Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Small update coming to the PC version of The Sims 3

Comments

• Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    On the System Restore question, I keep seeing folks suggesting that and I wish they would stop ( @android00b7 -- not you, I know you only tried that out of desperation). System Restore isn't meant to revert your computer to the entire state it was in at a prior time; that's what ghosted disk images would be for, an entirely different process. System Restore only reverts system files, those related to Windows and its associated processes. What happens is that some but not all TS3 files (and potentially those of other programs) get caught up in in the restore process and the player is left with a mismatched hodgepodge of a game that cannot be launched at all. Everyone I know who has tried this throughout the game's history has had to uninstall everything, clean their Registry, and start from scratch.

Which, I'm afraid, if one doesn't have a pre-Sept 2012 disc to work with, looks like it involves Origin and this new patch.

There is a restore point on Windows that can be activated to create a point before the download/software install. This is Not system restore it is a restore point. What it does is create a point where one can effectively remove the changes an installation service may create if it turns out badly. I use it often to create restore points and have used it a couple times to remove software that did not play nice with older software. I do not know if this process is available on Mac or for Win 10, but I do not it is available for Win 7.

I believe some folks are confusing the processes. System Restore restores OS files and may remove driver updates; it does not change application software or personal data. The restore points, I think they are called image restores now, will restore the personal files to the state they were in before the restore point.
  • SummerskydreamerSummerskydreamer Posts: 1,681 Member
    Was wondering since alot of player can not play their games any more is if EA has fixed the patch so they can start playing again. If they have not an players are still unable to play their game i may never install this patch.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Was wondering since alot of player can not play their games any more is if EA has fixed the patch so they can start playing again. If they have not an players are still unable to play their game i may never install this patch.

If you can avoid it I don't currently see any reason to ever install it.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
    BSIRegina wrote: »

Well my friend that has Sugar Legacy Stables up dated and i trust her cc for horse.Also if everyone that has cc if they have updated then won't our cc not work any more that we already have?
    BSIRegina wrote: »

Well my friend that has Sugar Legacy Stables up dated and i trust her cc for horse.Also if everyone that has cc if they have updated then won't our cc not work any more that we already have?

If by CC you mean actual custom content like clothing, hair, furniture, etc. it SHOULD work just fine. As for mods, everything that's not a core mod (again) should work. They ran into problems with a couple of mods at NRAAS but those have both been updated.
  • Hinu_Kyzah17Hinu_Kyzah17 Posts: 10 New Member
    > @blmbd1 said:
    > Can someone please help me? I have lots of expansion packs and have never had a problem with loading in the sims 3, however since I blindly did the update my game now doesn't load and is jumpy and lags when playing it. This is on the map, create a sim and in game. It says to install the packs in the launcher but when I do that it just shows what games I have in the store. All of the packs are also ticked. Is there any way to fix it? I'd like to still use all my packs :(

this is the exact same problem i have ?!
    Ok here is anouther question what if you only had one hard disk say like pets and the rest are installed thru Origin? Would it make a difference to install or not install this patch?
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    edited November 2015
    I just want to say a few things.

Why, EA? WHY?! The game didn't need another patch, but you decided to give it one anyway. And what does it do? IT BREAKS THE GAME ENTIRELY! You can't install store content, no CAW, it runs even SLOWER somehow, and just makes the game plum unplayable.

Second, are you this desperate for people to buy The Sims 4 and stick with it, EA? News flash: PEOPLE HATE THE GAME FOR WHAT YOU DID TO IT AND WHAT YOU TOOK OUT! LEARN FROM YOUR PLUM MISTAKES, OR ELSE PEOPLE WILL STRAIGHT UP BOYCOTT YOU! YOU ALWAYS DO THIS TYPE OF PLUM! JUST. PLUM. STOP! YOU'RE FAILING AS A WHOLE COMPANY! GET THAT INTO YOUR SKULLS!

Rant over.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    SimFan298 wrote: »

Why, EA? WHY?! The game didn't need another patch, but you decided to give it one anyway. And what does it do? IT BREAKS THE GAME ENTIRELY! You can't install store content, no CAW, it runs even SLOWER somehow, and just makes the game plum unplayable.

Second, are you this desperate for people to buy The Sims 4 and stick with it, EA? News flash: PEOPLE HATE THE GAME FOR WHAT YOU DID TO IT AND WHAT YOU TOOK OUT! LEARN FROM YOUR PLUM MISTAKES, OR ELSE PEOPLE WILL STRAIGHT UP BOYCOTT YOU! YOU ALWAYS DO THIS TYPE OF PLUM! JUST. PLUM. STOP! YOU'RE FAILING AS A WHOLE COMPANY! GET THAT INTO YOUR SKULLS!

Rant over.
    Seems that way doesn't it? Especially with that interview about wanting Simmers to break up with the Sims 3. Breaking a game seems like a good way to go about it. But joke is on them, the Sims 1 and 2 still works. But I really do hope they don't leave the Sims 3 broken and honestly they need to fix some old bugs if it is going to take awhile to fix anyways. It is the least they could do for Simmers. But yes that conspiracy theory I admit has crossed my mind before.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • crockatailcrockatail Posts: 312 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

Rant over.
    Seems that way doesn't it? Especially with that interview about wanting Simmers to break up with the Sims 3. Breaking a game seems like a good way to go about it. But joke is on them, the Sims 1 and 2 still works. But I really do hope they don't leave the Sims 3 broken and honestly they need to fix some old bugs if it is going to take awhile to fix anyways. It is the least they could do for Simmers. But yes that conspiracy theory I admit has crossed my mind before.

> Don't forget Sims Life Stories and Sims Castaways Stories are still work as well. And I feel this is what this update for the Sims 3 Launcher is for to break the Sims 3 game to force those players who left Sims 4 and went back to the older Sims games. Since I'd uninstalled Origin from my pc,
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member

Rant over.

I am not experiencing any issues. Everything is fine. o:)

I don't use Create-A-World however. I'll see if I have issues with it soon.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    crockatail wrote: »
    > Don't forget Sims Life Stories and Sims Castaways Stories are still work as well. And I feel this is what this update for the Sims 3 Launcher is for to break the Sims 3 game to force those players who left Sims 4 and went back to the older Sims games. Since I'd uninstalled Origin from my pc,
    True and the Sims Pet Stories. Sims Castaway stories was actually my favorite side game. I didn't get a chance to play any of the MySims games or the Urbz game. So there are a lot of side games to play too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    I did go ahead and installed it i use Origin anyway put if after a few days or weeks if i find i am having more trouble it is back to patch 1.67 with the super patch.I was able to play and there was no more lag than usual on my games.So what i did was i took out the whole sims3 folder put it on my desk top.I installed the 1.69 patch deleated the new sims3 folder and put my old one back in. That way i knew i had everything there.I do not use caw so that is not a prob.I only have a few eps and one stuff pack so that may have helped not sure.
  • mothersuperior2mothersuperior2 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Having seen the number of new members (long-term players) on this thread since the confounded game update, makes me wonder if that was really the purpose of the 'small update'.

Maybe EA/Origin were wondering how many TS3 players were quietly enjoying their games, without them?

Now they know! >:)

Money-making tip (for EA); long-term Simmers love the older games. There are probably more players of Sims, TS2 and TS3 combined, than there are Simmers who only play TS4. TS3 Simmers still spend money in The Store. It's not rocket science.

Don't you want to make money?
    I have a weird sense of humour. If it doesn't come across, please forgive me in advance.

Are Kevin's undergarments lurking in a wishlist near you?

I own the Store 5584.gifMy Page
    HOW?
    Cascades
    Daily Deals
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I did go ahead and installed it i use Origin anyway put if after a few days or weeks if i find i am having more trouble it is back to patch 1.67 with the super patch.I was able to play and there was no more lag than usual on my games.So what i did was i took out the whole sims3 folder put it on my desk top.I installed the 1.69 patch deleated the new sims3 folder and put my old one back in. That way i knew i had everything there.I do not use caw so that is not a prob.I only have a few eps and one stuff pack so that may have helped not sure.
    Just FYI in case this becomes an issue eventually, you cannot use the 1.67 SuperPatch to downpatch from 1.69 back to 1.67. You would have to uninstall and reinstall the base game from a pre-Sept 2012 base game disc in order to accomplish that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • wwheavenupwwheavenup Posts: 6 New Member
    I have been playing my game just fine with all EP's. Since the update my game has become jumpy and lags so badly it is unbearable to play. Very disappointed in this update and hope it can be rectified soon! I just started playing last year and I've tied up a lot of money in this game as I know many others have too! :/
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I hope that everyone that is having trouble is not only contacting tech support, but customer services as well. I know @SimGuruDrake said they are looking into it, but apparently silence is still golden at EA since not a one has said anything at all that I have seen other than other simmers trying to help each other out. They have not put up a reversal for it for either for those people that have had CAW ruined by updating. Seems like all they know how to do is glitch and bug at EA. :(
  • GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    Thanks to everyone who has been sharing information and advice in this thread! I feel so bad for everyone having problems with their games :(

I am very anxious to avoid the patch. I know about going into Origin in offline mode to turn off automatic updates, but can I just check that it is okay to open my launcher? I usually bypass it, but I'll eventually have to use it to upload some stuff to the exchange. Thanks!

You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    GreenCats wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who has been sharing information and advice in this thread! I feel so bad for everyone having problems with their games :(

I am very anxious to avoid the patch. I know about going into Origin in offline mode to turn off automatic updates, but can I just check that it is okay to open my launcher? I usually bypass it, but I'll eventually have to use it to upload some stuff to the exchange. Thanks!

I've opened my launcher safely a few times now.

I have automatic updates turned off.

You might like to disconnect from the internet the first time you do launch the launcher to make sure you have auto updates of the game turned off.
    GreenCats wrote: »

This update doesn't affect the launcher, just Origin and I've since used my launcher without the update but not for uploading to the Exchange.
  • sakuratiramisusakuratiramisu Posts: 6 New Member
    Oh my gosh.

I am SO THANKFUL I found this thread. Thought it was only me facing a problem!

I only recently bought and downloaded Sims 3 and it has only been less than a month of playing when I updated Origin and now I can't launch the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The launcher appears and says, "Origin is required to play the game. Please install Origin and relaunch the game. If Origin is already running, please contact customer support."

HELP! I tried uninstalling and re-installing but nothing helps!!! I am not a very technical person so reading very technical solutions give me a headache!!
    Oh my gosh.

I am SO THANKFUL I found this thread. Thought it was only me facing a problem!

I only recently bought and downloaded Sims 3 and it has only been less than a month of playing when I updated Origin and now I can't launch the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The launcher appears and says, "Origin is required to play the game. Please install Origin and relaunch the game. If Origin is already running, please contact customer support."

HELP! I tried uninstalling and re-installing but nothing helps!!! I am not a very technical person so reading very technical solutions give me a headache!!

Try posting this in the Sims 3 Technical thread if you don't get an answer soon.

It is found under the Sims 3 Help Center heading - or you could click this link
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/technical-discussions-en

It is where people go to see if anyone else needs help.

Also, there is a sticky at the top of that forum. One of the SimGurus has asked if we'd post our problems there as they are going to check that thread to see what issues have been created by the update.

I have fortunately been able to avoid it as I have an old disk version of Sims 3 base game. That is actually one of the fixes being suggested is to get onto Amazon or some place like that and buy a disk version of the base game from 2009 as anything after Sept 2012 will be tied to Origin anyway.
  • GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    Thanks, @Karritz and @BSIRegina ! That's really helpful to know.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • TheSimsFan96TheSimsFan96 Posts: 102 Member
    edited November 2015
    It's really good to know about this whole new update. A quick question, I never use Origin and am playing with the version of The Sims 3 before this patch and haven't played The Sims 4 in a while. Is there any way I can play The Sims 4 later on without it auto-updating The Sims 3 so I can avoid the patch? Thanks!
    It's really good to know about this whole new update. A quick question, I never use Origin and am playing with the version of The Sims 3 before this patch and haven't played The Sims 4 in a while. Is there any way I can play The Sims 4 later on without it auto-updating The Sims 3 so I can avoid the patch? Thanks!

Make sure you have auto update for games turned off in Origin. The patch comes through Origin.

If you don't know if you already have auto update for games turned off, disconnect from the internet and launch Origin and check and make sure it is turned off.

You can close the offer for the patch in the Sims 3 game by closing it by clicking the x in the top right corner of it.

I haven't launched Origin since the patch was released. I don't currently feel much like playing any of the other EA games I've got because I don't want anything to mess up my Sims 3 game.

You can download Patch 1.67 master patch from a sticky near the top of the Sims 3 Technical Forum

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top