Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you hate Spoilers?

Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
I personally hate spoilers, not all of them though. I hate Spoilers when you aren't warned about something being spoiled, that is, in terms of unreleased or just recently released content. I go to Youtube allot and read the comments section for things like The Walking Dead Theories and there are always these people in the comments who intentionally spoil everything that happens in the Season, they know what they're doing and they know they're spoiling unreleased content, they don't even give you a heads up that it's a spoiler, it aggravates me, I know I don't have to read the comments but they don't have to post the spoiler, I often stop reading them after I'm spoiled by their first line. I was spoiled by one of my favourite characters dying in both a TV Show and a Movie, which made me feel less emotional than I would usually feel, sorry for the rant, I just dislike it when people spoil without warning about new or unreleased content in terms of TV Shows and Movies. I personally feel like spoiling unreleased content about major plot points shouldn't be allowed. Saying this, I definitely don't mind people spoiling things about Books, Movies or TV Shows that have been out for many years, since I sometimes do look for spoilers, but I still think it's always nice to have a spoiler warning.

What are your opinions on Spoilers?
Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.

Comments

• RaishaRaisha Posts: 129 Member
    Ugh, YouTube comments can be awful. I don't read them at all. Not just because of spoilers, just to try to hold on to my faith in humanity.

That said, I don't mind spoilers so much. I don't think it really changes my enjoyment of a movie or something. I actually try to look stuff up before I read or watch it to make sure there isn't anything too disturbing. I'd rather know ahead of time if there's going to be something awful so I can brace for it out decide not to watch the movie or whatever. I have an overactive imagination and things like horror movies actually give me nightmares or make me unable to sleep.

But I try not to spoil things for other people, either, unless I want to warn them about stuff. Like my husband has a spider phobia so I tell him if there's going to be a bad spider scene do he can cover his eyes.
    disneysig3.jpg
    The Disney Legacy: 2/5 chapter: 3.4 Fill the World with Sunshine
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Raisha wrote: »
    Ugh, YouTube comments can be awful. I don't read them at all. Not just because of spoilers, just to try to hold on to my faith in humanity.

That said, I don't mind spoilers so much. I don't think it really changes my enjoyment of a movie or something. I actually try to look stuff up before I read or watch it to make sure there isn't anything too disturbing. I'd rather know ahead of time if there's going to be something awful so I can brace for it out decide not to watch the movie or whatever. I have an overactive imagination and things like horror movies actually give me nightmares or make me unable to sleep.

But I try not to spoil things for other people, either, unless I want to warn them about stuff. Like my husband has a spider phobia so I tell him if there's going to be a bad spider scene do he can cover his eyes.

I understand what you mean about trying to hold onto your humanity, I've almost lost my grip when I read the comments in videos showing equality, it's so putrid.

I don't mind spoilers as much either, it's mainly how they're presented, it doesn't take too long to have a spoiler warning first, I understand freedom of speech but to me, it's more about principles, I'd never want to spoil something for someone unless I was actually asked to. I also had nightmares when watching some movies, I used to be very afraid of Horror Movies and would be afraid to sleep at night due to my imagination that they could appear out of nowhere, I occasionally still have nightmares when watching some movies or at the very least feel very cautious when going to sleep.

It's also nice of you to do that for your husband, I find it a bit mean when people choose not to tell someone that something they're very afraid of is going to jump at them.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • S_EmpressS_Empress Posts: 169 Member
    Some like the excitement of not knowing upcoming points to a plot, so finding them out early can make their experience less fulfilling. I think we should respect these people and try not to reveal the points if one can. I do think, though, if someone is cruising the subject of the plot and not expecting it to be ruined...it's their fault if it is ruined for them.

I personally can't wait for the plot points to be revealed. So much so that if a TV show isn't revealing enough to me in one episode I drop the show altogether! I will not be strung along. When a game comes out, I give it a week and then YouTube the ending. It makes it more satisfying to me. It lets me figure out if the game is worth my time and money. It prepares me to play, especially if it is a decision-making game. When it comes to movies, I prefer to read the plot on wikipedia. I disdain sitting through most movies.
    d638a1c7eb80c6dc5cd92a6d922fe948.gif
    Call me Slavic for short. (^-^*)/
    Slavic_Empiress on TS3 site, I always welcome more friends.
    I sim with integrated graphics. d(-_^)
  • thegreenhulk2012thegreenhulk2012 Posts: 35 Member
    I have not idea, but I like spoilers especially when i'm so bored
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Depends on if I'm interesting in whatever form of media. If I am then I hate them.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I kind of spoiled myself for Revenge of the Sith, and regretted it. Thankfully, J J Abrams kept a pretty tight lid on The Force Awakens, though I read a review which kinda spoiled the opening crawl for me and wish I hadn't. Still, I will be going in to Ep. VII with a relatively unspoiled mind.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    I try to not let spoilers bother me much, but there was one game of thrones spoiler that someone told me that made me kind of mad.
  • br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    edited December 2015
    Spoilers don't bother me... mainly because I usually accidentally spoil things for people, so I can't complain.
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    I'm not too bothered by spoilers.

If anything, spoilers either make me either get into a new series, or motivate me to finish one I was currently going through.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • AstralSims777AstralSims777 Posts: 86 Member
    Sometimes I like it. When the 1st season is end, I would like to know what will be in the next season.
    ✦✿ My Youtube Channel ✿✦
  • LegaspiWeaverLegaspiWeaver Posts: 136 Member
    I don't mind them, but if I read something bad about a favorite character I love that's going to happen or whatever I ask myself after I read them "why did I read that" or something like that.
  • KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    Yeah I hate spoilers
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,070 Member
    In general, yes. The only time I might find them useful is if they somehow help in making a purchase decision for a movie or game (for example).
  • nishylovenishylove Posts: 495 Member
    I'd say yes.
    tumblr_inline_nx9tkdAJ4e1t9hr9b_500.gif
    Origin ID: nishylove
    Send an eGift | YouTube Channel | Roblox Profile
    “If you are the anvil, be patient. If you are the hammer; strike.”
  • infinitelysimmerinfinitelysimmer Posts: 37 Member
    I. HATE. SPOILERS.

*just as a warning there is a spoiler about TFIOS in this comment so read at your own risk.

ugh. When someone casually drops a spoiler during your conversation with them about a tv show I cringe. The worst is when someone INTENTIONALLY spoils something for you. Like if you tell them not to spoil it for you, but they do it anyways. That makes my blood boil. There was this one time where I was hyped to go see The Fault is in Our Stars in theaters and I was planning to read the book afterward. Anyways, I'm scrolling through Instagram and I see a funny picture and then I look at the caption and it says "Agustus Waters dies. I hate it when people don't read the book before the movie," and I was utterly heartbroken. This ignorant person just spoiled the biggest thing in the movie. I cried.
  • HausOfSuperHausOfSuper Posts: 1,825 Member
    i hate spoilers
    Male. INFP. Virgo.
  • pineapplerunawaypineapplerunaway Posts: 153 Member
    edited January 2017
    I don't mind them, sometimes they're good because if a movie is overly sad I won't want to watch it. For instance, I wanted to watch "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" but when I found out the ending, I knew it was not a movie I could emotionally take. Sometimes I do it to figure out when in a series I should stop watching, for another example; I read that "Misfits", the British teen show, got bad after one of the main characters leaves at the end of season two. So I decided to watch the first two seasons.

I am bad at accidentally spoiling things because spoilers don't bug me, if it's interesting I'll still watch it. Even if I know the ending, HOW the ending occurs is often the compelling part.
    Get off my lawn!
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    You can't be mad at the people who post spoilers when you know they post spoilers but you read anyway lol You're probably mad at your own curiosity.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • AobaAoba Posts: 33 Member
    It ruins it because instead of enjoyment, it becomes something where you just watch or read it think 'When does that happen?'.
    Or with a character who will die, you already know and remember it- so you don't easily become attached or get immersed; it lessens the impact.

Some people will randomly interject unwarranted spoilers into conversation or online where they don't belong,
    It gets hard to avoid for anything popular- even if what you're looking at is completely unrelated.
  • IstalriiIstalrii Posts: 76 Member
    I don't mind when it's something wide, like.. there's going to be a death in the next episode, something like that. But if it's specific, then yeah, it stops you getting attached like above said.
  • snarklessnarkles Posts: 244 Member
    I hate spoilers when I'm not looking for them. Sometimes I just can't help myself since I'm so impatient. But I remember not long before the seventh Harry Potter book came out, I was watching some video on YouTube related to the first book/movie and someone had written a comment listing all of the character deaths and watch pages they were on. I kind of read it without thinking and I'm still miffed about it.
    xSfr2Kh.jpg
  • DoritosConfirmedDoritosConfirmed Posts: 42 Member
    Spoilers can be good or bad. It depends on if it is a show/film that you were excited to see as well. If said spoiler came from a show that you weren't interested in, then maybe the spoiler could change your mind and make you go watch it. Or maybe it could make you hate a show even more.

It brings me flashbacks of Star Wars though. Ugh I tried so hard to not get anything spoiled. But it had happened and when I went to see the film I had the spoiler in the back of my mind the whole time. It can truly make your experience very unenjoyable
  • TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    edited February 2017
    Spoilers are the main reason I strictly cut myself off from social media, phone calls and text messages until I've caught up in whatever it is I'm reading/watching/playing that's trending across the world.

Folks are always inclined to blurt them out regardless - however it's not in my place to tell them they can't do that.

Fun Fact: I'm pretty sensitive about The Walking Dead spoilers. It's been a whole week and I still haven't seen the mid-season premiere and I've been somehow dodging spoilers left and right. Kinda like muscle memory now that I think about it. :lol:
    // take me back to 2018.
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    Usually, I avoid them. Except when I'm binge watching a show that ended years ago and I want to know when certain things (e.g. first kisses) are going to happen.
  • AnvilshippingAnvilshipping Posts: 240 Member
    I only spoil myself only if I know it's something that if I finally actually witness in the source material, it will be after a while and everyone knows how, say, Pokémon Sun and Moon went.