Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

El Capitan and The Sims 3

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    AlexApfel wrote: »
    Thanks for your answers! :)
    I give it a try and will give you feedback. Hopefully it works, because it would be a great pity if I couldn't use Late Night and Ambitions.

@BluebellFlora Haha, nice coincidence! I already tried to edit the GraphicsCards.sgr, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. Do I really have to add “AMD Radeon HD 8800M Series” to the file? Because according to the AMD Website is my graphics card from the AMD Radeon R9 M300 Series?

That worked for the R9 M2xx series. I don't know what the line would be for the M300 series but I think as it is an upgraded version of the same series it may work. I linked to it for illustrative reasons and because I rely on those with affected Macs to post the specific lines that work for them so it can help others :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    @AlexApfel Yes, I would. That is to insure that the previous game installed correctly.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • AlexApfelAlexApfel Posts: 5 New Member

Hey Guys,
    after endless tries I gave up.
    I downloaded Parallels Desktop now and upgraded my RAM. Now it works perfectly! Very fast and no graphic bugs. Even though I run nearly all EP's.

But thank you all for your help anyway!
    Have a nice day!
    That's probably the best way to go.
  • magratheanmagrathean Posts: 18 New Member
    Hello.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed Mac help for TS3. Your help has been really useful for me in the past. :smile:

Unfortunately, I've been having the "Unknown error" problem since El Capitan (I now have Sierra, but nothing at all has changed concerning my TS3 problems). I've done the super-patch thing, and I've deleted and reinstalled TS3 + expansion packs. Nothing works. What can I do?

Thanks in advance.
    First of all, what kind of Mac do you have. We can't help you if we don't know what you play on. :) You can find the information under the Apple Logo in the left hand corner of your screen.
    Sorry!

It's a mid-2014 15-in MacBook Pro with Retina display. The processor is a 2.2-GHz i7. I've got 16 GB of RAM. My OS is crrently 10.12.0, but it's been happening since 10.11(.3?).

Thanks!
    Did you install any additional EP/SPs before it stopped working? Because your Mac has an integrated Intel Iris Pro 5200 graphics chip which is not compatible with the Sims 3. It can however sometimes work with the base game and a few specific packs.
    apple-signature.png
    I'm pretty sure it's an El Capitan issue. The problems started when I upgraded the OS. I have Late Night, Pets and Ambitions. I also have University Life, but haven't tested that EP because I bought it after upgrading to El Capitan, on which I've never been able to play (also, I uninstalled everything, reinstalled everything except UL and tried to play, which resulted in the same error). I don't have any SPs.
    What you mentioned about the graphics card might explain some of the problems I used to have with TS3 back when it at least ran on my Mac, though. :)
    Does anyone know of anything I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
    edited October 2016
    You can try editing your Graphics card settings as mentioned in one of the threads on this forum. What specifically is the problem? Does the game start up and then doesn't run? Are you getting a disk error?
    I'm getting that error.

Here's what I did:
    • I uninstalled everything again and followed the instructions on the other threads here to delete all residual files. Then I reinstalled the base game and tried it. It seems to run fine (I got to the launcher, where it asked me to update; I didn't try running the actual game, but at least I didn't get the error anymore).
    • I installed Ambitions and running the game; that produced the error above. Uninstalling Ambitions using the uninstaller that comes with the game fixed that; I didn't even have to delete the residual files.
    • I installed Late Night, which I've successfully played in the past (before El Capitan), and got the same result as with Ambitions.
    • I patched the base game using the super-patcher. The game still ran (again, I only got to the launcher window).
    • I installed Pets, which I've also successfully played in the past (along with LN; I never tried Pets by itself), after the super-patch thing was complete. I got to the launcher window successfully.
    • I installed University Life, which I'd never tried before, and got to the launcher window.
    • I reinstalled Ambitions and got the same error as before.
    • I uninstalled Ambitions and installed LN. This resulted in the same error.
    All of this was done using Origin. I don't have any game discs (although I originally bought the base game, Ambitions, LN and Pets as discs and only later added them to my Origin account).

I noticed that when I installed LN and Ambitions I didn't get aliases for those expansion packs in my TS3 folder (I do get them for UL and Pets):

Why could this be?
    It won't let me post images. Here are the images I wanted to post:

dnd-cienciasunam.webs.com/ss.jpg
    dnd-cienciasunam.webs.com/ss2.png
    Ok, here's what I'd do. Uninstall everything again. Sorry, but what I'm going advise requires this. Next install Base Game only and patch with the Super Patch application. Do not use the Launcher to install the Super Patch. Next install one by one any EPs and SPs you own in the following order:

World Adventures (this has a separate patch that can be applied using the Launcher and should be)
    High End Loft
    Ambitions
    Fast Lane
    Late Night
    Outdoor Living (last EP/SP to have a separate patch. All the other above it had the separate patches and it's ok to do that you and you should)
    Generations
    Town Life
    Pets
    Master Suite
    ShowTime
    Katy Perry Sweet Treats
    Diesel
    Supernatural
    Seasons
    70's, 80's, 90's
    University
    Island Paradise
    Movie Stuff
    Into the Future

I know you don't own all of these, but install the games in release order and it allows the game to build better on itself. Any games between WA and Outdoor Living had a separate patch before they started doing the Super Patches. It may tell you the game is a different version, but ignore the message and continue patching. Between adding each game, start your game up and make sure you can still get to the Launcher and start up the game. If so, then everything is installed correctly and you can quit out and install the next item.
    Late Night and Ambitions will not probably run on your Mac because of the unsupported graphics. They seem to be nigh on impossible to get to work even with editing the .sgr files.
    apple-signature.png
    Tremayne: OK, I'll give that a go. Thanks. :)

BluebellFlora: I've played LN on this Mac before (just not since El Capitan). Most of my simming has been done with LN installed, and probably about half of it has been in Bridgeport.
    magrathean wrote: »
    Tremayne: OK, I'll give that a go. Thanks. :)

BluebellFlora: I've played LN on this Mac before (just not since El Capitan). Most of my simming has been done with LN installed, and probably about half of it has been in Bridgeport.

I understand but El Capitan may be part of the problem. It was a relatively large OS update with a lot of new implementation. The disc error issue is as a result of upgrading to El Capitan too.

apple-signature.png
    Well, I tried that and, as BluebellFlora predicted, I couldn't get the game to run after installing Ambitions (base game + super-patch worked fine). I didn't even try the other EPs.

I don't mind being unable to play Ambitions, but I love LN and wouldn't like to play without that. Is there anything else I could try?
    Well, I tried that and, as BluebellFlora predicted, I couldn't get the game to run after installing Ambitions (base game + super-patch worked fine). I didn't even try the other EPs.

I don't mind being unable to play Ambitions, but I love LN and wouldn't like to play without that. Is there anything else I could try?

I can't remember if LN has it's own GraphicsCard.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files but have you tried copying the .sgr files from another EP that works and pasting them into the LN Bin folder? I'm presuming you've read the instructions on editing the files :)

apple-signature.png
    I'd read other instructions, but I gave those a read and did what they said. Replacing IvyBridge with IntelIrisPro in the main game files didn't do anything; I couldn't do that in the Ambitions files because the lines which needed to be replaced weren't there (I assume the LN ones are the same), but I replaced some other graphics card with IntelIrisPro, which didn't work either.

Thanks for all your help. :)
    I tried replacing the GraphicsRules.sgr file in Ambitions and LN with the one in Pets. Pets doesn't have a GraphicsCards.sgr file, so I left that alone. I then tried to open Ambitions and LN individually from The Sims 3 > show package contents > Contents > Resources > AddOns, and on both occasions I was asked to update (which I did), but then I had the same problem as before ("Unknown error occurred"). I then replaced GraphicsCards.sgr from Ambitions and LN with the one in the base game (which I had edited with the lines the instructions said to edit), which also resulted in the error. I finally changed GraphicsRules.sgr in Ambitions and LN for the one in the base game, which also resulted in an error.

At this point, I'm about to just give up. TS3 was fun while it lasted, but I guess I'll wait for TS5 or some patch of TS4 which solves its current gameplay issues. Thanks again to all of you for all your help.
    I'd read other instructions, but I gave those a read and did what they said. Replacing IvyBridge with IntelIrisPro in the main game files didn't do anything; I couldn't do that in the Ambitions files because the lines which needed to be replaced weren't there (I assume the LN ones are the same), but I replaced some other graphics card with IntelIrisPro, which didn't work either.

Thanks for all your help. :)

If they're not there just add the lines in from the base game .sgr file. It won't hurt to add them in, providing it's in the right bit under the Intel section.

apple-signature.png
    Did so — to no avail. :(
  • stephwodckestephwodcke Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I'm struggling to get the sims 3 to work on my MacBook 13" Mid 2012 since the OS Sierra update.

I have followed instructions of uninstalling everything, then downloading the base game, then running the super patch. However, after I follow instructions of running the super patch I get the error:

"You cannot apply this patch on this version of the application... Please Reinstall".

Does anyone know what I can do? :(

Thanks!