Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can Sims 2 be played on a new HP Pavilion w/ Windows 10?

autumnskyautumnsky Posts: 4 New Member
Hi everyone. I've never played the Sims, but just got interested in it recently. I also bought a brand new laptop recently, and have seen posts on other sites about occasional problems with people trying to run the Sims 2 using Windows 10, so I thought I'd see if any of you guys have had trouble. (I'd like to find out before I get on eBay and buy a copy) : )

Thanks!
Tracy

Comments

• may151997may151997 Posts: 209 Member
    Yes, I'm sure it will run Sims 2 just fine. I use a old-ish HP laptop with Windows 7 and Intel HD Graphics. I have no lag with all the expansions.
  • Summerbear5Summerbear5 Posts: 643 Member
    edited October 2015
    @autumnsky it will run but you'll have to tweak it.

EDIT: I have a Windows 10 comp and running perfectly but I had to do some tweaks.
    angrycat.gif
  • autumnskyautumnsky Posts: 4 New Member
    Thanks you guys. :) btw--Summerbear, what kid of tweaks did you have to do? Just curious so I'll have the ideas with me after I get the game. (just in case) Thanks!
    Me again. Not sure if it's okay on this forum to start a new thread for a different question, or if I should keep all of MY own questions and stuff in this one section? Anyway--please let me know--thanks!

Okay, yet another question. I've seen that there is a "newer" dvd version of Sims 2 on eBay, and I'm wondering how different it is from the original, as well as if the characters age and die in both versions? I'm hoping once I get the game and get into it, that I'll somehow find a code or something to keep my character alive, but being a newbie, I have no idea. :)

Anyway, thanks for your help again everyone!
    Tracy
    The only difference between to CD version and DVD version of the game is the CD version is more discs while the DVD version is 1 disc and you have to have a DVD player on your computer in order to install. The actual game is identical.
    From my understanding the only way to install Sims 2 onto a Windows 8 or 10 computer is the new Origin version. If you have your original CD code of The Sims you can contact EA Games with your code and explain to them that you've upgraded to a Windows 10 computer and need the Origin version.
    A cheat code to keep your Sims alive would be MaxMotives. Just open the cheat console but hitting ctrl shift c on your keyboard and type MaxMotives.
    angrycat.gif
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I can confirm that I'm able to play sims 2 on my hubby's HP with windows 10 installed.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
    @autumnsky I sent you a private message about the tweak.
    angrycat.gif
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited October 2015
    @autumnsky there is a potion/water cooler full of potion you can buy with your aspiration reward points that will actually give back your days in a cycle. (If you are an adult nearing elderhood, drinking potion from it can give you back some of your days and bring you closer to the beginning of adulthood and farther away from elderhood. that is, if you'd rather not cheat and disable aging :D

Also, its perfectly acceptable to create new threads for new topics!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
    Thanks so much you guys! I appreciate the help!! :)
  • Incu1031Incu1031 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey Summerbear, I have windows 10 and I'm having the same problems with the slow catalog and pausing in the game when clicking on sims. What kind of tweaks did you have to do? Any help would be great thank you!
  • NOVEMBER_11SARAHNOVEMBER_11SARAH Posts: 767 Member
    Sorry to ask on your thread but since I needed to know a similar question I didn't see the point of making a new topic. I'm about to buy a new computer as well with windows 10, does anyone know if the free Origin copy will work on it?
    New Zealand!!!
    I have dyslexia so my grammar sucks.
    Sim Story:
    https://smfblog11.wordpress.com/
    Simblr:
    http://thestrangenessofstrangetown.tumblr.com/
    @Incu1031 I'll message you.
    angrycat.gif
  • thankucatgodthankucatgod Posts: 398 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    @autumnsky there is a potion/water cooler full of potion you can buy with your aspiration reward points that will actually give back your days in a cycle. (If you are an adult nearing elderhood, drinking potion from it can give you back some of your days and bring you closer to the beginning of adulthood and farther away from elderhood. that is, if you'd rather not cheat and disable aging :D

Also, its perfectly acceptable to create new threads for new topics!

Keep in mind that if you're below the gold aspiration when you use this, your sim could lose a few valuable days rather than gain them. :p
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited November 2015
    The video shows that The Sims 2 (along with TS3 and TS4) will run on Windows 10. However, most newer systems have graphical glitches as you can see in the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVXx59QQoLA

A side note though, I tried to run The Sims Complete Collection and it didn't work.

Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Sorry to ask on your thread but since I needed to know a similar question I didn't see the point of making a new topic. I'm about to buy a new computer as well with windows 10, does anyone know if the free Origin copy will work on it?

Yes the sims 2 UC works on windows 10 . I just tested it on a brand new windows 10 computer
  • PinkmewPinkmew Posts: 1 New Member
    I cannot install Sims 2 expansion packs on windows 10 , brand new h p computer ?Installed sims 2 and that does not work ?
  • Sapphire268Sapphire268 Posts: 66 Member
    > @Pinkmew said:
    > I cannot install Sims 2 expansion packs on windows 10 , brand new h p computer ?Installed sims 2 and that does not work ?

Try running it in compatibility mode, search run programs in your search bar and a program called 'Run programs made for previous versions of Windows' will appear. Click on it, and it'll detect and scan your old programs, and bring up a list. If it doesn't, you can click the option to select a different file and have it be scanned. It'll say the recommended version of Windows to emulate and run it with, or you can choose your own and then test the program. If it works, it works, and if it doesn't, you can try again with different versions of Windows. I know people have had success with TS1 and this method, not sure about TS2 though, but it should work.

Best of luck!
  • IrissIriss Posts: 1 New Member
    I've installed Sims 2 and a couple of extensions packs on my windows 10 laptop. It used to work fine (bit laggy, but it worked), but today i tried to play, and then i got a pop-up message, saying that the program isn't compatible, and i have to upgrade my system to windows 98, 2000 or higher :sweat: Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it? I already tried running it in a different compatability mode.
  • SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    Did you try deleting the Groups.cache file in the my docs/ea games/the sims 2 folder?
  • SopranoVixenSopranoVixen Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi guys - thank you so much for the tips. I can finally play the game again and this is all I've been wanting this year :* <3
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Yes. That's what I had before this computer: my university disc was so old that my disc drive didn't recognize it, so I got the UC, which ran fine.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]