Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

V-Sync does not work in limiting my fps. Help!

I have just purchased a new gaming laptop and ran into the trouble with very high fps (~300 fps) with the laptop becoming very hot. This means I can't play the game for longer than an hour or so as I'm fearing it'll fry my graphics card.
As general info, I have a nvidia GTX960m, which I thought should work fine with this (unfortunately it is optimus, so I can't use adaptive v-sync).
I found people saying vsync works in limiting fps when it's forced on. So I tried turning it on for the sims 3 on ts3w.exe program setting, and when that didn't work, I forced it on in the the global setting. It still didn't work.
So when I looked around forums, it seems like forcing v-sync on the base game only doesn't seem to be the right way when you have all of the expansions and packs?
I have all of the sims 3 expansions, up to into the future, and all of the stuff packs, as well as 4 extra worlds (hidden springs, monte vista, dragon valley & roaring heights).

I guess what I'm asking is, should I have forced v-sync on other expansion instead of the base game (TS3W.exe)? Like force it on the TS3EP02.exe instead? Or maybe turn it on for every expansion pack? I'm really unsure about this because I'm rather amateur when it comes to this fps limiting/v-sync business. Any help for possible solution for this is very much appreciated.

Thanks heaps in advance!

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    You have to be in full screen for it to work

add the sims 3 game to your Nvidia control panel. Under 3d settings/program setings click browse to find the TS3w file

in your Nvidia control panel under 3d settings click add then browse. Then you will be clicking on a bunch of files to get to the TS3W file which runs the game. computer C, to program files X 86 file, to origin games file, to the sims 3 file, to the game file, to the bin file. In the bin file you will find the TS3W file. Add that to control panel and put vsync on adaptive. This game must have vsync on or it will run your fps way to high. Also remind yourself every time you have an nvidia card update make sure it does not reset your vsync before playing. Nvidia card updates will also reset your game launcher settings every time.
  • XanthebXantheb Posts: 5 New Member
    Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I have been playing in full screen mode. And I have already done the steps which you provided to me (one thing I forgot to mention, unfortunately my laptop runs on optimus so I can't have adaptive v-sync; thus I could only force it on).
    However, this doesn't seem to work (and I have recently updated the nvidia driver and v-sync was turned back on following the update).
    Do you happen to have anymore possible idea as to what could possibly the issue here?

Thanks heaps! :)
    edited November 2015
    Your welcome. Do you have the 1.69 new patch? Some others have stated this new patch is causing vsync not to work.

@chesterbigbird may know a way to force vsync.

@crinrict this is the second report I have seen about vsync not working if op has the new patch

• crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    Have you tried ts3.exe ? It runs on that now
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Xantheb, if you have a computer with dual graphics cards you have to turn on Vsync on both Intel and Nvidia control panel, otherwise it won't work. At least that's how it is for me.

I don't think you should play at all until you get this with vsync sorted, because there is a high risk of damaging your video card if you let it run with such high fps.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    @Xantheb
    Follow this tutorial on downloading Rivatuner and running D3Doverider
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Mmnxqx7Hw
    He is doing this for cyrsis 3.. however you can just make a sims 3 profile instead.
    Leave the D3Doverider minimized and running while playing. It will force vsync if you have ticked the force vsync option in the program.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Sorry for butting in here but hopefully this is better than starting a new thread? My question is about v-sync. I apologize for having a gaming laptop that's WAY over my head just so I can play sims. :)

I followed directions above by @phoebebebe13 and added Sims 3 to Nvidia control panel but it shows four options for v-sync. Not sure which one to select:

Use global settings (Use the 3D application setting)
    Use the 3D application setting
    Off
    On

The Intel Graphics control panel 3D settings for v-sync asks me to choose application settings or driver settings (not specific to S3) Which one should I choose?
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    For the Nvidia settings you want "On." The first two are the same thing, the 2nd two override the application setting.

For Intel, based on the description in the question mark icon opposite Vertical Sync, I'd go with Driver settings. Intel might not let you customize that setting per game. If it does, someone else will have to explain that; I don't know.
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    Sorry for butting in here but hopefully this is better than starting a new thread? My question is about v-sync. I apologize for having a gaming laptop that's WAY over my head just so I can play sims. :)

I followed directions above by @phoebebebe13 and added Sims 3 to Nvidia control panel but it shows four options for v-sync. Not sure which one to select:

Use global settings (Use the 3D application setting)
    Use the 3D application setting
    Off
    On

The Intel Graphics control panel 3D settings for v-sync asks me to choose application settings or driver settings (not specific to S3) Which one should I choose?

I use adaptive but if you dont have that option use on

This is the sims 4 but same applies for 3

aa03762d-0b8a-48ab-a6cf-9eca2c446f24_zpsr3imjd8n.png
    Thank you, @TreyNutz. I've set Nvidia to on and Intel to driver. :)

Thanks, @phoebebebe13 for the pic and the help. I'm not showing adaptive so I'll put it to on. I am showing an extra selection that doesn't show on your pic. It says:

Select the preferred graphics processor for this program:

Use global setting (Auto-select: NVIDIA GPU)
    High-performance NVIDIA processor
    Integrated graphics

It's set on the top one. Should I change it to the high performance one?
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    TI am showing an extra selection that doesn't show on your pic. It says:

Select the preferred graphics processor for this program:

Use global setting (Auto-select: NVIDIA GPU)
    High-performance NVIDIA processor
    Integrated graphics

It's set on the top one. Should I change it to the high performance one?

That selection is there only because you have integrated graphics (Intel) and a dedicated graphics card (Nvidia). The pic @phoebebebe13 is on a system that doesn't have integrated graphics, thus that option isn't present.

The first setting should be fine, but in some cases depending on the game it might be worth forcing the choice to Nivida. The "high-performance" is just marketing, there's no difference between that and when the auto-select chooses Nvidia. If you think your computer is using Nvidia for TS3, then you can leave it.
    Ok, thank you very much for your help @TreyNutz :)
  • SovazSovaz Posts: 51 Member
    I was directed to this thread by @phoebebebe13 . I had previously tried the Adaptive VSync method in my nVidia Control Panel but it didn't work because I was not doing it under the required conditions.

1. You must play in fullscreen (I was previously in Windowed... I prefer Windowed, but if fullscreen is what is needed for VSync to work, then no problem).
    2. If you have the 1.69 patch, you must Add ts3.exe, not ts3w.exe to the nVidia Control Panel Program 3D settings.
    3. I set my Vertical sync for ts3.exe to "On."

It appears to be working; my game is running at 60 FPS max. I'm so happy I don't have to re-purchase the game & expansions on Steam. Although in the future, I'm probably going to steer clear of Origin if given the choice.
    Sovaz wrote: »
    I was directed to this thread by @phoebebebe13 . I had previously tried the Adaptive VSync method in my nVidia Control Panel but it didn't work because I was not doing it under the required conditions.

1. You must play in fullscreen (I was previously in Windowed... I prefer Windowed, but if fullscreen is what is needed for VSync to work, then no problem).
    2. If you have the 1.69 patch, you must Add ts3.exe, not ts3w.exe to the nVidia Control Panel Program 3D settings.
    3. I set my Vertical sync for ts3.exe to "On."

It appears to be working; my game is running at 60 FPS max. I'm so happy I don't have to re-purchase the game & expansions on Steam. Although in the future, I'm probably going to steer clear of Origin if given the choice.

Glad you got it working ! It is usually the case of not working in windowed mode. you must be in full screen. There are some people that sometimes have to force vsync tough it does not happen often. This is even on the 1.67 patch.
  • SovazSovaz Posts: 51 Member
    @phoebebebe13 Now if I canjust get VSync to work on CAW... sadly there is no fullscreen CAW as far as I can tell. =(
    edited February 2016
    Sovaz wrote: »
    @phoebebebe13 Now if I canjust get VSync to work on CAW... sadly there is no fullscreen CAW as far as I can tell. =(

That I cant tell you with CAW on the 1.69 patch as far as vsync not working would have to ask @SimGuruDrake , @Nichaedemus or maybe @crinrict may know
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,653 Member
    edited March 2016
    I have the same problem and card as the OP. Is it okay to just turn vsync on in game options. Is that enough?
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    February11 wrote: »
    I have the same problem and card as the OP. Is it okay to just turn vsync on in game options. Is that enough?

The Sims 3 does not have a built-in V-Sync feature, so you'll need to use whichever's (AMD or NVidia) control panel to enable V-Sync.

The Sims 4 does, however, have a built-in V-Sync feature so you can enable that within game options for the Sims 4, but built-in V-Sync features do not work for other games, except their own game that has it built in.

For a "universal" V-Sync option, you'll need to enable it in whichever's (AMD or NVidia) control panel; games that do not have a built-in V-Sync feature usually needs to be added in manually, such as the Sims 3.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.

You have to be in full screen for it to work

add the sims 3 game to your Nvidia control panel. Under 3d settings/program setings click browse to find the TS3w file

in your Nvidia control panel under 3d settings click add then browse. Then you will be clicking on a bunch of files to get to the TS3W file which runs the game. computer C, to program files X 86 file, to origin games file, to the sims 3 file, to the game file, to the bin file. In the bin file you will find the TS3W file. Add that to control panel and put vsync on adaptive. This game must have vsync on or it will run your fps way to high. Also remind yourself every time you have an nvidia card update make sure it does not reset your vsync before playing. Nvidia card updates will also reset your game launcher settings every time.
    What I'm asking is, is in game vsync enough?
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited March 2016

A built-in V-Sync feature is nonexistent in the Sims 3, so you'll have to use whichever's (AMD or NVidia) control panel V-Sync.

However the built-in V-Sync feature will still be good enough of the game offers one.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.

The game does not have vsync using your control panel is a must
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2016
    I suspect that @February11 is asking if built in vsync on TS4 is sufficient just for TS4, as judging from their posting history they play both games. But apologies if I'm interpreting that wrong.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    I suspect that @February11 is asking if built in vsync on TS4 is sufficient just for TS4, as judging from their posting history they play both games. But apologies if I'm interpreting that wrong.

We already advised in TS4 section not to use in game vsync on TS4. It does not always work . Nvidia control panel is much better.
    edited March 2016
    igazor wrote: »

Yes you are correct.

I'm going around in circles on this. When I set "on" in my nvidia control panel, it doesn't alter anything. The OP in this thread has the same card as I have and has/had the same issue. I can only cap TS4 through the vsync in game.
    I haven't yet even looked at what's going on with TS3.

If vsync works in my game options, I'm hoping that is sufficiant, and it is keeping my fps capped at 60. The nvidia vsync on, and still they race away at up to 200 fps.

I think I'm a little bit over this, and I apologize to all of you that's been offering your help.

EDIT - I found this thread in search. Hadn't noticed it's in TS3 tech. Whoops! Double apologies *blushes*

Just ran TS3 and looked at the options. Is the screen refresh rate the same thing, as I've never looked at that before, and found it set on default, but I can change it to 40 or 60?

Sorry for finding another question.

I haven't looked at what the fps are doing yet, I thought I'd wait to see what answer I get for this question.
    Post edited by February11 on
    MLgj4Vx.png