sims 3 games. I'm not a tech guru, so anything involving moving files or turning off my firewall isn't happening. I'm furious that a game that once ran perfectly NOW DOESN'T RUN AT ALL. Who came up with this scheme anyway?
I assume that when I call Origin, I will be credited for the hundreds of dollars that I spent on EP's and content throughout the life of SIMS 3, that I can NO LONGER ACCESS.
In the old days you bought a disc, you loaded the disc, it was yours, it worked and no one could ruin it. Apparently NOW you pay for something, only to find out that you were borrowing it from the manufacturer. RIP OFF

Comments

• TheGreatSquarkTheGreatSquark Posts: 77 Member
    It's easier to get help if you don't get hot under the collar. But, moving on. First, let me see if I understand your problem.

You either uninstalled TS3 or are trying to install it on a new computer.
    You have installed origin succesfully.
    You are now trying to download the TS3 games via the origin client, but when you attempt to do so, you get a pop up saying that the download failed.

Assuming this is correct, we need a number of things if we're going to help you.

1) What Operating System are you using? Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, or Mac?
    2) Which program had the popup? Origin, or your computer?
    3) What sort of security system do you use?
    4) Do you have the original CDs and CD keys, or did you make some or all of your purchases of Sims 3 stuff through Origin?

Also, one other question that might help eliminate any concern that this is a TS3 specific problem- Origin has a number of free games. Can you try downloading them and see if you get the same problem? If you do, the problem is definitely related to the origin client or your computer's security. If you actually can download free games, and TS3 still won't download, that's almost certainly a sign something is wrong on EA's end, and then you should contact them directly. Just try not to get too angry- You're not talking to executives or anyone with any control over the business process, you're talking to a techie who has to deal with a neverending stream of problems. They want to help you, but to do that they need to understand the problem.

Apologies if I came off too preachy or pretentious. I'm just trying to be helpful, but I'm aware that I sometimes come across as disrespectful without meening to.
    Hey TS3 Fans! Don't have Late night yet, or have a friend who doesn't have it yet? I'm giving a spare code away on Christmas Day! Check it out!
  • noodlesandmenoodlesandme Posts: 188 Member
    edited November 2015
    It's easier to get help if you don't get hot under the collar. But, moving on. First, let me see if I understand your problem.

You either uninstalled TS3 or are trying to install it on a new computer.
    You have installed origin succesfully.
    You are now trying to download the TS3 games via the origin client, but when you attempt to do so, you get a pop up saying that the download failed.

Assuming this is correct, we need a number of things if we're going to help you.

1) What Operating System are you using? Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, or Mac?
    2) Which program had the popup? Origin, or your computer?
    3) What sort of security system do you use?
    4) Do you have the original CDs and CD keys, or did you make some or all of your purchases of Sims 3 stuff through Origin?

Also, one other question that might help eliminate any concern that this is a TS3 specific problem- Origin has a number of free games. Can you try downloading them and see if you get the same problem? If you do, the problem is definitely related to the origin client or your computer's security. If you actually can download free games, and TS3 still won't download, that's almost certainly a sign something is wrong on EA's end, and then you should contact them directly. Just try not to get too angry- You're not talking to executives or anyone with any control over the business process, you're talking to a techie who has to deal with a neverending stream of problems. They want to help you, but to do that they need to understand the problem.

Apologies if I came off too preachy or pretentious. I'm just trying to be helpful, but I'm aware that I sometimes come across as disrespectful without meening to.

Sorry, I was furious and frustrated. I'm not bothered by your answer at all, and I appreciate your response. :)
    What happened is that my games : University, world adventures, outdoor living stuff, pets, seasons, generations, showtime, town life, high end loft stuff, into the future, late night, island paradise...all have been loaded on this computer for about 8 months. Plus I have hundreds of items in the Sims store, some in game, some not. My System is 8.1 the computer is 9 months old. Some of these games were originally on disc, but over time apparently ended up on my Origin account.
    Any how, I tried to run the game, but Origin stopped everything to initiate it's dreaded update. I figured that I'd allowed enough time to pass from when it was initially launched till now, for the bugs to have been worked out. However, during the process just prior to " finish", the error message came up ( this is an Origin message).
    Now I did turn off my firewall, just to see if that was the problem. But, that didn't make any difference after all.
    I did go though this about 6 times last night, with the same results. I really don't mind not getting the Origin update for Sims 3, in fact I'd prefer for it to leave me alone!
    As far as Origin for my Sims 4, that's on another computer running on Windows 10, no Sims 3 on that one.
    PHEW, so far, still can't get 3 to load and I am annoyed by this entire drama.
    I know that the folks answering the phone aren't at fault. I've done that type of job in my life and it's tough, especially when your company makes insane decisions, and the call center ends up taking the heat!
    Post edited by noodlesandme on
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    You might also try uninstalling Origin (only, not your games) and reinstalling it to see if it will take the update and work properly that way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net