Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Uresh - Persian inspired Ziggurat world

Hi all!

I have built a ziggurat shaped city which has been inspired by various Persian cities. It is medieval and has no roads. For more info and downloads, please go here:

Uresh

screenshot-90.jpg?w=588
screenshot-2.jpg
screenshot-119.jpg
screenshot-97.jpg
screenshot-94.jpg
screenshot-88.jpg
screenshot-54.jpg
screenshot-52.jpg
screenshot-47.jpg
screenshot-30.jpg
screenshot-28.jpg
screenshot-25.jpg
screenshot-201.jpg
screenshot-22.jpg
screenshot.jpg
screenshot-5.jpg
screenshot-3.jpg
screenshot-6.jpg

Comments

• StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    Wow! The scale of things in your world is amazing.
    The Sphinx is a really big object but in your ziggurat they appear tiny.
    Ingenious use of terrain paint. :)
    stellatorontosims.tumblr.com
  • anetherronanetherron Posts: 605 Member
    edited November 2015
    Hey Stella! How's things? :). And thank you - I do like to build big. Epic quests are my thing and they tend to need big worlds. Thank you for the compliments, you're sweet :). I had fun building this (mostly - the walls were an epic pain in the derriere!) and am currently having a load of fun playing in it. I kept getting distracted while I was populating it 'cause I kept wanting to play LOL.
  • Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited November 2015
    I love it! So creative. The way you decorated and laid things out is awesome.
  • KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,463 Member
    Well now this is interesting! I love to explore new worlds and this one will definitely be next on my list!
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    What an amazing-looking world, very authentic in look and feel. (I can taste the date fruit just looking at those pics!)
    EiFlric.png
    Thank you for the positive comments guys, they are much appreciated :) .
    I wonder if you guys can help? My game on this world has just ground to a halt from lag. I've tried a Maxis world and the game plays fine so it must be this world. I've gone over it with a fine tooth comb and found someone route failing because of a tree about a mile away from him! Other than that I can find absolutely no-one route failing. I've deleted the one lot I think could possibly cause problems (the royal graveyard) - but still no joy. Before this my simmies were happily running to and fro on the roads like so many happy ants. Is that maybe the problem, too much movement? Or perhaps the multiple levels of the world itself is causing routing issues? No idea! If anyone is playing this world, please could you test it and let me know? I'd be most appreciative. Thank you!
    edited November 2015
    Is that maybe the problem, too much movement? Or perhaps the multiple levels of the world itself is causing routing issues?

Most of the time, when there's severe lag, it's due to a routing problem. Here's how I generally troubleshoot:

1. Double check all your routing paint. Make sure you didn't paint under bridges by mistake (if you have any), block off key areas or leave holes.
    2. If you have bridges, check to see if sims aren't getting stuck on them.
    3. Make sure that sims are able to access each lot without any problem. To see if they can, pick a household, then take a sim, pick a lot, and select "send to...". If the sims starts to walk out the door, that means that the lot is fine and there aren't any routing issues. If the sim stamps his feet and complains he can't go, then that lot has a routing problem and you have to figure out why. Keep doing this for each and every one of your lots.

Multiple levels shouldn't cause any problems if you lay down routing paint correctly and ensure that all the sims can easily travel back and forth between all of your lots.

EDITED TO ADD: Come to think of it, I can't help wonder if not having any roads might also cause some lag issues. I've never built a roadless city, so maybe someone who can can give you some insight into that.
    EiFlric.png
    edited November 2015
    Hi ts1depot - thank you, I had a good look at it and found what was going on. I found two really ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ. (another thing that's ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ. - the fact that I have to spell this word out or have it turned to plum! Plumming plum plum plummity plum moderators! Grrrrrrr.........) routing traps ('oh no! That tree half a mile from me is preventing me from leaving the lot!!!') and deleted the one lot I thought might cause problems in the future. Still no joy though. Then I opened the world up and went through my routing in excruciating detail - couldn't find a single broken route. I got a brainspark then and thought it might actually be all this to-ing and fro-ing my simmies were doing between the city and the town causing route-calculation lag, so I changed all the lots I could get away with to 'no visitors allowed'. That made a huge difference! The simmies all went home, and once they were on their way the lag lessened considerably. But then the big brainwave - I turned off AVG temporarily. Wow! What a difference! AVG pretty much killed my game. So, I uninstalled it and installed Avast instead, which is apparently a lot more Sims-friendly. I'm going to see if that made much of a difference later today.

I will agree with you on one thing though - not having roads does make a bit of a routing difference - not to non-controlled sims (they go where they want to) but to your controlled sims. If I try to send a sim from one side of the world to the other (I've noticed this in many road-free worlds) they will route-fail. You have to break the journey up into chunks. Apart from that (and the fact that you don't get service NPC's and school buses, so shouldn't place schools - else your poor kids are constantly in trouble for bunking off LOL), only having paths is fine. Even having no paths is fine, provided the world isn't too big.

All the worlds I build are pretty much exclusively road-free. I would definitely recommend it in a period/fantasy world. Although I tend to double up on paths and place frequent connecting intersections between both paths now - just to provide more routes.

I've saved the fixed world and am uploading the files now :).

If, however, anyone still finds route-fail spots or lag issues, please let me know?
    edited November 2015
    Meet Gaspode.

screenshot-471.jpg

A very little doggy in a very large city. He lives with his cash-disadvantaged humans on a dump near the cattle yards (you can actually hear the cows mooing all the time - it's so realistic! It's a shame the sims doesn't have smell-o-vision. Can you imagine all the doggy-delightful pongs? :P)

screenshot-12.jpg

He's just finished an epic 4 day journey from here...

here.jpg

to here...

here2.jpg

His noble mission? To get his little leg over with Misty, the Shah's prize hound.

screenshot-491.jpg

Along his travels he's made some interesting friends (what a big... dog??),

screenshot-251.jpg

made enemies,

screenshot-60.jpg

wormed his way into the hearts and homes of many of the city's softhearted inhabitants,

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot-61.jpg

had grand adventures

screenshot-241.jpg

screenshot-26.jpg

The perfect place for a discerning dog of taste to sleep...

screenshot-291.jpg

LOL, even his dreams are posh!

screenshot-301.jpg

screenshot-331.jpg

screenshot-36.jpg

That is a VERY steep hill for such a tiny pup.

screenshot-221.jpg

Better get yourself inside... It's a rough night.

screenshot-10.jpg

screenshot-311.jpg

screenshot-591.jpg

screenshot-691.jpg

screenshot-701.jpg

screenshot-71.jpg

and finally made it to Misty... ah Misty.

screenshot-521.jpg

LOL - Shadow does NOT look amused. He knows what you're up to with his wife!

screenshot-581.jpg

But, with a little charm and romance... (You're going to need a stepladder, mate!)

screenshot-501.jpg

Awwww! It's a mini-Gaspode!

screenshot-14.jpg

Stick with me kid, I'll show you the world...

screenshot-571.jpg

But, all adventures come to an end and Gaspode hit the road back home (don't worry, he'll visit. :smile: )

screenshot-40.jpg

We're on the home-stretch!

screenshot-43.jpg

Ahhh... home, smelly home...

screenshot-441.jpg

I've missed you mate!

screenshot-46.jpg

It doesn't get much better than this...

screenshot-481.jpg

Post edited by anetherron on
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Gaspode's great adventure was wonderful.
    Gaspode's great adventure was wonderful.

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it - Gaspode certainly did! ;P
    @anetherron: I'm glad you were able to fix your routing issues. I know how frustrating it can be to spend so much time and effort on a world and have it suddenly lag something awful.
    EiFlric.png
    Definitely. Road-free builds do seem to be something we are all still learning. Rewarding though :D
  • deadhaus123deadhaus123 Posts: 475 Member
    very nice!
    [img][/img]UjBiOYQ.jpg
  • Amir_PMRAmir_PMR Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi all!
    Ooo I'm persian myself and the town's position looks like it's in the south of the country with it's very very very and trust me veeeery old connected walls!
    It looks kind of like The burned city (Shahreh Sookhteh) with it's ancient cool things! This town is awesome dude! Good luck
    Thank you Amir_PMR, I'm glad you like it, it was a labour of love :)