Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAW crash - Attempted to read or write protected memory

So I finally got some motivation to work on a world, but of course, nothing likes to ever work on my computer, and caw isn't an exception. I wasn't sure if i should put this here or in the help center so I hope this is fine. anyways, this is what the error looks like:

Sims 3 Create A World Tool - Beta Has Crashed!
Exception information:
Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often a indication that other memory is corrupt.

I did both large address aware fixes and insufficient memory fixes, but neither did anything. (id link them, but it wont let me post links, sorry.)

any advice? I have windows 7 btw. specs can be given upon request.

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited November 2015
    Hi :)

When did this happen- While in CAW/EIG/Saving/Opening?

My advice is to save before you use the Terrain paints and right after. *Actually, Save after a few minutes or when you have something you really like- a mountain range, a beach just so....

This seems to happen to me when I paint a little too much or remove some paint a little too much. Which is only considered too much to the program. :)

• hirikotsuhirikotsu Posts: 88 Member
    i got the error while opening caw, i hadnt even gotten into caw when i got it!
    It makes me think it's your computer which can't handle it. What are the specs of your computer?
  • AppelKatAppelKat Posts: 8 New Member
    Rflong7, it's not his PC I think. Am having the same problem.
    I am on a Windows 10, NVIDIA 720 and Intel CORE i5. It doesn't work on my pc. It's a dekstop.
    It doesn't work on my laptop too, which is a Windows 10, NVIDIA 940 or lower (IDK) and Intel CORE i7. (The newest intel core, so IDK if it's i7, am dumb am sorry.)

My normal game works perfect, but the only thing that isn't working, is the Sims 3 Create a World. It gives the same message as it does on hirikotsu.

I really want to create a world that looks like the place I live myself.
    So please, do you know a fix?
    I already tried reïnstalling/redownloading too
    I tried "Run as administrator"
    I tried to set combality to windows 8 (DOESNT GO HIGHER)
    And all without good results.

(Sorry for my bad grammer, am Dutch so my English is really bad.)
    Hi @AppelKat :)

My reply was from awhile ago- before I knew about the update and it breaking CAW. Or at least I believe that's what's going on now for so many with the downloaded games.

Did your game update through Origin?

*Your English is perfect compared to my Dutch. :cookie:
  • MW_thesims3MW_thesims3 Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm also having this problem while opening CAW! Now I cant finish my project! :s
  • LefLadyLefLady Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm having the exact same problem! Driving me mad! Had a new game computer since last week.. windows 10.. downloaded my game (for the first time) with origin.. used to install with cd's.. cant seem to open caw without crashing.. does anyone please know a solution for this?

*dutch here as well ;) sorry for the english :)
    @LefLady wrote: »
    I'm having the exact same problem! Driving me mad! Had a new game computer since last week.. windows 10.. downloaded my game (for the first time) with origin.. used to install with cd's.. cant seem to open caw without crashing.. does anyone please know a solution for this?

*dutch here as well ;) sorry for the english :)

Maxis updated TS3 to only open with Origin and this new update is not compatible with CAW.

I am not sure if you will have to uninstall all of TS3 and then install from your disks- before 2012 and go Social. Don't let the game update but use the Cumulative update here- http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/175477.page

Then reinstall CAW- make sure to backup (save) all your CAW/Game stuff in your Documents folder. :)
  • meljayneheapmeljayneheap Posts: 2 New Member
    hi have had the sims 3 for a while now and love the idea of building my own world! so today I downloaded it, it did that fine and created a shortcut icon on my desktop. but when I try to start I just get a message , the same as hirikotsu post about corrupt memory, what could this mean and what can I do? thanks
  • ClayworldClayworld Posts: 1,106 Member
    What is your patch level? If you have the newest one, CAW will not work. See rflong's instructions, if you have a disc of the original game you probably can undo it. I've heard that you only have to reinstall the original game. There are more detailed instructions other places.
  • ImpaktImpakt Posts: 7 New Member
    edited January 2016
    Has anyone figured a solution or workaround? My base game and all my expansions are tied to origin and I don't have any physical copies. This is bothering me a lot because CAW is the only reason I got into this game.
  • pokefreak1991_22pokefreak1991_22 Posts: 1 New Member
    I too have only Origin and no physical disc. I created a world before patch 1.69 and installed a "beta" version of it in my game, but this beta version had no sidewalks/roads and transportation was awkward enough that I eventually decided that the beta was unplayable. Does anyone have any idea if there is a TS3 1.69-compatible patch in the works for CAW? I need to build a proper world and import it into my game!!
    No, no one knows and Maxis said they would look into it.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    There are still disks pre 2012 available at stores/online. You need to be sure which one you are buying. I've had several of my friends who got 'caught' in that origin update order disks and used those to back out of the update. Good luck!
  • srHz86srHz86 Posts: 54 Member
    Impakt wrote: »
    Has anyone figured a solution or workaround? My base game and all my expansions are tied to origin and I don't have any physical copies. This is bothering me a lot because CAW is the only reason I got into this game.

If you had the base game and all your expansions/stuff packs installed, and patched to 1.67 prior to being patched to 1.69, you can try what I did. I had a separate issue with a Windows 10 security update, and uninstalled then reinstalled everything only to realise I had the patch. I used system restore to go back to a point before I did this and I was back at 1.67.

I don't know if it only worked because of how I went about this, but it's worth a try if CAW is something you don't want to give up for the time being.

• ImpaktImpakt Posts: 7 New Member
    edited January 2016
    Unfortunately, I burnt that bridge since this is fresh install of W10. I re-downloaded the steam version and managed to get CAW running but I only I have up to Pets on steam. Not ideal since most of the resources I want to work with are from ST, SN, and IP which that got from origin. That's where I'm at right now while I track down an .iso of a retail copy to see if I can set up something better.
    Post edited by Impakt on
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    I got my S3 from Steam, CAW wouldn't work. I read the instructions for the registry thing were for other systems (unless I misread) and I don't want to risk it, so didn't try.

Uninstalled the Steam one. Now I see my Origin downloaded version of S3 didn't help CAW to work and it can't??? Argh.

Now S3 is uninstalled, I want to re-download with or without CAW usage, but I'll still be mad and am not sure where I want to DL it from, with my paid key of course. Sigh.... I can have it not fully patched, but still through Steam.

CAW was my #1 lure for S3 ... I still want to re-install regardless but I am really losing it here here, more than usual, arrrr...
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    Hello,
    There is update information on the Sims 3 General Discussion forum relating to the fix for CAW.
  • Chocoholiclady85Chocoholiclady85 Posts: 2 New Member
    KatyFernlily....Where exactly on the General Discussion forum? There is tons there and it would sure help to know exactly where the answers are located. Thanks!
    KatyFernlily....Where exactly on the General Discussion forum? There is tons there and it would sure help to know exactly where the answers are located. Thanks!

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/868889/update-to-sims-3-on-origin-caw/p1
  • SimmerFoxSimmerFox Posts: 1 New Member
    I tried to uninstall sims 3 from origin and redownload it from a spare Sims 3 disk, I got from a Showtime case. Then I didn't download any patches, Custom Content, Store Items, or Expansions.

I'm still getting the same "Attempted to read or protected memory" message, and now, his new friend; the "The Sims 3 Game Data not found".

I'm losing hope. I haven't been able to use CAW for weeks. My South American city theme is doomed. :(
  • dinolulu123dinolulu123 Posts: 2 New Member
    I was having trouble and getting the same error message! I don't know if this helps everyone, but I was able to find a workaround by using this direct download link ( lvlt.thesims.com//content/global/downloads/caw/ts3caw.exe ) and typing it longform into the search bar, which in my case prompted the download to start. The link others suggest seems to download the "world tool" installation file, when what you really need is the "ts3caw" file. The download button on EA's official CAW tool website seems either unresponsive or completely broken (typical), so hopefully you can use this file to do a clean reinstall and start making some worlds! I recommend using a program like Ccleaner to repair any registry issues and clean up fragmented files after you uninstall the non-working version.
  • dinolulu123dinolulu123 Posts: 2 New Member
    Another important note, you need to be on the official sims 3 CAW download website before you attempt to download from the link above, as searching it via right click won't work. So just visit ( https://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/world ) and click agree to the TOS, then select the button that matches your game version (you can see this in the launcher menu in the lower left corner). You will want to copy/paste the executable (.exe) link that I mentioned above, then hit enter. This will manually begin the download!
  • Luna_SmitLuna_Smit Posts: 1 New Member
    I know I'm quite late on this but I'm having the same problem/ error message sadly! The weird thing is I've had caw in the past (like 6 months ago) before I had te reset my pc after it crashed. The button on the offcial website is still irresponsive so I installed it trough the link I found on the page source (view-source:https://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/world) wich worked beside the fact that it crashes every time I try to open it with the same error message like the one at the top. Is someone could help me out that would be great :)
  • DontBugMe722DontBugMe722 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @dinolulu123 said:
    > Another important note, you need to be on the official sims 3 CAW download website before you attempt to download from the link above, as searching it via right click won't work. So just visit ( https://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/world ) and click agree to the TOS, then select the button that matches your game version (you can see this in the launcher menu in the lower left corner). You will want to copy/paste the executable (.exe) link that I mentioned above, then hit enter. This will manually begin the download!

That link does not load the CAW. It opens a blank pop-up and nothing happens. This link will download - https://thesimscatalog.com/sims3/downloads/worlds/create-a-world-download/, but then I get the same crashing message that has been reported since 2016. VERY FRUSTRATED!